Skip to Next Poll »
6
Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
| Closed on 07/27/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | MLB | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
35 Fans 
80%a. Yes
20%b. No

  
25 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1809 days ago
Pick (+)

I think he should.  He did make a mistake but, he was an amazing natural ballplayer, whose true grit and passion only made him better.
Yes  
#2 | 1809 days ago

imho: i think he should. i'm not saying what he did was right. but no worse then Bonds and Mcquire and many others that have messed up. no one can deny that he was one of the greatest to play the game
#3 | 1808 days ago

This is a loaded question right here.....it's kind of like a catch 22.  Pete Rose was a baseball machine. He gambled but compared to what some of the other players have done and some of the NFL players, it was nothing. The NFL has let Vick come back to play. I think Pete has suffered for his mistake and should be allowed in the Hall of Fame. The question is, what are they going to do to with the players of today who were busted for steroids, are they going into the Hall of Fame, I think that's going to be a determining factor for Pete. I didn't answer yes or no because like I said, this is a real touchy subject. I guess time will tell and we'll just have to wait to see what happens.
#4 | 1808 days ago

For what he did as a player, he should be in  there.  But he should still be banned from baseball for betting on it.
Yes  
#5 | 1808 days ago

 He disgraced the game by betting on it while he was a manager.

NO F'ING WAY SHOULD HE EVER SO MUCH AS SNIFF THE HOF FOR THAT REASON ALONE
No  
#6 | 1808 days ago

I say put him in. Bud Selig has done MUCH more to ruin baseball than Pete ever did by betting on his own team.
Yes  
#7 | 1808 days ago

 Moopin' Guys 
Yes  
#8 | 1808 days ago
BDV4U (+)

PJ88Fan wrote:
This is a loaded question right here.....it's kind of like a catch 22.  Pete Rose was a baseball machine. He gambled but compared to what some of the other players have done and some of the NFL players, it was nothing. The NFL has let Vick come back to play. I think Pete has suffered for his mistake and should be allowed in the Hall of Fame. The question is, what are they going to do to with the players of today who were busted for steroids, are they going into the Hall of Fame, I think that's going to be a determining factor for Pete. I didn't answer yes or no because like I said, this is a real touchy subject. I guess time will tell and we'll just have to wait to see what happens.
I could possibly find a way to agree with you, but for one glaring thing - HE POKER-FACED LIED ABOUT IT FOR YEARS UNTIL HE FIGURED OUT HOW MUCH MONEY HE WOULD MAKE ADMITTING IT IN A BOOK!

Had he come clean before that time, or in some self-humbling way, you can make the argument he did his time and let him in. But to do it just to make a quick buck from book sales, was a slimy and shameful move.

The accomplishments go in - the ex-con stays out!
No  
#9 | 1808 days ago

BDV4U wrote:
I could possibly find a way to agree with you, but for one glaring thing - HE POKER-FACED LIED ABOUT IT FOR YEARS UNTIL HE FIGURED OUT HOW MUCH MONEY HE WOULD MAKE ADMITTING IT IN A BOOK!

Had he come clean before that time, or in some self-humbling way, you can make the argument he did his time and let him in. But to do it just to make a quick buck from book sales, was a slimy and shameful move.

The accomplishments go in - the ex-con stays out!
Exactly, that's what I was getting at...what he did was wrong and there's no way around that.  That's why I said it's a catch 22...his accomplishments in baseball are undoubtedly outstanding...that's the hard part. You have a very valid answer about his record going in and him not.  I'll have to agree with you on this one. Good call. 
#10 | 1808 days ago

yes for the way he played the game. he played all out all the time
Yes  
#11 | 1808 days ago

yes for the way he played the game. he was one of the best the game has ever seen
Yes  
#12 | 1808 days ago

When Bud is gone Pete will go in! 
Yes  
#13 | 1808 days ago
jasonwrites (+)

No. He violated baseball's Prime Directive. You cannot bet on any games, but doubly so not on your own team's games. There are prominent signs forbidding it in every clubhouse. And, as others had said, there may have been an opportunity for reconciliation if he were honest and contrite about it. But he wasn't. He denied it for years and only begrudgingly and incompletely came clean when he stood to profit from doing so. For a long time I thought it was inexcusable to keep the game's all-time hits leader out of the Hall of Fame. But the more I think about it and look at it objectively, no, a lifetime ban is just that.
No  
#14 | 1806 days ago

I think he should be. He is in the history of baseball. And I think his life time ban was to stiff a punishment. Today players ruin their reputations do drugs,drink,rob, and get arrested. And face a punishment that doesn't match the crime. Baseball profits form Pete Rose even in his ban for life. So keep the ban and add him to the Hall of Fame based on his contributions to baseball. Isn't that what its all about in the first place.
Yes  
#15 | 1806 days ago

A list of notable Hall of Famers with shady pasts.  Tris Speaker and Rogers Hornsby were both card carrying members of the Ku Klux Klan, Ty Cobb murdered a man as well as commited numerous awful acts against others not to mention that Cobb and Speaker were both bet on baseball. It should be noted that then Commioner Landis investigated and found both innocent but it should also be noted that Landis had no intention of putting a stain on the game or two of its greatest players. Both are in the hall of fame.  Rose bet on baseball we all know it but he deserves to take his rightful place in Cooperstown.

Yes  
#16 | 1805 days ago
BDV4U (+)

nortonsfury wrote:

A list of notable Hall of Famers with shady pasts.  Tris Speaker and Rogers Hornsby were both card carrying members of the Ku Klux Klan, Ty Cobb murdered a man as well as commited numerous awful acts against others not to mention that Cobb and Speaker were both bet on baseball. It should be noted that then Commioner Landis investigated and found both innocent but it should also be noted that Landis had no intention of putting a stain on the game or two of its greatest players. Both are in the hall of fame.  Rose bet on baseball we all know it but he deserves to take his rightful place in Cooperstown.

This goes back to the whole Shoeless Joe Jackson argument. Statically, Jackson had a great 1919 World Series, proving he didn't throw any games, yet he was still banned from baseball - still claiming his innocence.

It begs the question, "Who Deserves To Be In?" A player implemented in game-fixing, but lacks evidence; or a player/manager caught red-handed gambling on the game, to which he had little-to-no influence over (after all, he allegedly bet FOR the Reds, not against them)? Ironic how the Cincinnati Reds (Chicago's opponent in 1919) are tied to the two worse baseball scandals of all-time!
No  
#17 | 1804 days ago

BDV4U wrote:
This goes back to the whole Shoeless Joe Jackson argument. Statically, Jackson had a great 1919 World Series, proving he didn't throw any games, yet he was still banned from baseball - still claiming his innocence.

It begs the question, "Who Deserves To Be In?" A player implemented in game-fixing, but lacks evidence; or a player/manager caught red-handed gambling on the game, to which he had little-to-no influence over (after all, he allegedly bet FOR the Reds, not against them)? Ironic how the Cincinnati Reds (Chicago's opponent in 1919) are tied to the two worse baseball scandals of all-time!
Shoeless Joe is a guy that got a bad rap.  Years after the fact the other seven White Sox players had said that Jackson had nothing to do with it.   Even though while on the stand he had been coerced to admit to a role in the scandal.  He spent the last 30 years of his life proclaiming his innocence and the house of representatives even set forth a motion to have him reinstated.  Bud Selig has always said his case is under review.  Bud is not ever going to reinstate anyone.  He's a coward.  

While Rose did bet on baseball and then lied and said he didn't only to later write in a book that he had I don't think it should bar him from the hall of fame.  Rose's ban came with the option to apply for reinstatement a year later.  By the time that year had rolled around the commissioner who had implemented the ban was no longer in charge.  Who knows how he would have ruled.  Though in statements Vincent has said he believes that Rose belongs in the hall.  

In short Shoeless Joe is a hall of fame player and should take his rightful place in Cooperstown, as should Pete Rose.  Not after he dies, but while he is alive and able to enjoy the moment.  If fans got to make the decision I think Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe would be in the hall, but as long as Selig is running things it will never change.
Yes  
#18 | 1804 days ago

Pete Rose should be in as well as Canseco
Yes  
#19 | 1804 days ago
BDV4U (+)

GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!
You mean Off-the-top-of-my-head-for-a-homerun Canseco, or his brother Ozzie?!? Either way, you're taking something more than performance-enhancing drugs. LOL
No  
#20 | 1801 days ago

Kane doesn't think so
Yes  
#21 | 1800 days ago
BDV4U (+)

redsox1002003 wrote:
Kane doesn't think so
Further proof of how lame all this is - the local minor league hockey team held a ceremony a few years back to retire the #14 in his honor! Can you imagine if he actually DID play hockey?!? LOL
No  
#22 | 1757 days ago

I would say yes until the juice issue >
 i would love to see thos records deleted
#23 | 1751 days ago

Pete Rose should not only never be inducted into it, he shouldnt even be allowed inside it! Hes a piece of scum. He bets on baseball, knowing that it is against the rules, then he lied about it for 20 years, while knowing that people were defending him, THEN to mae it even worse, when he does admit it, he uses it to sell a freaking book and act all humble just to get to back in, not because he has any actual  remorse whatsoever.
And the people who say the steriods use is worse......that is nonsense. There is no evidence that steriod use has ever actually impacted a single baseball game, while someone betting on baseball, especially if he is a manager is putting himself in the position of tampering with the actual results of a game, which threatens the very heart of the integrity of baseball.  At the very worst, a steriods user is only trying give himself an edge, but you still actually have to hit the ball.  I am more uncomfortable with a guy betting on baseball than I am with a guy taking steroids.
Plus, I think Pete Rose is a despicable human being who belongs on the WWE circuit with Jose Canseco, another despicable human being.

No  
#24 | 1552 days ago

I personally never liked him as a player -- that being said, his numbers speak for themself and so does his gambling.  Joe Jackson hasn't been inducted and Pete Rose should never be inducted -- he bet for and against his own team  .. WTF   no way no how EVER
No  
#25 | 1549 days ago

mikecubbie69 wrote:

Pete Rose should not only never be inducted into it, he shouldnt even be allowed inside it! Hes a piece of scum. He bets on baseball, knowing that it is against the rules, then he lied about it for 20 years, while knowing that people were defending him, THEN to mae it even worse, when he does admit it, he uses it to sell a freaking book and act all humble just to get to back in, not because he has any actual  remorse whatsoever.
And the people who say the steriods use is worse......that is nonsense. There is no evidence that steriod use has ever actually impacted a single baseball game, while someone betting on baseball, especially if he is a manager is putting himself in the position of tampering with the actual results of a game, which threatens the very heart of the integrity of baseball.  At the very worst, a steriods user is only trying give himself an edge, but you still actually have to hit the ball.  I am more uncomfortable with a guy betting on baseball than I am with a guy taking steroids.
Plus, I think Pete Rose is a despicable human being who belongs on the WWE circuit with Jose Canseco, another despicable human being.

 A+
No  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
MLB**Chasing Joe D**The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/24**World Series Game 3**
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, KC, SF | 3 questions asked 10/19/14
42 predictions | 5 comments | Last by cubfanbudman | 15 hours left
MLB**Chasing Joe D**The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/26**World Series Game 5**
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, KC, SF | 3 questions asked Yesterday
24 predictions | Last by Marquise
MLB**Chasing Joe D**The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/25**World Series Game 4**
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, KC, SF | 3 questions asked 10/19/14
36 predictions | 1 comment | Last by Dream_Machine
Who are your heroes among zeroes (0/00)?
Asked by hclcdestin | MLB, FanIQ | 3 questions asked 08/03/14
18 opinions | 3 comments | Last by huskerdoug2009
Who's #1 among number ones?
Asked by hclcdestin | MLB | 3 questions asked 08/04/14
18 opinions | 1 comment | Last by LACavsFan