Even though I'm still under water for the week, at least now I can look up and see the surface after last night's trifecta. Yes, it was a horrifying start to the week sinking so far down that I thought I was going to get the bends. I'm still alive and kicking though. There's lots of work still to be done, but I'm definitely back on track.
No NBA playoff action tonight and a less than full schedule in The Show, but there's still plenty to talk about. Let's get cracking.
THE SHOW (3-2 last night and 5-11 so far for the week)
BUTTA (3-0 last night and 3-5 so far for the week)
1. Athletics (Colon -130) over INDIANS (KAZMIR) - The A's are facing the greatest humiliation today with the Tribe going for the 4-game sweep, and Oakland was robbed last night. The baseball gods have a way of meting out justice quickly in a case like this, but karma is not all I'm relying on here. Colon is 6-3 lifetime against his former team, and he's also 27-10 in his career when his team is coming off 3 or more consecutive losses.
2. RAYS (PRICE -160) over Blue Jays (Dickey) - This is a good spot to get right back on the Rays tonight even though some of the "peripheral" numbers on Price aren't all that encouraging. The Rays are the better team, they're at home and they need this win to salvage a split in this 4-game series. It's been a very disappointing start to the season for both of these pitchers, but Price is 12-2 lifetime against the Jays. That, plus the situation, is enough to get me on the home team.
ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR
1. Yankees (Sabathia -135) over ROCKIES (FRANCIS) - It isn't often that we're going to see a number this low on Carlton Charles, but the scary part here is that the Yanks aren't hitting right now. They've been shut out twice in the last week, including in the 1st game of this series, and that's just not what you expect from any team, regardless of their lineup, going into Coors Field. The Yanks do get to face Jeff Francis today, and that should give them an edge. The soft tossing Francis is only 2-15 in day games over the last 3 seasons, and as a team, the Rox are only 20-42 against southpaw starters in the last 2 years.
2. Royals (Guthrie -105) over ORIOLES (GARCIA) - The Royals have now suffered their first 3-game losing streak of the season, but they do have a few things going for them in this game: First, they send Guthrie out to the bump. He's been money so far this season, and the Royals have won the last 17 games that he's started. They also get to face Freddy Garcia. He was good in his 1st start of the season out in Anaheim, but let's face it, the Halos stink. There's no reason to think that Garcia can sustain that success. Finally, the Royals face the broom tonight. That doesn't ensure a win, but maybe the way to look here would be to take them on the run line at (+1 1/2). The only fly in the ointment that I can see for K.C. is the fact that Guthrie is primarily a fly ball pitcher, and we all know that Camden Yard is a band box.
3. Braves (Teheran -105) over GIANTS (VOGELSONG) - Teheran looked like the weak link in the Bravos rotation early on, but he's gotten steadily better with each start lately. That being said, the Braves aren't a team that looks like they can manufacture runs. It seems to be all about the long ball for them. If I had to go, I would be on Atlanta because Vogelsong has been less than impressive. Fortunately, I don't have to do anything with this game except watch it.
BROOMOLOGY (1-2 ATS & SU yesterday and 6-5 & 4-7 so far for the week)
Road Dog (5-0 ATS & 2-3 SU so far for the week)
Royals (+1 1/2) at ORIOLES
Road Favorites (no situations so far for the week)
Athletics (-1 1/2) over INDIANS
Angels (-1 1/2) over ASTROS
RUN-(NING) LINES (10-5 ATS/8-6 SU/9-6 TOTALS yesterday and 26-27/25-25/25-28 so far for the week)
1. INDIANS (-1 1/2, U8 1/2) over Athletics
2. RED SOX (-1 1/2, O9 1/2) over Twins
3. RAYS (-1 1/2, O7) over Blue Jays
4. Royals (+1 1/2, U8 1/2) at ORIOLES
5. Angels (-1 1/2, O9) over ASTROS
6. Pirates (+1 1/2, O7 1/2) at METS
7. Phillies (+1 1/2, U8 1/2) at D-BACKS
8. Braves (+1 1/2, O7 1/2) at GIANTS
9. ROCKIES (+1 1/2, U9 1/2) vs. Yankees
10. NATIONALS (+1 1/2, U7 1/2) vs. Tigers
That's it for another Thursday. Have a great day. Be careful out there if you're starting your weekend a little early tonight. I'll talk to you tomorrow.