Teed Off Thursday: the Super Bowl, Peyton Manning & A Surprise

2/11/10 in General Sports   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

3-2-1...1-2-3...what the heck...is bothering me?  At least this week.

1) The Super Bowl halftime show is dead.

And by that, I mean literally dead.  Like one day, the act is just going to die on stage.  That's how old they are.  The Who?  Seriously?  How many people under the age of 30 thought that the halftime show was just a bunch of grandpa's on stage performing cover's of CSI theme songs?  I know I did.  Up until 2 weeks ago I thought "who are you" was a CSI original.  I had no idea it was a full song.  And please don't try and tell me that wasn't part of CBS's plan.

You could tell CBS knew how bad their halftime lineup was by the artists they chose to open the show with: Jay-Z and Rihanna.  Only their performance was pre-taped.  No surprises.  Though I still half expected Kayne West to interrupt Jay-Z and say, "Sorry Jay, I'mma let you finish, but Janet Jackson had one of the greatest Super Bowl performances of all times!"  And of course Janet is why nobody relevant is allowed to preform.  Could you imagine Lady Gaga at halftime?  Danger!  Danger!  But you know, it's gotten so bad I'd settle for Carrie Underwood at this point.  That's how desperate I am to be entertained by someone with a pulse.

2) I'm glad Peyton Manning didn't shake Drew Brees's hand.

Just like I'm glad that LeBron didn't shake Dwight Howard's hand (though I am absolutely thrilled that the media is giving Peyton a hard time just like LeBron).  These guys are paid to compete.  In no other line of work are people expected to congratulate their competitors.  If you got passed over for a job or promotion are you going to shake the guys hand?  If your company's competitor put you out of business are you going to say, "good game"?  Right after it happens?  No, you're going to be pissed, you're going to stew, but you're going to get over it.

What's the rush?  Why does he have to shake hands immediately after the game?  Why can't he have a couple of days to grieve, to be mad?  Isn't that his right?  It's not like he threw his helmet at Drew Brees, called him a cheater or "lucky" and then quit football.  He just didn't want to be bothered.  And it's not like it's easy to fight through the wave of family, team staff and reporters all on the field suffocating the winning quarterback.  Would he even hear your congrats?  Would it be anything more than a show?  We just like to make powerful people dance for us, that's what this is really about.  Well Peyton gets paid to dance in commercials, not for over-obsessive fans.

3) Not a damn thing.

I can't really think of anything else that got my blood-a-boiling this week.  Seriously.  I thought about forcing it and getting teed off at something stupid, but you deserve better than that, and truthfully I don't think I could fake it.  So if you'll allow me, I'd like to actually take this time to give some praise.

I mean my son is just a dream, but then again he's 9 month.  My nine year old stepson just joined a track team (my high school specialty) and chorus (encase my wife reads this), and more importantly is treating them both with the respect and responsibility they deserve.  Which I always knew he could do.  My wife is putting God first and is in much higher spirits (and we all know that a happy wife = a happy life).  Even my freaking dog has settled down a little (though he still pees inappropriately from time to time).  So I have no additional beefs this week.  God is good.

And if you're angry because I didn't rant about something here, then I'm angry that you can't just be happy for somebody sometimes.  So congratu-f***in'-lations, you are my #3 a--hole.

Beaze and all his crazy antics, featured articles and random thoughts are now on twitter @Beazewriter

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

2/16/10   |   nortonsfury   |   130 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
So you know Janet hadn't released an album in 9 years before that stunt.  She was no longer relevant.  She knew she needed to pull a stunt to get her name out there again.  Janet is no longer a HUGE name. She wasn't then and low and behold she isn't now.  Fact is that if it wasn't for her much popular brother she never would have been anything.  That is fact not opinion.  I'm not here disputing ratings.  Fact is that Super Bowl halftime shows were the lowest rated part of the game then and now. 

I never said that all the people who watched the Bowl were 30 and over.  Sure kids watch but with their father, mother, grandparents and their friends.  The core audience is over 30 and always has been.  The game is a national event but the commercials generate revenue for the league hence the huge bill advertisers pay for a 30 second spot.  Fact is people who don't like football have commercial parties.  There are more people in this world 30 and over then 29 and under. 

I am not going to dispute your thoughts that maybe somebody would want to see an act like Jay-Z or Justin Timberlake.  Nelly though?  I wont even discuss that.  Though I will say that since kids are watching the halftime show is no place for profanity laced acts.  Clean up the language and why not. 

What stats?  I said "almost nobody".   Most people didn't even notice during the show.  I know that because it was the most searched video on google and yahoo.  All people know about Janet's performance was she flashed her breast.  It is your opinion that The Who aren't relevant.  You must not have heard the crowd singing whe the band wasn't.  Bands like The Who stay relevant forever because they have left their mark on music.  Same as Sinatra, Elvis, Marvin Gaye, and Chuck Berry to name a few.  Relevance is earned.

My apologies on the Janet album miscue. I read some bad information. Get back to me when she has 7 albums in the top 100 of all time list. Or when her music has influenced a band like Led Zepplin, Pearl Jam Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and U2. The Who were ground breaking then and still continue to influence acts today. May not be your tastes but music is a matter of ones own liking. As for my "circle" sorry to inform you but my bias as you call it is a mix of many artists. Ones that include Metallica, Dr Dre, Jouney, The Roots, The Doors and even Janets far more talented brother. I listen to all types of music. Janet has seen a huge decline in sales as well as popularity. Her last album Discipline currently ranks at #96,450 on amazon.com and did only 455,000 sales in the US. While The Who, who are you album currently ranks at #264 overall as well as #'s 4, 15,19 in other lists. Like I said in a previous post The Who defined an entire generation of young people with one song. Janets highest album rank on Amazon is #759 for her number ones album. Her music is great for a short period of time but The Who have staying power. Jerry Jones place is small potatoes compared to the audience of of a reported 1.5 million people that converged on Woodstock in 1969. As a side note the last time The Who toured they sold out Giants Stadium all four nights. A feat that not to many people can say they accomplished. You are right relevance is a much broader term. The Who are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as well as having received Kennedy Center honors.

2/16/10   |   bandit657   |   10 respect

Peyton Manning just can't accept that he is not as great as his comercials say.

2/16/10   |   jasonwagner2   |   5 respect

jasonwagner2 wrote:
i have played organized and that is exactly why i am saying this. if i lost i always believed it was because i didnt do good enough rather than the other person or team did better than me, so why should i say good game to them when i dont believe that. i will agree with you that kids in pop warner up til college should have to congradulate the other team, but once you get to professional ball, they should not be ostracised for not congradulating the other team. also, i guarantee no one on the saints team knew peyton didnt shake anyone elses hand until the media brought it up cause they were too busy celebrating the win.

yeah he was frustrated after he threw the pick and he probably thought that he lost the game not that the saints won it so why should he have congradulated them when he beat himself? i will say that he should apologize to the kids, but it is ridiculous for him if he were to apologize to the saints or anyone else.

2/16/10   |   jasonwagner2   |   5 respect

jasonwagner2 wrote:
i didnt say they didnt have the right, i said it was stupid of them to rip them. if someone beats you, are you going to go over and congradulate them. NO. so why should athletes get ripped for doing the same thing any other person would do

i have played organized and that is exactly why i am saying this. if i lost i always believed it was because i didnt do good enough rather than the other person or team did better than me, so why should i say good game to them when i dont believe that. i will agree with you that kids in pop warner up til college should have to congradulate the other team, but once you get to professional ball, they should not be ostracised for not congradulating the other team. also, i guarantee no one on the saints team knew peyton didnt shake anyone elses hand until the media brought it up cause they were too busy celebrating the win.

2/16/10   |   ms_hippie_queen   |   30514 respect

i was thinking the exact same thing this morning about led zeppelin

2/15/10   |   namvet6963113   |   21 respect

No it not stupid,it call sports man ship. I am thinking that you must be a young man and not know that it has been going on in Pro sports for  many years. I am 59 and when I played ball in the late 50ties and 60ties we where taught  to do it like the pro's. Younger kids I guess made the statement I'm mad so I don't feel like congratulating them cause they beat me. I don't get it .... Pro get paid to act like pro's for the good of the fans. That why they don't  have to not act like regular people who are like you.

2/15/10   |   jasonwagner2   |   5 respect

i didnt say they didnt have the right, i said it was stupid of them to rip them. if someone beats you, are you going to go over and congradulate them. NO. so why should athletes get ripped for doing the same thing any other person would do

2/13/10   |   donm454   |   20 respect

I could see Muse playing at this in the next few years. THAT would be a treat!!

The stage at this year's was unbelievable. That was the best halftime show I've ever seen.

They do need to get younger, but honestly, there is so much garbage that's popular these days that I'm glad they're not. I dont want to see a Lady Gaga or Lil Wayne halftime show.

2/13/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
So you know Janet hadn't released an album in 9 years before that stunt.  She was no longer relevant.  She knew she needed to pull a stunt to get her name out there again.  Janet is no longer a HUGE name. She wasn't then and low and behold she isn't now.  Fact is that if it wasn't for her much popular brother she never would have been anything.  That is fact not opinion.  I'm not here disputing ratings.  Fact is that Super Bowl halftime shows were the lowest rated part of the game then and now. 

I never said that all the people who watched the Bowl were 30 and over.  Sure kids watch but with their father, mother, grandparents and their friends.  The core audience is over 30 and always has been.  The game is a national event but the commercials generate revenue for the league hence the huge bill advertisers pay for a 30 second spot.  Fact is people who don't like football have commercial parties.  There are more people in this world 30 and over then 29 and under. 

I am not going to dispute your thoughts that maybe somebody would want to see an act like Jay-Z or Justin Timberlake.  Nelly though?  I wont even discuss that.  Though I will say that since kids are watching the halftime show is no place for profanity laced acts.  Clean up the language and why not. 

What stats?  I said "almost nobody".   Most people didn't even notice during the show.  I know that because it was the most searched video on google and yahoo.  All people know about Janet's performance was she flashed her breast.  It is your opinion that The Who aren't relevant.  You must not have heard the crowd singing whe the band wasn't.  Bands like The Who stay relevant forever because they have left their mark on music.  Same as Sinatra, Elvis, Marvin Gaye, and Chuck Berry to name a few.  Relevance is earned.

For the record, Janet Jackson has 7 multi-platinum albums in the last 28 years.

The Who have 6 multi platinum album in the last 40 years (meaning they have had more to sell albums).

So again, saying the Who are better than Janet Jackson is just your opinion, not fact.

A real fact is Janet Jackson did the Super Bowl to promote your NEW album (Damita Jo) which by the way was one of those platinum records.  And she released another album only 3 years before (not 9) that was called All For You (another one of those platinum albums).

My advice...step outside your circle...do a little research...and then maybe you will see past your own tastes and biases to form a more educated conclusion.

But, all that isn't even the point.  I don't doubt that the Who are legendary (even though they aren't my taste because my taste doesn't matter).  I simply said they are no longer relevant.  Sure they can still sell out an arena but that's what?  10,000 people?  100,000 in Jerry Jones house?  Relevancy is a much broader term.

2/12/10   |   nortonsfury   |   130 respect

Beaze wrote:
The problem with your statement is it's not based in facts.  It's your opinion.  Or rather the opinions of people in your circle, who you've talked to.  The actually ratings of Janet's Super Bowl halftime show may be different, so you can't make a blanket statement like, "nobody saw the actual performance" when for all you know it was the most watched live Super Bowl halftime ever.  Janet is a HUGE name.  HUGE.

I doubt that all 100 million people who watched the Super bowl on TV were 30+ year old football fans.  A lot of them are common viewer. The Super Bowl is a NATIONAL event and not just for Football fans (hence the commercials).

Therefore a large majority of Super Bowl viewers are kids, teens and non-sports fans.  Thus, a crowd that probably likes Janet, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, Jay-Z, etc...

So I seriously doubt "nobody" watched and loved Janet's performance, and these statistics are the basis for my argument that the majority of Super Bowl viewers (not football fans) would prefer to see someone relevant, rather than The Who.

So you know Janet hadn't released an album in 9 years before that stunt.  She was no longer relevant.  She knew she needed to pull a stunt to get her name out there again.  Janet is no longer a HUGE name. She wasn't then and low and behold she isn't now.  Fact is that if it wasn't for her much popular brother she never would have been anything.  That is fact not opinion.  I'm not here disputing ratings.  Fact is that Super Bowl halftime shows were the lowest rated part of the game then and now. 

I never said that all the people who watched the Bowl were 30 and over.  Sure kids watch but with their father, mother, grandparents and their friends.  The core audience is over 30 and always has been.  The game is a national event but the commercials generate revenue for the league hence the huge bill advertisers pay for a 30 second spot.  Fact is people who don't like football have commercial parties.  There are more people in this world 30 and over then 29 and under. 

I am not going to dispute your thoughts that maybe somebody would want to see an act like Jay-Z or Justin Timberlake.  Nelly though?  I wont even discuss that.  Though I will say that since kids are watching the halftime show is no place for profanity laced acts.  Clean up the language and why not. 

What stats?  I said "almost nobody".   Most people didn't even notice during the show.  I know that because it was the most searched video on google and yahoo.  All people know about Janet's performance was she flashed her breast.  It is your opinion that The Who aren't relevant.  You must not have heard the crowd singing whe the band wasn't.  Bands like The Who stay relevant forever because they have left their mark on music.  Same as Sinatra, Elvis, Marvin Gaye, and Chuck Berry to name a few.  Relevance is earned.

2/12/10   |   namvet6963113   |   21 respect

(Edited by namvet6963113)

In popwarner football,that's football for young kids learning the game they teach sportsmanship which mean that kids have more class than Mr. Manning. he wants the glory of a win and runs like the spoil brat that he is when he looses. The media gave him the praise,and have the right to tell him when he is off the mark. It come with Greatness the bitter with the sweet. Manning need to lose some more to bring him back to earth.

2/12/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

yeah, i made that up. but i actually did think that he forgot when i saw him walk off. He's lost playoff games before and he didnt do that so i gave him the benefit of the doubt i guess.

2/12/10   |   jasonwagner2   |   5 respect

completely agree with #2, i think that if a player doesnt want to congradulate the winning team after a lose, they shouldnt have to. also the fact that the players that dont(peyton, lebron), get ripped in the media is just stupid, they have every right to not congradulate the other team

2/12/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

Peyton forgot...he thought it was just another loss like in the regular season. thats all.

2/12/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

yes...the race card was only for you since i'm not a "blame it on the man" type of chick.!  and if by Jimi you mean Hendrix. Hell no...would you have? But if it was Snoop or Tevin Campbell...hell yeah we would complain!

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

Okay, you need facts.  You are delusional.  I honestly recommend educating yourself with a TV course or anything that may help you understand how ratings work.  Get outside of your small circle and ask worldly people.  The facts are this.

"

There is a popular urban myth regarding the Super Bowl — that the game is watched in 234 countries by 1 billion people, a fact unlikely to be true considering the time of the event, and the lack of popularity American Football has outside of the United States. In actual fact, Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005 was watched by 93 million viewers in total, of which 98 percent were in North America. Approximately half of the remaining 2 million worldwide viewers watched from the United Kingdom."

The Super Bowl is NOT a world wide game, no matter how many times Goodell sends teams to the UK, which is why that is going to stop soon as well.

Furthermore, Janet and the Jackson family are CLEARLY worldwide.  No artist sells out worldwide like her brother Michael did and there is a trickle down effect.

Again, I'm not mocking you, I've been working in this industry for 5 years now and I went to college to study it and I grew up loving it.  But you should really check out some of the studies.  It may surprise and interest you.

2/12/10   |   The_Real_Stoney   |   25684 respect

I like the Who, and Daltry's voice 40 years ago, but at halftime of the Super Bowl in 2010? meh.. At least Pete Townshend took 20 minutes off from searching for child porn

2/12/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

uhhh...my president is black.

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

kobe_lova wrote:
Beaze, you havent had this many posts, this fast since you started this. All of these people must live in Who-ville. Good grief? Who really cares. The Who performed! YOU WON people.

hahaha, I don't think I've ever pissed this many people off this fast either.  Geez, you knock the who and everyone is upset.

I still don't believe people should get upset over a stupid handshake, but whatever.  Just my opinion.  People make choices, and people make mistakes, get over it.  Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

I'm not talking NFL fans here.  I'm taking big picture.  Big picture is that nearly 60% of the super bowl audience is a non-NFL purist and they are the reason the NFL/Networks get to charge 2-5 million dollars for a 30 second commercial...so if the NFL really wanted to draw more of them...they'd have a relavent Halftime performance.

I understand that all you die-hard sports fans want what you want, but this isn't about you.  It's bigger than you.  It's business.  And business says that playing it safe can turn around and bite you in the a**.

2/12/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

Beaze, you havent had this many posts, this fast since you started this. All of these people must live in Who-ville. Good grief? Who really cares. The Who performed! YOU WON people.

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

(Edited by Beaze)

Not disputing that NFL purist don't listen to Hip-Hop.

The was the hightest rated Super Bowl ever.  But the ratings are broken down into 30 minutes blocks (which is why sometimes the first half of a 1 hour drama does better then the second half if say...viewers turn to their favorite sitcom).  Therefore the Super Bowl is broken into about 6 or 7 30 minutes segments.  So the halftime show has a different rating then the game.

That's how ratings work.  Therefore for it's entirely possible (and likely) that the halftime show has a different rating then the game itself.  So while the game may be the most watched, the halftime show could be the LEAST watched at the same time.  I just can't get a hold of the segments rating to say so with any facts.

And again, no, the NFL purist don't listen to hip-Hop.  But the NFL purists are also the ones going to the bathroom during halftime, making beer runs, etc...  So halftime isn't really for them.  the CASUAL watcher and the non-sports fans are watching for the commercials and great halftime entertainment.

And seeing as how 100 million people watched the Super Bowl and only about 10 million NFL fans watch each regular season game on CBS and FOX, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nearly half that audience (50 millions for those at home) were NON-NFL purist and that's being generous.

So like I said, the halftime show is not for "the group that keeps the league afloat," It's not for the season ticket holders, because the facts are........those people are going to watch the game if ELMO performed at halftime.  So the NFL doesn't have to cater to them.  Not a single NFL purist is going to quit watching football if Hanna Montana performed at halftime.  You're too addicted.

To break it down:  They have your money already, just by playing the game.  They don't need to please you at halftime to.  That's not good for business.

2/12/10   |   maddhatter6691   |   7918 respect

Totally agree the Who put on a good show for a bunch of old men, And the light show/ stage set up was great. If the half time show would have been a bunch of hip~hop crap. I would have just changed channels until 2nd half

2/12/10   |   maddhatter6691   |   7918 respect

Very well said

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

(Edited by Beaze)

That's actually not totally true.  The spenders are Males 18-49.  They are the "money group" most TV networks go after.  Yes there are niche groups like the 13-25 crowd (CW) and the 35-60 crowd (CBS), but the core audience is 18-49 and that's who generally shows up for the Super Bowl.

And the audience that "keeps the league afloat" is going to show up to watch the Super Bowl no matter who's playing at halftime, so the NFL is in no rush to please them.  They don't have to.  The halftime show and commercials attract the NON-sports fans.

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

don-k70726 wrote:
Well if you ever played the game you would know that all that was is a lack of class or respect for you opponent. Sports is not the same as competing in the business world This is a game where you congratulate your competitor Did you watch the end of the game Drew was looking for Mr, Classless Peyton Manning but as we all know he left because he felt it would take away from Drew. He left that's all BULL SH*t He is from New Orleans born an raised here. ALL HE IS, IS A CLASSLESS A$$ HOLE THAT WANTED TO BE THE MAN THAT MADE THE PLAY THAT WON THE SUPER BOWL!! Well may be he was Pass to Tracy Porter for the winning TD Suck on that a while TEED OFF cause the Colts Lost The Saint are now 1 and 0 in there Superbowl games can you say that ????????????? Geaux Saints!!!     

Spoken like a true Saints fan...

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

hapkido_warrior wrote:
 your mad about the who? okay, because there was one lousy half time show, the half time show is now completely dead. and your desperate to be entertained during the half time show? who watches the superbowl for the half time show? are you a woman? you mine as well tell me your angry that the commercials weren't as funny this year. (not to say they were or weren't i just dont care about the quality of the commercials)
secondly, it's one thing to not be mad about shaking the other guys hand...but to encourage him not to? are you saying you would be more "teed off" if he had shaken his hand. It's just good sportsmanship and on one hand i understand if they're angry and don't feel like walking around congratulating the other team, i certainly wouldn't discourage it and fume about how there is pressure on them to shake hands with the other guy.

The commercials did suck. And ONE lousy Halftime show?  They haven't had a single decent one since Janet, as I mentioned.  Nobody cares about these artists anymore.  And yes I care about the entertainment value of the Super Bowl.  It's more than a game, it's an event.  But at least you know women liked to be entertained, that's good.

And I don't care one way or the other if Peyton shakes hands or not.  My problem is fans and media people jumping on his case like he shot somebody, when I really don't think fans, nor the media are in any position to play the moral police.

2/12/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
Almost nobody saw Janet reveal herself that night.  Though it was the most googled event the next day.  The NFL since then has taken the high road.  They have chosen acts that they know will be about the music and not about political agenda, or revealing yourself on stage in an attempt to make yourself relevant again.

The problem with your statement is it's not based in facts.  It's your opinion.  Or rather the opinions of people in your circle, who you've talked to.  The actually ratings of Janet's Super Bowl halftime show may be different, so you can't make a blanket statement like, "nobody saw the actual performance" when for all you know it was the most watched live Super Bowl halftime ever.  Janet is a HUGE name.  HUGE.

I doubt that all 100 million people who watched the Super bowl on TV were 30+ year old football fans.  A lot of them are common viewer. The Super Bowl is a NATIONAL event and not just for Football fans (hence the commercials).

Therefore a large majority of Super Bowl viewers are kids, teens and non-sports fans.  Thus, a crowd that probably likes Janet, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, Jay-Z, etc...

So I seriously doubt "nobody" watched and loved Janet's performance, and these statistics are the basis for my argument that the majority of Super Bowl viewers (not football fans) would prefer to see someone relevant, rather than The Who.

2/12/10   |   ms_hippie_queen   |   30514 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
Almost nobody saw Janet reveal herself that night.  Though it was the most googled event the next day.  The NFL since then has taken the high road.  They have chosen acts that they know will be about the music and not about political agenda, or revealing yourself on stage in an attempt to make yourself relevant again.

2/12/10   |   nortonsfury   |   130 respect

Beaze wrote:
I would actually like to see nielsen put out some number for halftime viewership.  I wouldn't be surprised if their was a serious dip since Janet Jackson (in terms of the percentage of people watching the super bowl who stick around to watch the halftime show).

Almost nobody saw Janet reveal herself that night.  Though it was the most googled event the next day.  The NFL since then has taken the high road.  They have chosen acts that they know will be about the music and not about political agenda, or revealing yourself on stage in an attempt to make yourself relevant again.

2/12/10   |   nortonsfury   |   130 respect

kobe_lova wrote:
well there are plenty of people with millions of fans. thats my point but i think they could have picked a group with a more diverse group of fans.  whats that other old group thats on tour again...sorry it took me a long time to recall them...Journey. i wouldve been okay with journey.  and yes patti labelle would have been just for me.

Well there are many acts with millions of fans I agree. Journey is a great band with a very diverse group of fans but The Who are also a great band with a very diverse group of fans. Think about Woodstock and all the different groups of people that converged on that small New York town. A very diverse group of people came to see bands like The Who. The song My Generation (which sadly they did not play) was used to describe an entire group of individuals. Music is in the eye of the beholder though.

2/12/10   |   mrward51   |   46 respect

Who really cares about the halftime show,,im usually flyin off to the fridge for additional beverages..LOL..Lets really get into the game, put the cameras in each locker room so I can hear some ARSE!!!!  Chewin.

2/12/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

WBKsports wrote:
 When it comes back to So-CAL, I'd like to see some Snoop Dogg and maybe The Game run the show at halftime along with some other hip-hop artists sprinkled in the mix...

2/12/10   |   namvet6963113   |   21 respect

don-k70726 wrote:
Well if you ever played the game you would know that all that was is a lack of class or respect for you opponent. Sports is not the same as competing in the business world This is a game where you congratulate your competitor Did you watch the end of the game Drew was looking for Mr, Classless Peyton Manning but as we all know he left because he felt it would take away from Drew. He left that's all BULL SH*t He is from New Orleans born an raised here. ALL HE IS, IS A CLASSLESS A$$ HOLE THAT WANTED TO BE THE MAN THAT MADE THE PLAY THAT WON THE SUPER BOWL!! Well may be he was Pass to Tracy Porter for the winning TD Suck on that a while TEED OFF cause the Colts Lost The Saint are now 1 and 0 in there Superbowl games can you say that ????????????? Geaux Saints!!!     

Very well stated.You bro are with the right crowd!!!

2/12/10   |   maddhatter6691   |   7918 respect

arv3403 wrote:
All I have to say is the who is a classic band, csi is an awful show, the stage was one of the best designed and creative I have seen, and the show itself was better than the last 5, I loath pop with a passion. Oh yeah, I'm 21.

Yes the Who is a classic band and they had a great light show and stage set up, But I like CSI

2/12/10   |   maddhatter6691   |   7918 respect

don-k70726 wrote:
Well if you ever played the game you would know that all that was is a lack of class or respect for you opponent. Sports is not the same as competing in the business world This is a game where you congratulate your competitor Did you watch the end of the game Drew was looking for Mr, Classless Peyton Manning but as we all know he left because he felt it would take away from Drew. He left that's all BULL SH*t He is from New Orleans born an raised here. ALL HE IS, IS A CLASSLESS A$$ HOLE THAT WANTED TO BE THE MAN THAT MADE THE PLAY THAT WON THE SUPER BOWL!! Well may be he was Pass to Tracy Porter for the winning TD Suck on that a while TEED OFF cause the Colts Lost The Saint are now 1 and 0 in there Superbowl games can you say that ????????????? Geaux Saints!!!     

Very well said I am out of respects but you deserve 1 this is the best I can do

2/12/10   |   WBKsports   |   366 respect

 Oh yeah...I'm 37, and I've grown up on Hip-Hop...I also grew up on rock and roll and metal...Tom Petty was classic a few years back at Halftime, but the Who weren't very good last Sunday...Too much CSI going on or something...I don't know...

2/12/10   |   WBKsports   |   366 respect

BluDevil wrote:
I'd love to see the Chili Peppers rock half time the next time the SB is in Cali... since the game is in TX next year I bet we get some country act... George Strait?

 When it comes back to So-CAL, I'd like to see some Snoop Dogg and maybe The Game run the show at halftime along with some other hip-hop artists sprinkled in the mix...

2/12/10   |   arv3403   |   20 respect

All I have to say is the who is a classic band, csi is an awful show, the stage was one of the best designed and creative I have seen, and the show itself was better than the last 5, I loath pop with a passion. Oh yeah, I'm 21.

2/11/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
Sade while she may be a favorite of yours is not going to appeal to many people watching the Super Bowl. It just isn't the venue for that type of music. I can see Aerosmith (if they were still together) or Bon Jovi because they are considered to be pop music. As for Carrie Underwood or Daughtry while they are both talented Super Bowl half time appearances are earned and quite honestly they aren't quite at that level yet. Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder don't quite fit the label of what the NFL is looking for in an act. Not saying that they stink or nothing like that. Patti Labelle? Once again great singer but let me know when the NFL becomes a slow dance league. The Who? Why them? Why not them? Many hit songs, Millions of fans world wide young, old, black, white, asian. Once again a band that defined a generation. By chance did you hear the crowd singing? It may not appeal to you but millions of people around the world are Who fans.

well there are plenty of people with millions of fans. thats my point but i think they could have picked a group with a more diverse group of fans.  whats that other old group thats on tour again...sorry it took me a long time to recall them...Journey. i wouldve been okay with journey.  and yes patti labelle would have been just for me.

2/11/10   |   nortonsfury   |   130 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
The Who are an iconic band that appeals to a much broader audience then Jay-Z.  If you dont know who The Who are I suggest you turn on the radio and listen to something pre 1998.  The Who defined a young generation with there music.  The Who are one of the greatest bands of all time.  I didn't hear any boos at the Super Bowl.  Did you?  You get bands like U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty not only because of Janet Jackson but for years the bowls largest audience shut the half time show off because it wasnt appealing to them.  As for Peyton Manning and Lebron James two of the biggest stars in their respective sports.  Shame on them for being selfish.  They are role models.  The two of them acted like babies.  The reason people get on them about it is because from day 1 you are always taught to show good sportsmanship when you are in pop warner or little league or childs basketball or any other sport.  At the end of every NHL game the players meet at center ice to shake hands.  Being a good sportsman is part of being a great role model.  They are in a position where children look up to them.  If they didn't want to be role models then they should have pursued other careers that aren't in the limelight. 

Sade while she may be a favorite of yours is not going to appeal to many people watching the Super Bowl. It just isn't the venue for that type of music. I can see Aerosmith (if they were still together) or Bon Jovi because they are considered to be pop music. As for Carrie Underwood or Daughtry while they are both talented Super Bowl half time appearances are earned and quite honestly they aren't quite at that level yet. Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder don't quite fit the label of what the NFL is looking for in an act. Not saying that they stink or nothing like that. Patti Labelle? Once again great singer but let me know when the NFL becomes a slow dance league. The Who? Why them? Why not them? Many hit songs, Millions of fans world wide young, old, black, white, asian. Once again a band that defined a generation. By chance did you hear the crowd singing? It may not appeal to you but millions of people around the world are Who fans.

2/11/10   |   don-k70726   |   7 respect

Well if you ever played the game you would know that all that was is a lack of class or respect for you opponent. Sports is not the same as competing in the business world This is a game where you congratulate your competitor Did you watch the end of the game Drew was looking for Mr, Classless Peyton Manning but as we all know he left because he felt it would take away from Drew. He left that's all BULL SH*t He is from New Orleans born an raised here. ALL HE IS, IS A CLASSLESS A$$ HOLE THAT WANTED TO BE THE MAN THAT MADE THE PLAY THAT WON THE SUPER BOWL!! Well may be he was Pass to Tracy Porter for the winning TD Suck on that a while TEED OFF cause the Colts Lost The Saint are now 1 and 0 in there Superbowl games can you say that ????????????? Geaux Saints!!!     

2/11/10   |   hapkido_warrior   |   272 respect

 your mad about the who? okay, because there was one lousy half time show, the half time show is now completely dead. and your desperate to be entertained during the half time show? who watches the superbowl for the half time show? are you a woman? you mine as well tell me your angry that the commercials weren't as funny this year. (not to say they were or weren't i just dont care about the quality of the commercials)
secondly, it's one thing to not be mad about shaking the other guys hand...but to encourage him not to? are you saying you would be more "teed off" if he had shaken his hand. It's just good sportsmanship and on one hand i understand if they're angry and don't feel like walking around congratulating the other team, i certainly wouldn't discourage it and fume about how there is pressure on them to shake hands with the other guy.

2/11/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
The Who are an iconic band that appeals to a much broader audience then Jay-Z.  If you dont know who The Who are I suggest you turn on the radio and listen to something pre 1998.  The Who defined a young generation with there music.  The Who are one of the greatest bands of all time.  I didn't hear any boos at the Super Bowl.  Did you?  You get bands like U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty not only because of Janet Jackson but for years the bowls largest audience shut the half time show off because it wasnt appealing to them.  As for Peyton Manning and Lebron James two of the biggest stars in their respective sports.  Shame on them for being selfish.  They are role models.  The two of them acted like babies.  The reason people get on them about it is because from day 1 you are always taught to show good sportsmanship when you are in pop warner or little league or childs basketball or any other sport.  At the end of every NHL game the players meet at center ice to shake hands.  Being a good sportsman is part of being a great role model.  They are in a position where children look up to them.  If they didn't want to be role models then they should have pursued other careers that aren't in the limelight. 

They do not appeal to a broader audience. they appeal to a very specific audience as does Jay-z. No one is saying he should've been the halftime act either. hell i would have rather watched Sade, Aerosmith, hell was bon-jovi not available? I'm all about some carrie underwood, or daughtry, maybe even big ass Aretha franklin, stevie Wonder, I would have been glued to the set if it was Patti Labelle. I'm just saying almost anybody but the who?  and you didnt hear the boos because everyone knew in advance who was performing so everybody had already planned what they were going to do during the half time show and it probably didnt include actually watching it.

2/11/10   |   Beaze   |   271 respect

nortonsfury wrote:
The Who are an iconic band that appeals to a much broader audience then Jay-Z.  If you dont know who The Who are I suggest you turn on the radio and listen to something pre 1998.  The Who defined a young generation with there music.  The Who are one of the greatest bands of all time.  I didn't hear any boos at the Super Bowl.  Did you?  You get bands like U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty not only because of Janet Jackson but for years the bowls largest audience shut the half time show off because it wasnt appealing to them.  As for Peyton Manning and Lebron James two of the biggest stars in their respective sports.  Shame on them for being selfish.  They are role models.  The two of them acted like babies.  The reason people get on them about it is because from day 1 you are always taught to show good sportsmanship when you are in pop warner or little league or childs basketball or any other sport.  At the end of every NHL game the players meet at center ice to shake hands.  Being a good sportsman is part of being a great role model.  They are in a position where children look up to them.  If they didn't want to be role models then they should have pursued other careers that aren't in the limelight. 

I would actually like to see nielsen put out some number for halftime viewership.  I wouldn't be surprised if their was a serious dip since Janet Jackson (in terms of the percentage of people watching the super bowl who stick around to watch the halftime show).

2/11/10   |   nortonsfury   |   130 respect

(Edited by nortonsfury)

The Who are an iconic band that appeals to a much broader audience then Jay-Z.  If you dont know who The Who are I suggest you turn on the radio and listen to something pre 1998.  The Who defined a young generation with there music.  The Who are one of the greatest bands of all time.  I didn't hear any boos at the Super Bowl.  Did you?  You get bands like U2, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty not only because of Janet Jackson but for years the bowls largest audience shut the half time show off because it wasnt appealing to them.  As for Peyton Manning and Lebron James two of the biggest stars in their respective sports.  Shame on them for being selfish.  They are role models.  The two of them acted like babies.  The reason people get on them about it is because from day 1 you are always taught to show good sportsmanship when you are in pop warner or little league or childs basketball or any other sport.  At the end of every NHL game the players meet at center ice to shake hands.  Being a good sportsman is part of being a great role model.  They are in a position where children look up to them.  If they didn't want to be role models then they should have pursued other careers that aren't in the limelight. 

2/11/10   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
willie!!!

You might be right... some kind of country artist medley might be in order since there isn't one country star that is big enough to do the whole halftime show by themselves....

2/11/10   |   ms_hippie_queen   |   30514 respect

BluDevil wrote:
I'd love to see the Chili Peppers rock half time the next time the SB is in Cali... since the game is in TX next year I bet we get some country act... George Strait?

willie!!!

2/11/10   |   BluDevil   |   618 respect

I'd love to see the Chili Peppers rock half time the next time the SB is in Cali... since the game is in TX next year I bet we get some country act... George Strait?

2/11/10   |   gobigblue1960   |   4805 respect

There is this thing called "sportsmanship", and it is seriously lacking in today's sports, and Peyton Manning should have done anything but walk off the field.

2/11/10   |   namvet6963113   |   21 respect

I'm 59 and I saw  The WHO before i was sent to Vietnam,and it was a live concert. It brought back some good and some bad memories. I think the show was cool for football. Oh I'm also African American.... Manning still sucks... That has been football since it started not to be use with everyday BS,cause it FOOTBALL  youngman........Shake hands after the game teach young people sportmanship....... New World thinking says be mad and act like an ass...... Grow up and have some sense.

2/11/10   |   dwyermaker   |   39 respect

(Edited by dwyermaker)

To be honest, I thought Pete Townsend's shirt riding up during his patented windmill strumming exposing his 70 year old belly at the end of the set was a far more disturbing wardrobe malfunction than Janet Jackson's a few years back...

2/11/10   |   ms_hippie_queen   |   30514 respect

jtrain11 wrote:
I'm 33 and agree that the halftime show needs to get younger but I recall a "wardrobe malfunction" from the Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson performance.  That being said, Maybe the network is thinking these old heads wouldn't dare getting naked on stage and embarrass themselves.  So it's a safe "pick" which generally, isn't the most popular.   

this feels like an AA meeting.

hi, i'm 26 and i love the older artists. i'm pretty confident in saying that the prince show a few years back was my favorite all time. yeah they may not be appealing visually and the vocals may sound like they've been singing that song for the past 40 years, but christ if i want to see shania twain in a diamond bra singing "man...i feel like a woman" at the superbowl...or listen to bono's speeches...or see janet jackson's nipple shield...or hear justin timberlake hit notes that sounds remarkably like someone is crushing his testicles.

2/11/10   |   jtrain11   |   188 respect

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
" How many people under the age of 30 thought that the halftime show was just a bunch of grandpa's on stage performing cover's of CSI theme songs?"

I'm 33 and agree that the halftime show needs to get younger but I recall a "wardrobe malfunction" from the Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson performance.  That being said, Maybe the network is thinking these old heads wouldn't dare getting naked on stage and embarrass themselves.  So it's a safe "pick" which generally, isn't the most popular.   

2/11/10   |   ms_hippie_queen   |   30514 respect

" How many people under the age of 30 thought that the halftime show was just a bunch of grandpa's on stage performing cover's of CSI theme songs?"

2/11/10   |   kobe_lova   |   62392 respect

It's Thursday!

"Sorry Jay, I'mma let you finish, but Janet Jackson had one of the greatest Super Bowl performances of all times!" 
...funniest line this month!  this is an ongoing joke now, that can be used in so many situations, but this was the best one thus far!

and i agree on the first 2.
 
#3...we live in GA, why the f*ck are you people freaking out because we "might" get an inch of snow tomorrow. Really? Really? Have you seen what the f*ck is happening north of us! .
...it's great that you didn't have a #3 today but i have no problem taking up the slack.