Referee Wrongly Takes TD From Troy Polamalu And Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers Cover. The Fix Is In?

I'm Not Going To Say It Was Fixed, But The End Of This Game Sure Looked Suspicious

11/17/08 in NFL   |   Pat   |   5232 respect



In case you haven't noticed, the refereeing this year has been pretty awful. And for some reason, a few of the high profile examples of this have happened in games involving the Chargers. The latest example of this inexplicable officiating was when they took away a late TD by Troy Polamalu on an illegal forward pass call. After the game, referee Scott Green admitted that the Steelers should have been given the TD, and that they made a mistake.

Fans who took the Steelers against the spread (-4.5) were pretty upset with the call at the end of the game, which changed the final score from an 8 point Steeler win to only 1 point.

Another factor that doesn't help the NFL's cause is that the penalties were outrageously one-sided. The Steelers were penalized 13 times for 115 yards. The Chargers were penalized only twice for 5 yards, and one of those penalties came on the final play of the game, which ended up hurting the Steelers more than the Chargers.

Was the game fixed? Probably not. People make mistakes, and that's just part of the game. But this game certainly LOOKED a little fishy, and this whole year has been an ongoing sign that the NFL needs to look at their officiating and find out what they need to do to fix improve it.


Referee Admits Error At End Of Chargers-Steelers Game [ProFootballTalk]
Fans Think Fix Was In For Chargers-Steelers [ProFootballTalk]

Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

11/22/08   |   MarkW49ers   |   2 respect

So, did you hear the one about the Priest and the Rabbi???

11/18/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

cowboysfan555 wrote:
Are you an official? How do you know the Steelers truthfully didn't deserve a majority of those penalties?

People stop whining people!!!!!!! Their is no conspiracy here. How lame of a belief is that? The refs could care less who won a regular season game between the Chargers and Steelers that had no value either way. People are sucked into the idea of a conspiracy way too easy nowadays. Just don't worry about it people.

The PI call on Taylor in the endzone was bogus.  The fair catch interference call was bad because the receiver decided to move after he signaled for a fair catch, which makes him fair game to be tackled.  When it comes to the last play, the ref obviously had no clue what he was doing...it's a TD and they have to kick the extra points, no wait, there's a forward pass but the penalty is declined, so the PAT isn't needed, no wait, the TD doesn't count.  You don't see the problem with that final play?  I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, but if it takes a ref that long to figure out a final ruling and change his mind more times than Rivers was picked off, he shouldn't be a head official.

11/18/08   |   brianmc0331   |   10 respect

(Edited by brianmc0331)

The horse has officially been beaten to DEATH oh and btw the Seahawks did get the high hard one on calls in the Superbowl anyone watching that game with half a brain would agree....BUT if you want to win the big one you have to preform and go out and take it ..you cant let a few calls be you excuse....Big Time Players make Big time Plays in Big Games

STEELERS on C@$% .....

11/18/08   |   Dalarin   |   7 respect

cowboysfan555 wrote:
I don't remember bad calls against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I hated both teams evenly in that game and remember saying how bad the Seahawks were getting screwed. I could care less that the Steelers won or that the Seahawks lost but remember I was a neutral fan watching that game and have no bias towards either team. So your bias opinion is useless.

And no I remember bad calls against the Cowboys in plenty of games that they won and didn't think of any of them after the game as long as the Cowboys won. I just care about winning. I would care less if Newman or Williams had a TD stripped away from them as long as the Cowboys won.

The game was 21-10. One touchdown call on a second down and goal run. 1. We had another shot 2. If we missed the score would have been 17-10 due to a FG. I'm tired of hearing about a game 2 1/2 years ago when the outcome would not have changed!

11/18/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

kramer wrote:
My biased opinion is useless?  That's where you're wrong.  That game had bad calls go both ways, but when the Steelers were faced with a 3rd and 28 (or something ridiculous like that), Roethlisberger threw about a 35-yard pass to Hines Ward at the Seattle 3-yard line.  Meanwhile, Josh Brown couldn't kick the damn ball straight in a dome, and missed 2 long field goals, but distance wasn't his problem.  That's not a biased opinion, that's what actually happened in that game, combined with the audibles Hasselbeck called and the lousy clock management at the end of both halves for Seattle.  Say what you want, but I'm sure you'd be aggravated if the Cowboys had a score wrongly taken away as well, no matter how you try to defend it.  Don't consider my opinion biased when I saw how Seattle was unable to cap off drives, especially when they should've been able to score something before the end of the first half in that game.  Now let's get back to the topic at hand.

I was talking about calls Kramer. The Steelers would have probably won either way but they really didn't have to play as hard because their were some obvious wrong calls. But I believe they were honest mistakes by the refs, nothing was fixed. Dude you can say what you want but you don't know me in real life do you? No!!! If you knew me then you'd realize I'm laid back and rarely get angry and could care less what happens to the Cowboys or any of my favorite teams as long as the Cowboys won or my other teams won. I would never whine about something that had no effect on the win-loss column.

11/18/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

Dalarin wrote:
O, one call? OK. By the way how about the 13 calls on the Steelers? How about a bad pass interference call that led to the Charger's 1 touchdown. Officiated right it would have been 18-3 Steelers. Just saying.

Are you an official? How do you know the Steelers truthfully didn't deserve a majority of those penalties?

People stop whining people!!!!!!! Their is no conspiracy here. How lame of a belief is that? The refs could care less who won a regular season game between the Chargers and Steelers that had no value either way. People are sucked into the idea of a conspiracy way too easy nowadays. Just don't worry about it people.

11/18/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

cowboysfan555 wrote:
I don't remember bad calls against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I hated both teams evenly in that game and remember saying how bad the Seahawks were getting screwed. I could care less that the Steelers won or that the Seahawks lost but remember I was a neutral fan watching that game and have no bias towards either team. So your bias opinion is useless.

And no I remember bad calls against the Cowboys in plenty of games that they won and didn't think of any of them after the game as long as the Cowboys won. I just care about winning. I would care less if Newman or Williams had a TD stripped away from them as long as the Cowboys won.

My biased opinion is useless?  That's where you're wrong.  That game had bad calls go both ways, but when the Steelers were faced with a 3rd and 28 (or something ridiculous like that), Roethlisberger threw about a 35-yard pass to Hines Ward at the Seattle 3-yard line.  Meanwhile, Josh Brown couldn't kick the damn ball straight in a dome, and missed 2 long field goals, but distance wasn't his problem.  That's not a biased opinion, that's what actually happened in that game, combined with the audibles Hasselbeck called and the lousy clock management at the end of both halves for Seattle.  Say what you want, but I'm sure you'd be aggravated if the Cowboys had a score wrongly taken away as well, no matter how you try to defend it.  Don't consider my opinion biased when I saw how Seattle was unable to cap off drives, especially when they should've been able to score something before the end of the first half in that game.  Now let's get back to the topic at hand.

11/18/08   |   Dalarin   |   7 respect

brianmc0331 wrote:
The refs made a mistake Bottom Line. There is 60 mins in a football game. One play is not how you "fix" a football game. Its how the rest of the entire game is called.The reason that there was a lot of money on that game is because it was a favorable one to bet on ..the Steelers should have covered. The reason they didn't wasn't because the refs fixed the game on one call, it is because the Steelers didn't play for Shi@t most of the game. Everyone of you conspiracy theory it was fixed and you know it people out there ask yourselves this....If that last play was a 60 yard bomb that was incomplete would you have looked at the game and said wow i think the refs fixed the game and only let The Steelers win by one point

O, one call? OK. By the way how about the 13 calls on the Steelers? How about a bad pass interference call that led to the Charger's 1 touchdown. Officiated right it would have been 18-3 Steelers. Just saying.

11/18/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

kramer wrote:
Call the play correctly...is that really too much to ask?  The Steelers got bad calls in the SB against the Seahawks as well, but because the Steelers were actually able to overcome the penalties and Mike Holmgren & Matt Hasselbeck didn't know how to run a 2-minute drill, everyone thinks the game was fixed.  The officiating all year has been horrendous, and something needs to be done.  I bet you'd be complaining a lot more than you give yourself credit for if this call had been against the Cowboys.  I'm happy they won, but if the play resulted in a TD, which it did, there was no reason to take it away, case closed.

I don't remember bad calls against the Steelers in the Super Bowl. I hated both teams evenly in that game and remember saying how bad the Seahawks were getting screwed. I could care less that the Steelers won or that the Seahawks lost but remember I was a neutral fan watching that game and have no bias towards either team. So your bias opinion is useless.

And no I remember bad calls against the Cowboys in plenty of games that they won and didn't think of any of them after the game as long as the Cowboys won. I just care about winning. I would care less if Newman or Williams had a TD stripped away from them as long as the Cowboys won.

11/18/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

cowboysfan555 wrote:
Or when the Steelers were handed over the Super Bowl victory against the Seahawks. Who cares that Polamalu was stripped of the TD. Did the Steelers win or lose? Stop crying people. This whining needs to stop. If this happened to the Cowboys I wouldn't care because as long as they win I could care less how the refs treated them in a game.

Call the play correctly...is that really too much to ask?  The Steelers got bad calls in the SB against the Seahawks as well, but because the Steelers were actually able to overcome the penalties and Mike Holmgren & Matt Hasselbeck didn't know how to run a 2-minute drill, everyone thinks the game was fixed.  The officiating all year has been horrendous, and something needs to be done.  I bet you'd be complaining a lot more than you give yourself credit for if this call had been against the Cowboys.  I'm happy they won, but if the play resulted in a TD, which it did, there was no reason to take it away, case closed.

11/18/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

kramer wrote:
A chincy pass interference call on Ike Taylor arguably led to LT's touchdown.  If anything, the receiver looked like he was pushing off.  I didn't have any money on the game, so I don't really care about the points spread, but I do care that Polamalu had a TD wrongfully taken away from him.  Call the play correctly, end of story.

That's the second time Polamalu has gotten a call go against him when it shouldn't have.  At least this time the Steelers can be glad it didn't give the other team a chance to come back and win like it did with that "incomplete pass" that was clearly a fumble recovery in Indy a few years ago.

Or when the Steelers were handed over the Super Bowl victory against the Seahawks. Who cares that Polamalu was stripped of the TD. Did the Steelers win or lose? Stop crying people. This whining needs to stop. If this happened to the Cowboys I wouldn't care because as long as they win I could care less how the refs treated them in a game.

11/18/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

brianmc0331 wrote:
The refs made a mistake Bottom Line. There is 60 mins in a football game. One play is not how you "fix" a football game. Its how the rest of the entire game is called.The reason that there was a lot of money on that game is because it was a favorable one to bet on ..the Steelers should have covered. The reason they didn't wasn't because the refs fixed the game on one call, it is because the Steelers didn't play for Shi@t most of the game. Everyone of you conspiracy theory it was fixed and you know it people out there ask yourselves this....If that last play was a 60 yard bomb that was incomplete would you have looked at the game and said wow i think the refs fixed the game and only let The Steelers win by one point

A chincy pass interference call on Ike Taylor arguably led to LT's touchdown.  If anything, the receiver looked like he was pushing off.  I didn't have any money on the game, so I don't really care about the points spread, but I do care that Polamalu had a TD wrongfully taken away from him.  Call the play correctly, end of story.

That's the second time Polamalu has gotten a call go against him when it shouldn't have.  At least this time the Steelers can be glad it didn't give the other team a chance to come back and win like it did with that "incomplete pass" that was clearly a fumble recovery in Indy a few years ago.

11/18/08   |   brianmc0331   |   10 respect

YankeeDudeL wrote:
Also, the drawback to my game being at 1pm, was that by the end of this game, things were slightly fuzzy.  I do remember that the Steelers had a hard time w/ penalties on their final drive.  I know they scored a touchdown, which got called back.  And I know that not only did the refs throw a phantom flag, they made up their own rules on how it plays out, and then when they admitted they screwed up, they did so by saying they weren't sure which pass was illegally forwarded.  And did u see the post-game?  Did u hear them saying that it was "clearly an illegal forward pass"?  It's as if they were either told to say that, or they were preempted to go w/ the refs on any call, just to not add fuel to the fire.  Obviously, Al Michaels and John Madden didn't get that memo.  I'll go ahead and say it, it was fixed.  U can be oblivious all u want, but deep down u know it.

The refs made a mistake Bottom Line. There is 60 mins in a football game. One play is not how you "fix" a football game. Its how the rest of the entire game is called.The reason that there was a lot of money on that game is because it was a favorable one to bet on ..the Steelers should have covered. The reason they didn't wasn't because the refs fixed the game on one call, it is because the Steelers didn't play for Shi@t most of the game. Everyone of you conspiracy theory it was fixed and you know it people out there ask yourselves this....If that last play was a 60 yard bomb that was incomplete would you have looked at the game and said wow i think the refs fixed the game and only let The Steelers win by one point

11/18/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

YankeeDudeL wrote:
Yanno, by being a fan, u've probably spent anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars on sports paraphernalia.  And for what?  U don't buy the newest jerseys, and purchase tickets to the games just to watch them lose.  Ur gambling on their success!  Especially if ur a Cowboy fan!  Everyone already hates u and is going to mock the crap out of u, but if u win, what's it matter? 

And as I see, gambling is like a second job (ok, a third, or fourth).  I know football pretty well.  I know lots of others who know football pretty well, too.  So this is not only a competition (as is sports), but it's also a way to earn money.  And I won my pool today.  And the only reason I did was b/c myself and the only other guy in the running just happened to be a Steelers fan!  I put in my hours, I got it right this week, I get the dough.  I earned my wages just like I do the other 48-72 hours a week.  U can call it stupid, and I can call u naive. 

In football its all about winning and losing. When you buy their jerseys or tickets your just showing your support to them. If they lose then oh well but you shouldn't be like "I just gambled on them by buying tickets to their game and then they lose." Now come on. That's only the stupid bandwagon fans and that's what they get.

I also know football pretty well and I would probably be good at gambling but I would never be that stupid with money. Telling people its alright to gamble is like telling people its alright to smoke cigarettes. Its complete nonsense. People who support gambling are pretty clueless in this world and actually do no good at all. You know how many people's lives have been ruined by gambling? And their families for that sake. I'm not calling you stupid and I think their are a lot of smart gamblers out there but the majority don't know what their getting into. And until they require some sort of IQ tests for gambling then it should be banned.

11/18/08   |   YankeeDudeL   |   15 respect

(Edited by YankeeDudeL)

Also, the drawback to my game being at 1pm, was that by the end of this game, things were slightly fuzzy.  I do remember that the Steelers had a hard time w/ penalties on their final drive.  I know they scored a touchdown, which got called back.  And I know that not only did the refs throw a phantom flag, they made up their own rules on how it plays out, and then when they admitted they screwed up, they did so by saying they weren't sure which pass was illegally forwarded.  And did u see the post-game?  Did u hear them saying that it was "clearly an illegal forward pass"?  It's as if they were either told to say that, or they were preempted to go w/ the refs on any call, just to not add fuel to the fire.  Obviously, Al Michaels and John Madden didn't get that memo.  I'll go ahead and say it, it was fixed.  U can be oblivious all u want, but deep down u know it.

11/18/08   |   YankeeDudeL   |   15 respect

cowboysfan555 wrote:
Its also one of the stupidest money making businesses in this country. They don't play football games for gambling purposes. I have no clue who feeds you that bull. Gambling is just something that happens to mooch on sports. Sports could do without gambling and the sports would still exist. Football could also go without the point spreads that gambling creates. These teams know if their the underdog without even looking at the spread. You can't honestly tell me that the Lions can't figure out that they would be at least 9 or higher underdogs to the Titans. I'm sorry but gambling is just as bad as smoking. Its way too addictive and we could do without it. I don't feel sorry for anyone who lost money to a stupid spread. They are the idiots for gambling. And your right it was a TD but does it make a difference? Did the Steelers win or lose? Winning or losing are the only two things that matter in football or a tie for that matter since the Eagles and Bengals showed us that ties still can happen.

Yanno, by being a fan, u've probably spent anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars on sports paraphernalia.  And for what?  U don't buy the newest jerseys, and purchase tickets to the games just to watch them lose.  Ur gambling on their success!  Especially if ur a Cowboy fan!  Everyone already hates u and is going to mock the crap out of u, but if u win, what's it matter? 

And as I see, gambling is like a second job (ok, a third, or fourth).  I know football pretty well.  I know lots of others who know football pretty well, too.  So this is not only a competition (as is sports), but it's also a way to earn money.  And I won my pool today.  And the only reason I did was b/c myself and the only other guy in the running just happened to be a Steelers fan!  I put in my hours, I got it right this week, I get the dough.  I earned my wages just like I do the other 48-72 hours a week.  U can call it stupid, and I can call u naive. 

11/17/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

wrote:
I think it was fixed...there was just too much of it is a touchdown they have to kick the field goal, wait let me review, no its not a TD.  Now I have to huddle with the other refs...again.

Also on a local radio station some caller said that on youtube one official ran all the way down the field and told Mike Tomlin "I hope they didn't throw away their gambling tickets." Tomlin disgustedly waved his hand at him as to say get out of here.  While I found video of the of the confrontation, there was no audio.  I'd really like to know if thats what the ref said.

Also, is 100 million dollars being bet on one game a lot? Thats what was bet on this game, one website made it seem like it was, but I have no clue what the norm is.

If that's what the ref really said to Mike Tomlin, he should be fined along with every other member of that officiating crew for fixing the spread.  I know the Steelers still won, but you gotta get the call right.

11/17/08   |   Dalarin   |   7 respect

I heard 64 million dollars was bet on that and those people lost 64 million on that one call!

11/17/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

I was talking to a friend of mine at lunch about the game.  She's a Redskins fan who isn't very happy after last night, but when I explained to her how the ref admitted he botched the call, the first thing she asked me was "was it Ed Hochuli?"  She was pretty shocked when I said no.

11/17/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Pat wrote:
This may surprise you, but I'm pretty objective. I only bash them when they suck. Usually they do. However, yesterday was not an example of that.

Yeah, 7-3 with the hardest schedule in nearly 30 years really sucks.

11/17/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

derms33 wrote:
Puttin up 11 on a bad defense was impressive...I drove through Pitts (Sorry Kramer) and the wind and snow sucked, so I'll give 'em a pass

I'm up at school in Meadville anyway, don't feel bad.

11/17/08   |   Jubanator14   |   367 respect

I didn't bet on the game but in the Plasma Poll, I picked PIttsburgh +7 so I am more upset about that. If I miss a square because of that game...

11/17/08   |   brianmc0331   |   10 respect

derms33 wrote:

Gambling is one of the biggest money making businesses in this country.  If they didn't play the games for Gambling there would be no point spread and no injury reports.  If you think that for one second these players and coaches don't know if they are underdogs you are fools.  They all know what the point spread is...and that goes for referees as well.  BTW it was a TD.

(Edited by brianmc0331)

Yup it was a TD you are correct..... the fact that you think sports are played for the purpose of gambling is ludicrous... no not move Bi@$% get out of the way Luda.....but just plain ridiculous.To think that current greats or hall of famers strap on the pads buckle up there chin straps and play through the pain of broken bones for the glory of making some bookie money is just plain stupid. That being said I'm sure that some point shaving at all levels of sports,happens, but I'm also sure it is not the rule only the exception.

11/17/08   |   MarkW49ers   |   2 respect

(Edited by MarkW49ers)

Although not a gambler myself, I can empathize with those whom lost did not win their bets yesterday. But, and I know I am going out on a limb here, I would 'bet' those who are complaining today would not be doing so and, certainly would not be giving their winnings back had they won their bets due to a bad call...right? Ok, so what is important here…simple, the integrity of the game; that is what is important. Far above and beyond the concern of whether or not a bad call has influenced the outcome of a gamble or a fantasy stat is the impact it has on the integrity of the game. For whatever reason it does seem this year more than most; the referees have been getting it wrong. There have been more flags picked-up, more missed calls, more mid-field compendiums; more bad calls live time and, it seems, even those coming from 'under the hood' can not be trusted to get it right either. In addition, and to digress for just a moment...The leadership from the sidelines (coaching) this year has been less than stellar as well. (As a 49ers fan I am an authority on both bad coaching and bad game management) As for yesterdays Chargers/Steelers game did the concept of fair catching the kick-off completely elude Norv Turner? The chargers could have had 1st and ten near the 30 yard line with 11 seconds left instead of starting at the 21 with only 5 seconds. But, and not to belabor this point, getting calls correct for the sake of gamblers or even fantasy players is insignificant to preserving the integrity of the sport. Besides, all gamblers should be acutely aware when they place their bets they are not just gambling on the final score, but, they are just as much gambling that the final score will be uninfluenced by bad calls and/or bad leadership...and, at least so far this year, that just might be the biggest gamble of all.

11/17/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

derms33 wrote:

Gambling is one of the biggest money making businesses in this country.  If they didn't play the games for Gambling there would be no point spread and no injury reports.  If you think that for one second these players and coaches don't know if they are underdogs you are fools.  They all know what the point spread is...and that goes for referees as well.  BTW it was a TD.

Its also one of the stupidest money making businesses in this country. They don't play football games for gambling purposes. I have no clue who feeds you that bull. Gambling is just something that happens to mooch on sports. Sports could do without gambling and the sports would still exist. Football could also go without the point spreads that gambling creates. These teams know if their the underdog without even looking at the spread. You can't honestly tell me that the Lions can't figure out that they would be at least 9 or higher underdogs to the Titans. I'm sorry but gambling is just as bad as smoking. Its way too addictive and we could do without it. I don't feel sorry for anyone who lost money to a stupid spread. They are the idiots for gambling. And your right it was a TD but does it make a difference? Did the Steelers win or lose? Winning or losing are the only two things that matter in football or a tie for that matter since the Eagles and Bengals showed us that ties still can happen.

11/17/08   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

Pat wrote:
This may surprise you, but I'm pretty objective. I only bash them when they suck. Usually they do. However, yesterday was not an example of that.

Puttin up 11 on a bad defense was impressive...I drove through Pitts (Sorry Kramer) and the wind and snow sucked, so I'll give 'em a pass

11/17/08   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

Gambling is one of the biggest money making businesses in this country.  If they didn't play the games for Gambling there would be no point spread and no injury reports.  If you think that for one second these players and coaches don't know if they are underdogs you are fools.  They all know what the point spread is...and that goes for referees as well.  BTW it was a TD.

11/17/08   |   derms33   |   17642 respect

brianmc0331 wrote:
Last time that I checked Football wasnt played for millions of gamblers across the world ....now I do understand the implications of the fix being on ...lookin at that play though the first lateral was close enough to  be confused on the field by the ref and since it didnt effect the outcome of the game there is no need to review it...if you want to talk injustice and fixes just review the entire last Superbowl the Steelers won

Check again

11/17/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

Dalarin wrote:
Wow 2 articles from Pat about the Steelers that did not bash them in any way! I'm impressed Pat!

This may surprise you, but I'm pretty objective. I only bash them when they suck. Usually they do. However, yesterday was not an example of that.

11/17/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

brianmc0331 wrote:
Last time that I checked Football wasnt played for millions of gamblers across the world ....now I do understand the implications of the fix being on ...lookin at that play though the first lateral was close enough to  be confused on the field by the ref and since it didnt effect the outcome of the game there is no need to review it...if you want to talk injustice and fixes just review the entire last Superbowl the Steelers won

Exactly. Who cares about the gamblers. Their taking the risk gambling anyways. I watch football for what it was intended for, entertainment. Their is no need to whine about this at all. If you are a gambler that went with the spread then oh well, life goes on. You shouldn't have gambled in the first place.

11/17/08   |   brianmc0331   |   10 respect

Last time that I checked Football wasnt played for millions of gamblers across the world ....now I do understand the implications of the fix being on ...lookin at that play though the first lateral was close enough to  be confused on the field by the ref and since it didnt effect the outcome of the game there is no need to review it...if you want to talk injustice and fixes just review the entire last Superbowl the Steelers won

11/17/08   |   Dalarin   |   7 respect

Wow 2 articles from Pat about the Steelers that did not bash them in any way! I'm impressed Pat!

11/17/08   |   Ryanlaxbull13

At least this game result was decided by that point in the game, not like the Chargers-Broncos game where it affected the outcome of the game. What I don't understand is why they even reviewed the initial call of a touchdown. Seems pretty pointless to me if after review both teams are going to shake hands after anyway. And I think this play actually saved gamblers more than it hurt them. I think most betters would have picked the Chargers to cover the spread as it is. The Chargers being involved twice with bad officiating, I think, is more coincidence than conspiracy.

11/17/08   |   KDP9

Pat wrote:
Yeah... no big deal... only the gamblers... there were only millions of dollars riding on the spread in various casinos and on various websites across the country and throughout the world.

I can't imagine what the big deal would be.

Yeah the calls in that game were very strange.  The one that comes to mind is the supposed pass interference on Ike Taylor that gave the Chargers their only TD.  The fact that the calls were so one sided is a bit strange, and Troy's TD should have counted. 

The Steelers won the game regardless, but the NFL does have to do something about the officiating.  Especially the roughing the passer calls. 

11/17/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

Pat wrote:
Yeah... no big deal... only the gamblers... there were only millions of dollars riding on the spread in various casinos and on various websites across the country and throughout the world.

I can't imagine what the big deal would be.

Not my problem that their gambling. So it really isn't a big deal to someone who doesn't gamble away money and chooses to be smart with money.

11/17/08   |   Pat   |   5232 respect

cowboysfan555 wrote:
I'm still confused to what the big deal is. It only effects the gamblers and Troy Polamalu's stats. I predicted they'd win by 5 on this site and I could care less that it cost me some points. The Steelers won the game and the Chargers lost no matter what the call was. I will have to agree that the refereeing this year has been questionable but I don't think the refs were picking on the Steelers or any other team for that matter. I just think the refs don't always make the correct calls. It usually turns into some big conspiracy.

Yeah... no big deal... only the gamblers... there were only millions of dollars riding on the spread in various casinos and on various websites across the country and throughout the world.

I can't imagine what the big deal would be.

11/17/08   |   cowboysfan555   |   1 respect

I'm still confused to what the big deal is. It only effects the gamblers and Troy Polamalu's stats. I predicted they'd win by 5 on this site and I could care less that it cost me some points. The Steelers won the game and the Chargers lost no matter what the call was. I will have to agree that the refereeing this year has been questionable but I don't think the refs were picking on the Steelers or any other team for that matter. I just think the refs don't always make the correct calls. It usually turns into some big conspiracy.

11/17/08   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

kramer wrote:
Gee, what a surprise.  I was wondering where this "forward" pass came from, because every lateral I saw on that last play went BACKWARDS!  It probably was fixed just so the NFL could make history with the first 11-10 final score, but don't take away a clear TD because of a forward pass that you made up out of nowhere just to make sure history occurs.

It could be worse. As a gambler you could be about to lose your thumbs over a game you should have won.

11/17/08   |   kramer   |   11004 respect

Gee, what a surprise.  I was wondering where this "forward" pass came from, because every lateral I saw on that last play went BACKWARDS!  It probably was fixed just so the NFL could make history with the first 11-10 final score, but don't take away a clear TD because of a forward pass that you made up out of nowhere just to make sure history occurs.