Pac 10 Suspends Official For Making Bad Call Against Oregon State

Not To Be Outdone By The SEC, The Pac-10 Is Suspending One Of Their Officials For Favoring Their Top Team

10/27/09 in NCAAF   |   Pat   |   5235 respect


The Pac-10 would like everyone to know that while everyone gushes about how the SEC is the premier conference in college football, the Pac-10 is right there with them. They even have terrible officials who make bad calls in favor of the team that the conference's "powerhouse" team, in order to help them maintain their high national ranking.

As you can see in this play, USC safety Taylor Mays clearly committed a facemask on Oregon State WR James Rodgers. It was pretty much as blatant as it gets... especially considering Mays ripped Rodgers' helmet right off his head.

So the Pac-10 is taking a page out of the SEC's playbook, and suspending the official who should have made the call. Hopefully Major League Baseball is the next league to get the hint.


Pac-10 Suspends Official for Missing Obvious Facemasking Call [Fanhouse]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

10/28/09   |   sportsgnork   |   44 respect

kantwistaye wrote:
Big Ten Football - At least our officials are too incompetent to favor one team!

Correction, only when a big ten team plays Notre Dame.  Other than that, you are right.

10/28/09   |   aos035   |   68 respect

BigTone2475 wrote:
You might not be saying it but a lot of people are, and IMHO that is ridiculous.

I also think to say that they are doing it on purpose is ridiculous.

If the refs and the SEC were going to fix Games and I am not saying they are don't you think they would find a much less obvious way then to make calls that bad especially with the ramifications that can bring.

If the same calls were to made in a game between some no bodies the only people that would be upset are the fans of the losing team and definitely would not be a national headline, but because it happened to benefit a couple of high profile teams and now its a huge story and the games are fixed. It's BS.

It's not BS, its BCS!

10/27/09   |   BigTone2475   |   326 respect

Pat wrote:
I think a large part of it is just general unrest and frustration with the system.

Everyone hates the BCS, and it's a tough pill to swallow, when it seems like a team is being unfairly handed a title shot, when they wouldn't be in the running if all of the games were officiated properly.

Maybe the calls affected the outcome, maybe they didn't. But as long as there's no playoff system, and undefeated teams get shut out of the picture, things like this will continue to drive people crazy... whether it's warranted or not.
(Edited by BigTone2475)

I agree with the majority of what you are saying, but no one is being handed a title shot If UF, Bama, or LSU get there undefeated are with one loss they deserve to be there base on the criteria of the BCS weather people like it or not. I happen to be in the group of people who hate the BCS but the teams you say are being shut out are shut out do to either level of competition or the conference they play in weather people like it or not that is the system.

Weather people want to believe it are not the level of play in the SEC with the exception of half the Big 12 is far better then that of any Non-BCS conference as well as better then that of the Big 10, Pac 10, Big east and so on, and based on the current system that we are stuck with a undefeated or one loss SEC champ deserves to be in the BCS NC game period!

10/27/09   |   Pat   |   5235 respect

BigTone2475 wrote:
You might not be saying it but a lot of people are, and IMHO that is ridiculous.

I also think to say that they are doing it on purpose is ridiculous.

If the refs and the SEC were going to fix Games and I am not saying they are don't you think they would find a much less obvious way then to make calls that bad especially with the ramifications that can bring.

If the same calls were to made in a game between some no bodies the only people that would be upset are the fans of the losing team and definitely would not be a national headline, but because it happened to benefit a couple of high profile teams and now its a huge story and the games are fixed. It's BS.

I think a large part of it is just general unrest and frustration with the system.

Everyone hates the BCS, and it's a tough pill to swallow, when it seems like a team is being unfairly handed a title shot, when they wouldn't be in the running if all of the games were officiated properly.

Maybe the calls affected the outcome, maybe they didn't. But as long as there's no playoff system, and undefeated teams get shut out of the picture, things like this will continue to drive people crazy... whether it's warranted or not.

10/27/09   |   BigTone2475   |   326 respect

Pat wrote:
No one is saying that they're paid off. But I would say that they are, at the very least, cognizant of the fact that their conference will be more "successful" if the teams that are "supposed" to win are the teams that actually win. Just saying.

You might not be saying it but a lot of people are, and IMHO that is ridiculous.

I also think to say that they are doing it on purpose is ridiculous.

If the refs and the SEC were going to fix Games and I am not saying they are don't you think they would find a much less obvious way then to make calls that bad especially with the ramifications that can bring.

If the same calls were to made in a game between some no bodies the only people that would be upset are the fans of the losing team and definitely would not be a national headline, but because it happened to benefit a couple of high profile teams and now its a huge story and the games are fixed. It's BS.

10/27/09   |   Pat   |   5235 respect

BigTone2475 wrote:
Will you people give it a rest with this crap about the refs missing or making bad calls to favor one team over another. Get real that is BS and you know it.. Just because you don't like the team that wins doesn't mean the refs were paid off give me a break.

No one is saying that they're paid off. But I would say that they are, at the very least, cognizant of the fact that their conference will be more "successful" if the teams that are "supposed" to win are the teams that actually win. Just saying.

10/27/09   |   BigTone2475   |   326 respect

Will you people give it a rest with this crap about the refs missing or making bad calls to favor one team over another. Get real that is BS and you know it.. Just because you don't like the team that wins doesn't mean the refs were paid off give me a break.

10/27/09   |   hammew   |   7 respect

The refs are sickening this year. I love college football but it is almost a joke this year.

10/27/09   |   kantwistaye   |   4219 respect

Big Ten Football - At least our officials are too incompetent to favor one team!

10/27/09   |   tpowell25   |   1627 respect

Next up, Ivy League official gets suspended for not using correct algorithm when counting off penalty yards.

10/27/09   |   zhum24   |   47 respect

Who cares about the ref, that has got to hurt.