Tim Tebow could be traded to the Patriots if Peyton Manning signs with the Broncos

If Peyton ends up in Denver, Tebow's destination might surprise you

3/18/12 in NFL   |   Pat   |   5234 respect

The Broncos are one of the three teams on Peyton Manning's short list, and it's coming down to the wire. The 49ers and Titans are the other options, but the Broncos angle is quite interesting.

If Manning is signed, it instantly provides John Elway with a viable excuse to get rid of Tim Tebow, whom he clearly doesn't trust to be the QB of the future. Tebow's a fan favorite, but Manning should be able to quell any discontent relatively quickly.

If Manning ends up in Denver, Tebow will likely be traded almost immediately. Elway has no desire to keep him around, and the presence of Manning would make Tebow irrelevant.

The ideal team for Tebow seems to be the Jaguars. Blaine Gabbert, their current QB, is terrible. He's one of the few QBs in the league with whom Tebow could legitimately compete. Also, they're close to the University of Florida, where Tebow is a living legend.

Whether or not he improved the team, Tebow would definitely put a lot of fans in the stands in Jacksonville.

However, according to John Clayton, the rumor is that the Broncos would trade Tebow to the Patriots.

This actually makes a ton of sense, on a few different levels. Tebow fans probably wouldn't like the idea, since it would certainly end the idea of him being a starting QB. When the other options are guys like Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn, Tebow has a chance to play QB. But when Tom Brady is tossing the ball around with machine-like efficiency, there is no chance of a QB controversy.

Tebow would likely have to switch positions if he were to end up in New England, which might actually be the best thing for him as an NFL player.

There's no denying that he's an incredibly talented athlete. Tebow has size, speed, and is one of the hardest workers in the game. Patriots coach Bill Belichick is one of the most creative coaches in the NFL, and there's no doubt that he would find a way to make Tebow an integral part of the team.

Whether it's on offense, defense or special teams, Tebow would be a contributor in Belichick's system... and almost definitely not as a QB.

A few options:

TE: The Patriots are looking for a 3rd tight end right now anyway, and need someone to give Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez a rest from time to time. Tebow has the speed and strength to pull it off, and with the amount of multiple tight end sets that the Patriots use, he could definitely be a factor.

FB/RB/H-back: The Patriots have a few running backs in their stable right now, but no one really stands out as the clear favorite. Tebow could compete in their backfield, and could also give them an element of the Wildcat offense if they chose to go that route.

Safety: The Patriots' secondary is one of their biggest weaknesses. They've converted several offensive players already, and Tebow could be another. As I've said quite a few times... he has the athletic ability. He could be solid in coverage, and is big enough to lay a hit now and then.

Linebacker: This might be a stretch, and would require a complete change in mentality for Tebow, and I'm not sure if he's capable of flying around the field and hitting people for a living. I'm not sure if he has the killer mentality of a Ray Lewis, but it's a possibility.

Special teams guru: Tebow could definitely be used in kick coverage, or even in the return game. He doesn't have the elite speed that you'd want as a returner, but he could lay a few blocks and get out in front of the returner. He definitely seems like the kind of player who could make a difference here.


Regardless, there's a ton of possibilities for Tebow, and they would exist even if he were to go somewhere other than New England. The biggest difference is that if he went to the Patriots, there would be no doubt about it... he has zero chance of being the starting QB.

What do you think of the idea of Tebow to the Patriots?
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

3/19/12   |   beerstudk   |   1538 respect

Bradhicks wrote:
Hmm. Tebow crappy? He has 16 games under his belt as a starting pro QB, a 9-7 record, an off-the-charts TD to INT ratio, and his teammates everywhere he goes claim they'd take on a speeding locomotive for him because they know some how, some way, he'll win. Pat, I want a guy like that playing QB for my football team, and I'll take a few wobbly duck passes and even a few losses to have a guy like that take me to the playoffs. Those intangibles come along in a QB once a generation. I love Tebow and I hate to see him leave Denver. I believe he'll develop into a good, mechanically-sound QB, probably in Jacksonville. But, whoa!, are you kidding me!! We just got Peyton Manning!!! Even the most irrational Tebowmaniacs, if they're true Broncos fans, have to love this!!!!

Look at the teams he beat, not one of them had a record above .500.

3/19/12   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Bradhicks wrote:
Hmm. Tebow crappy? He has 16 games under his belt as a starting pro QB, a 9-7 record, an off-the-charts TD to INT ratio, and his teammates everywhere he goes claim they'd take on a speeding locomotive for him because they know some how, some way, he'll win. Pat, I want a guy like that playing QB for my football team, and I'll take a few wobbly duck passes and even a few losses to have a guy like that take me to the playoffs. Those intangibles come along in a QB once a generation. I love Tebow and I hate to see him leave Denver. I believe he'll develop into a good, mechanically-sound QB, probably in Jacksonville. But, whoa!, are you kidding me!! We just got Peyton Manning!!! Even the most irrational Tebowmaniacs, if they're true Broncos fans, have to love this!!!!

I'm going to poke some holes in your argument about Tebow being such a great QB.

-17 career TDs and 9 INTs in 2 seasons in Denver.  He's thrown more than half as many picks as he has touchdowns.  That's not good at all.
-His completion percentage is 46.5...under 50% is a disgrace for an NFL QB.
-He averaged 123.5 YPG passing in 2011.
-The kicker won the game in SD.
-Marion Barber LOST the game for the Bears by stepping out of bounds and stopping the clock in regulation.
-He threw 3 INTs and fumbled twice against BUFFALO who had lost 7 straight going into that game!
-He had 6 rushing TDs and ran for over 5 YPC during the season, rushing for 47.1 YPG.

He's a better running back than a quarterback.

3/19/12   |   Nate   |   128 respect

I have heard quite a few people say he should change positions and he certainly wouldn't be the first, a la Patrick Crayton and a few others, and I don't disagree that Tebow should probably be considered a candidate for that, but I doubt he would consider it. 

Tim Tebow has to be convinced that he has failed as a quarterback and frankly he's going to need a few more games before he and his tebowmania fans are convinced of that, by that time it might be a little too late.  Plus Tebow is being paid like  a first round pick quarterback, any team that trades him might be able to convince him to rework his contract a little bit, but if he doesn't agree to it, they are obligated to continue paying him like a first round draft pick QB and not a developmental maybe third string Wide Receiver or Tight End.  Just saying.

3/19/12   |   Bradhicks

Pat wrote:
But if he's a crappy QB (which he is), then I'd rather have a QB who might not be the epic leader that people claim Tebow is, but can actually play the position.

Leadership is nice, but you only notice it when it's incredibly good or incredibly bad. In the end, I'd rather have guys who are better at their position, and a better fit in my team's offensive system.

Good luck to your Broncos, though. Assuming Manning is even close to healthy, they just improved a lot.

Hmm. Tebow crappy? He has 16 games under his belt as a starting pro QB, a 9-7 record, an off-the-charts TD to INT ratio, and his teammates everywhere he goes claim they'd take on a speeding locomotive for him because they know some how, some way, he'll win. Pat, I want a guy like that playing QB for my football team, and I'll take a few wobbly duck passes and even a few losses to have a guy like that take me to the playoffs. Those intangibles come along in a QB once a generation. I love Tebow and I hate to see him leave Denver. I believe he'll develop into a good, mechanically-sound QB, probably in Jacksonville. But, whoa!, are you kidding me!! We just got Peyton Manning!!! Even the most irrational Tebowmaniacs, if they're true Broncos fans, have to love this!!!!

3/19/12   |   Pat   |   5234 respect

Bradhicks wrote:
Pat, you're right, we've only seen Tebow at the QB position. But the most influential position on the field is QB, the position at which, if you have a great leader who knows how to win, he will affect your entire team more than any player at any other position. You have to take into consideration Tebow, the individual, his special talents, his (proverbial) intangibles. He is your QB, Mr. Pat, not your backup TE or safety. He leads at QB -- and this is strictly my opinion based on how I see Tebow as an individual personality -- you want him on your team as the most visible, influential player on the field, your QB, he is that effective as a leader. Arguable? Of course. You'll see, when Jacksonville gives him that unbridled chance next season. (Like my pic of Manning in a Broncos uni? 

But if he's a crappy QB (which he is), then I'd rather have a QB who might not be the epic leader that people claim Tebow is, but can actually play the position.

Leadership is nice, but you only notice it when it's incredibly good or incredibly bad. In the end, I'd rather have guys who are better at their position, and a better fit in my team's offensive system.

Good luck to your Broncos, though. Assuming Manning is even close to healthy, they just improved a lot.

3/19/12   |   Bradhicks

Pat wrote:
Good sir, a few things:

1) Belichick has a history of unorthodox position moves. He has been more successful than most coaches in this aspect. Coughlin, McCarthy, etc... not so much.

2) Leadership is not contingent on position. There are great leaders at many different positions. QB is just the glamour position. Go ahead and tell me that Bryan Dawkins, Ray Lewis and Jerome Bettis aren't/weren't great leaders.

3) The reason I focused on the Patriots was because that is the team that was mentioned by John Clayton, who has one or two sources close to every NFL situation.

4) How do you know that he leads best at the QB position? Have you seen him play any other position? Fact is, he's a pretty terrible QB. So his leadership might be better served elsewhere, at a position he might actually be good at, while he's being a leader.

Pat, you're right, we've only seen Tebow at the QB position. But the most influential position on the field is QB, the position at which, if you have a great leader who knows how to win, he will affect your entire team more than any player at any other position. You have to take into consideration Tebow, the individual, his special talents, his (proverbial) intangibles. He is your QB, Mr. Pat, not your backup TE or safety. He leads at QB -- and this is strictly my opinion based on how I see Tebow as an individual personality -- you want him on your team as the most visible, influential player on the field, your QB, he is that effective as a leader. Arguable? Of course. You'll see, when Jacksonville gives him that unbridled chance next season. (Like my pic of Manning in a Broncos uni? 

3/19/12   |   jjh8857   |   344 respect

Hello UFL...

3/19/12   |   jaysinw   |   5037 respect

Ok let it fly, it is said Peyton told his agent that he whats to be in Denver so they are trying to sign the paper work.

3/19/12   |   Pat   |   5234 respect

Good sir, a few things:

1) Belichick has a history of unorthodox position moves. He has been more successful than most coaches in this aspect. Coughlin, McCarthy, etc... not so much.

2) Leadership is not contingent on position. There are great leaders at many different positions. QB is just the glamour position. Go ahead and tell me that Bryan Dawkins, Ray Lewis and Jerome Bettis aren't/weren't great leaders.

3) The reason I focused on the Patriots was because that is the team that was mentioned by John Clayton, who has one or two sources close to every NFL situation.

4) How do you know that he leads best at the QB position? Have you seen him play any other position? Fact is, he's a pretty terrible QB. So his leadership might be better served elsewhere, at a position he might actually be good at, while he's being a leader.

3/19/12   |   Bradhicks

Pat, I'm sure you're a lovely writer, but this piece needs work. And yes I could do better (as could anyone with a little journalism and research accumen). That's beside the point. Let's talk about the weakness of your article. You wrote: "This actually makes a ton of sense, on a few different levels." Well, no it doesn't. Two reasons: 1. John Clayton may have informed us who the Broncos might get in return for Tebow. You didn't. This trade makes no sense at all until I know who the Broncos get for Tebow; and 2. We can "fill in the blank" and substitute any team in the NFL for what you're saying would make perfect sense for the Patriots. ANY team could utilize Tebow at another position and he would contribute nicely . . . because he is an outstanding football player. But Pat, Tebow is a QB, his finest asset is to lead an entire football team at the QB position, and a smart football team will recognize this and take the time necessary to groom him at the position. This is why this piece is not newsworthy -- if you want to eliminate Tebow as a QB and make him a safety, FB or TE, then you can substitute the Patriots in your article with the Packers, the Giants — a dozen teams who already have good QBs — and claim that it makes "a ton of sense" for Tebow to be traded to their teams. Why would the Patriots or any other team want to obtain Tebow and strip him of his best asset as a player — an off-the-charts leader who does it best at QB? 

3/18/12   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Bradhicks wrote:
What's the newsworthiness of this article again? What do the broncos get in return for tebow? doesn't matter. Tebow will remain a QB in the NFL, and he will wind up being a pretty good one . . . Wherever he plays.

"What's the newsworthiness of this article again?"

I'm assuming you think you can write better articles for the site?  Let's see...

3/18/12   |   Pat   |   5234 respect

Bradhicks wrote:
What's the newsworthiness of this article again? What do the broncos get in return for tebow? doesn't matter. Tebow will remain a QB in the NFL, and he will wind up being a pretty good one . . . Wherever he plays.

Wait...  so you're saying I don't need to clear a space on my mantle for a Pulitzer?

3/18/12   |   Bradhicks

What's the newsworthiness of this article again? What do the broncos get in return for tebow? doesn't matter. Tebow will remain a QB in the NFL, and he will wind up being a pretty good one . . . Wherever he plays.

3/18/12   |   jaysinw   |   5037 respect

Wow I wont say you are drugs but will say say like most things you are out there. Pats make perfect sense when you look at who is there. McDaniel who drafted Tebow as a QB and under McDaniel who did not change the offense for Tebow let him throw the ball. Brady is 34 so you got three maybe fours year of greatness, as long as he does not take a major hit or injury, before then. Tebow would learn and become a better QB sitting behind him, just as others have Rodgers, Young just to name a few. It makes no sense moving him to TE or HB, but does make sens to bring him over in case Brady gets hurt. So zero chance for 2 maybe 3 years after that there is a good chance of Tebow being the starter there.  Bill Belichick, is a smart guy and would know how to use Tebow, not like the fool John Fox. If the Broncos get Manning they will win because of Manning running things not Fox, without Manning, Fox will lose his job.

3/18/12   |   Yankeesgirl1327   |   1 respect

I do agree with the position change, but I think it is very unfair to Tim Tebow that he would just be traded away. Peyton has a season or two left and Tim Tebow has nothing wrong with him!! Off topic, if Peyton chooses Tennessee it is also not fair to Hasselbeck or Locker. They are fine where they are and I think that Peyton would actually be good in Jacksonville. Gabbert could sit behind him a season or two and when Manning retires, take over as starting qb. I know that most of this was off topic to Tim Tebow, and sorry about that but I felt the urge to say what was on my mind! If you dont agree with what I said, I understand because I'm a 13 year old girl, but I have thought this through over and over and I also I dont find it fair to Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett because of the fact that Tim would most likely be backup. I had never seen Hoyer play, but since Tom Brady said he wants to play into his 40s it is not fair to Hoyer, Tebow, or Mallett. Ryan will probably end up like Brady Quinn, not taking a snap for a few seasons, then get traded. Im sorry again if this was long or off topic but like I said, I needed to express my feelings! Please tell me what you think about my opinions if you like!

3/18/12   |   dferraez   |   1 respect

I agree with the first response. What is it about what Tebow has actually done in the nfl as a starting qb  that you don`t understand. Took a 1-4 non playoff team to the playoffs minus their number 1 receiver and makeshift backfields. I understand his completion percentage was lower than many, but obviously his td to interception rate was good along with other good things(such as rushing yardage ect. cet.) Since all other qb`s in the league actually were given a chance to improve and normally do, I would expect Tebow to improve. It`s not like he doesn`t have a strong work ethic. I actually agree that coach Bellichek(sp???) might have an interest in Tebow and that might be because Brady is in his late 30`s and will not play forever. Regardless, to act like Tebow hasn`t done much better than many expected is ludricrous.

3/18/12   |   Debi_L   |   11868 respect

I've made no secret of the fact that I hate the hype that surrounds Tebow.  I think him being traded to the Pats makes a lot of sense! I like the Patriots, and I agree that there is no room for him as long as Brady is in the QB position.  I can see him as a Tight End, as I think he has enough speed for that position.  He could be an asset to the Pats in that position, for sure.  

And Manning to the Broncos?  Yep, that definitely makes me happy as well.  

I'm liking the way you think, Pat.

3/18/12   |   Pat   |   5234 respect

satyenr wrote:
So Mr. Pat how long have you been on drugs. I think you need to see a Psychiatrist  PRONTO.

Exactly which portion of what I've written would cause you to make such an assumption? It actually is extremely logical and makes lots of sense, really.

3/18/12   |   satyenr

So Mr. Pat how long have you been on drugs. I think you need to see a Psychiatrist  PRONTO.