It took a while for the Giants to get hold of the game yesterday, but from almost the very first pitch, there really was never any question how the game would turn out. Yes, the numbers were all with us in our play on the G-Men, but it was the situation that eventually did the Nats in. It's very hard for any team to sweep a 4-game series. I don't care how much of a talent and/or chemistry difference there is between the teams. It just doesn't happen a lot. And the percentage of success for a team going for such a sweep goes way down when they're on the road. So, when you also factor in that the Gigantes are an aspiring championship team, just like the Nats, you can understand why this was such an easy play to make and a sweet one to get.
We fly into the weekend with a full slate of games in The Show, and a lot of interesting matchups. Let's get to work.
THE SHOW (3-2 yesterday and 14-9 so far for the week)
BUTTA (1-0 yesterday and 5-1 so far for the week)
ATHLETICS (GRAY -190) over Yankees (Phelps) - The Yanks had a fun time in Seattle over the last 3 days, but we're seeing, with the emergence and success of Whitley, that Phelps looks like the weak link in the new look Yankee rotation. Sonny Gray has a lot of talent in his right arm, but he can be erratic occasionally. That's where the risk is for this game, but the A's are beasts at home. They are the play tonight.
ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
1. Nationals (Zimmerman -110) over CARDINALS (LYNN) - Even with yesterday's loss, the Nats are still the hottest team in the game. Their pitching has been really solid, but it's their offense that has turned the tide in their favor. Washington is a patient offensive team that's not afraid to go deep in counts, and that can be bad for Lance Lynn. His command and control has been known to inexplicably dessert him at the drop of a hat. What keeps me off this game though, is the fact that Zimmerman is 0-5 lifetime against the Redbirds with a 7.59 ERA.
2. Blue Jays (Hutchison -110) over ORIOLES (JIMENEZ) - This one's easy enough to break down. I'm always looking for a reason to go against Jimenez, especially at home where the O's are 0-6 this season when he starts. The Jays are fighting it right now though, and I'm just not sure if Hutchison is a viable option to get them out of their tailspin.
3. Royals (Guthrie +115) over WHITE SOX (QUINTANA) - Both of these teams have high aspirations, but without any bias at all, I feel like the Royals have the edge for tonight's game. Even though J-Guts is only 8-7 lifetime against the Sox, since he came to the Royals, he's owned the Pale Hose. K.C. has an 8-2 record when Guthrie starts against Chicago. Guthrie is also 22-11 over the last 2 seasons against division opponents. The Royals have also won 8 of the last 9 games they've played in The Windy City. Also, Quintana is 0-4 lifetime against K.C. The problem that keeps me from this game? The Royals just haven't given Guthrie any run support so far this season.
4. ASTROS (McHUGH +105) over Rays (Cobb) - It's all about the Rays and their lack of offensive punch. McHugh has been very stingy since joining the 'Stros rotation, and that's good enough to give Houston the edge in the 1st game of this series.
5. MARINERS (HERNANDEZ -210) over Rangers (Tepesch) - It's looking like another Cy Young run for Felix so far this season, and he's 30-13 lifetime when he starts in June. Nick Tepesch doesn't look like much for the Rangers, but the fact that The King is only 12-20 lifetime against Texas is troubling.
RUN LINES (5-6 ATS/4-6 SU/6-5 TOTALS yesterday and 39-27/34-28/37-29 so far for the week)
|AMERICAN LEAGUE||NATIONAL LEAGUE|
|Jays (+1 1/2, U9)||Cubs|
|ORIOLES||PHILLIES (-1 1/2, U8 1/2)|
|Twins (+1 1/2, O9)||Pirates (+1 1/2, U7 1/2)|
|RED SOX (-1 1/2, U8 1/2)||METS (+1 1/2, U6 1/2)|
|Royals (+1 1/2, U8)||Reds|
|WHITE SOX||BREWERS (-1 1/2, O7 1/2)|
|Rays||Nationals (+1 1/2, O7)|
|ASTROS (+1 1/2, U7 1/2)||CARDINALS|
|Yankees (+1 1/2, U7 1/2)||D-Backs (+1 1/2, O6 1/2)|
|Rangers (+1 1/2, U6 1/2)||Rockies|
|MARINERS||GIANTS (-1 1/2, O7 1/2)|
|BRAVES (+1 1/2, O7 1/2)|
---With the signing of Kendrys Morales, the Twinks are suddenly a player in the AL Central if, and it's a huge if, they can shore up their pitching.
---Is it possible the Phils can win a 4th game in a row tonight? I think that would be one of the signs of The Apocalypse, but the Cubs really struggle offensively on the road.
---The Snakes haven't lost any of Chase Anderson's starts since he was called up and placed in the rotation. With the way the Dodgers play at home, one has to wonder if Kershaw is the one that will have his hands full tonight.
Beautiful day here in God's Country today, and it really is a jungle out there on the grounds of The Estate. I've whacked and hacked my way through it. Now, maybe there's time for a little rest prior to the start of tonight's games. Have a great night. Please be careful out there, and I'll see you tomorrow.