The Last Ride
a A mad rush at the end of the week helped to salvage things a bit for me. I know it was only a 9-10 week (7-7 with baseball, 0-1 in the NFL, 0-1 in the CFL and 2-1 with college football), but considering the fact that I cashed on 4 of my last 5 plays to close out the month, it's not bad. That little flourish left me in not as good a shape as I was at the end of last week, but it was still a very good September with a final mark of 30-21 (22-15 with baseball, 6-2 with college football, 2-3 in the NFL and 0-1 in the CFL). A decnt expansion of The Empire.
So here we go into October. Things will slow down a tad this month. As you know, or if you're new here, you should know that once the regular season is over in baseball, I'm pretty much done with it. I do reserve the right, however, to change that up a little bit depending on what happens today in the American League. And with that, let's get to work.
THE SHOW (0-2 yesterday, 18-12 for the week and 71-42 for the month)
BUTTA (0-1 yesterday, 7-7 for the week and 22-15 for the month)
Rays (Moore -190) over BLUE JAYS - The Rays can't possibly have their season swept away from them by being swept in this series, could they? Anything's possible in this great game, but the chances are greatly reduced with Moore on the bump.
ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
1. Indians (Jimenez -240) over TWINS (DIAMOND) - As unlikely as it may be, the Tribe is the only team that's not going to have their whole season ruined with a loss today.
2. RANGERS (DARVISH -230) over Angels (Vargas) - Darvish is 6-1 lifetime against the Halos, but he has been, at best, very ordinary and hittable this September.
BROOMOLOGY (6-7 ATS & 5-8 SU for the week and 38-23 & 35-28 for the month)
Road Dogs (20-8 & 15-13 for the month)
Cubs (+1 1/2) at CARDINALS
Angels (+1 1/2) at RANGERS
Road Favorites (5-2 ATS & SU for the month)
Tigers (-1 1/2) over MARLINS
Rays (-1 1/2) over BLUE JAYS
Home Dogs (8-2 & 6-4 for the month)
METS (+1 1/2) vs. Brewers
D-BACKS (+1 1/2) vs. Nationals
TWINS (+1 1/2) vs. Indians
ASTROS (+1 1/2) vs. Yankees
Home Favorite (5-11 & 9-7 for the month)
REDS (-1 1/2) over Pirates
RUN-(NING) LINES (9-6 ATS/7-7 SU/5-10 TOTALS yesterday, 48-49 ATS/48-43 SU/54-43 TOTALS for the week and 190-200/191-184/206-184 for the month)
1. Red Sox (+1 1/2, O8 1/2) over ORIOLES
2. BLUE JAYS (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) vs. Rays
3. RANGERS (-1 1/2 O7 1/2) over Angels
4. Indians (-1 1/2, O8) over TWINS
5. WHITE SOX (+1/2, U7 1/2) vs. Royals
6. Yankees (-1 1/2, U8 1/2) over ASTROS
7. MARINERS (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) vs. Athletics
8. Pirates (-1 1/2, U8) over REDS
9. Brewers (-1 1/2, U6 1/4, over METS
10. Phillies (+1 1/2, U8 1/2) at BRAVES
11. CARDINALS (-1 1/2, U7 1/2) over Cubs
12. Nationals (-1 1/2, U8) over D-BACKS
13. DODGERS (-1 1/2, U7 1/2) over Rockies
14. Padres (+1 1/2, U7) vs. GIANTS *
15. MARLINS (+1 1/2, u7) vs. Tigers
THE NFL (7-9 last week and 22-27 for the month)
BUTTA (0-1 last week and 2-3 for the month)
CHIEFS (-210) over Giants - If someone put a gun to my head, I'd lay the (-4) on the Chiefs---that's down from a high earlier of (-4 1/2)---but that's a key number, and the Giants are a desperate team. They will be without 2 starting O-Lineman today, and that includes their center. You should know by now that a team without it's starting snapper is as good as dead in the water because I've told you time and time again with plenty of proof to back it up, but there's just something about the way this game sets up that has me off the number and only wanting to pick the winner.
ALL THE REST
1. Ravens (-3) over BILLS - The Ravens were very impressive last week against a much more powerful offense than they'll be seeing today.
2. Bengals (-4) over BROWNS - The Browns got away with a game last week that no one thought they could win. You know the drill in the NFL by now: A blind squirrel is going to get a nut every once in awhile, and a bad NFL team will return to form.
3. Bears (+3) at LIONS - The Bears look like they're a little suspect in the secondary. That might not be a good thing against Megatron, and this is Chicago's 2nd straight road game. The Lions haven't proven anything in the season's first 3 weeks though.
4. Steelers (-3) over Vikings - I said that last week was probably the last time I leaned toward the Steelers for the rest of the season. I was wrong.
5. Bucs (-2 1/2) over CARDINALS - The Bucs are in turmoil with Freeman getting benched and opting for a rook at QB instead, but Carson Palmer started to show signs that he was reverting back to being a turnover machine last week. With Revis controlling half of the field, that will leave the rest of the Bucs D to turn Palmer over multiple times today.
6. Colts (-9) over JAGUARS - I don't think we're going to learn anything more about the Colts today than what we already know about them The fear with laying this many points with them, though, is in 2 parts: First, it is a lot of points. The other is that maybe off such an impressive road performance against a quality team last week, they might take this clearly inferior team lightly.
7. Seahawks (-2 1/2) over TEXANS - Many projected the Texans as a Super Bowl team this season. They've looked far from that in the first 3 games. The Seahawks, on the other hand, look like the real deal.
8. TITANS (-3 1/2) over Jets - I'm not real sure what to make of the Titans 2-1 start to the season, but if I had to, I'd lean toward them here because they are at home, and because it's the Jets.
9. BRONCOS (-10 1/2) over Eagles - The Eagles have a ton of work to do yet. The Broncos are a finished product that we pretty much know what to expect from them.
10. CHARGERS (+2) vs. Cowboys - We should all be wise to the Cowboys by now. A very impressive performance the week prior, usually insures that they'll fall flat in the current week. I don't like the Bolts D much though, and they don't run the ball too well either. If I did anything with this game, it would probably be with the OVER (47).
11. RAIDERS (+3 1/2) vs. Redskins - I can't for the life of me figure out why the Raiders are catching points at home against a winless team. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the status of Terrelle Pryor, but the latest injury report has him upgraded to "probable".
12. Patriots (+2 1/2) at FALCONS - The Falcons are a squad that, in the early going, looks a lot liike the Texans over in the AFC. There's a ton of talent there, but some of the mojo they've had over the last couple of seasons seems to be missing.
TOTALS (0-4 last week and 9-8 for the month)
Overs - Ravems/BILLS (44), Bears/LIONS (48) and Steelers/Vikings (42)
Unders - Bengals/BROWNS (43), Colts/JAGUARS (43) and Jets/TITANS (40)
And on the seventh day, he rested. Yeah, right! Have a grand and glorious Sunday, everyone. I'll see you tomorrow.