Tim Tebow Taunting Penalty

Even Tim Tebow's Taunting Penalty Was A Saintly Act

1/9/09 in NCAAF   |   100%InjuryRate   |   1283 respect

For those of you who aren't Gator fans, you probably noticed that last night's announcing crew, especially Thom Brennaman, was a little too effusive in their praise of Tim Tebow. The man did throw two bad picks, and he played no role in Percy Harvin playing through a fractured ankle. I also don't seem to remember him being part of the defense that held Oklahoma's historic offense to a paltry 14 points.

But it was clear there was an agenda that FOX had last night, and that Tebow is the second coming. Why else would Brennaman tell us that spending just 5 minutes with Tebow would change your life?

Anyway, after Brennaman and crew spent all evening on Tebow's jock, an interesting scenario came up in the 4th quarter with just a minute plus remaining. Tebow got penalized for a ridiculously stupid taunting penalty.



Classless? Oh yes. Foolish? Even more so, because it stopped the clock for Oklahoma. Yet what did we hear from the announcing crew?

"That might be the first thing he's ever done wrong in his life." - Brennaman

Brennaman's partner, Charles Davis, decided he'd excuse the behavior by saying, "he was backing away, which is good."

I'm sorry, that's not true. Tebow came directly up to the OU player to taunt him, then he backed away when it was clear he had the OU player's direct attention. Plus, backing away from someone while taunting them isn't good. It's just as dumb as doing it directly in their face.

Now, I don't really have a problem with Tebow doing this, a lot of guys do stuff like this during games. But it annoys me that Tebow gets a free pass for this, whereas you know if Percy Harvin did this we'd hear something completely different.

The real reason why Tim Tebow is the most hated player in America outside of Florida really doesn't have much to do with him. It has to do with the fact that so many people in the media can't seem to talk about him objectively and they're willing to make excuse after excuse for the guy.

Whatever, that'll all change pretty fast when he's throwing interceptions for the Kansas City Chiefs.

[HT:
Fanhouse]
Notify me by email about comments that follow mine. Preview

1/12/09   |   snbslugger

TRACYA823 wrote:
I am so glad somebody had something postive to say. I think all of you haters need to take the crap on down the street. Tebow is a wonderful person and a terrific football player. And if you think that somebody can't have the heart just because he plays football and believes in Jesus....you all need to take a good look at yourself and stop judging him. Maybe the media really likes him, did you ever stop and think about that.

Welcome to FanIQ!

My apologies, but I cannot read all of the text in your post.  Tim Tebow has not cured my blindness yet.

1/12/09   |   TRACYA823

redgatorfa wrote:
Morons - while the announcing did suck - did any of you actually watch the game and see that the OU player that Tebow taunted was the A-hole that had earlier deliberately yanked on Percy Harvin's ankle after the whistle and he was down? Classless? OU's got that covered. Hard hits are football - especially SEC football that OU got a nice taste of - intentionally trying to cripple someone because they are kicking your a$$ up and down the field is criminal and typical of the Big XII rednecks.

I am so glad somebody had something postive to say. I think all of you haters need to take the crap on down the street. Tebow is a wonderful person and a terrific football player. And if you think that somebody can't have the heart just because he plays football and believes in Jesus....you all need to take a good look at yourself and stop judging him. Maybe the media really likes him, did you ever stop and think about that.

1/11/09   |   falcon1527   |   1 respect

Tebow is a good player but the butt smooching by the media takes away from that.

1/10/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

redgatorfa wrote:
Morons - while the announcing did suck - did any of you actually watch the game and see that the OU player that Tebow taunted was the A-hole that had earlier deliberately yanked on Percy Harvin's ankle after the whistle and he was down? Classless? OU's got that covered. Hard hits are football - especially SEC football that OU got a nice taste of - intentionally trying to cripple someone because they are kicking your a$$ up and down the field is criminal and typical of the Big XII rednecks.

Wow, I'm not sure where to start.  First, the SEC hasn't cornered the market on hard-hitting.  Second, nobody dominated anyone last night.  Florida deserved to win, but not because they were dominant. 

Worst of all, how are we defining "redneck" anyway.  I have heard more Florida fans pledging to live their lives like Tim Tebow than I ever thought was possible.  I'm sure he's a decent human being, but the depth of the hero worship is creepy. 

1/9/09   |   redgatorfa

Morons - while the announcing did suck - did any of you actually watch the game and see that the OU player that Tebow taunted was the A-hole that had earlier deliberately yanked on Percy Harvin's ankle after the whistle and he was down? Classless? OU's got that covered. Hard hits are football - especially SEC football that OU got a nice taste of - intentionally trying to cripple someone because they are kicking your a$$ up and down the field is criminal and typical of the Big XII rednecks.

1/9/09   |   snbslugger

elevenbravo138again wrote:
 Let's be honest, race as well as the halo that floats over double T, actually purchased that free pass.  Pat White is much the same type of leader, but we'd hear how "disappointing such a display is from an otherwise fine young man."- Blah, Blah, Blah.  There is a "Great White Hope" element at play here, just as some of the Duke adulation stems from the fairly heavy spinkling of pale prospects on the team.  Am I suggesting that 100% of the outpouring of unabashed worship is about race?  No, 10-15% tops, but I never saw this level of breathless "mancrush" regarding any Black college football player in the last 35 years.  

I dunno if I'm buying the race angle, but I will admit I find Myron Rolle's accomplishments just as, if not more compelling a story than Tim Tebow. 

1/9/09   |   mamacatfan

dallas_fan wrote:
I bolded him for ya

Thanks!

1/9/09   |   elevenbravo138again   |   1163 respect

 Let's be honest, race as well as the halo that floats over double T, actually purchased that free pass.  Pat White is much the same type of leader, but we'd hear how "disappointing such a display is from an otherwise fine young man."- Blah, Blah, Blah.  There is a "Great White Hope" element at play here, just as some of the Duke adulation stems from the fairly heavy spinkling of pale prospects on the team.  Am I suggesting that 100% of the outpouring of unabashed worship is about race?  No, 10-15% tops, but I never saw this level of breathless "mancrush" regarding any Black college football player in the last 35 years.  

1/9/09   |   snbslugger

The only thing I really learned about the National Championship game is that Jesus Christ is apparently left-handed.

1/9/09   |   das3cr   |   288 respect

The coverage was no worse than ESPN's evangelizing USC non stop.

1/9/09   |   derms33   |   17645 respect

FOX should not be allowed to have the BCS games.  Their announcing is terrible.  They don't know what down it is and they don't notice a clock running after an incomplete pass.  IDIOTS...Oh and Tebow is the Resurrection of Christ.  (just thought I'd throw that in)

1/9/09   |   YankeeDudeL   |   15 respect

I wasn't going to give my Nielson ratings away to a fraud National Championship game, but it's hard to maintain a membership to a website such as this and not watch at least a lil.  As soon as I did, I realized y I didn't want to in the first place.  I don't know the commentators at all, but it seemed like this was their first go 'round.  Right off the bat, mere minutes into the game, their comparing how gameplans r working, not working, who's doing this, who's not, and analyzing a game that u would have been sure was 3 full quarters deep.  Nope, it was the opening drive, and they weren't even past the 13 minute mark.  It became painstakingly aware these guys were in awe of a moment much bigger than them, and the true greatness of Tim Tebow.  All this, while the reigning Heisman Trophy winner was on the field.  I immediately tuned into the History Channel, as it was airing 'Nostradamus: 2012'.  I figured if Tebow was the second coming, I might as well see how the whole "end of the world" thing was gonna play out.

1/9/09   |   coolkraft2003   |   6 respect

yep those announcers were idiots...referring to Oklahoma as prime meat among other ridiculous comments.  who the hell dug them up to announce this game?

1/9/09   |   dallas_fan

mamacatfan wrote:
Oops, I didn't mean to Hit the "poor" button! I meant to hit "bold!"
Sorry,

I bolded him for ya

1/9/09   |   Boski93   |   375 respect

Did Tebow say tell Brennaman that he hated Cubs fans as much as he does ?

1/9/09   |   mamacatfan

wrote:
Tebow can put this Bible passage on his eye black ....Ezekiel 25:17.

Royale with cheese


The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.


Oops, I didn't mean to Hit the "poor" button! I meant to hit "bold!"
Sorry,

1/9/09   |   Heyhey1970   |   194 respect

Yeah, it was painful to listen to.  Especially the he'll "change your life" stuff.  I was a little surprised that Thom Brennaman went down that road, but thankfully, it's over. 

1/9/09   |     |   1 respect

Tebow can put this Bible passage on his eye black ....Ezekiel 25:17.

Royale with cheese


The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.