UCLA vs. Arizona match erupts into a battle, Pac-12 suspend 12 players

10/23/11 in NCAAF   |   KurtKingsley   |   1858 respect

Media reports have confirmed that the Pac-12 Conference has suspended 10 players for their involvement in the Thursday night fight. Officials announced the punishment while condemning the imprudent behavior the players showed during the first half of the UCLA-Arizona football game.

"The Conference is extremely disappointed in the actions of the student-athletes involved in this incident," Commissioner Larry Scott declared in his Friday statement. "It is unacceptable behavior and violated Conference rules, as well as NCAA fighting rules.

"I have taken these actions today because it is imperative that we hold our student-athletes and coaches to the highest standards of sportsmanship."

It was Bruins wide receiver Taylor Embree and Arizona cornerback Shaquille Richardson that initiated the fight. Game officials confirmed that they have penalized Embree and Richardson for their unsportsmanlike conduct. They have also ejected them from the contest for engaging into a fight with just 4 seconds left in the first half. The officials declared that both players will be benched for an additional game.

The UCLA defensive tackle Cassius Marsh was handed a two match ban as receivers Randall Carroll, Shaq Evans, and Ricky Marvray were banned from playing in the next game. Guard Alberto Cid will also be out of faction from the first half of the next game.

From Arizona nickleback Jourdan Grandon has received a match ban while cornerback Lyle Brown and Mark Watley will be benched for a half. The suspensions will spring into action in the next match for each school.

UCLA is scheduled to play against California on Saturday, October 29, on the other hand Arizona plays Washington on the same day. Both teams are forced to respect the announced suspensions.

The fight between UCLA and Arizona started after a streaker ran onto the field. The commotion gave chance to three players to engage into a quandary of ugly words. The argument soon turned into a quarrel after a couple shoves and in the blink of an eye players from both teams rushed onto the field for a fight.

Pushes and punches followed in a massive skirmish that was spread over 60 yards. Eventually coaches stepped in and restrained several players in order to help the officials regain control. Soon everyone withdrew to their respective sidelines.

At the end of an eventful night Arizona, who lead the match by 42-7 at halftime won it with the scoreboard showing a one sided story, 48-12.

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview