Skip to Next Poll »
8
Should Rocky Bleier be in the Hall of Fame? (Edited 12/15/09 09:57AM by Scott)
| Closed on 12/16/09 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | NFL, Pittsburgh Steelers | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Players:  Rocky Bleier
Team Breakout:
39 Fans 
56%a. Yes
44%b. No

  
41 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1617 days ago
tbirdmike78dje (+)

(Edited by tbirdmike78dje)
If their is one person thats overdue to be in Canton is Rocky Bleier He deserves it  was and still one of the best backs that played the game. Its way past time to give him credit thats way past due
#2 | 1617 days ago

He was the 4th all-time on the team at the time of his retirement and he's overshadowed by other members of those championship teams, but I think he deserves at least a nomination.
#3 | 1617 days ago

I'm  a heartless guy, I say no.  That being my opinion, I think he in no way needs the HOF to validate his career or validate him as a person.  He's a good back, but is he top 10?  Top 25?  There are 25 running backs in the hall, who is he better than?
No  
#4 | 1617 days ago
tbirdmike78dje (+)

this only an opinion poll
#5 | 1616 days ago

Not a chance. I can think of dozens of much better RBs that aren't in the Hall of Fame.
No  
#6 | 1615 days ago

Unfortunately, I will have to say no.


He only had one season in which he rushed for over 1000 yards; his next closest effort was just 633 yards.
He only has 23 rushing TDs and 5 receiving TDs (3 of those receptions were in Superbowls but none of his rushing TDs were).

That being said, he will always be in my Steeler hall of fame because he was a member of all 4 Superbowl wins in the 70s.
No  
#7 | 1615 days ago

desertrat wrote:
Not a chance. I can think of dozens of much better RBs that aren't in the Hall of Fame.
NAME THOSE OTHER DOZENS.
Yes  
#8 | 1615 days ago

Look at any stat sheet and find all the RBs with multiple 1,000 yard seasons not in there. Rocky Bleir was not a great RB by any stretch of the imagination. I think he was more famous for his service in Vietnam and then returning to play in the NFL.
No  
#9 | 1611 days ago

Somewhat close...but no. A great role player who usually came up clutch, but not a HOF'er
No  
#10 | 1611 days ago

8 out of 10 Steeler fans voted yes...kudos to the two who obviously aren't bandwagon, deluded fans.
No  
#11 | 1611 days ago

ApopCane wrote:
I'm  a heartless guy, I say no.  That being my opinion, I think he in no way needs the HOF to validate his career or validate him as a person.  He's a good back, but is he top 10?  Top 25?  There are 25 running backs in the hall, who is he better than?
I say he deserves to be in the hall of fame.
Yes  
#12 | 1611 days ago

The man was a career BACKUP! No way does a 2nd string player deserve to be in the Hall of Fame!
No  
#13 | 1603 days ago

he was part of the iron curtain yes he deserves to be in the hall of fame
Yes  
#14 | 1603 days ago

There is no doubt, that if you KNEW anything about Rocky Bleier's story, then you would KNOW that Rocky Bleier is EXACTLY what epitomizes a HOF'er.

Case closed.
Yes  
#15 | 1603 days ago

BengalsFan1288 wrote:
There is no doubt, that if you KNEW anything about Rocky Bleier's story, then you would KNOW that Rocky Bleier is EXACTLY what epitomizes a HOF'er.

Case closed.
Jill, if there was a Hall of Fame for great patriots and Americans, Rocky and all those that served would be there. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is a bit different. I loved watching Rocky Bleier play and loved everything he stood for....long before the avalanche of bandwagon Steeler fans were born....but he is not, nor will ever be considered in the same breath as Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, etc. To say the contrary is to be completely homeristic and, sadly...typical of this latest generation of Steeler "fans"
No  
#16 | 1602 days ago

BengalsFan1288 wrote:
There is no doubt, that if you KNEW anything about Rocky Bleier's story, then you would KNOW that Rocky Bleier is EXACTLY what epitomizes a HOF'er.

Case closed.
Mark, please don't patronize me with the "to say 'X' is to be completely homeristic and, sadly....typical of this generation of 'Y' "fans".

For you to say that is typical of angry, bitter people who attack others when they express their opinion. My opinion is that Rocky Bleier and the courage he showed working his way back to the NFL and being one of the top 4 All-time career rushers at the time makes him a HOF'er. If voters approached their votes the way you approach your comments, then no one would be in the HOF.

Next time you reply to my comment, try to leave the condescension to me as a young lady out of it. Or don't reply at all.

Thanks for your understanding and humanness.
Yes  
#17 | 1601 days ago

(Edited by MarkTheShark)
BengalsFan1288 wrote:
Mark, please don't patronize me with the "to say 'X' is to be completely homeristic and, sadly....typical of this generation of 'Y' "fans".

For you to say that is typical of angry, bitter people who attack others when they express their opinion. My opinion is that Rocky Bleier and the courage he showed working his way back to the NFL and being one of the top 4 All-time career rushers at the time makes him a HOF'er. If voters approached their votes the way you approach your comments, then no one would be in the HOF.

Next time you reply to my comment, try to leave the condescension to me as a young lady out of it. Or don't reply at all.

Thanks for your understanding and humanness.
I didn't state my opinion, I stated the truth. I'm sorry you took my post the way you did. If you are a young female and you know your stuff, you won't hear a peep from me, other than the respect button.
Being a fan of two different NFL teams, I'm surprised that you are so subjective towards one particular player on ONE of your favorite teams.
No  
#18 | 1601 days ago

BengalsFan1288 wrote:
Mark, please don't patronize me with the "to say 'X' is to be completely homeristic and, sadly....typical of this generation of 'Y' "fans".

For you to say that is typical of angry, bitter people who attack others when they express their opinion. My opinion is that Rocky Bleier and the courage he showed working his way back to the NFL and being one of the top 4 All-time career rushers at the time makes him a HOF'er. If voters approached their votes the way you approach your comments, then no one would be in the HOF.

Next time you reply to my comment, try to leave the condescension to me as a young lady out of it. Or don't reply at all.

Thanks for your understanding and humanness.
Mark, you need to attend a college philosophy class. What you stated is NOT, in any world, in any perspective, truth. What you stated was worthless and is only your opinion. What I stated is worthless and my opinion. There is no 'truth' here. Only someone who is arrogant would call their opinion TRUTH.

Also, if your opinions are going to be like this, as one from an old arrogant man who thinks he knows everything about every team, then I would prefer to never here your peeps, tweets or any other 'sounds' you make.

I am more interested in spending my limited time here, talking with reasonable and open-minded people.

Thanks
Yes  
#19 | 1601 days ago

BengalsFan1288 wrote:
Mark, you need to attend a college philosophy class. What you stated is NOT, in any world, in any perspective, truth. What you stated was worthless and is only your opinion. What I stated is worthless and my opinion. There is no 'truth' here. Only someone who is arrogant would call their opinion TRUTH.

Also, if your opinions are going to be like this, as one from an old arrogant man who thinks he knows everything about every team, then I would prefer to never here your peeps, tweets or any other 'sounds' you make.

I am more interested in spending my limited time here, talking with reasonable and open-minded people.

Thanks
Well, I guess I am arrogant.
Old men can be called arrogant or wise....probably depends on which philosophy you subscribe to.
To the point, I have studied the NFL for probably more years than you have been alive.
I am not sure where I was deserving of such vitriol for such simple words in my previous post. I hope you enjoy your time on the Q.
No  
#20 | 1601 days ago
AndiLee0388 (+)

I think old men rock!

But, I'd put Bleier in. Just because of his grit and determination, he is history, and his story belongs in the HOF!
Yes  
#21 | 1601 days ago

Put him in as a Fullback and I'd have no problem with it. He paved the way for another Hall of Famer. He never had a 100 yard rushing game and only 1 year cracking 1000 yds. I think it should be a good while before he gets in but I think he should in a diluted class get in or at least get a long look.
Yes  
#22 | 1601 days ago

The Pro Football Hall of Fame did recognize Bleier and all former Vietnam vets connected to the NFL with a history wing display.
No  
#23 | 1600 days ago




"such simple words" - don't you mean condescending?

Your quotes to refresh your short memory -

"If you are a young female and you know your stuff,"
"long before the avalanche of bandwagon Steeler fans were born"
"To say the contrary is to be completely homeristic and, sadly...typical of this latest generation of Steeler "fans""
"kudos to the two who obviously aren't bandwagon, deluded fans."





If you had provided an apology for attacking my opinion I would have accepted it. Instead, I will file you in the "Loves to Attack others Opinions - Judgemental and Prejudiced" File.
Yes  
#24 | 1600 days ago

(Edited by MarkTheShark)
BengalsFan1288 wrote:



"such simple words" - don't you mean condescending?

Your quotes to refresh your short memory -

"If you are a young female and you know your stuff,"
"long before the avalanche of bandwagon Steeler fans were born"
"To say the contrary is to be completely homeristic and, sadly...typical of this latest generation of Steeler "fans""
"kudos to the two who obviously aren't bandwagon, deluded fans."





If you had provided an apology for attacking my opinion I would have accepted it. Instead, I will file you in the "Loves to Attack others Opinions - Judgemental and Prejudiced" File.
And where did I refer to YOU specifically as being any of those things. Methinks your skin is thin and your ego is grand.
Where did I attack anyone's opinions?
Where is your factual support for Rocky Bleier?
I...I gave a link to the HOF's display for Vietnam era veterans involved with the NFL.
You have passion for the subject. Great. Now where is your articulation ON THE SUBJECT?
You seem much more determined to write about yourself and attack others than Rocky Bleier.
I have seen you write phrases such as "Case Closed." and then write that you want "open-minded" debate...doesn't that strike you as hypocritical? 
No  
#25 | 1600 days ago

Hey, if I am the judge and jury (and I am with respect to my own opinion) then the case WAS closed to me. You are free to have any opinion you want. 

And you are the only one personalizing this. Bringing my age and sex into this.

For a "leader" on this site, you and kramer are very negative and attacking. And you are wrong. I attacked no one. You replied to my comment, attacking Steeler fans. I know the trick that you use, you refer in general, but attack the "group" that the person you are replying to belongs to.

An intelligent person would conclude that by replying to my thread and attacking "Steeler fans" who are delusional that you were attacking me.

Please stop harassing me.

Rocky Bleier should be in the Hall of Fame. Case Closed. I don't care to discuss it with you.
Yes  
#26 | 1600 days ago

(Edited by MarkTheShark)
What is wrong with you?
YOU clearly brought your age and sex into it....YOU stated in comment #16 in this thread:

Next time you reply to my comment, try to leave the condescension to me as a young lady out of it.

NOWHERE did I refer to your sex and age before that reference that you provided of your own volition.

As you posted earlier, I'm an "old guy". I clearly remember SB X and XIII. I rooted vociferously for the Steelers against the hated Cowboys. This very site had half the percentage of Steeler fans on it as it does now. I respect a great many of them here. kramer, Wordsmith xtra-ill just to name a few. What I can't and will NEVER respect is idiot a-hole fans showing up at a Buccaneers-Packers  or Buccaneers-Redskins game in Steeler garb and rooting for the away team. A total douche move that I will call them on every time.

I freely admit that in two or three years it will be another team (like the Patriots before the Steelers) that will have its bandwagon swollen with fools that don't know how sweet it can be to root for a team win or lose your entire life.

bte, Jill, if you don't think much of kramer or I.....I have to ask: have you met Pat perchance?...lol...

If anyone takes this post personally, great. If not, great.
No  
#27 | 1599 days ago

MarkTheShark wrote:
What is wrong with you?
YOU clearly brought your age and sex into it....YOU stated in comment #16 in this thread:

Next time you reply to my comment, try to leave the condescension to me as a young lady out of it.

NOWHERE did I refer to your sex and age before that reference that you provided of your own volition.

As you posted earlier, I'm an "old guy". I clearly remember SB X and XIII. I rooted vociferously for the Steelers against the hated Cowboys. This very site had half the percentage of Steeler fans on it as it does now. I respect a great many of them here. kramer, Wordsmith xtra-ill just to name a few. What I can't and will NEVER respect is idiot a-hole fans showing up at a Buccaneers-Packers  or Buccaneers-Redskins game in Steeler garb and rooting for the away team. A total douche move that I will call them on every time.

I freely admit that in two or three years it will be another team (like the Patriots before the Steelers) that will have its bandwagon swollen with fools that don't know how sweet it can be to root for a team win or lose your entire life.

bte, Jill, if you don't think much of kramer or I.....I have to ask: have you met Pat perchance?...lol...

If anyone takes this post personally, great. If not, great.
I am honored that I was mentioned alongside legends.
No  
#28 | 1595 days ago

BengalsFan1288 wrote:
Hey, if I am the judge and jury (and I am with respect to my own opinion) then the case WAS closed to me. You are free to have any opinion you want. 

And you are the only one personalizing this. Bringing my age and sex into this.

For a "leader" on this site, you and kramer are very negative and attacking. And you are wrong. I attacked no one. You replied to my comment, attacking Steeler fans. I know the trick that you use, you refer in general, but attack the "group" that the person you are replying to belongs to.

An intelligent person would conclude that by replying to my thread and attacking "Steeler fans" who are delusional that you were attacking me.

Please stop harassing me.

Rocky Bleier should be in the Hall of Fame. Case Closed. I don't care to discuss it with you.
this is for Mark and others: The reason to be made for Rocky to be in the HOF is simple: he put those stats up as a LEAD BLOCKER FOR FRANCO PLAYING FULL BACK!!!! Not as a tailback. Second, he was one of the first RB's to be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield, probably more dangerous in this capacity.Last but not least; he was the lead blocker for Franco who at the time of their retirement was at the top 5 of the rushing leaderboard in History. If it were simply stats to take into concideration, then tell me how Bart Starr got in? ( And yes I do like Starr and think he should be in for his intangibles he brought to his team).
Yes  
#29 | 1595 days ago

I would love to see a push for Ernie " arrowhead" Holmes for the HOF. He was one of the elite at his position during his playing days though Joe Greene got the accolades.
Yes  
#30 | 1595 days ago

Mark, as you know I never take your remarks personal, in fact I enjoy the banter! please read post regarding your give and take with bengalsfan on this issue. Your comments as always are welcome, maybe not agreed with, but welcome. lol
Yes  
#31 | 1595 days ago

(Edited by desertrat)
angie_brown255 wrote:
he was part of the iron curtain yes he deserves to be in the hall of fame
The Steel Curtain referred to the Steelers defense, Rocky Bleier was a blocking RB.
No  
#32 | 1595 days ago

(Edited by desertrat)
BengalsFan1288 wrote:
There is no doubt, that if you KNEW anything about Rocky Bleier's story, then you would KNOW that Rocky Bleier is EXACTLY what epitomizes a HOF'er.

Case closed.
I know all about Rocky Bleier's story, I watched him run the ball at the end of blowouts when they gave Franco Harris a rest. Rocky was a war hero and a good backup RB, but that doesn't make him Hall of Fame worthy!
No  
#33 | 1595 days ago

BengalsFan1288 wrote:
Mark, please don't patronize me with the "to say 'X' is to be completely homeristic and, sadly....typical of this generation of 'Y' "fans".

For you to say that is typical of angry, bitter people who attack others when they express their opinion. My opinion is that Rocky Bleier and the courage he showed working his way back to the NFL and being one of the top 4 All-time career rushers at the time makes him a HOF'er. If voters approached their votes the way you approach your comments, then no one would be in the HOF.

Next time you reply to my comment, try to leave the condescension to me as a young lady out of it. Or don't reply at all.

Thanks for your understanding and humanness.
One of the top 4 all time career rushers? Where did you come up with this? Rocky Bleier was never at any time even close to the Top 40 all time career rushers, this is fact.
No  
#34 | 1595 days ago

desertrat wrote:
One of the top 4 all time career rushers? Where did you come up with this? Rocky Bleier was never at any time even close to the Top 40 all time career rushers, this is fact.
He was the fourth leading rusher in Steelers history when he retired....I guess that means Michael Pittman should be in the HOF.
No  
#35 | 1595 days ago

angie_brown255 wrote:
he was part of the iron curtain yes he deserves to be in the hall of fame
the Iron Curtain, really? I'm embarrassed for you a little. I don't see how anyone can really think he should go in as a Half Back. The guy has worse #'s than pre-modern day Full backs. The man is a legend in Steeler lore but not NFL. Pittsburgh owes him a great debt for what he contributed to the Steelers not the NFL. The Hall of Fame is a numbers game and Bleir falls short.
Yes  
#36 | 1591 days ago
vindog (+)

Career stats
Rushing Yards 3,865
AVG 4.2
Total TDs 25
As much as I loved the guy as a kid, his numbers are NO WHERE close to being a HOF Candidate!   Sorry folks- that's the honest truth!  Though he IS a great American, he was NOT a GREAT player in the NFL- as far as "stats" that is.......
No  
#37 | 1591 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
Kmacnealy1 wrote:
this is for Mark and others: The reason to be made for Rocky to be in the HOF is simple: he put those stats up as a LEAD BLOCKER FOR FRANCO PLAYING FULL BACK!!!! Not as a tailback. Second, he was one of the first RB's to be a threat as a receiver out of the backfield, probably more dangerous in this capacity.Last but not least; he was the lead blocker for Franco who at the time of their retirement was at the top 5 of the rushing leaderboard in History. If it were simply stats to take into concideration, then tell me how Bart Starr got in? ( And yes I do like Starr and think he should be in for his intangibles he brought to his team).
Ummm, sorry to be a stickler here, but Bleier was a RUNNINGBACK- not a Fullback!  In fact, Franco Harris was ACTUALLY the Pittsburgh FULLBACK!   Even further, during the " Immaculate Reception", Johnny Faqua was the halfback and Harris was the fullback... Just clearing this up, because Bleier MUST be considered as a Runningback- not Fullback for the HOF!   Now Darryl "Moose" Johnston was a FULLBACK and will be considered as such when his time comes.... just saying     One other thing, before every Steeler fan jumps on me- LOL- BOTH Bleier and Harris did play both positions and BOTH blocked (and ran behind) each others blocks!  To say that Bleier got all of his yards as a FULLBACK is a falsehood!
No  
#38 | 1591 days ago
Elvisnga (+)

(Edited by Elvisnga)
vindog wrote:
Career stats
Rushing Yards 3,865
AVG 4.2
Total TDs 25
As much as I loved the guy as a kid, his numbers are NO WHERE close to being a HOF Candidate!   Sorry folks- that's the honest truth!  Though he IS a great American, he was NOT a GREAT player in the NFL- as far as "stats" that is.......
Nope...but that 70's group of Steelers gets way too much respect.



Franco was the biggest p*&&y ever...running out of bounds every chance he got and Lynn was big in the BIG  GAME...numbers wise, he has no buisness in there either.  John was a much better WR.
#39 | 1591 days ago
vindog (+)

Elvisnga wrote:
Nope...but that 70's group of Steelers gets way too much respect.



Franco was the biggest p*&&y ever...running out of bounds every chance he got and Lynn was big in the BIG  GAME...numbers wise, he has no buisness in there either.  John was a much better WR.
Funny you just mentioned that about Franco Harris... I just read a story about Jim Brown and how he lost respect for Franco becasuse he DID run out of bounds all the time!   Critics (especially Jim Brown) complained about Harris' tendency to run out of bounds instead of taking on tacklers for extra yards, something that years later would be attributed to Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander. Harris felt that he extended his career by avoiding unnecessary contact.[3] Harris also had a tendency to fumble the football tallying 90 total career fumbles - the most all time for a running back.
No  
#40 | 1591 days ago
Elvisnga (+)

vindog wrote:
Funny you just mentioned that about Franco Harris... I just read a story about Jim Brown and how he lost respect for Franco becasuse he DID run out of bounds all the time!   Critics (especially Jim Brown) complained about Harris' tendency to run out of bounds instead of taking on tacklers for extra yards, something that years later would be attributed to Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander. Harris felt that he extended his career by avoiding unnecessary contact.[3] Harris also had a tendency to fumble the football tallying 90 total career fumbles - the most all time for a running back.

I have a old 'PRO' magazine from way back in the day with him. TD, and Payton on it talking about chasing the record.  He talked about it then.  He was a big sissy.

#41 | 1591 days ago
Elvisnga (+)

No...great stories don't get you into the HOF, great play on the field does and he was never great...just like alot of the others on those teams, good on a great team.

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
If you had to start an NFL franchise and had your pick of any running back, rank your top 5 Choices.
Asked by jdoug | NFL | 5 questions asked 09/26/12
180 opinions | 6 comments | Last by abac89
In The 2000 Super Bowl (Titans vs Rams) Did The Titans Receiver ACTUALLY Cross the goalline?
Asked by collinbentley11 | NFL, TEN, STL | 1 questions asked 07/17/12
34 opinions | 9 comments | Last by abac89
Who's the better running back?
Asked by collinbentley11 | NFL, MIN, TEN | 1 questions asked 08/09/13
24 opinions | 1 comment | Last by Psyduckisboss
Do you think a quarterback under 6'2" can survive in the NFL?
Asked by chevleclair | NFL | 1 questions asked 07/05/12
26 opinions | 9 comments | Last by NYMets7ss
Who is your #1 Arizona Cardinal QB of all time?
Asked by ChicagoMonkey28 | NFL | 5 questions asked 06/30/10
285 opinions | 14 comments | Last by NYMets7ss