Skip to Next Poll »
17
America's team COWBOYS or COLTS?
Are the Dallas Cowboys still America's team or have the Indianapolis Colts taken that title?
| Closed on 12/12/09 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | NFL, Indianapolis Colts, Dallas Cowboys | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
95 Fans 
46%a. Indianapolis Colts
54%b. Dallas Cowboys

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 1803 days ago
vindog (+)

LOL- this is an absolutely STUPID POLL!   For one, the "Title" Americas Team isn't a Title at all- it's a freaking nickname!  And for two, why would the Colts have taken the Title if it was a freaking title to begin with?  For Gods sake they have won 1 Super Bowl since Super Bowl V!!   If ANY TEAM were to ever be considered as the "New Americas Team"- it sure would NOT be the Colts!  LOL   Grow up Dude!
Dallas Cowboys  
  
104 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1803 days ago
vindog (+)

LOL- this is an absolutely STUPID POLL!   For one, the "Title" Americas Team isn't a Title at all- it's a freaking nickname!  And for two, why would the Colts have taken the Title if it was a freaking title to begin with?  For Gods sake they have won 1 Super Bowl since Super Bowl V!!   If ANY TEAM were to ever be considered as the "New Americas Team"- it sure would NOT be the Colts!  LOL   Grow up Dude!
Dallas Cowboys  
#2 | 1803 days ago

vindog wrote:
LOL- this is an absolutely STUPID POLL!   For one, the "Title" Americas Team isn't a Title at all- it's a freaking nickname!  And for two, why would the Colts have taken the Title if it was a freaking title to begin with?  For Gods sake they have won 1 Super Bowl since Super Bowl V!!   If ANY TEAM were to ever be considered as the "New Americas Team"- it sure would NOT be the Colts!  LOL   Grow up Dude!
LOL LOL LOL LMAO LOL LOL LOL, dude you are funny i knew you would be here soon lol
Indianapolis Colts  
#3 | 1803 days ago

I say Colts Vin what about you? lol
Indianapolis Colts  
#4 | 1803 days ago

 Why does Footballs America's team have to be in middle america?  Doesn't that say something about football?

Basketballs A-Team is in the liberal west (Lakers)

Baseballs A-Team is in the Northeast (Yankees)
Dallas Cowboys  
#5 | 1803 days ago

Beaze wrote:
 Why does Footballs America's team have to be in middle america?  Doesn't that say something about football?

Basketballs A-Team is in the liberal west (Lakers)

Baseballs A-Team is in the Northeast (Yankees)
Isn't Texas in middle America?
Indianapolis Colts  
#6 | 1802 days ago

qtowndogg wrote:
Isn't Texas in middle America?
Yup.  That's what I mean.  The choices are Dallas or Indy, both in middle America.  Why can't it be like... san deigo or Philly or something.
Dallas Cowboys  
#7 | 1801 days ago

Neither team should be considered America's team. Vindog is right it is just a nickname.
Indianapolis Colts  
#8 | 1800 days ago

(Edited by solomonrichardson96)
Yes, but it is a nickname that has been since I began watching football.  It just like, who is the real air:  Or is Wilt really the stilt or big dipper or is it Russell.  There are many players and now teams who are not original.  For example, shaq was superman.  Now Howard wants to be superman.  They called Jordan, on occaision, superman.  However, the original is Kurt Rambis.  Even Jordan is not deserving of the nick name.  It belongs to someone else.  It would be the same as calling Jordan the Doctor.  Dallas has been and will always be known as America's team.  Dallas alone!!! 
Dallas Cowboys  
#9 | 1800 days ago

solomonrichardson96 wrote:
Yes, but it is a nickname that has been since I began watching football.  It just like, who is the real air:  Or is Wilt really the stilt or big dipper or is it Russell.  There are many players and now teams who are not original.  For example, shaq was superman.  Now Howard wants to be superman.  They called Jordan, on occaision, superman.  However, the original is Kurt Rambis.  Even Jordan is not deserving of the nick name.  It belongs to someone else.  It would be the same as calling Jordan the Doctor.  Dallas has been and will always be known as America's team.  Dallas alone!!! 
Is that why i got this question from ESPN.
Indianapolis Colts  
#10 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

ManningsOffense wrote:
Is that why i got this question from ESPN.
Now it makes sense! You got this question from ESPN???? LOL    The WORST sports authority in America today... hahahahahah
Dallas Cowboys  
#11 | 1800 days ago

vindog wrote:
LOL- this is an absolutely STUPID POLL!   For one, the "Title" Americas Team isn't a Title at all- it's a freaking nickname!  And for two, why would the Colts have taken the Title if it was a freaking title to begin with?  For Gods sake they have won 1 Super Bowl since Super Bowl V!!   If ANY TEAM were to ever be considered as the "New Americas Team"- it sure would NOT be the Colts!  LOL   Grow up Dude!
This is a stupid poll. What has dallas done lately? They havent won a playoff game since Christ was a corporal. Im not a fan but i think it might be the Patriots
#12 | 1800 days ago

Maybe you guys just don't understand the question, the Cowboy's were named America's team because of their fans and popularity around the country, i.e., are the Colts America's new team. get it?
Indianapolis Colts  
#13 | 1800 days ago

I say Colts
Indianapolis Colts  
#14 | 1800 days ago

vindog wrote:
Now it makes sense! You got this question from ESPN???? LOL    The WORST sports authority in America today... hahahahahah
Is that why you copied and pasted info from espn.com during our TE debate? lol
Indianapolis Colts  
#15 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
ManningsOffense wrote:
Is that why you copied and pasted info from espn.com during our TE debate? lol
Ummm, my copy and pasting was from two sportswriters from CBS SPORTS!        NOT ESPN!!!  Check your FACTS next time before you spout off!  LOL    ESPN is the FOXNews of the Sports world!  LOL   Unfair and unbalanced!    BTW, this is what I copied and pasted from:      By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
  
Dallas Cowboys  
#16 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
Sorry darling, but saying something is a stupid poll is NOT a personal attack!  Neither is telling somebody to grow up! read the COC again!  BTW, if you would have known the "history" of this argument between myself and ManningsOffense- then you would have realized that I made that comment in response to the "reasons" behind the creation of this poll. We were arguing over a period of about 3 days (back and forth) about the Colts and Cowboys and he created this poll purely to get under my skin! (hence why I used the term "grow up" as well)... Sorry if that offended another one of his fellow Colts fans- that was not the intention of my comment!    Life is too short to get into immature arguments over which team is better than which team....
Dallas Cowboys  
#17 | 1800 days ago
jasonwrites (+)

Saying this is a "stupid poll" is not a personal attack, because it's the poll being called stupid, not the person. Calling the content stupid is just expressing an opinion-- it doesn't violate the CoC.

I don't think there is an "America's Team" anymore. If you wanted to stick this moniker on any NFL team, I might have to go with the Steelers. For such a small city, their fans are EVERYWHERE. Just look how many are on this site. I wouldn't say the Colts are in that category yet but there's no question that Peyton Manning's face is ubiquitous. That certainly helps their national presence.
#18 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
ManningsOffense wrote:
Maybe you guys just don't understand the question, the Cowboy's were named America's team because of their fans and popularity around the country, i.e., are the Colts America's new team. get it?
Ummm, NO I don't get it!  Yes the Colts are popular (no doubt), but to claim they are MORE popular than the Cowboys is a falsehood!   The 3 most POPULAR NFL teams in this Country (and the WORLD) today are the Cowboys, Steelers, and Packers by far! You can check Forbes.com for that information and the sales of their team apparel and gear!  Also the Cowboys are the TOP SELLING (and RICHEST) Sports Franchise in the WORLD today (one again, check Forbes) in ALL Sports, beating ALL teams from ALL SPORTS in that category as well! And yes, they even beat the Yankees in that area!  Once again, the Colts are a VERY popular team in the Country, but they don't hold a candle to the Cowboys popularity around this Country at all!
Dallas Cowboys  
#19 | 1800 days ago

vindog wrote:
Now it makes sense! You got this question from ESPN???? LOL    The WORST sports authority in America today... hahahahahah
Exactly I agree they think they are number one on sports authority..
#20 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
http://xml.apache.org/xslt">Special Report
The Business Of Football
Edited by Kurt Badenhausen, Michael K. Ozanian and Christina Settimi , 6:00 PM ET

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The NFL is the richest sports league in the world, with the average team worth some $957 million. And the Dallas Cowboys, the most valuable team in the NFL, are now the single most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth $1.5 billion.

Pro football is also the most profitable sport on the planet (mean operating income in 2006 was $17.8 million on $204 million in revenue). Although its television ratings have slipped in the past decade, the NFL still beats the daylights out of other prime-time programming, including every other sport. Nearly three out of every four Americans watched an NFL game on television last season. More >

NFL Team Values

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Washington Redskins
3. New England Patriots
4. Houston Texans
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Denver Broncos
7. Chicago Bears
8. New York Giants
9. Cleveland Browns
10. New York Jets
11. Baltimore Ravens
12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13. Kansas City Chiefs
14. Carolina Panthers
15. Miami Dolphins
16. Pittsburgh Steelers

 
  17. Green Bay Packers
18. Tennessee Titans
19. Seattle Seahawks
20. Cincinnati Bengals
21. Indianapolis Colts
22. St Louis Rams
23. Arizona Cardinals
24. Detroit Lions
25. New Orleans Saints
26. San Diego Chargers
27. Buffalo Bills
28. Oakland Raiders
29. Jacksonville Jaguars
30. San Francisco 49ers
31. Atlanta Falcons
32. Minnesota Vikings
  If you know anything about business, then you would understand that with WORTH comes popularity! You can't be the richest Sports Franchise in the World without being the most popular as well- just a thought!
Dallas Cowboys  
#21 | 1800 days ago

Wow!  Houston at  #4....I'm impressed!  Also very surprised to see the Vikes at  #32.  Was this list compiled before Favre signed with Minnesota?
Dallas Cowboys  
#22 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

Dubs wrote:
Wow!  Houston at  #4....I'm impressed!  Also very surprised to see the Vikes at  #32.  Was this list compiled before Favre signed with Minnesota?
The list was published in October, 2009!
Dallas Cowboys  
#23 | 1800 days ago

Awesome!
Dallas Cowboys  
#24 | 1800 days ago

vindog wrote:
Special Report
The Business Of Football
Edited by Kurt Badenhausen, Michael K. Ozanian and Christina Settimi , 6:00 PM ET

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The NFL is the richest sports league in the world, with the average team worth some $957 million. And the Dallas Cowboys, the most valuable team in the NFL, are now the single most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth $1.5 billion.

Pro football is also the most profitable sport on the planet (mean operating income in 2006 was $17.8 million on $204 million in revenue). Although its television ratings have slipped in the past decade, the NFL still beats the daylights out of other prime-time programming, including every other sport. Nearly three out of every four Americans watched an NFL game on television last season. More >

NFL Team Values

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Washington Redskins
3. New England Patriots
4. Houston Texans
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Denver Broncos
7. Chicago Bears
8. New York Giants
9. Cleveland Browns
10. New York Jets
11. Baltimore Ravens
12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13. Kansas City Chiefs
14. Carolina Panthers
15. Miami Dolphins
16. Pittsburgh Steelers

 
  17. Green Bay Packers
18. Tennessee Titans
19. Seattle Seahawks
20. Cincinnati Bengals
21. Indianapolis Colts
22. St Louis Rams
23. Arizona Cardinals
24. Detroit Lions
25. New Orleans Saints
26. San Diego Chargers
27. Buffalo Bills
28. Oakland Raiders
29. Jacksonville Jaguars
30. San Francisco 49ers
31. Atlanta Falcons
32. Minnesota Vikings
  If you know anything about business, then you would understand that with WORTH comes popularity! You can't be the richest Sports Franchise in the World without being the most popular as well- just a thought!
LMAO dude you are sooo serious take it easy, its just a poll, if you feel like no, then check no, but Outta 24 fans I see 50% think yes.
Oh and BTW didn't i tell you about GB's pass defense?
Indianapolis Colts  
#25 | 1800 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
ManningsOffense wrote:
LMAO dude you are sooo serious take it easy, its just a poll, if you feel like no, then check no, but Outta 24 fans I see 50% think yes.
Oh and BTW didn't i tell you about GB's pass defense?
Well considering that 1/3 of the votes came from COLTS Fans, 1/3 from COWBOYS fans, and the other 1/3 from people who's RIVALS are the Cowboys (or self- proclaimed Cowboys HATERS!) - I would expect nothing more!  LOL     BTW, it's not that I am "sooo serious" at all- it's because YOU claim that YOU KNOW all the FACTS, when you haven't supported ONE of your "claims" with any facts yet-  I can however support my claims with them!  Just an observation.....!
Dallas Cowboys  
#26 | 1800 days ago

vindog wrote:
Well considering that 1/3 of the votes came from COLTS Fans, 1/3 from COWBOYS fans, and the other 1/3 from people who's RIVALS are the Cowboys (or self- proclaimed Cowboys HATERS!) - I would expect nothing more!  LOL     BTW, it's not that I am "sooo serious" at all- it's because YOU claim that YOU KNOW all the FACTS, when you haven't supported ONE of your "claims" with any facts yet-  I can however support my claims with them!  Just an observation.....!
Man what are you talking about, all you do is talk off the wall, I'm talking facts and 2day backs that up. Green Bay's DBs shut down Romo and Colts beat Pats!!!!
Indianapolis Colts  
#27 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

ManningsOffense wrote:
Man what are you talking about, all you do is talk off the wall, I'm talking facts and 2day backs that up. Green Bay's DBs shut down Romo and Colts beat Pats!!!!
So that "FACT" makes the Colts Americas team now? LOL
Dallas Cowboys  
#28 | 1799 days ago

Beaze wrote:
 Why does Footballs America's team have to be in middle america?  Doesn't that say something about football?

Basketballs A-Team is in the liberal west (Lakers)

Baseballs A-Team is in the Northeast (Yankees)
Celtics they are coming bavk
Dallas Cowboys  
#29 | 1799 days ago

The Cowboys are America's team and it's not really debatable.  They've had the moniker forever and although they haven't won a playoff game in ages, they are still the most popular team in the land. 
Dallas Cowboys  
#30 | 1799 days ago

(Edited by zzj000)
vindog wrote:
LOL- this is an absolutely STUPID POLL!   For one, the "Title" Americas Team isn't a Title at all- it's a freaking nickname!  And for two, why would the Colts have taken the Title if it was a freaking title to begin with?  For Gods sake they have won 1 Super Bowl since Super Bowl V!!   If ANY TEAM were to ever be considered as the "New Americas Team"- it sure would NOT be the Colts!  LOL   Grow up Dude!
AMEN Vinnie. One reason I hate the Cowboys soooo bad is that DAMN nickname. It would irritate me beyond belief if the Colts or any of their fans started referring to Indianapolis as America's Team.

Now as for this weekends games........ uhhhhh Vinnie....... Cowboys lose, Eagles lose, Colts win. Now what was it you were saying last week?
#31 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

zzj000 wrote:
AMEN Vinnie. One reason I hate the Cowboys soooo bad is that DAMN nickname. It would irritate me beyond belief if the Colts or any of their fans started referring to Indianapolis as America's Team.

Now as for this weekends games........ uhhhhh Vinnie....... Cowboys lose, Eagles lose, Colts win. Now what was it you were saying last week?
My Cowboys laid an egg in Green Bay, Philly couldn't overcome the Chargers big lead, and the Colts beat the Patriots (with the help of a homegrown GREAT spot by the Refs and a HORRIBLE decision by BeliCHEAT- LOL)!  Congrats to the Colts! I really have no excuses for my Boys- they played like crap!
Dallas Cowboys  
#32 | 1799 days ago

vindog wrote:
LOL- this is an absolutely STUPID POLL!   For one, the "Title" Americas Team isn't a Title at all- it's a freaking nickname!  And for two, why would the Colts have taken the Title if it was a freaking title to begin with?  For Gods sake they have won 1 Super Bowl since Super Bowl V!!   If ANY TEAM were to ever be considered as the "New Americas Team"- it sure would NOT be the Colts!  LOL   Grow up Dude!
 exactly! No team is America's team but the cowboys were originally called that and no one can TAKE a nickname (it's not a title) even if the nickname doesn't even match with the team. 
Dallas Cowboys  
#33 | 1799 days ago

rileysaldutti wrote:
 exactly! No team is America's team but the cowboys were originally called that and no one can TAKE a nickname (it's not a title) even if the nickname doesn't even match with the team. 
OMG when did I ask If the Colts took their nickname (those are the word of Vin Dog, not me)?  Look, go see why the Cowboys are called America's team, then reread my question, then delete your mislead comment.
Indianapolis Colts  
#34 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
ManningsOffense wrote:
OMG when did I ask If the Colts took their nickname (those are the word of Vin Dog, not me)?  Look, go see why the Cowboys are called America's team, then reread my question, then delete your mislead comment.
Ummm, I NEVER said the Colts took the nickname at all!  Don't bring me into your petty little argument please!  In Fact, it was you who CREATED this poll and asked this question:             America's team COWBOYS or COLTS?
Are the Dallas Cowboys still America's team or have the Indianapolis Colts taken that title?        So OBVIOUSLY you are trying to suggest that the Colts SHOULD be called "Americas Team" and NOT the Cowboys - which in FACT is the Cowboys Nickname and HAS BEEN since WAAAAYYYYYY before you were born!     DEAL WITH IT!   Or better yet, how about being a little more CREATIVE and come up with YOUR OWN NICKNAME for the Colts!  Or is that asking too much??? LOL
Dallas Cowboys  
#35 | 1799 days ago

vindog wrote:
Ummm, I NEVER said the Colts took the nickname at all!  Don't bring me into your petty little argument please!  In Fact, it was you who CREATED this poll and asked this question:             America's team COWBOYS or COLTS?
Are the Dallas Cowboys still America's team or have the Indianapolis Colts taken that title?        So OBVIOUSLY you are trying to suggest that the Colts SHOULD be called "Americas Team" and NOT the Cowboys - which in FACT is the Cowboys Nickname and HAS BEEN since WAAAAYYYYYY before you were born!     DEAL WITH IT!   Or better yet, how about being a little more CREATIVE and come up with YOUR OWN NICKNAME for the Colts!  Or is that asking too much??? LOL
Your not serious are you, once again, who said nickname but you. i.e. If your teams nickname was Champion, my team could still be a champion without being call Champion as a nickname, OK, you get it. The Cowboys nickname is America's team but as you saw on faniq all week and last night, the Indianapolis Colts are America's team (more then a nickname) OK
Indianapolis Colts  
#36 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

ManningsOffense wrote:
Your not serious are you, once again, who said nickname but you. i.e. If your teams nickname was Champion, my team could still be a champion without being call Champion as a nickname, OK, you get it. The Cowboys nickname is America's team but as you saw on faniq all week and last night, the Indianapolis Colts are America's team (more then a nickname) OK

America's Team

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 
Jump to: navigation, search
The Dallas Cowboys are commonly referred to as America's Team

The term America's Team is a popular nickname in American sports that most often refers to the Dallas Cowboys of the National Football League.[1] The nickname originated with the team's 1978 highlight film, where the narrator opens with the following introduction:

They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team."[2]

The term is recognized and often used by media outlets, including ESPN,[3] Yahoo!,[4] HBO Sports,[5] and Sports Illustrated.[6]

On their Top 10 show, the NFL Network named the Dallas Cowboys' "America's Team" as the #1 nickname in NFL history                       DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!

Dallas Cowboys  
#37 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

BTW,  the Cowboys are leading in your OWN little poll    58%  to  42 % NOW!  So what does your OWN poll suggest?? HMMMMMM  LOL

Dallas Cowboys  
#38 | 1799 days ago

OK did you even read my last comment?  I'm beginning to think your a little bit slow. How are you gonna criticize me for getting info from espn.com and you get info from Wikipedia? lol get real, If you still don't understand that I'm not claiming that nickname, then i just can't help you understand
Indianapolis Colts  
#39 | 1799 days ago

BTW the AFC South is way better then the NFC East and you know it
Indianapolis Colts  
#40 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
ManningsOffense wrote:
Your not serious are you, once again, who said nickname but you. i.e. If your teams nickname was Champion, my team could still be a champion without being call Champion as a nickname, OK, you get it. The Cowboys nickname is America's team but as you saw on faniq all week and last night, the Indianapolis Colts are America's team (more then a nickname) OK

***** comment deleted by Vindog******     Reason:  Continuing an argument of a completely irrelevant and STUPID poll question!

Dallas Cowboys  
#41 | 1799 days ago

Nobody hates the Cowboys more than me, and I really like Manning and the Colts. But to call anyone but Dallas that, just seems silly and wrong.
Dallas Cowboys  
#42 | 1799 days ago
vindog (+)

TheRoss wrote:
Nobody hates the Cowboys more than me, and I really like Manning and the Colts. But to call anyone but Dallas that, just seems silly and wrong.
   sorry but I'm out of respects for the day!  I'll hit you up tomorrow with one for this comment!
Dallas Cowboys  
#43 | 1799 days ago

vindog wrote:
   sorry but I'm out of respects for the day!  I'll hit you up tomorrow with one for this comment!
Cowboys 58% Colts 42%, um looks pretty debatable to me
Indianapolis Colts  
#44 | 1798 days ago

Maybe we start calling Soldier Field "the Tundra"? or how about the Bengals defense the "Orange Crush"? Oh, let's start calling the Ravens the "Purple People Eaters"! Perhaps we can refer to the Seahawks as Big Blue?
Dallas Cowboys  
#45 | 1798 days ago

 I'm not even sure if this poll should be taken seriously.  
Dallas Cowboys  
#46 | 1798 days ago

ary201 wrote:
Maybe we start calling Soldier Field "the Tundra"? or how about the Bengals defense the "Orange Crush"? Oh, let's start calling the Ravens the "Purple People Eaters"! Perhaps we can refer to the Seahawks as Big Blue?
No but we can start calling you lost. Read all my comments and then respond.
Colts 52% Boys 48%
Indianapolis Colts  
#47 | 1798 days ago

I could easily be a homer and say the Steelers are America's team based on not only their large fanbase, but also how well the fans travel.  However, there is no such thing as "America's Team."  It was a lame nickname given to the Cowboys and it just so happened to stick for a while.  America doesn't have one certain NFL team, they have 32.
 
#48 | 1798 days ago
vindog (+)

I know where the origin of the nickname comes from- and ANYBODY who knows ANYTHING about the NFL KNOWS where the nickname came from!  I really feel no need to list 1000 references to prove to you that it IS the Cowboys nickname!  Wow, I just wasted 15 seconds of my life on this post!
Dallas Cowboys  
#49 | 1796 days ago

ManningsOffense wrote:
Cowboys 58% Colts 42%, um looks pretty debatable to me

No doubt, when Bill Clinton won with 42% of the vote, he called it a mandate, so let the Colts fan delude himself.
Dallas Cowboys  
#50 | 1796 days ago
vindog (+)

jjplynch wrote:

No doubt, when Bill Clinton won with 42% of the vote, he called it a mandate, so let the Colts fan delude himself.
LMAO- yeah with a whopping 52 FanIQ votes, with more than half of those votes coming from Colts fans and "Cowboy Haters"- LOL!  This poll is a joke anyway!
Dallas Cowboys  
#51 | 1796 days ago

 {X}   This poll is a joke

 {   }   There is an "Americas team"

(X}    The Raiders are a disgrace to the NFL
#52 | 1795 days ago
tundra_breeze (+)

I will be your side kick, kcpartygirl, you are absolutely correct!  We need to show some sort of positive sportsmanship! 
Dallas Cowboys  
#53 | 1795 days ago

What made the Cowboys so perfect as "America's Team" were so many factors.

The national networks were really just getting going, the 1970's was the golden age of network sports (remember CBS Wide World of Sports?), like the Big East later in the decade (and peaking with the 1985 Final Four), the Cowboys took first mover advantage and captured the imagination of the country. 

They had the visually stimulative Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, and anybody alive in the late 1970's can remember that frenzy.

They were a great team who didn't care if anybody liked them just that they feared them. 

They had a great rivalry with the Pittsburgh Steelers of the Steel Curtain Era.

They had the first of the national media loudmouths - Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson.

They knew they were a great team, and they had that swagger.
Dallas Cowboys  
#54 | 1794 days ago

(Edited by ary201)
ManningsOffense wrote:
No but we can start calling you lost. Read all my comments and then respond.
Colts 52% Boys 48%
I read your comments. It wasn't a very compelling argument.

"the Cowboy's were named America's team because of their fans and popularity around the country, i.e., are the Colts America's new team."

That was your main point, I guess. It's easy to say that the Colts have been winning for the past decade, so they are more popular. Doesn't make it true though. You don't have any actual proof that the Colts are now more popular than the Cowboys. But there is a mountain of evidence that the Cowboys are more profitable, a bigger franchise, in a larger market, and have the most international support. And in the face of that evidence, you scoff at the sources. Which is all fine and good, but have provided no sources of your own. And then throw out gems like:

"LMAO dude you are sooo serious take it easy, its just a poll"

OK, so then why are we even talking about it? Why are we even on this site. Let's all just "take it easy" and sign off then. Maybe some people enjoy posting intelligently about a subject, instead of just saying stuff like:

"I'm beginning to think your a little bit slow."

and this convoluted mess:

"Your not serious are you, once again, who said nickname but you. i.e. If your teams nickname was Champion, my team could still be a champion without being call Champion as a nickname, OK, you get it. The Cowboys nickname is America's team but as you saw on faniq all week and last night, the Indianapolis Colts are America's team (more then a nickname) OK"

Are you saying it's not a nickname? You're claiming that America's Team is somehow some sort of actual status? I think if you made a poll asking if America's Team is somehow an attainable title in the NFL (and not brand the poll as a Colts poll), most everyone would agree that it's not.
Dallas Cowboys  
#55 | 1794 days ago

Dallas Cowboys and Indianapolis Colts are Two Favorite Teams Among U.S. Adults Who Follow Professional Football, According to Harris Poll

One-quarter Think Indianapolis Colts Will Win the Super Bowl

The Dallas Cowboys may be a few years from their last Super Bowl, but they are the favorite football team among adults who follow professional football, rising one spot since last year. Since this survey began in 1998, the Cowboys have always been in one of the top four positions, usually in the top two. The Indianapolis Colts have continued their steady rise in the rankings and move up one spot, from No. 3 last year to No 2 this year. In 1999, the Colts were tied for No. 27 and have moved up each year since. Rounding out the top five are the Pittsburgh Steelers (No. 3, dropping from No. 1 last year), the Green Bay Packers (remaining at No. 4) and the Chicago Bears (No. 5, moving up one spot).

These are the results of a nationwide survey conducted online by Harris Interactive® between September 11 and 18, 2008 among 5,392 U.S. adults of whom follow professional football.

Other results from this year’s poll include:

  • The two teams that made the largest movements up the list since last year are the San Diego Chargers who moved up from tied for 23rd to No. 10, a jump of 13 spots, and the New Orleans Saints, who moved up 10 positions, from No. 31 to tied for No. 21;
  • The two teams that lost the most ground since last year are the Tennessee Titans, who dropped 11 spots, from No. 15 in 2006 to tied for No. 26 this year, and the Detroit Lions, who moved from tied for No. 17 to No. 25, a drop of eight points;
  • Regionally speaking, the New York Giants are the No. 1 favorite of those in the East, while the Green Bay Packers are No. 1 for those in the Midwest. In the South, the Cowboys come out on top and in the West, the San Francisco 49ers are the favorite team;
  • The percentage of those who say they follow professional football remains stable at about half of all adults (49% this year);
  • Perhaps, not surprisingly, men (63%) are more likely to follow professional football than women (37%);
  • Over half (55%) of Baby Boomers (those aged 43-61) follow football, making it the largest generation of football followers. Just under half (49%) of both Gen Xers (those aged 31-42) and Matures (those aged 62 and older) follow football but just 42 percent of Echo Boomers (those aged 18-30) follow the sport;
  • The more education one has, the more likely one follows professional football. While three in five (60%) of those with a post grad degree follow football, 45 percent of those with a high school degree or less follow it.

Harris Interactive also asked adults who follow professional football to look into the future and say which team they think will win the Super Bowl. One-quarter (25%) say that the Indianapolis Colts will be the winners, while 23 percent say that it will be New England Patriots. These are the only two teams in double digits, but there are always die-hard fans for every team, as each of the 32 NFL teams are named as a potential Super Bowl winner by at least some respondents (albeit some at a very small percentage).

Indianapolis Colts  
#56 | 1794 days ago

Keep in mine the Colts were #2 last year and have moved up every year since 1998. If you understand why the Cowboys are called America's team then you will know that this is a debatable question. 51% Colts 49% Cowboys
Indianapolis Colts  
#57 | 1794 days ago
vindog (+)

Will this poll EVER end????????
Dallas Cowboys  
#58 | 1794 days ago
marytrammell31 (+)

vindog wrote:
Will this poll EVER end????????
Well Vinnie, I think you need to go and play with the grown-ups for awhile and leave the children be, you know you can't tell kids anything these days.. You have more patience than I do that is for sure.
Dallas Cowboys  
#59 | 1794 days ago
vindog (+)

marytrammell31 wrote:
Well Vinnie, I think you need to go and play with the grown-ups for awhile and leave the children be, you know you can't tell kids anything these days.. You have more patience than I do that is for sure.
LOL, you are SO RIGHT!  And once again, you make a "respect worthy" comment when I'm out of respects for the day!  LOL
Dallas Cowboys  
#60 | 1794 days ago
marytrammell31 (+)

marytrammell31 wrote:
Well Vinnie, I think you need to go and play with the grown-ups for awhile and leave the children be, you know you can't tell kids anything these days.. You have more patience than I do that is for sure.
That's ok,, I got a Turkey Trot from you.. Besides, it was sort of amusing reading the comments.. LOL.. I don't know how you keep your cool dealing with some of these things..You must be the most patient man in the world..
Dallas Cowboys  
#61 | 1794 days ago
vindog (+)

marytrammell31 wrote:
That's ok,, I got a Turkey Trot from you.. Besides, it was sort of amusing reading the comments.. LOL.. I don't know how you keep your cool dealing with some of these things..You must be the most patient man in the world..
LMAO, well after years as a Marine Corps D.I. and a Prisoner Interrogator, I've learned how to be VERY patient.....
Dallas Cowboys  
#62 | 1794 days ago

(Edited by ManningsOffense)
marytrammell31 wrote:
Well Vinnie, I think you need to go and play with the grown-ups for awhile and leave the children be, you know you can't tell kids anything these days.. You have more patience than I do that is for sure.
I'm far from a child, this poll is still going on because it is a very debatable topic as we can see. I know you Cowboy fan hate it but it is what it is.
Indianapolis Colts  
#63 | 1794 days ago
marytrammell31 (+)

marytrammell31 wrote:
Well Vinnie, I think you need to go and play with the grown-ups for awhile and leave the children be, you know you can't tell kids anything these days.. You have more patience than I do that is for sure.
Frankly I do not care who carries the title "America's Team" It has no meaning what so ever.. But what ever flicks your bic,,,,This is just a bias poll. Nothing to it.
Dallas Cowboys  
#64 | 1794 days ago

(Edited by ary201)
ManningsOffense wrote:
Keep in mine the Colts were #2 last year and have moved up every year since 1998. If you understand why the Cowboys are called America's team then you will know that this is a debatable question. 51% Colts 49% Cowboys
Which team was in first place in the Harris poll you just posted about?
Dallas Cowboys  
#65 | 1794 days ago
vindog (+)

ary201 wrote:
Which team was in first place in the Harris poll you just posted about?
LMAO, the answer is THE DALLAS COWBOYS! But, even though he posted that Harris Poll, I doubt he will admit that the Cowboys ARE America's most popular team! I'm sure he will find some way to twist HIS OWN FACTS that he just posted!  Oh well, I don't really care- most of us KNOW who is widely know as America's Team anyway! 
Dallas Cowboys  
#66 | 1794 days ago
marytrammell31 (+)

vindog wrote:
LMAO, well after years as a Marine Corps D.I. and a Prisoner Interrogator, I've learned how to be VERY patient.....
  Best I could do on this one... LOL... Have a great evening..Interrogator? WOW.. I bet that was tense..
Dallas Cowboys  
#67 | 1794 days ago
vindog (+)

marytrammell31 wrote:
  Best I could do on this one... LOL... Have a great evening..Interrogator? WOW.. I bet that was tense..
Very Tense!
Dallas Cowboys  
#68 | 1793 days ago

ary201 wrote:
Which team was in first place in the Harris poll you just posted about?
Did you even notice that is from 2008, the 2009 poll is yet to come out. Did you notice that it says every year since 1998 the Colts have moved up in the poll, so where else can we go from #2, uh I wonder.
Indianapolis Colts  
#69 | 1793 days ago

Are you guys serious? Did my point really just go over your heads like that. Wow and you wonder why I said slow.
Indianapolis Colts  
#70 | 1793 days ago
tundra_breeze (+)

kcpartgirl, your welcome!
Dallas Cowboys  
#71 | 1793 days ago
Sporz_Freek (+)

Beaze wrote:
Yup.  That's what I mean.  The choices are Dallas or Indy, both in middle America.  Why can't it be like... san deigo or Philly or something.
What happened to the Saints? They're 10-0 also.
Indianapolis Colts  
#72 | 1793 days ago
Sporz_Freek (+)

ManningsOffense wrote:
LMAO dude you are sooo serious take it easy, its just a poll, if you feel like no, then check no, but Outta 24 fans I see 50% think yes.
Oh and BTW didn't i tell you about GB's pass defense?
 Now it's 51%. That would win an election anytime.
Indianapolis Colts  
#73 | 1793 days ago
Sporz_Freek (+)

Sporz_Freek wrote:
 Now it's 51%. That would win an election anytime.
NOW  IT'S 52%
Indianapolis Colts  
#74 | 1793 days ago
Sporz_Freek (+)

Sporz_Freek wrote:
 Now it's 51%. That would win an election anytime.
NOW  IT'S 52%
Indianapolis Colts  
#75 | 1792 days ago

ary201 wrote:
Which team was in first place in the Harris poll you just posted about?
you can stay at #2.

Make another poll when one comes out that says the Colts are #1. But as far are you know, you're still #2.
Dallas Cowboys  
#76 | 1791 days ago

Oakland Raiders sell the most stuff.
#77 | 1791 days ago
vindog (+)

drlahman wrote:
Oakland Raiders sell the most stuff.
Thats not even close to being the truth, but it's O.K; I love your loyalty!
Dallas Cowboys  
#78 | 1791 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

Who cares who sells what.....

Football is the ultimate contest of team sports.  America's team is whichever team claims the championship trophy for the season.  It's an annual anointment. 

I consider such in a literal perception.  Unfortunately, the Cowboys shamefully use it as a marketing tactic.  It's too much arrogance for one team to claim--especially considering the greatness of the sport as a whole, and its history.
#79 | 1791 days ago
vindog (+)

NorseHeathen wrote:
Who cares who sells what.....

Football is the ultimate contest of team sports.  America's team is whichever team claims the championship trophy for the season.  It's an annual anointment. 

I consider such in a literal perception.  Unfortunately, the Cowboys shamefully use it as a marketing tactic.  It's too much arrogance for one team to claim--especially considering the greatness of the sport as a whole, and its history.

The Cowboys Organization NEVER claimed that name- you do know that right? They were labeled that by the media and the nickname just stuck! In fact, Tom Landry publicly protested against HIS team being labeled "America's Team"!    But so many people don't even know how the term originated and " assume" that the Cowboys Organization marketed it- which is NOT true at all!

Dallas Cowboys  
#80 | 1791 days ago

vindog wrote:
Special Report
The Business Of Football
Edited by Kurt Badenhausen, Michael K. Ozanian and Christina Settimi , 6:00 PM ET

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The NFL is the richest sports league in the world, with the average team worth some $957 million. And the Dallas Cowboys, the most valuable team in the NFL, are now the single most valuable sports franchise on the planet, worth $1.5 billion.

Pro football is also the most profitable sport on the planet (mean operating income in 2006 was $17.8 million on $204 million in revenue). Although its television ratings have slipped in the past decade, the NFL still beats the daylights out of other prime-time programming, including every other sport. Nearly three out of every four Americans watched an NFL game on television last season. More >

NFL Team Values

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Washington Redskins
3. New England Patriots
4. Houston Texans
5. Philadelphia Eagles
6. Denver Broncos
7. Chicago Bears
8. New York Giants
9. Cleveland Browns
10. New York Jets
11. Baltimore Ravens
12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
13. Kansas City Chiefs
14. Carolina Panthers
15. Miami Dolphins
16. Pittsburgh Steelers

 
  17. Green Bay Packers
18. Tennessee Titans
19. Seattle Seahawks
20. Cincinnati Bengals
21. Indianapolis Colts
22. St Louis Rams
23. Arizona Cardinals
24. Detroit Lions
25. New Orleans Saints
26. San Diego Chargers
27. Buffalo Bills
28. Oakland Raiders
29. Jacksonville Jaguars
30. San Francisco 49ers
31. Atlanta Falcons
32. Minnesota Vikings
  If you know anything about business, then you would understand that with WORTH comes popularity! You can't be the richest Sports Franchise in the World without being the most popular as well- just a thought!
I forget where and when that phrase was coined ( I think in the late 80's or early 90's) but regardless the comment was made about the Dallas Cowboys and no other team. Therefore They Are and always will be known as Americas Team. (period)
#81 | 1791 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

vindog wrote:

The Cowboys Organization NEVER claimed that name- you do know that right? They were labeled that by the media and the nickname just stuck! In fact, Tom Landry publicly protested against HIS team being labeled "America's Team"!    But so many people don't even know how the term originated and " assume" that the Cowboys Organization marketed it- which is NOT true at all!

My bad.....  I guess time "blurred" the fact that it was in fact the media that "dubbed" then with the title.  Thanks for the reminder.

Regardless, I still consider "America's team" to be the one that wins the Lombardi trophy at the end of the season.  Personally, I see it as an annually established honour.

Damn media.....
#82 | 1790 days ago

jjplynch wrote:

No doubt, when Bill Clinton won with 42% of the vote, he called it a mandate, so let the Colts fan delude himself.
Im sorry, when the hell did Bill Clinton win with 42%? I do recall Bush winning his election with 48% though.....
Dallas Cowboys  
#83 | 1790 days ago

NONE! There is no "America's Team" because not everyone in America is a fan of the Cowboys or Colts. There's fans of the other 30 NFL teams too. And GO GIANTS!
#84 | 1790 days ago

aos035 wrote:
Im sorry, when the hell did Bill Clinton win with 42%? I do recall Bush winning his election with 48% though.....
1992; Thanks Ross Perot
#85 | 1790 days ago

lol this poll is a JOKE!! by all standards from fan base to profit the Cowboys are the most popular team in America!! the poll that started this poor colts fans fantasy is the result of band wagon fans who support whatever team is winning. Its too bad there are so many of them!! Cowboys are AMERICAS TEAM!!! even after a decade of no playoff wins they still have the strongest support base.
Dallas Cowboys  
#86 | 1790 days ago

WOW  THIS IS GETTING GREAT READING. Can we make a movie of this poll lol.There was a label of americas team in the 70's and 80's so it  was Dallas .I am not a Dallas fan but i just laffed about the label and went on .Now If a person wants to label the Colts think up something new.So we dont have this silly debate cant we all get along .If this is the only problems in life with that is great !!! I really enjoy reading the views from different people about sports there are no right or wrong answers as far as i am concerned it is enjoyment....
Indianapolis Colts  
#87 | 1789 days ago
BDV4U (+)

Everyone knows it's the Atlanta Braves, while televised on TBS! LOL
Indianapolis Colts  
#88 | 1788 days ago

LOL.... i dont think the term "America's Team" could ever be used for the Colts.  Dont get me wrong.... they are a great team with a first ballot Hall of Famer in Peyton Manning.... i love the team but if the torch was to be passed it would most likely go to the Patriots. They have been the most succesful team of the decade and ranked in the top 3 or 4 in popularity every year since 2000.
Dallas Cowboys  
#89 | 1788 days ago

Advertiser-induced silliness
#90 | 1788 days ago

Vindog, way to represent.. An u are also giving good point of views.Dont even bother  explaining ,they dont get it... All Iam saying is look out the window ,what do u see,The Cowboys are the most pupular team .Revenue  wise,popularity,and grown income.Just look out the window.
#91 | 1783 days ago

ManningsOffense wrote:
Did you even notice that is from 2008, the 2009 poll is yet to come out. Did you notice that it says every year since 1998 the Colts have moved up in the poll, so where else can we go from #2, uh I wonder.
YUP, the Colts can go DOWN from #2. OOPS! Looks like someone's half-baked logic didn't come through for them:

Dallas Cowboys  
#92 | 1783 days ago

www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/pubs/Harris_Poll_2009_10_07.pdf
Dallas Cowboys  
#93 | 1781 days ago

WHO AND THE HELL WROTE THIS POLL?DID YOU LOOSE YOUR BRAIN.IF YOU OPEN THE DICTIONARY IT TELLS YOU WHO IS AMERICAS TEAM DALLAS COWBOYS ARE.
Dallas Cowboys  
#94 | 1781 days ago

ljohnlvlnd1 wrote:
WHO AND THE HELL WROTE THIS POLL?DID YOU LOOSE YOUR BRAIN.IF YOU OPEN THE DICTIONARY IT TELLS YOU WHO IS AMERICAS TEAM DALLAS COWBOYS ARE.
You assume Colts Fans are sufficiently capable to use a dictionary?  I doubt it, check their grammar.
Dallas Cowboys  
#95 | 1781 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

The Dallas Cowboy's are in the dictionary as "America's Team"???  I'm going to need a reference for that one.  I just looked through a 6" thick collegiate dictionary (Miriam Webster's), and a university level thesaurus and found nothing to that affect. 

Until you provide something relevant, I'm calling bullspit on that one.
#96 | 1778 days ago

I picked Dallas, wow look at the choices we had. Personally the Detroit Lions, should have been considered
lol
Dallas Cowboys  
#97 | 1778 days ago
BDV4U (+)

He must think Wikipedia is a real & reliable source. LOL
Indianapolis Colts  
#98 | 1778 days ago
vindog (+)

BDV4U wrote:
He must think Wikipedia is a real & reliable source. LOL
Just as reliable as Fox News I suppose......
Dallas Cowboys  
#99 | 1778 days ago
BDV4U (+)

vindog wrote:
Just as reliable as Fox News I suppose......
Good thing you didn't say CNN, then we would be back at my original answer of the Atlanta Braves! LOL
Indianapolis Colts  
#100 | 1778 days ago
vindog (+)

BDV4U wrote:
Good thing you didn't say CNN, then we would be back at my original answer of the Atlanta Braves! LOL
I actually could have used almost ANY News Organizion for this joke- LOL! But Fox just holds that special place in my heart for the WORST BIASED "news" organization in the World!
Dallas Cowboys  
#101 | 1778 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

I've got you on this one Vindog.....

The most biased news network in the world is the Disney Channel and their support of Hannah Montana....
#102 | 1778 days ago

Hec718 wrote:
NONE! There is no "America's Team" because not everyone in America is a fan of the Cowboys or Colts. There's fans of the other 30 NFL teams too. And GO GIANTS!
Cowboy's always will be the team everyone wants to beat ;Why because they are America's Team!
#103 | 1777 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

csora wrote:
Cowboy's always will be the team everyone wants to beat ;Why because they are America's Team!
Thanks.......ROFL......that was a great laugh!!!
#104 | 1776 days ago
BDV4U (+)

csora wrote:
Cowboy's always will be the team everyone wants to beat ;Why because they are America's Team!
And that, my friends, is why God created December! LOL
Indianapolis Colts  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
NFL**Pick-Em***Week 8**Pt.2
Asked by Michael_G | NFL, SF, IND | 8 questions asked Yesterday
8 predictions | Last by JenX63
NFL**Pick-Em**Week 8**pt. 1
Asked by Michael_G | NFL, IND, SF | 8 questions asked Yesterday
8 predictions | Last by JenX63
Rank the NFC South Scoring Leaders Week #8 10/26/2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | NFL, ATL, CAR | 4 questions asked Yesterday
4 predictions | Last by krsmntng
Rank the NFC North Scoring Leaders Week#8 10/26/2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | NFL, NFC North, DET | 4 questions asked Yesterday
4 predictions | Last by krsmntng
Rank the AFC East Scoring Leaders Week #8 10/26 /2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | NFL, AFC East, BUF | 4 questions asked Yesterday
4 predictions | Last by krsmntng