The NFL Has Nothing On The NHL: Ryan Smyth Nearly Killed By Jack Johnson

3/2/08 in NHL   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect


I know I joke every so often about how few people watch hockey, but I never joke about the toughness of the players in the sport, ever.

These guys are tough as nails and play an 80+ game season that if you converted it to NFL games would have to be something like a 30 game season. It's ridiculous.

And sometimes, stuff like this happens. This was an absolutely brutal hit that Jack Johnson put on Ryan Smyth, who looked like he got hit by a bus. Smyth lay motionless for several minutes and was strapped into a stretcher before being taken off the ice. Luckily, the Avalanche reported that Smyth was conscious and walking, but was sent to a hospital for further examination.

The kicker: No penalty on Johnson.
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

3/4/08   |   kteacher   |   34350 respect

wrote:
Western Conference
 Team GP Pts
 1. Detroit 67 92  
 2. Dallas 69 87  
 3. Minnesota 66 79  
 4. Anaheim 68 83  
 5. San Jose 66 82  
 6. Calgary 66 77  
 7. Vancouver 65 74  
 8. Colorado 66 74  
 9. Nashville 66 74  
 10. Phoenix 66 71  
 11. Columbus 67 70  
 12. Chicago 65 68  
 13. Edmonton 66 67  
 14. St. Louis 65 66  
 15. Los Angeles 67 57  
 * = Division Leader
 
ADVERTISEMENT

What am I suppose to get from this? I am a Kings fan and I am quite aware of their record. I am also aware of them possibly getting the number one pick (Stamkos)  which will go quite nicely with the young core they have that many teams envy. Do I hate losing? YES, but I will take it, if it means I get to look forward to many years of playoff hockey.

How will your team do if they miss out on the playoffs?  They will not be picking in the first round of a very deep draft because they gave up a first for an "old" Foote.

3/4/08   |   kteacher   |   34350 respect

(Edited by kteacher)

3/4/08   |   kteacher   |   34350 respect

wrote:
Thanks to your Queens Smyth is out indefinitely with a concussion and separated shoulder.  There goes the Cup run! >:-(

Hey! Maybe you should be blaming the Pepsi Center for not padding the partition the way other arenas do.

By the way "Queens",----------like I haven't heard that before!

3/4/08   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

kral-matej wrote:

Hockey players are the toughest without a doubt.  Rock Tocchet scored a goal for pittsburgh playing with a broken jaw.  Some other guy once scored with a Fn broken leg!!!  Think "baseball" players... compare.  contrast.

 

(Edited by Boski93)

Curse you double post!

3/4/08   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

kral-matej wrote:

Hockey players are the toughest without a doubt.  Rock Tocchet scored a goal for pittsburgh playing with a broken jaw.  Some other guy once scored with a Fn broken leg!!!  Think "baseball" players... compare.  contrast.

 

Side note, Tocchet also hit everything on his teaser card that night.

3/4/08   |   kral-matej

Hockey players are the toughest without a doubt.  Rock Tocchet scored a goal for pittsburgh playing with a broken jaw.  Some other guy once scored with a Fn broken leg!!!  Think "baseball" players... compare.  contrast.

 

3/3/08   |   kteacher   |   34350 respect

Boski93 wrote:
Jack Johnson, is an angry young man, thank god he plays for the Kings. I don't think he was trying to Claude Lemiuex him.

Actually, I would kind of like him to play a little more angry.

3/3/08   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

Jack Johnson, is an angry young man, thank god he plays for the Kings. I don't think he was trying to Claude Lemiuex him.

3/3/08   |   tommybalish

kteacher wrote:
No penalty was warranted. It was a clean hit. The fans of Colorado should have seen the replay, for the booed Jack  the rest of the night.

this is the same jack johnson who played for michigan, "go blue" however he is known as one of the dirtest players to ever play college hockey. This kid hads parents writting to the ncaa that they didn't want there kids playing with him. Did the hit deserve a pentlty no, however was it intentional you bet your season tickets it was.

3/3/08   |   tommybalish

this is the same jack johnson who played for michigan, "go blue" however he is known as one of the dirtest players to ever play college hockey. This kid had parents writting to the ncaa that they didn't want there kids playing with him. Did the hit deserve a pentlty no because the leauge rules are flowed however was it intentional you bet your season tickets it was.

3/2/08   |   kteacher   |   34350 respect

wrote:
Players know where they are on the ice.  It looked like he was lining the hit up with the partition.  He'll never admit that and nobody can delve into his subconscious but one of the Avs is drinking his milkshake next time they play.
(Edited by kteacher)

I watched the game, and both players were riding the boards. How can you say that he was lining up the hit for Smyth to get  knocked out by the partition, lose his helmet, and go unconscious for a couple of seconds? How you forget that Lappy made the same kind of hit on Frolov (clean hit) earlier in the game. Was Lappy intentionally hitting Frolov into the partition? I don't think so.

3/2/08   |   MrNFL   |   175 respect

They have a small amount I think, but not enough to really matter.

3/2/08   |   kantwistaye   |   4211 respect

I take it that this isn't the same Jack Johnson that sings.

3/2/08   |   MrNFL   |   175 respect

Like the guy on the video said, they really should have some padding at the ends of the glass like that.

3/2/08   |   kteacher   |   34350 respect

No penalty was warranted. It was a clean hit. The fans of Colorado should have seen the replay, for the booed Jack  the rest of the night.

3/2/08   |   ISUMatt

I agree with IlliniBob, clean hit, just happened they were by the partitions, Im sure Smyth would agree as well

3/2/08   |   IlliniBob72   |   83 respect

Rightly there was no penalty. Clean hit. Just a flaw in the design of NHL rinks.