Welcome to FanIQ News

Top Stories

Thumbs Up Most Popular This Week

Who's Talking?

Who's Hot?

More Leaders

Watch and Collect Videos

Video-Albert Pujols and Grover talk about being an 'Athlete'-YouTube
Albert Pujols and Grover talk about being an ...
  thumbs up | 1/28/14
Video-Exclusive interview with Ryan Zimmerman-YouTube
Exclusive interview with Ryan Zimmerman - 1 Comment
  thumbs up | 5/29/13
Derek Jeter is the second-worst infielder of all time in MLB history

by 100%InjuryRate 100%InjuryRate 5/28/09111 Comment Comments »
It's been proven time and time again that Derek Jeter is a below average infielder. The fact that guy has multiple Gold Gloves is a crime against humanity. He has no range whatsoever.

But even I didn't think he was this bad.

A study by the Hardball Times, a very good online publication, has determined that Jeter is the second worst infielder of all time. And that's going all the way back to 1871. Yikes.

View Article: (www.hardballtimes.com)

Read Related:  MLB

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#41 | 1941 days ago

At least he has less Infield hits to deal with at  their new ballpark. Now he can just watch hits sail over his head 
  
111 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First

Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#21 | 1941 days ago

Joshadecker wrote:
 Well said, These are all probably badwagon Boston fans who jumped on after they won their first world series in 86 years!!
Believe it or not, the Red Sox had fans before that. Fenway Park has sold out every single game since May of 2003, a year and a half before we won our first WS in 86 years.

How's attendance in Yankee Stadium these days?
#22 | 1941 days ago

Joshadecker wrote:
 ARV, I can respect your stance on it, Im not asking for someone to step up and say he is the best I am a Die Hard Yankee fan, But trash talking someone in the sport who commands respect of his teammates and other teams and players should get a little respect on a message board. I hate Tom Brady, but i respect the guy as an athlete and a football player, Minus the whole shirtless modeling pics. I just hate to see someone say they think he is the worst JUST on his stats after hes been playing for 10 years and has done SO much for the sport. He is a role model He is clean cut, a good ball player, dedicated to his team, hasnt done roids. He shows up to every game plays his game for himself and his team and plays well, and goes home...no complaints no excuses.... Just respect the guy simple as put
Right.. he's all of those things, and he's also a womanizer, a diva, and one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball.

And while you think that he has done a lot for the sport, the truth is that the sport has done a lot for him. He's being compensated pretty well for playing as crappy as he does.
#23 | 1941 days ago

It is the old school versus new school arguement that is on-going in baseball. Scouts, Older GM's and Joe Morgan just dont believe in anything other than ERA, Batting Avg, and what they think their eyes see. These are the same people that think OPS and WHIP are worthless and live in the past when it comes to rating players. Is Jeter a great hitter, teammate, and champion? Yes. Is he a terrible infielder? Yes.
#24 | 1941 days ago

Pat wrote:
Right.. he's all of those things, and he's also a womanizer, a diva, and one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball.

And while you think that he has done a lot for the sport, the truth is that the sport has done a lot for him. He's being compensated pretty well for playing as crappy as he does.
 Yeah its funny just when everyone notices that the Sox are getting kind of good they start attending the games? what does that say about their fans? before 2003 you couldnt give away Sox tickets. and Yes they did have fans before they won the WS I dont discount the 3-4 65 year old men sitting in the bars I used to work at crying because the Sox had blown another to the Yankees. I respect them as fans and feel for them. So as a Yankee fan when the Sox finally DID win a WS I rooted for them For those guys not the crap fans who were fans only a year and a half before. Its funny though Ive been to Yankee Games all across the country since I was a little kid and Usually see at least as many Yankee fans if not more than the Home team...go figure... As for Jeter being a womanizer? Hes a single eligible Bacelor? He can do what he wants, a Diva? I dont think so. And incase you forgot who owns the Yankees, do you really think a Billionaire like George Steinbrenner, who would fire people because he didnt like the statements they made, would keep a "crappy" Shortstop...Give me  break. You have no Idea what your talking about. Show a Little respect. 
#25 | 1941 days ago

Pat wrote:
Right.. he's all of those things, and he's also a womanizer, a diva, and one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball.

And while you think that he has done a lot for the sport, the truth is that the sport has done a lot for him. He's being compensated pretty well for playing as crappy as he does.
remember back in the day when the argument was always who was the best shortstop? Jeter, Nomar, or Arod?.........lets check on that.

Nomar now plays 1st base.

Arod now plays 3rd base

Jeter still plays shortstop but is the second worst defensive player of all time..........

there doesn't appear to be a clear winner here.....just a bunch of losers. lol
#26 | 1941 days ago

Joshadecker wrote:
 Yeah its funny just when everyone notices that the Sox are getting kind of good they start attending the games? what does that say about their fans? before 2003 you couldnt give away Sox tickets. and Yes they did have fans before they won the WS I dont discount the 3-4 65 year old men sitting in the bars I used to work at crying because the Sox had blown another to the Yankees. I respect them as fans and feel for them. So as a Yankee fan when the Sox finally DID win a WS I rooted for them For those guys not the crap fans who were fans only a year and a half before. Its funny though Ive been to Yankee Games all across the country since I was a little kid and Usually see at least as many Yankee fans if not more than the Home team...go figure... As for Jeter being a womanizer? Hes a single eligible Bacelor? He can do what he wants, a Diva? I dont think so. And incase you forgot who owns the Yankees, do you really think a Billionaire like George Steinbrenner, who would fire people because he didnt like the statements they made, would keep a "crappy" Shortstop...Give me  break. You have no Idea what your talking about. Show a Little respect. 
"before 2003 you couldnt give away Sox tickets"

That statement isn't even remotely true. I don't even need to argue it, because I lived in Massachusetts at the time, and I know exactly how hard it has been to get Sox tickets for a long time.


"Its funny though Ive been to Yankee Games all across the country since I was a little kid and Usually see at least as many Yankee fans if not more than the Home team...go figure..."

News flash... it's the same way for the Red Sox. And the Cubs, for that matter. What's your point?

It has nothing to do with respect. And the fact that Steinbrenner kept Jeter means nothing. Steinbrenner is, and always has been an idiot.

Yes, Jeter's a diva. If he wasn't, he would have agreed to switch positions when Alex Rodriguez, a far better defensive shortstop, came to the team. Instead, he forced A-Rod to move to 3rd, giving the Yankees a defensive liability at TWO positions (unil A-Rod learned how to adjust to the new position), instead of only one.
#27 | 1941 days ago

Joshadecker wrote:
 Yeah its funny just when everyone notices that the Sox are getting kind of good they start attending the games? what does that say about their fans? before 2003 you couldnt give away Sox tickets. and Yes they did have fans before they won the WS I dont discount the 3-4 65 year old men sitting in the bars I used to work at crying because the Sox had blown another to the Yankees. I respect them as fans and feel for them. So as a Yankee fan when the Sox finally DID win a WS I rooted for them For those guys not the crap fans who were fans only a year and a half before. Its funny though Ive been to Yankee Games all across the country since I was a little kid and Usually see at least as many Yankee fans if not more than the Home team...go figure... As for Jeter being a womanizer? Hes a single eligible Bacelor? He can do what he wants, a Diva? I dont think so. And incase you forgot who owns the Yankees, do you really think a Billionaire like George Steinbrenner, who would fire people because he didnt like the statements they made, would keep a "crappy" Shortstop...Give me  break. You have no Idea what your talking about. Show a Little respect. 
Give me one valid reason why I should "respect" Derek Jeter, and I'll give you 5 more reasons why I shouldn't.
#28 | 1941 days ago

The only real suprise here is that 100%injuryrate scooped this up before Pat did...... you're slackin Pat!!
#29 | 1941 days ago

Jeter would be known as an average shortstop had he been on any other team...I'd argue he might not have gotten as many ABs as he has over his career. The Yankees are dumb for holding on to him and for paying as much as they do
#30 | 1941 days ago

 Then whos first Nick Green!
#31 | 1941 days ago

beerstudk wrote:
The only real suprise here is that 100%injuryrate scooped this up before Pat did...... you're slackin Pat!!
This is true. I feel like I've failed you all by not picking up on this first. My apologies, everyone.
#32 | 1941 days ago
SweetCleanJaybo (+)

Nobody is talking about the true crime here.  How in the world is Dean Palmer on the list of bad infielders? lol
#33 | 1941 days ago

 Wow, Jeter sucks. If is infielding is poor his brain is poor. Maybe he's got a poor life, with poor eyesight.  Maybe this letter is poor, but I gotta tell you something. Derek Jeter sucks the heck outta the park!  
#34 | 1941 days ago

gobigblue1960 wrote:

How stupid. Is there some secrert society out there who's sole goal is to diminish the acheivements of Derek Jeter.?
100%...you have serious issues when it comes to Jeter. This studi is , to say the least, ridiculous. Even the author of the stats say's he isn't sure if his convoluted formula works, and all but admits at the end that by sure coincidence, his calculations were made up.

Please tell me that you don't belive that every single infielder , say one, is a better than Jeter.? How ridiculous.

If you want more valid arguments, read this argument by Rob Neyer. Also this UPENN study on Jeter. Conclusion, he's the worst shortstop in the game, according to multiple people.

The Neyer is particularly interesting.
#35 | 1941 days ago

how many other shortstops have 4 rings in 5 years,please leave the bull$#!t behind no he's not the best but he is the capt. and leads by example not to much of that on other teams that i see
#36 | 1941 days ago
jacobmrley (+)

gobigblue1960 wrote:

How stupid. Is there some secrert society out there who's sole goal is to diminish the acheivements of Derek Jeter.?
100%...you have serious issues when it comes to Jeter. This studi is , to say the least, ridiculous. Even the author of the stats say's he isn't sure if his convoluted formula works, and all but admits at the end that by sure coincidence, his calculations were made up.

Please tell me that you don't belive that every single infielder , say one, is a better than Jeter.? How ridiculous.

If Derek Jeter weren't "Derek Jeter" he would have been moved to second base or the outfield long ago.  His defense has always been underwhelming and now it is just horrendous.  This does NOT take away from the fact the he is a clutch hitter with four rings and the guy with the right temperament to be captain of the Yankees.  As the old saying goes, you can't measure fielding with statistics, (which is why I would greatly discount the notion of this "study" that he is the second worst infielder ever) but anyone who has watched the man in the field for the last 13+ years knows the truth - only the worst homer or a blind fool would try and defend his fielding. 
#37 | 1941 days ago
jacobmrley (+)

Brendanc8504 wrote:
remember back in the day when the argument was always who was the best shortstop? Jeter, Nomar, or Arod?.........lets check on that.

Nomar now plays 1st base.

Arod now plays 3rd base

Jeter still plays shortstop but is the second worst defensive player of all time..........

there doesn't appear to be a clear winner here.....just a bunch of losers. lol
The only reason A-Rod plays third base is because the Yankees (foolishly) didn't move Jeter to second when they signed him.  A-Rod always had more range and a better arm, but I suppose on one level it makes sense to show respect for your captain, but it would have been better for the team all around if Jeter had moved from short.
#38 | 1941 days ago

dserra wrote:
how many other shortstops have 4 rings in 5 years,please leave the bull$#!t behind no he's not the best but he is the capt. and leads by example not to much of that on other teams that i see
Thanks for an incredibly irrelevant argument. I guess Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neil and Scott Brosius are among the all-time greats too, right? Of course not.

Come on man... don't come in here with that weak stuff.
#39 | 1941 days ago

FYI, Jeter doesn't have 4 rings in 5 years. He has 4 rings in 15 years. If you're going to talk about the years he won, don't forget all the other years, too.
#40 | 1941 days ago

100%InjuryRate wrote:
If you want more valid arguments, read this argument by Rob Neyer. Also this UPENN study on Jeter. Conclusion, he's the worst shortstop in the game, according to multiple people.

The Neyer is particularly interesting.
checked out the report's you mentioned, interesting it seems everything is maybe's and could be's but concrete facts none

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends