Skip to Next Poll »
3
All time Atlanta Braves center fielders
No Hall of Famers on this list.
| Closed on 06/30/07 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | MLB, Atlanta Braves | Opinion List
Team Breakout:
Rank29 FansAvg (1st)
1.Andruw Jones2.4 (15)
2.Dale Murphy2.2 (13)
3.Otis Nixon0.7
Also receiving votes:Felipe Alou0.3 (1)
Dusty Baker0.3
Rowland Office0.0

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#21 | 738 days ago

Rangers racking up another win at home....
  
44 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 2666 days ago

There is at least one guy that will eventually be in the HOF.  Probably 2.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#2 | 2666 days ago

Bearcub wrote:
There is at least one guy that will eventually be in the HOF.  Probably 2.
I don't know...  Murph has been eligable for a while now and has yet to garner the votes.  If he does make it, he may have to rely on the veteran's committee.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#3 | 2645 days ago

ML31 wrote:
I don't know...  Murph has been eligable for a while now and has yet to garner the votes.  If he does make it, he may have to rely on the veteran's committee.
It's a complete crock that he hasn't been voted in yet.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#4 | 2645 days ago

398 HR's 2111 hits and 265 ba  those are not hof numbers Murphy does not deserve the the hall.He was a very good player and had a few great years buit not enough and I don't care that he has 2 MVP's
1. Andruw Jones  2. Dale Murphy  3. Dusty Baker  
#5 | 2644 days ago

(Edited by Flea_jm14)

Dale Murphy

398HRs

2111 hits

.265 BA

5 golden gloves

2 mvps

18 seasons

 

Johnny Bench career stats:

389 HRs

2048 Hits

.267 BA

2 mvps

10 golden gloves

17 seasons

HOF

 

Dave Winfield

465 HR's

3110 hits

.283BA

7 golden gloves

0 mvps

22 seasons

HOF

 

Duke Snider

407 HRs

2116 Hits

.295 BA

1 major league player of the year

18 seasons

HOF

 

 

I would say those are pretty comparable numbers

1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#6 | 2644 days ago

Flea_jm14 wrote:

Dale Murphy

398HRs

2111 hits

.265 BA

5 golden gloves

2 mvps

18 seasons

 

Johnny Bench career stats:

389 HRs

2048 Hits

.267 BA

2 mvps

10 golden gloves

17 seasons

HOF

 

Dave Winfield

465 HR's

3110 hits

.283BA

7 golden gloves

0 mvps

22 seasons

HOF

 

Duke Snider

407 HRs

2116 Hits

.295 BA

1 major league player of the year

18 seasons

HOF

 

 

I would say those are pretty comparable numbers

In my opinion, Bench being a catcher means his numbers must be evaluated differently. Also, he played the field very VERY well. I never felt Winfield should be in the Hall to begin with. And his nubers are better than Murphy's. And Snider's numbers are not just comparable, but a LOT better than Murphy's.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#7 | 2644 days ago

ML31 wrote:
In my opinion, Bench being a catcher means his numbers must be evaluated differently. Also, he played the field very VERY well. I never felt Winfield should be in the Hall to begin with. And his nubers are better than Murphy's. And Snider's numbers are not just comparable, but a LOT better than Murphy's.

which numbers of Sniders were a LOT better?

1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#8 | 2644 days ago

Flea_jm14 wrote:

which numbers of Sniders were a LOT better?

Almost every stat category Snider was better. Murph played in 37 more games and had 799 more AB's. And Snider still out did him. Snider scored 62 more runs. Had 6 more hits. 8 more doubles. 46 more triples. 9 more homers. 67 more rbi. He struck out 511 fewer times than Murph. Hit .030 higher. His OB% was .034 higher. His slugging was .071 higher. His fielding was pretty even. And still his FA was .002 higher. There was no gold glove award the first 11 years of his carreer. So that is an unfair award to use. Murphy only out did Snider in that he stole 61 more bases and had a success rate of 70.3% to Snider's 66.4%.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#9 | 2644 days ago

I know Dusty Baker played in Atlanta for a while, but I always think of him as an LA Dodger. Left field at Dodger Stadium was called Baker's Acres in the late 70s-early 80s.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#10 | 2644 days ago

(Edited by Flea_jm14)
ML31 wrote:
Almost every stat category Snider was better. Murph played in 37 more games and had 799 more AB's. And Snider still out did him. Snider scored 62 more runs. Had 6 more hits. 8 more doubles. 46 more triples. 9 more homers. 67 more rbi. He struck out 511 fewer times than Murph. Hit .030 higher. His OB% was .034 higher. His slugging was .071 higher. His fielding was pretty even. And still his FA was .002 higher. There was no gold glove award the first 11 years of his carreer. So that is an unfair award to use. Murphy only out did Snider in that he stole 61 more bases and had a success rate of 70.3% to Snider's 66.4%.

OMG.  Those differences over a career are nothing.  And what i said was they are comparable, which they are.  Yes Johnny Bench played a different position but again the batting numbers are pretty similar.  Dave Winfield, well that one was kinda a stretch. 

 

What i'm saying is that he deserves to be in the Hall.  Which he does!!

1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#11 | 2644 days ago

I would agree, Dale Murphy shined on a team that had nobody else. He had no protection in the lineup but put up such dominating numbers during the dead ball era that he won MVP awards on last place teams.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#12 | 2644 days ago

Flea_jm14 wrote:

OMG.  Those differences over a career are nothing.  And what i said was they are comparable, which they are.  Yes Johnny Bench played a different position but again the batting numbers are pretty similar.  Dave Winfield, well that one was kinda a stretch. 

 

What i'm saying is that he deserves to be in the Hall.  Which he does!!

You are saying that 799 at bats are nothing? That's quite an edge for carreer totals.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#13 | 2644 days ago

Look at his numbers in comparison to everyone else that played durring the same time frame.  He was easily one the best players in the 80's and did it on one of the worst teams. 

  • 7-time NL All-Star (1980 & 1982-1987)
  • 2-time NL MVP (1982 & 1983)
  • 5-time NL Gold Glove Winner (1982-1986)
  • 4-time NL Silver Slugger Award Winner (1982-1985)
  • 2-time NL Slugging Percentage Leader (1983 & 1984)
  • NL OPS Leader (1983)
  • NL Runs Scored Leader (1985)
  • NL Total Bases Leader (1984)
  • 2-time NL Home Runs Leader (1984 & 1985)
  • 2-time NL RBI Leader (1982 & 1983)
  • NL Bases on Balls Leader (1985)
  • 20-Home Run Seasons: 12 (1978-1980 & 1982-1990)
  • 30-Home Run Seasons: 6 (1980, 1982-1985 & 1987)
  • 40-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1987)
  • 100 RBI Seasons: 5 (1982-1985 & 1987)
  • 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 4 (1982, 1983, 1985 & 1987)
  • 1987 Sports Illustrated Co-Sportsman of the Year
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#14 | 2644 days ago

Flea_jm14 wrote:

Look at his numbers in comparison to everyone else that played durring the same time frame.  He was easily one the best players in the 80's and did it on one of the worst teams. 

  • 7-time NL All-Star (1980 & 1982-1987)
  • 2-time NL MVP (1982 & 1983)
  • 5-time NL Gold Glove Winner (1982-1986)
  • 4-time NL Silver Slugger Award Winner (1982-1985)
  • 2-time NL Slugging Percentage Leader (1983 & 1984)
  • NL OPS Leader (1983)
  • NL Runs Scored Leader (1985)
  • NL Total Bases Leader (1984)
  • 2-time NL Home Runs Leader (1984 & 1985)
  • 2-time NL RBI Leader (1982 & 1983)
  • NL Bases on Balls Leader (1985)
  • 20-Home Run Seasons: 12 (1978-1980 & 1982-1990)
  • 30-Home Run Seasons: 6 (1980, 1982-1985 & 1987)
  • 40-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1987)
  • 100 RBI Seasons: 5 (1982-1985 & 1987)
  • 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 4 (1982, 1983, 1985 & 1987)
  • 1987 Sports Illustrated Co-Sportsman of the Year
I could pull out Snider's achievements. He had his share too. But while I do feel he was a better player than Murphy, as a Giants fan, I cannot continue to defend a Dodger any longer. I think I already broke some kind of code already.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#15 | 2644 days ago

ML31 wrote:
I could pull out Snider's achievements. He had his share too. But while I do feel he was a better player than Murphy, as a Giants fan, I cannot continue to defend a Dodger any longer. I think I already broke some kind of code already.
That's pretty funny. The Giants-Dodgers rivalry is the most underrated in all of sports. People on the east coast have no idea how big it is in California.
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Dusty Baker  
#16 | 2644 days ago

ML31 wrote:
I could pull out Snider's achievements. He had his share too. But while I do feel he was a better player than Murphy, as a Giants fan, I cannot continue to defend a Dodger any longer. I think I already broke some kind of code already.

That is possibly true.  But, i think it is more fair to judge someone based on what they did compared to other player in their time.  Which he was one of the BEST.

 

But just for comparison, here are Sniders.  They are pretty comparable.

 

  • 8-time NL All-Star (1950-1956 & 1963)
  • NL On-Base Percentage Leader (1956)
  • 2-time NL Slugging Percentage Leader 91953 & 1956)
  • 2-time NL OPS Leader (1953 & 1956)
  • 3-time NL Runs Scored Leader (1953-1955)
  • NL Hits Leader (1950)
  • 3-time NL Total Bases Leader (1950, 1953 & 1954)
  • NL Home Runs Leader (1956)
  • NL RBI Leader (1955)
  • NL Bases on Balls Leader (1956)
  • 20-Home Run Seasons: 10 (1949-1957 & 1959)
  • 30-Home Run Seasons: 6 (1950 & 1953-1957)
  • 40-Home Run Seasons: 1 (1953-1957)
  • 100 RBI Seasons: 6 (1950, 1951 & 1953-1956)
  • 100 Runs Scored Seasons: 6 (1949, 1950 & 1953-1956)
  • Won two World Series Rings with the Brooklyn Dodgers (1955) and the Los Angeles Dodgers (1959)
  • Baseball Hall of Fame: Class of 1980 (elected to Hall with Al Kaline)
1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#17 | 2644 days ago

Unlike the Football HOF, baseball takes character (they're supposed to at least) into consideration when electing for the HOF. That alone should get Murphy in. There was no better "man" in all of baseball than Dale Murphy. There still isn't, and never will be.

 

"If you're a coach, you want him as a player. If you're a father, you want him as a son. If you're a woman, you want him as a husband. If you're a kid, you want him as a father. What else can you say about the guy?" -- Joe Torre

1. Dale Murphy  2. Andruw Jones  3. Otis Nixon  
#18 | 2644 days ago

andruw is 1 of the best of the modern era

9 or so gold gloves!

1. Andruw Jones  2. Dale Murphy  3. Otis Nixon  
#19 | 742 days ago

Go Rangers !!
#20 | 742 days ago

Rangers lead the way!!!
#21 | 738 days ago

Rangers racking up another win at home....
#22 | 738 days ago

Go Rangers !!
#23 | 738 days ago

Rangers Win !
#24 | 738 days ago

(Edited by escobar1721)
It would be awesome if this was the second win to a sweep game yea!!! Go Texas!!!
#25 | 738 days ago

Mariners @ Arlington game 2 yea!! SWEET VICTORY FOR TEXAS!!!
#26 | 737 days ago

Rangers need to defend their West lead and win!!
#27 | 737 days ago

Go Rangers!
#28 | 737 days ago

The Mariners won't be able to handle the Texas heat, the bats or the weather!!!
#29 | 736 days ago

M's stun the Rangers tonight ... Go M's!
#30 | 736 days ago

Rangers making it two in a row...
#31 | 736 days ago

Rangers All The Way !!
#32 | 736 days ago

Rangers Win !!
#33 | 736 days ago

Rangers beat the Mariners !!
#34 | 736 days ago

Last night was good and tonight will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TEXAS!!!
#35 | 736 days ago

RANGERS SHOOT PAST THE MARINERS IN TEXAS
#36 | 736 days ago

The Rangers will be giving the Mariners another lost tonight!!!!
#37 | 736 days ago

texas_tornado4261 wrote:
Rangers All The Way !!
Respect !!!!!
#38 | 736 days ago

escobar1721 wrote:
The Mariners won't be able to handle the Texas heat, the bats or the weather!!!
Respect to that Eddie!!!!
#39 | 736 days ago

NO FAILURE TODAY SEATTLE! NO FAILURE! Get this win.
#40 | 736 days ago

C'mon RANGERS!! Rope another victory!
#41 | 736 days ago

C'mon RANGERS!! Rope another victory!
#42 | 736 days ago

Seattle
#43 | 736 days ago

come on SEattleeeeeeee
#44 | 736 days ago

The Mariners will sail past the Rangers.

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
NL Pitchers Individual Over/Under - 9/21
Asked by Scott | MLB, STL | 16 questions asked 09/18/14
112 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve | 13 hours left
AL Pitchers Individual Over/Under - 9/21
Asked by Scott | MLB, STL | 14 questions asked 09/18/14
98 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve | 13 hours left
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak*9/22
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, BOS, SF | 3 questions asked 09/19/14
33 predictions | 1 comment | Last by jdk1948
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak*9/21
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, BOS, SF | 3 questions asked 09/17/14
45 predictions | Last by jdk1948 | 12 hours left
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak*9/23
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, BOS, SF | 3 questions asked Yesterday
18 predictions | Last by Marquise