Asked by: marcus_nyce (+)
Answers Created: 6192
Miscellaneous



Last Answer: KSbengals99 (+)
Answers: 5938
Cincinnati Bengals




« Locker Room Polls
10
Best of 2012: Outstanding Achievement in the Field of 'Meh'
With TV generally taking over the drama genre, it's been a rough couple of years (maybe a decade) since we've had some really good movies which dominated the water cooler talk. Having said that, there are always some good or great ones every year, I guess? Right? There has to be.

So the question is, what was the best movie(s) of 2012? Is it your Oscar winner? Should it be? Will it be?



Got it? Good... and ACTION!
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Closes 735737 days | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Teams:  Movies
This one
That one
I'm just going to mock anything with Taylor Kitsch in it
Beans is going long, start playing him off
10

(Caution -- you will be unable to change your answer.)


 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 484 days ago

I just looked at a list with every movie released in 2012 and not one movie really stood out for me.

My top pick is God Bless America which I think went straight to video, followed by The Dark Knight Rises.

Sad year for movies.
Enter the poll to see my answer
  
37 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 484 days ago

I just looked at a list with every movie released in 2012 and not one movie really stood out for me.

My top pick is God Bless America which I think went straight to video, followed by The Dark Knight Rises.

Sad year for movies.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#2 | 484 days ago

cant say anyone really stood out this year - will read further commenst and see what's out there
#3 | 484 days ago

(Edited by The_Real_Stoney)
From what I saw:
Argo
Moonrise Kingdom
Headhunters
The Master
The Invisible War
Looper
Lincoln
Skyfall
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Intouchables
The Avengers
The Cabin in the Woods

From what I've heard and yet to see:
Seven Psychopaths
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Life of Pi
Zero Dark Thirty


My oscar winner would be Argo, but I've heard Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty are pretty fantastic
#4 | 484 days ago

Not sure about Oscar performances, but I enjoyed the super hero movies that came out.  Avengers.  Amazing Spiderman (an interesting reboot)  , and Dark Knight Rises  (not as good as Dark Knight IMO, but done fairly well.)

I also enjoyed Here Comes the Boom.  (Probably due to fact that I am supporting a music program at our school.)   (Well, that and Salma Hayek.)

A coworker was impressed with Life of Pi.

Can't say much for any other movie.
#5 | 484 days ago

I would say Hunger Games was my favorite.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#6 | 484 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
From what I saw:
Argo
Moonrise Kingdom
Headhunters
The Master
The Invisible War
Looper
Lincoln
Skyfall
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Intouchables
The Avengers
The Cabin in the Woods

From what I've heard and yet to see:
Seven Psychopaths
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Life of Pi
Zero Dark Thirty


My oscar winner would be Argo, but I've heard Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty are pretty fantastic
Show off. 


(But I agree on your list of 1,000  ((The Cabin in the Woods nod made me snort)) and I'd like to add to the yet to see list...........Les Miserables)
Enter the poll to see my answer
#7 | 484 days ago

(Edited by AlwaysSunshine)
Loved Moonrise Kingdom, The Avengers, Hunger Games, The Dark Knight Rises, and Lincoln.

I will be seeing The Hobbit this weekend since I have a h**d*n for anything Peter Jackson is involved in, and it's Tolkien, so there's that.
#8 | 484 days ago

didn't go to the movies this year....may see Lincoln or the Bond film
Enter the poll to see my answer
#9 | 484 days ago

I only saw Moonrise Kingdom and Lincoln this year, so they win by default.

Also, for those that complain that the Oscars don't nominate movies people have seen, I will point out that if they just nominated the top 10 box office hits for Best Picture, the nominees would be:

The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hunger Games
Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2
Skyfall
The Amazing Spider Man
Brave
Ted
Madagascar 3
The Lorax

With the possible exception of The Dark Knight Rises, do any of those really in the mix for best movies of the year?

Also, how the hell did The Avengers gross $623 million???!
#10 | 484 days ago

I didn't see too many movies, so, my vote is for The Intouchables.  yes
Enter the poll to see my answer
#11 | 484 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
I only saw Moonrise Kingdom and Lincoln this year, so they win by default.

Also, for those that complain that the Oscars don't nominate movies people have seen, I will point out that if they just nominated the top 10 box office hits for Best Picture, the nominees would be:

The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hunger Games
Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2
Skyfall
The Amazing Spider Man
Brave
Ted
Madagascar 3
The Lorax

With the possible exception of The Dark Knight Rises, do any of those really in the mix for best movies of the year?

Also, how the hell did The Avengers gross $623 million???!
I may have watched it more than once. 

(so that might be the reason I'm broke.)
#12 | 483 days ago

The Hunger Games was probably one of my favorites too, though I read the book first and you know how that always is. I absolutely loved the Avengers as well. And Brave. I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises or The Amazing Spider Man, but I think I telepathically heard Santa say he was leaving both of those in my husband's stocking, so I'm sure I will be seeing them soon.
#13 | 483 days ago

I forgot about Brave.  Who couldn't love Merida?
#14 | 483 days ago

sidenote: I hate when I movie comes out on christmas and is nominated for anything that same year. The "year" needs to be set up differently, fiscally or something. How is The Miserables coming out on 12/25 but nominated for 4 golden globes already? No, it should be nominated for nothing until it is viewed by the american masses. ugh.

Anyway, based on the list, I didn't even attempt to see any movies, really. It's awful.
So, I vote for the ones I've seen: The Avengers, Lawless, and Cabin in the Woods. I enjoyed them all.  Honorable Mention: The Bourne Legacy.
I'd really give the Oscars to Beauty and the Beast 3D and Finding Nemo 3D though because they are the most solid on the entire list.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#15 | 483 days ago

Oddfool wrote:
I may have watched it more than once. 

(so that might be the reason I'm broke.)
You aren't the only one :)
Enter the poll to see my answer
#16 | 483 days ago

i don't think i saw any of the new...oh wait. yes i did. i saw that 9/11 movie about the little boy and his tom hanks. i am aching to see life of pi. i have no clue what the story is, but the cinematography in just the commercials i've seen make my toes curl. it'll get all the oscars, i can tell. 
#17 | 483 days ago

The Dark Knight Rises
Skyfall
Lincoln
Haywire
The Avengers
Men in Black III
Ted
The Bourne Legacy
The Expendables 2
Lawless
Taken 2
Argo
Knuckleball.....
http://youtu.be/jnX37Msqnlo
Enter the poll to see my answer
#18 | 483 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
I only saw Moonrise Kingdom and Lincoln this year, so they win by default.

Also, for those that complain that the Oscars don't nominate movies people have seen, I will point out that if they just nominated the top 10 box office hits for Best Picture, the nominees would be:

The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hunger Games
Twilight: Breaking Dawn 2
Skyfall
The Amazing Spider Man
Brave
Ted
Madagascar 3
The Lorax

With the possible exception of The Dark Knight Rises, do any of those really in the mix for best movies of the year?

Also, how the hell did The Avengers gross $623 million???!
How the hell did Ted end up in the top 10? They built a movie around 12-15 good jokes. It's like he had all these gags he couldn't get on TV over the years, so be just stuck them all in one flick. 
Enter the poll to see my answer
#19 | 483 days ago

I was actually disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises.. You have an AMAZING cast, Bale, Oldman, Hathaway, Hardy, Cotillard, Levitt and Matthew Modine, but it kind of missed the mark.  ALthough I did love Marion Cotillard in the last 15 minutes

The Hunger Games was another one I was disappointed in.  I did read the books, which was probably my rationale here.  I thought the most powerful and important parts of the book were glossed over in an effort to make a product that would play to a wider audience.  It was cowardice and turned what could have been a great movie into another run of the mill popcorn flick

The Amazing Spiderman was what it was.. Another superhero movie for kids.. The only thing that really stood out was how awful Martin Sheen was.  At one point I was concerned he was on the verge of a stroke

If you need a quick and honest review on a movie, let me know and I shall give it to you
#20 | 483 days ago

(Edited by kobe_lova)
The_Real_Stoney wrote:
I was actually disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises.. You have an AMAZING cast, Bale, Oldman, Hathaway, Hardy, Cotillard, Levitt and Matthew Modine, but it kind of missed the mark.  ALthough I did love Marion Cotillard in the last 15 minutes

The Hunger Games was another one I was disappointed in.  I did read the books, which was probably my rationale here.  I thought the most powerful and important parts of the book were glossed over in an effort to make a product that would play to a wider audience.  It was cowardice and turned what could have been a great movie into another run of the mill popcorn flick

The Amazing Spiderman was what it was.. Another superhero movie for kids.. The only thing that really stood out was how awful Martin Sheen was.  At one point I was concerned he was on the verge of a stroke

If you need a quick and honest review on a movie, let me know and I shall give it to you
Oh! I watched Inception up until they got to Tom Hardy because I seriously couldn't remember him until that moment.. I think I may love him.

Oh, and I just learned that it was him in that movie where brothers fight... and boy looks good with a shirt off.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#21 | 483 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
Oh! I watched Inception up until they got to Tom Hardy because I seriously couldn't remember him until that moment.. I think I may love him.

Oh, and I just learned that it was him in that movie where brothers fight... and boy looks good with a shirt off.
Go watch Bronson
#22 | 483 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
Go watch Bronson
Mmmkay. If it's streaming, I shall add.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#23 | 483 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
Mmmkay. If it's streaming, I shall add.
It is
#24 | 483 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
It is
moist
Enter the poll to see my answer
#25 | 483 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
I was actually disappointed with The Dark Knight Rises.. You have an AMAZING cast, Bale, Oldman, Hathaway, Hardy, Cotillard, Levitt and Matthew Modine, but it kind of missed the mark.  ALthough I did love Marion Cotillard in the last 15 minutes

The Hunger Games was another one I was disappointed in.  I did read the books, which was probably my rationale here.  I thought the most powerful and important parts of the book were glossed over in an effort to make a product that would play to a wider audience.  It was cowardice and turned what could have been a great movie into another run of the mill popcorn flick

The Amazing Spiderman was what it was.. Another superhero movie for kids.. The only thing that really stood out was how awful Martin Sheen was.  At one point I was concerned he was on the verge of a stroke

If you need a quick and honest review on a movie, let me know and I shall give it to you
I went back and watched Dark Knight again and I've kinda become an apologist after feeling the EXACT same way you do. Maybe even more let down at first? Second time around I really thought Levitt, Hathaway and Cotiliard were pretty fantastic even if the movie is one big WTF plot cluster eff.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#26 | 483 days ago

marcus_nyce wrote:
I went back and watched Dark Knight again and I've kinda become an apologist after feeling the EXACT same way you do. Maybe even more let down at first? Second time around I really thought Levitt, Hathaway and Cotiliard were pretty fantastic even if the movie is one big WTF plot cluster eff.
I just watched it for the first time the other day. I do agree with Joe Levitt.. Can I call him Joe? Anyway, I liked what he did with what he had to work with
I will be watching again soon
#27 | 483 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
I just watched it for the first time the other day. I do agree with Joe Levitt.. Can I call him Joe? Anyway, I liked what he did with what he had to work with
I will be watching again soon
I felt that way about Hathaway. The cat (pardon the pun) and mouse thing with Bale was damn good. I was never really a fan of hers until this flick.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#28 | 483 days ago

marcus_nyce wrote:
I felt that way about Hathaway. The cat (pardon the pun) and mouse thing with Bale was damn good. I was never really a fan of hers until this flick.
Agreed.  I've actually liked Anne Hathaway in a lot of stuff, especially One Day and Love and Other Drugs.  I thought the awfulness of the way Rachel Getting Married was either shot or cut took away from her performance in that too
#29 | 483 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
Agreed.  I've actually liked Anne Hathaway in a lot of stuff, especially One Day and Love and Other Drugs.  I thought the awfulness of the way Rachel Getting Married was either shot or cut took away from her performance in that too
oh forgot about Love & other drugs. good call.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#30 | 483 days ago

Im gonna throw Detachment in as the best movie ive seen this year.
#31 | 483 days ago

I liked Hathaway best in Ella Enchanted and Rio myself.
Enter the poll to see my answer
#32 | 483 days ago

Jason_ wrote:
Im gonna throw Detachment in as the best movie ive seen this year.
Good call, completely forgot about that and I just watched it like 3 weeks ago
#33 | 483 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
Good call, completely forgot about that and I just watched it like 3 weeks ago
Just added Beasts of the Southern Wild to my netflix queue.  I have a bad feeling we're going to see a lot of mainstream stuff at the oscars this year.  Stuff like f**king Les Miserables and Lincoln are going to clean up in a relatively weak year.
#34 | 483 days ago

Jason_ wrote:
Im gonna throw Detachment in as the best movie ive seen this year.
It's on my list, I've only heard great things and I like Brody. Maybe this year wasn't as craptacular as I thought?
Enter the poll to see my answer
#35 | 483 days ago

 me and the boys enjoyed this
Enter the poll to see my answer
#36 | 483 days ago

Jason_ wrote:
Just added Beasts of the Southern Wild to my netflix queue.  I have a bad feeling we're going to see a lot of mainstream stuff at the oscars this year.  Stuff like f**king Les Miserables and Lincoln are going to clean up in a relatively weak year.
There was a fair amount of stuff that was good, bordering on really good.. But I can't think of a lot of individual acting performances where I was impressed outside of maybe Jaquin Phoenix in The Master
#37 | 483 days ago

Seems to be a down year for movies...

I didn't see a ton of movies...  Many are still in my Netflix cue.

But the best I saw this year was Argo.

I really wanted to like Lincoln.  But while the acting was superb and was beautifully shot, it wasn't all that interesting a movie.

I liked Skyfall but wasn't enamored with it.  It just wasn't as good as Casino Royale

The Avengers was fun and well made. 
The Dark Knight Rises was good, but not NEARLY as good as The Dark Knight.

So those five would top my list.  Still looking forward to seeing Zero Dark Thirty.  That seems to be getting good ink.  I'd like to see if it is worth the praise...


Disappointments abounded this year however...

The Amazing Spider-Man was a tremendous disappointment.  And earlier this week was completely underwhelmed by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends