The New York Rangers Blew A 4-0 Lead, Lost 5-4 To The Capitals. Changes Are Needed.
NHL

Time To Bring Sean Avery Back To New York

12/24/08 in NHL   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect


The New York Rangers blowing of a 4-0 lead has opened my eyes to their true colors. Something needs to be done. Now.


Wade Redden and Dmitri Kalinin---gone. I don't care how you do it, get rid of these two traffic cones. I still can't figure out whether Kalinin, at a team-low minus 16 rating, is lazy or just fat, and Redden seems like he spends all game thinking about what kind of haircut he's going to get with his $38.5M next.

Perry Pearn---the power play coach gone. 27th in the league in power-play conversion rate, PLUS leading the league in short-handed goals against with 10, with the talent that we have, is entirely unacceptable. This trend has been constant during his tenure here, as the Rangers powerplay has always underachieved. Or at least demote him to "coach who answers every question starting with the word 'well,'"

Sean Avery needs to come back to New York. Hate me for even bringing that up, but this team could really use him. This game is a perfect example-you know he would have done something to turn back the momentum to the Rangers side after the Caps scored their second goal. Plus he does have some offensive skills that can be used on the second line.

Paul Mara needs to be re-signed. I don't care if it's during the off-season or Jan. 1st. But this team needs him.


So here's how they should do it:

Trade Redden and Nigel Dawes for Avery and a defenseman from Dallas. I know Dallas said they didn't want a "top" defenseman to replace Zubov, but if it means getting rid of Avery and his $3.75M cap hit, they might consider it. Dawes gives them extra incentive as they get a young player with potential, and we get a d-man replacement in return. This trade makes sense for both teams, although Glen Sather, the Rangers GM, may be reluctant to do it, as his ego may prevent it; making this trade will be like admitting that he made a mistake not re-signing Avery and signing Redden instead.

Kill Perry. I don't care how you do it. Put Mike Pelino- the penalty killing coach (1st in the league) as PP coach. He already does a good job with the PK, and ANYONE can do a better job than Perry.

Throw Kalinin in a trash can. Call up Correy Potter from Hartford.

Replace Dawes' spot with Avery to make a line of Sean Avery-Chris Drury-Ryan Callahan

This should leave enough cap room to re-sign Mara for more than the $1.9M that he is currently getting after he asks for more, which he will deserve. It also opens up cap room for our other signings next offseason (Dubinsky, Callahan, Zherdev, Betts, Orr)
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

12/27/08   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

nyrangers wrote:
I thought that a post-lockout rule was that teams could not pay a part of a player's contract as part of the deal in a trade?

Either way, I'm sure there is a team that would want Redden on their team, but with his grossly overpriced contract, the team that trades for him will probably wish to dump as much salary as the Rangers are which would involve an equally bad contract----hence, I brought up Avery because I can't think of any other team that has a terrible contract right now (as well as making sense for both teams)

I thought that a post-lockout rule was that teams could not pay a part of a player's contract as part of the deal in a trade?

That I do not know.

12/27/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

ML31 wrote:
Do you think there is a team out there willing to take on Redden's salary and apathetic play?  IF they unload him they may have to eat a lot of his pay.  Which will still work against their own cap.

I thought that a post-lockout rule was that teams could not pay a part of a player's contract as part of the deal in a trade?

Either way, I'm sure there is a team that would want Redden on their team, but with his grossly overpriced contract, the team that trades for him will probably wish to dump as much salary as the Rangers are which would involve an equally bad contract----hence, I brought up Avery because I can't think of any other team that has a terrible contract right now (as well as making sense for both teams)

12/26/08   |   BestofChicago   |   51 respect

nyrangers wrote:
Right, but the point is, when playoff time comes around, they will be a team that looks better than they really are because they have an inflated record, and will get bounced because there are no shootouts in playoffs.
(Edited by BestofChicago)

 Oh well now I get it. Too bad you took an article and 5 comments to make your point.

12/26/08   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

nyrangers wrote:
Quiet is an understatement. He has done nothing. We have a $6.5 million dollar traffic cone on our team. He has contributed zero offensively and nothing on the power play, which he was primarily brought here to fix (lacking a PP QB). He has had defensive gaffes and looks very slow, and disinterested.

Also, I realize that may blog may not make much sense to non-ranger fans because I just copied and pasted my post off the Ranger bulletin board.

Do you think there is a team out there willing to take on Redden's salary and apathetic play?  IF they unload him they may have to eat a lot of his pay.  Which will still work against their own cap.

12/26/08   |   ML31   |   3671 respect

BestofChicago wrote:
 I just go by facts bro.

"The Rangers are 22-12-3 and leading the Atlantic division."

Fact.

Fact...  But terribly deceptive.

12/25/08   |   Joanna124

I agree the Rangers need Sean Avery back!!!  He will add the spunk they need to wake up and play some real hockey...Lately they play like they are dead!!!!  You cant be up 4-0 and lose 5-4 to  the Caps.  Where is the hitting this is hockey,  wake up and play the game!!!

12/24/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

BestofChicago wrote:
 but you cant take away their shootout record - FACT.

Right, but the point is, when playoff time comes around, they will be a team that looks better than they really are because they have an inflated record, and will get bounced because there are no shootouts in playoffs.

12/24/08   |   BestofChicago   |   51 respect

nyrangers wrote:
Yup. Doesn't mean that there's nothinig to complain/worry about. This team does not look good and is a .500 team if you take away their shootout record ---> fact.

 but you cant take away their shootout record - FACT.

12/24/08   |   ardeladimwit

love avery-- you guys aren't the same without him--no guts, no fire,  no interesting plays, no player-specific rules, no piss-off contests with brodeur-- no fun. boring as heck. keep dawes.  he did good last year, but toss somebody else overboard and bring back the pest. dawes will pick up after that.  it keep sidney happy over there in pittsburgh too... keep the whole east happy for that matter. they all miss sean.

12/24/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

BestofChicago wrote:
 I just go by facts bro.

"The Rangers are 22-12-3 and leading the Atlantic division."

Fact.

Yup. Doesn't mean that there's nothinig to complain/worry about. This team does not look good and is a .500 team if you take away their shootout record ---> fact.

12/24/08   |   BestofChicago   |   51 respect

nyrangers wrote:
They have gained 9 wins from the shootout (picking up 1 loss), inflating their record. They have played more games than any team in the Atlantic by at least three games, and more games than any team in LEAGE for that matter by at least two games. They have one of the worst offenses and power plays, both conversion-wise and the amount of SH goals they have allowed, in the league.

They just blew a 4-0 lead and have been blown out in some games. This is currently a team that when all is said and done, will be a low seed in the playoffs and MAYBE get past the first round.

This should not be happening with the talent that we have, especially one of the best goalies in the league who quite frankly is the only reason our record is anywhere above .500

 I just go by facts bro.

"The Rangers are 22-12-3 and leading the Atlantic division."

Fact.

12/24/08   |   kteacher   |   34311 respect

nyrangers wrote:
Historically, it has been the Rangers who have unloaded their young players for aging vets to ALL teams and adding them to players aquired through free agency. Since the lockout, we haven't dumped our young talent yet (knock on wood), but still make big splashes in the free agent market. which is an improvment

Just basing my comment on their history with the Kings.

I would look out for the Kings. They are sitting pretty on a lot of money, and should a team not be able to pay one of their young players their fair amount because of inflated contracts, the Kings will be sniffing around.

12/24/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

kteacher wrote:
Historically, it has been the Kings who have unloaded their high priced players for the Rangers young ones. (Example-------Matias Norstrom and Ian Laparrierre came to the Kings for Shane Churla, and some other vets.)

Historically, it has been the Rangers who have unloaded their young players for aging vets to ALL teams and adding them to players aquired through free agency. Since the lockout, we haven't dumped our young talent yet (knock on wood), but still make big splashes in the free agent market. which is an improvment

12/24/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

BestofChicago wrote:
 Woah you are sounding like Lions fans. "Something needs to be done. Now"

The Rangers are 22-12-3 and leading the Atlantic division. Relax.

They have gained 9 wins from the shootout (picking up 1 loss), inflating their record. They have played more games than any team in the Atlantic by at least three games, and more games than any team in LEAGE for that matter by at least two games. They have one of the worst offenses and power plays, both conversion-wise and the amount of SH goals they have allowed, in the league.

They just blew a 4-0 lead and have been blown out in some games. This is currently a team that when all is said and done, will be a low seed in the playoffs and MAYBE get past the first round.

This should not be happening with the talent that we have, especially one of the best goalies in the league who quite frankly is the only reason our record is anywhere above .500

12/24/08   |   BestofChicago   |   51 respect

 Woah you are sounding like Lions fans. "Something needs to be done. Now"

The Rangers are 22-12-3 and leading the Atlantic division. Relax.

12/24/08   |   kteacher   |   34311 respect

Historically, it has been the Kings who have unloaded their high priced players for the Rangers young ones. (Example-------Matias Norstrom and Ian Laparrierre came to the Kings for Shane Churla, and some other vets.)

12/24/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

kteacher wrote:
I feel your pain. Nothing worse than being a fan of a team that spends like crazy, but not on the right players. Wow! 6.5 for Redden. Just think, the Kings have Kyle Quincey for 500,000 this year and next and he has twice as many (maybe even three times as many) points. (had to rub it in a little )

I'm just glad none of your scenarios had anything involving the Kings (since they are a team with LOTS of cap space). Seems to me that any time a team needs to unload some extra weight the Kings name is in the mix.

Hey I wouldn't mind unloading Redden or other high salaries for Doughty, Frolov, Kopitar or any of your other younguns. Now that you mention it, let's make it happen!

12/23/08   |   kteacher   |   34311 respect

(Edited by kteacher)

I feel your pain. Nothing worse than being a fan of a team that spends like crazy, but not on the right players. Wow! 6.5 for Redden. Just think, the Kings have Kyle Quincey for 500,000 this year and next and he has twice as many (maybe even three times as many) points. (had to rub it in a little )

I'm just glad none of your scenarios had anything involving the Kings (since they are a team with LOTS of cap space). Seems to me that any time a team needs to unload some extra weight the Kings name is in the mix.

12/23/08   |   nyrangers   |   192 respect

wrote:
Redden seems like he has done all of nothing this year, he's been very quite and I had to kick him off my fantasy team because of it!

Quiet is an understatement. He has done nothing. We have a $6.5 million dollar traffic cone on our team. He has contributed zero offensively and nothing on the power play, which he was primarily brought here to fix (lacking a PP QB). He has had defensive gaffes and looks very slow, and disinterested.

Also, I realize that may blog may not make much sense to non-ranger fans because I just copied and pasted my post off the Ranger bulletin board.