Tampa Bay Rays Celebrate By Drinking Beer Out Of A Cup
MLB

I'm Sure This Is Perfectly Sanitary

9/29/08 in MLB   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

It's of course tradition to celebrate making the MLB playoffs by going nuts, popping champagne bottles and swigging beer.

What's not so traditional is this method of drinking beer used by Rays outfielder Johnny Gomes after the Rays clinched the AL East on Friday. Yes, that's indeed a cup in Gomes's hand.



But there's no way he actually drank out of it, right? I mean that would just be gross beyond belief, especially considering word is that the cup had actually been used by a teammate. Um.....



By the way, Gomes even managed to get skipper Joe Maddon to take a swig of the magical athletic cup elixir a little later. I'm sure Maddon was thrilled to do that.

Hey, it just goes to show you that you should never underestimate team chemistry. If anything, the Rays have too much it. WAY too much of it.

The Rays are big supporters of celebrating an Al East title [
Big League Stew]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

9/29/10   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

greggferrara wrote:
 Why are the Rays wearing AL East Champions shirts when all they clinched was a playoff berth?

Because this article is 2 years old.

9/28/10   |   greggferrara

 Why are the Rays wearing AL East Champions shirts when all they clinched was a playoff berth?

10/1/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

"As for being a Red Sox fan - you said yourself, you root for them because you're from Massachusetts. What does being from Massachusetts have to do with knowing and understanding baseball?"

Nothing. Which is why the fact that I am a Red Sox fan has nothing to do with my knowledge of baseball. Just like the fact that you're NOT a Sox fan has nothing to do with your understanding of the game.

"This is stupid. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. Enjoy your team all you want. We'll see which of is still rooting in a couple weeks, won't we?"

The Angels will most likely beat both of our teams, so it will be irrelevant anyway.

10/1/08   |   MannyStiles

Joe Maddon was the Angels' bench coach in 2002.

And lots of teams have won DESPITE their lack of experience... If you want me to list them all, it'll take QUITE a while. Just starting from 1990, the '90 Reds, the '91 Twins, the '92 Blue Jays, '96 Yankees, '97 Marlins, '01 Diamondbacks, '02 Angels, '03 Marlins, '05 White Sox... Gee, that's HALF the teams that won a series since 1990...

How does a player get "experience" anyway?


As for being a Red Sox fan - you said yourself, you root for them because you're from Massachusetts. What does being from Massachusetts have to do with knowing and understanding baseball?

I've been coached by some notable managers and have enough experience and dealings with former players (including several Hall of Famers)  that I am confident in my understanding in the game.

I am out of touch with fans... much the way a movie producer is out of touch with movie goers. I know what goes on behind the veil.

You're right! I've spent too much time behind the scenes to fall for the regurgitations and mass hypnosis of "typical fans". Sue me for having the ability to see things for what they are instead of what everyone is being told, but don't disregard me! I really might just know all about what I'm writing, eh?


This is stupid. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you. Enjoy your team all you want. We'll see which of is still rooting in a couple weeks, won't we?

10/1/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

That doesn't change the fact that you said: "that's why I'm not a Red Sox fan; because I actually KNOW and UNDERSTAND the game of baseball!"

... as if being a Red Sox fan is equivalent to not knowing and understanding the game of baseball. You're not the first person to play baseball growing up, or to have aspirations of playing pro ball. And the fact that you were scouted by pro teams means absolutely nothing in terms of your ability to assess the game. Nor is anyone impressed be the fact that you essentially sold your fanhood to the highest bidder. To be honest, you seem out of touch with the average fan, and in a world of your own.

I'm not questioning your knowledge, your fanhood, or anything else. Nor do I think that the Rays don't have a chance. However, I do think that Joe Maddon and the rest of the team don't have the playoff experience that a lot of other teams do, and there have been countless examples in history where a more experienced team was able to draw from that experience, and use it to gain success over a "better" team. The fact that you completely discard that notion speaks to your blind naivety.

10/1/08   |   MannyStiles

I'm a Red Sox fan because I am from Massachusetts, and I support my home teams. My understanding of baseball has nothing to do with it.


Ugh... here we go again.

Look, I am a baseball fan because I LOVE baseball. Always have. I played baseball in college and semi-pro leagues until I got hurt at age 22. I was scouted by the Brewers, Cubs and Braves in the early nineties. I played with and against guys that had long careers in the majors. I thought I was ALWAYS going to play baseball. And I didn't have a "favorite team" because whoever was willing to pay me to play would become my "favorite team". But life had different plans for me. I don't get flustered by "star" players when I meet them because I only wish I could play the game along side of them... They aren't my heroes or idols. They are dudes doing what I came close to doing. And I've met and interviewed and picked the brains of many "stars"... Yes, I understand the game a little differently - I understand the thousands of fundamental drills I had to do and I understand the business aspect (I was a Sports Admin Major in college).

No, I am NOT an ordinary Rays fan. I became a Rays fan because I auctioned myself - after being called a bandwagon jumper because I had stated I love baseball and not a particular team - as a "Charity Blogger" to raise money for AIDS awareness in February 2007 and Rays team President Matt Silverman "Won" my services.

I've met the front office, chatted with the general manager, interviewed most of the players and coaches - including the embattled ones that aren't on the team anymore - I shot the shit with the beat writers, even met the highly overrated Erin Andrews in the Rays lockerroom and then talked with the players about her lack of actual hotness in person, I questioned the stadium personel, interviewed long-time fans, and spent a lot of time with Joe Maddon. I covered the Arizona Fall League and watched the development of Evan Longoria and Reid Brignac, and John Jaso from arm's distance. I talked with players who knew David Price and shared his agent about what kind of person he is. I understand more than "stats" or jersey numbers... I've met these guys, analyzed these guys, I see their makeup - the Rays target a specific type of player; optimistic, unflappable and driven while Joe Maddon is the ultimate motivator - I understand the plan and the method... so, yeah... I know it's hard to believe there's people out there like me, but I'm not "just" a fan.


My "contractual obligation" was only for one year but I stayed on because I saw with an un-biased opinion what they were doing there and I REALLY liked it.


That's why I was the "crazy guy" that predicted the Rays would win the East this year - I didn't "hope" or "want" - because of all the evidence I was presented and my passionate understanding of baseball history, it was undeniable.


Now: Will they win the World Series? They definitely can, that's what I know. I believe they can, that's what I feel. But I really don't care because no matter what, this season was a tremendous success and besides it's one year ahead of the plan... the Rays are going to be a force for many years to come. That's a guarantee!

9/30/08   |   Chief_aka_James   |   3307 respect

MannyStiles wrote:
Pitching and defense with the help of timely hitting and productive role players wins MOST World Series. I don't see any team that has more quality pitching, a better defense, more timely hitters or as many productive role players as the Rays do...

The Rays won more one run games than AANY team in baseball this year... they KNOW how to win playoff games - they've played in a playoff mentality ALL SEASON.

NEVER understimate Joe Maddon.

!) I'm not just "this dude" - and I'm no "ordinary fan"

2) I don't assume anything... that's why I'm not a Red Sox fan; because I actually KNOW and UNDERSTAND the game of baseball!

3) I just think it's hilarious that you assume they WON'T win the World Series because they never made the playoffs before.... It's 2008, not any other year. Stop living in the past!

You say they've been in a playoff mentality; sure, I've heard that from teams before - but once you get there; its undeniable to the players, coaches, and fans alike - it is still different.

Yes, the Rays have quality pitchers. Young, quality pitchers. You don't think young guys that did well in the regular season have ever been rattled their first go-around in the postseason?

Yes, the Rays have timely hitters. Are you saying, never this season, those bats got a little cold, and couldn't bring in the runner from 2nd or 3rd, that ended up being the deciding factor in a loss?

You say you're no "ordinary fan", are the Tampa Bay Rays not an "ordinary team"..are they not susceptible to the same kinda thing almost all young MLB teams when they have showed signs of nervousness, and couldn't handle some postseason pressure?

9/30/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

MannyStiles wrote:
Pitching and defense with the help of timely hitting and productive role players wins MOST World Series. I don't see any team that has more quality pitching, a better defense, more timely hitters or as many productive role players as the Rays do...

The Rays won more one run games than AANY team in baseball this year... they KNOW how to win playoff games - they've played in a playoff mentality ALL SEASON.

NEVER understimate Joe Maddon.

!) I'm not just "this dude" - and I'm no "ordinary fan"

2) I don't assume anything... that's why I'm not a Red Sox fan; because I actually KNOW and UNDERSTAND the game of baseball!

3) I just think it's hilarious that you assume they WON'T win the World Series because they never made the playoffs before.... It's 2008, not any other year. Stop living in the past!

"they KNOW how to win playoff games - they've played in a playoff mentality ALL SEASON"

There's no possible way that statement can be true, yet, since the franchise has NEVER played a single playoff game. MAYBE they will prove that they can, but right now, you can't reasonably say that.

"I'm not just "this dude" - and I'm no "ordinary fan""

We all like to think that, don't we?

"that's why I'm not a Red Sox fan; because I actually KNOW and UNDERSTAND the game of baseball!"

Most. Ridiculous. Statement. Ever.

I'm a Red Sox fan because I am from Massachusetts, and I support my home teams. My understanding of baseball has nothing to do with it.

"I just think it's hilarious that you assume they WON'T win the World Series because they never made the playoffs before.... It's 2008, not any other year. Stop living in the past!"

When you say "the past", are you talking about last year's World Series Champions, who have nearly their entire team still intact? I'm not assuming the Rays will lose. I realize that they have a great chance to succeed. I am merely predicting they won't, once they face the Angels.

9/30/08   |   MannyStiles

Pitching and defense with the help of timely hitting and productive role players wins MOST World Series. I don't see any team that has more quality pitching, a better defense, more timely hitters or as many productive role players as the Rays do...

The Rays won more one run games than AANY team in baseball this year... they KNOW how to win playoff games - they've played in a playoff mentality ALL SEASON.

NEVER understimate Joe Maddon.

!) I'm not just "this dude" - and I'm no "ordinary fan"

2) I don't assume anything... that's why I'm not a Red Sox fan; because I actually KNOW and UNDERSTAND the game of baseball!

3) I just think it's hilarious that you assume they WON'T win the World Series because they never made the playoffs before.... It's 2008, not any other year. Stop living in the past!

9/30/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Nate wrote:
You know, what I do like about this team, is they beat the odds and managed to win at least a few fans out of Yankee/Redsox territory.  Tampa hasn't been given a lot of chance by anyone, and most of the people in their market are actually die hards for the Yankees and the Redsox, because well they are snow birds.  It gives me a little bit of faith in MLB that a team that wasn't anywhere near the wealthiest was able to steal some of the thunder from those rich New England region teams.  Admit it Pat, it's impressive. 

Never, at any point, have I said that the Rays weren't impressive. I just think it's hilarious when this dude just assumes that they'll win the WS, just because they made the playoffs.

9/30/08   |   Nate   |   128 respect

Pat wrote:
"You do know that the Regular season and Playoffs are, in fact, different. Being you are a Rays fan, perhaps not."

Of course not... Rays fans don't know the first thing about the playoffs. Why would they? They're playoff virgins.

You know, what I do like about this team, is they beat the odds and managed to win at least a few fans out of Yankee/Redsox territory.  Tampa hasn't been given a lot of chance by anyone, and most of the people in their market are actually die hards for the Yankees and the Redsox, because well they are snow birds.  It gives me a little bit of faith in MLB that a team that wasn't anywhere near the wealthiest was able to steal some of the thunder from those rich New England region teams.  Admit it Pat, it's impressive. 

9/30/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Chief_aka_James wrote:
You do know that the Regular season and Playoffs are, in fact, different. Being you are a Rays fan, perhaps not.

Good records against the other teams in the regular season is all fine and dandy; but you might realize the differences very soon.

I'm not putting down the team at all, I'm pretty confident they'll make it to the LCS atleast, but a leading argument isn't how games in April against the Twins (by the way, Twins/Tampa are 3-3 this year, not a winning record ) and Chi Sox went, or the sweep against LA way back in May.

"You do know that the Regular season and Playoffs are, in fact, different. Being you are a Rays fan, perhaps not."

Of course not... Rays fans don't know the first thing about the playoffs. Why would they? They're playoff virgins.

9/30/08   |   Chief_aka_James   |   3307 respect

MannyStiles wrote:
Doesn't matter how many times you've been there... it's who is there LAST that matters.

Have fun getting swept BoSox fan! The Rays have a winning record this season against ALL the teams in the playoffs (including Twins and White Sox)
(Edited by Chief_aka_James)

You do know that the Regular season and Playoffs are, in fact, different. Being you are a Rays fan, perhaps not.

Good records against the other teams in the regular season is all fine and dandy; but you might realize the differences very soon.

I'm not putting down the team at all, I'm pretty confident they'll make it to the LCS atleast, but a leading argument isn't how games in April against the Twins (by the way, Twins/Tampa are 3-3 this year, not a winning record ) and Chi Sox went, or the sweep against LA way back in May.

9/30/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

MannyStiles wrote:
Doesn't matter how many times you've been there... it's who is there LAST that matters.

Have fun getting swept BoSox fan! The Rays have a winning record this season against ALL the teams in the playoffs (including Twins and White Sox)

The Sox probably won't beat the Angels... I'm a realist. But if you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that the Rays won't either. Their lack of playoff experience will come back to bite them, just like it did to the Tigers in 2006.

9/30/08   |   MannyStiles

Pat wrote:
They're just acting like a team that has never been to the playoffs before. These things happen.

Doesn't matter how many times you've been there... it's who is there LAST that matters.

Have fun getting swept BoSox fan! The Rays have a winning record this season against ALL the teams in the playoffs (including Twins and White Sox)

9/30/08   |   MannyStiles

Having met Jonny Gomes a couple times.... Good for him! Let him celebrate any way he wants to!!!

9/29/08   |   Chief_aka_James   |   3307 respect

Pat wrote:

It's a shame that I even have to say this, but that was sarcasm.

You know the saying "act like you've been there"? Well... obviously, the Rays are doing the exact opposite. And that was kinda my point.

Ahh, I guess I'm a little rusty Pat.

Haven't been on the internet for months to realize whether its sarcasm or not.

9/29/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Chief_aka_James wrote:
Are you defending drinking out of a cup, really?

It's a shame that I even have to say this, but that was sarcasm.

You know the saying "act like you've been there"? Well... obviously, the Rays are doing the exact opposite. And that was kinda my point.

9/29/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

I don't know which is worse, drinking beer from a cup or drinking Bud Light from a cup.

9/29/08   |   Chief_aka_James   |   3307 respect

Pat wrote:
They're just acting like a team that has never been to the playoffs before. These things happen.

Are you defending drinking out of a cup, really?

9/29/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

They're just acting like a team that has never been to the playoffs before. These things happen.