Skip to Next Poll »
14
Who is/was the greatest Quarterback of all time?

Who is/was the greatest Quarterback of all time?

| Closed on 01/30/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | NFL | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
130 Fans 
4%a. Aikman, Troy
4%b. Bradshaw, Terry
1%c. Brady, Tom
0%d. Dawson, Len
4%e. Elway, John
7%f. Favre, Brett
0%g. Hornung, Paul
1%h. Manning, Eli
20%i. Manning, Peyton
7%j. Marino, Dan
0%k. McNabb, Donovan
38%l. Montana, Joe
1%m. Namath, Joe
2%n. Roethlisberger, Ben
3%o. Starr, Bart
5%p. Staubach, Roger
0%q. Tarkenton, Fran
1%r. Tittle, Y.A.
4%s. Unitas, Johnny
0%t. Warner, Kurt

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#7 | 1653 days ago

So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
Montana, Joe  
  
88 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1672 days ago

Johnny Unitas put Pro Football on the map, still holds the NFL Record of throwing a TD pass in 47 consecutive games, and called his own plays. No one playing today comes close to the greatness that is Johnny U.
Unitas, Johnny  
#2 | 1672 days ago

Joe Namath. What a JOKE. Shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Shouldn't even be MENTIONED in this discussion. Nowhere near the talent any of these other guys had. Guaranteed a win and became a Hall of Famer. If they lose that game he becomes one of the biggest douchers in all of NFL history. Great job putting him in The Hall voters.
Starr, Bart  
#3 | 1672 days ago

Joe Namath was one of the best of all time.

Namath, Joe  
#4 | 1670 days ago

gobigblue1960 wrote:
Johnny Unitas put Pro Football on the map, still holds the NFL Record of throwing a TD pass in 47 consecutive games, and called his own plays. No one playing today comes close to the greatness that is Johnny U.
Johnny was a legend and still is...However I ask you to check out "Big Ben's" credentials. Youngest QB to win a superbowl, 2nd youngest to win 2 in three years, 51 wins in first 5 years, and as a rookie won his first 13 games. Dude this guy is already Hall of Fame awesome..
Roethlisberger, Ben  
#5 | 1670 days ago

Montana....and not talking states:)
Montana, Joe  
#6 | 1670 days ago

(Edited by snoopydawg44us)
I voted for Joe Montana as my all time greatest QB. I been watching Pro Football since 1971. Joe Montana had it all, accuratecy, cooliness in the pocket. great arm. Can scramble when needed too, and was great in the "Big Games". His records says it all. I will always remember watching NFL Films, and Pat Summerall was mentioning Montana, in reference before the Super Bowl game against Denver, Super Bowl 24, he told the story of how Montana can see "all 5 recievers on the field durning 1 play, and if Denver's Defensive can't get to Montana, he (Montana) will "eat them alive". That statement right there,  just blew me away. Of course we know what happened in the Super Bowl game. (Montana's 3rd Super Bowl MVP award)
Montana, Joe  
#7 | 1653 days ago

So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
Montana, Joe  
#8 | 1653 days ago

Its very possible that the two best of all-time are playing right now. Tough to judge earlier QBs because passing was not a very large part of the game.
Manning, Peyton  
#9 | 1652 days ago

Pat wrote:
So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
Seriously??? You really need to check the record books. I've been an avid football fan since 1964. I had season tickets when I turned 16 and never missed a game even when my team won only 1 game all season. Of course that was Chuck's first season as Head Coach in Pittsburgh. I've seen them come and seen them go. Big Ben will without doubt re-write the record books. Joe was good but only 3rd or 4th best all-time.
Roethlisberger, Ben  
#10 | 1652 days ago

wiccansocialworker wrote:
Seriously??? You really need to check the record books. I've been an avid football fan since 1964. I had season tickets when I turned 16 and never missed a game even when my team won only 1 game all season. Of course that was Chuck's first season as Head Coach in Pittsburgh. I've seen them come and seen them go. Big Ben will without doubt re-write the record books. Joe was good but only 3rd or 4th best all-time.
I need to check the record books? That's funny, because Ben's not in there, so I don't know what that would accomplish.

You're delusional if you really think he'll "re-write the record books".

I think the problem is that you think he's the best QB the Steelers have ever had, and you think that's somehow a big deal. The fact is, however, that the Steelers have never, at any point in their career, had a truly elite QB. They're based on rushing and defense, not good QB's. They always have been, and always will be. Ben Roethlisberger will NOT be re-writing any record books. There's really no question about it.
Montana, Joe  
#11 | 1652 days ago

Peyton Manning all the way. Look at his stats in his career and compare them to Big Ben's. If he could only have a good defense there's no telling how many championships he could win. He knows your defense better than you do. Invincible and noone comes near the records he has accomplished.
Manning, Peyton  
#12 | 1648 days ago

Why even question it? Joe Montana led one of the greatest dynasties and under one of the greatest coaches of all time.
Montana, Joe  
#13 | 1648 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
Its very possible that the two best of all-time are playing right now. Tough to judge earlier QBs because passing was not a very large part of the game.

Peyton Manning is blessed with one of the best O- lines EVER and one of the best recieving cores. Hw isn't the best.

Aikman, Troy  
#14 | 1648 days ago

aos035 wrote:

Peyton Manning is blessed with one of the best O- lines EVER and one of the best recieving cores. Hw isn't the best.

...says the guy who voted for Troy Aikman. You realize Aikman had WAY better offensive lines than Peyton, or maybe anyone in the history of the game, right? And his stats still aren't even remotely comparable to Manning. Just saying.
Montana, Joe  
#15 | 1648 days ago

Montana to me was the best of our time....Peyton is going to be the  best of this time and will surpass montana.I dont think anyone reads a defense and makes the adjustments as well as peyton ,in any time
Montana, Joe  
#16 | 1648 days ago

Montana is STILL the best I've seen...Unitas was older when I saw him...but Montana's coolness under pressure...his ability to lead his team...I saw him beat my Rams TOO MANY TIMES...but he really shined in the Super Bowl-that last drive in SB XXIII vs. the Bengals was his career in a nutshell...and pretty funny in the Saturday Night Live skit!!!
Montana, Joe  
#17 | 1648 days ago

gobigblue1960 wrote:
Johnny Unitas put Pro Football on the map, still holds the NFL Record of throwing a TD pass in 47 consecutive games, and called his own plays. No one playing today comes close to the greatness that is Johnny U.
peyton calls his ownlats as well,and will break many records.He pretty much play OC and QB at the same time. Manning has an instinct to read defenses and make the adjustments needed to win...I dont remember seeing too mant games with unitas,however the old clips i have seen he was spectacular,no doubt
Montana, Joe  
#18 | 1647 days ago
coach_miller (+)

Manning will be when it's all said and done.
Manning, Peyton  
#19 | 1647 days ago

Montana...
Montana, Joe  
#20 | 1647 days ago

wiccansocialworker wrote:
Seriously??? You really need to check the record books. I've been an avid football fan since 1964. I had season tickets when I turned 16 and never missed a game even when my team won only 1 game all season. Of course that was Chuck's first season as Head Coach in Pittsburgh. I've seen them come and seen them go. Big Ben will without doubt re-write the record books. Joe was good but only 3rd or 4th best all-time.
I think you have the wrong name when you're saying Ben Roethlisberger will "re-write the history books." There are two QB's playing today that will do that.  Brett Favre has already done it and Peyton Manning is well on his way to passing Favre in every passing category.  Big Ben is a solid QB in the NFL but he is no where near any of the greats and never will be.  If you wanted to take a homer pick you should have at least said Bradshaw so that you have a legitimate argument here.
Manning, Peyton  
#21 | 1647 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
I think you have the wrong name when you're saying Ben Roethlisberger will "re-write the history books." There are two QB's playing today that will do that.  Brett Favre has already done it and Peyton Manning is well on his way to passing Favre in every passing category.  Big Ben is a solid QB in the NFL but he is no where near any of the greats and never will be.  If you wanted to take a homer pick you should have at least said Bradshaw so that you have a legitimate argument here.
FYI, there's a guy in New England who did a little scribbling in the record books here and there, as well.
Montana, Joe  
#22 | 1647 days ago
jasonwrites (+)

 Everyone should notice that FanIQ's #1 Patriots fan is singing the praises of one P. Manning. That alone should tell you a lot.

Montana was unquestionably great, and at this very moment, he may remain #1. But I'm betting that changes two weeks from now. Once Peyton has his second ring-- having played almost always on Colts teams with defenses inferior to those 49ers teams-- the debate is all but over. Once he breaks Old Man River's records, it's game, set, match.
Manning, Peyton  
#23 | 1647 days ago
markayg (+)

 I had to go with my childhood idol Marino but when its all said and done no question Manning will be the greatest qb ever
Marino, Dan  
#24 | 1647 days ago

Surprised Sammy Baugh isn't up there. He was athlete wise for sure. In a time when the sport and positions were still being defined.  I sapose most everybody who saw him play in the day is either dead or has altimers (old timers) Its a personal and family thing for me sorry if it offends anyone. Wasn't my intention or even negitivly ment in any sort of way.
#25 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
FYI, there's a guy in New England who did a little scribbling in the record books here and there, as well.
That's true he has had brilliant seasons and is a definite hall of famer, but as far as career numbers are concerned Manning and Favre have the edge there.
Manning, Peyton  
#26 | 1647 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
That's true he has had brilliant seasons and is a definite hall of famer, but as far as career numbers are concerned Manning and Favre have the edge there.
Because they've played more years. But that doesn't make them better, it just makes them older.

Brady has played BETTER than Favre, and just as well as Manning... he just hasn't played as long. And Favre honestly doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Manning OR Brady, unless you're saying "Brett Favre isn't as good as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning".
Montana, Joe  
#27 | 1647 days ago

(Edited by truckinrick1949)
I have been following football since the 50's when the San Diego Chargers were Los Angeles Chargers, You they are all great QBs but all the real greats have won 4 super bowls including Terry Bradshaw so you must have forgot about Terry i think you are lost a little, 4 super bowls won that says it all my friends!!!So you have Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw its a tie for now deal with it!!!No questions asked on who is better read the bottom line 4 SUPER BOWLS WON
Montana, Joe  
#28 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
Because they've played more years. But that doesn't make them better, it just makes them older.

Brady has played BETTER than Favre, and just as well as Manning... he just hasn't played as long. And Favre honestly doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Manning OR Brady, unless you're saying "Brett Favre isn't as good as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning".
Lets not sell Brett Favre short here.  He has been a great quarterback for a long time.  He has a super bowl ring another super bowl appearance 5 NFC championship game appearances and three MVP awards.  Not to mention he is first in almost every statistical passing category (which can be somewhat attributed to his longevity, but that is just another reason why he is so great).  Yes he has thrown a lot of costly interceptions and yes Manning and Brady might be a little better in that they throw less interceptions but you can't take anything away from Favre as a QB and as a leader. He is one of the greatest ever, PERIOD.
Manning, Peyton  
#29 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
Pat, I could not have said it any better...also Warren Moon would be on this list before Eli, Ben or McNabb! Incredible!!!
Montana, Joe  
#30 | 1647 days ago

y'all want to talk records?  take a look at who is in the lead.

1. Brett Favre
2. John Elway
3. Joe Montana
4. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
Favre, Brett  
#31 | 1647 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
y'all want to talk records?  take a look at who is in the lead.

1. Brett Favre
2. John Elway
3. Joe Montana
4. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
Name one record that Brett Favre has that he WOULDN'T have if Peyton Manning played as long as him, and I'll be impressed.

Longevity and greatness are two entirely separate things.
Montana, Joe  
#32 | 1647 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
Montana to me was the best of our time....Peyton is going to be the  best of this time and will surpass montana.I dont think anyone reads a defense and makes the adjustments as well as peyton ,in any time
Montana was phenomenal. Uncannily cool and accurate in those closing minutes. But the more I see of the way Manning (P) can read and adjust to the highly technical defences in this league, the more I realise he may well match Montana. To surpass him he needs more Rings, though no#2 could be close now.
Montana, Joe  
#33 | 1647 days ago

bridgei wrote:
Montana was phenomenal. Uncannily cool and accurate in those closing minutes. But the more I see of the way Manning (P) can read and adjust to the highly technical defences in this league, the more I realise he may well match Montana. To surpass him he needs more Rings, though no#2 could be close now.
yes it would be great to see peyton get 4 rings and the way QB's are playing into their 40s, very attainable.... marino proves that rings do not always make the qb..he is till one of the greats..montana will always be my fave, then of course my eli..then big brother:) thanks for the respect!!
Montana, Joe  
#34 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
Talk about wrong you are the one who is wrong. Ben Roethlisberger is way better than Steve young. DUHHHHHHH!!!!!! How Many Super Bowl wins does Steve Young have huh well you tell me and I know that Ben Roethlisberger has more. soooooo yeah you are wrong. U R A FRUITCAKE!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I do agree with u about Eli Manning he is horrible!!!!!!!!!
Roethlisberger, Ben  
#35 | 1647 days ago

Peyton Manning pretty much has broken every record there is to break. 
Plus the Colts are just AWESOME!!!!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS 2010 COLTS
Manning, Peyton  
#36 | 1647 days ago

 If Favre isnt as good as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady Why didnt u vote for one of them.

Roethlisberger, Ben  
#37 | 1647 days ago

it's definitely joe montana...there's no doubt..he's the best there is...no question ask !!!!!!!!!!
Montana, Joe  
#38 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
I agree pat and we all know i am eli's number one fan,and know that he is only going to imprve as time goes on, however they(class of 04)have not been in the NFL long enough to be listed in this catagory. I voted montana  for all time and peyton for going to be the all time...
Montana, Joe  
#39 | 1647 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
Its very possible that the two best of all-time are playing right now. Tough to judge earlier QBs because passing was not a very large part of the game.
Definantly tough to say who is or was the best. Football is constantly evolving, players are getting faster and more powerful, and training techniques/sports medicine is advancing by leaps and bounds. I dont think you can compare QBs from different eras and come up with a fair assesment. In the early days it would be unthinkable to throw for 350yds and 4 TDs in a single game. I think the same could be said for players of all positions in any sport when people ask who is or was the greatest player of all times. I remember watching Terry Bradshaw and Roger Staubach and everone saying these are the greatest QBs of all times. Way too many variables to pick out one person as the best.
Marino, Dan  
#40 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
I need to check the record books? That's funny, because Ben's not in there, so I don't know what that would accomplish.

You're delusional if you really think he'll "re-write the record books".

I think the problem is that you think he's the best QB the Steelers have ever had, and you think that's somehow a big deal. The fact is, however, that the Steelers have never, at any point in their career, had a truly elite QB. They're based on rushing and defense, not good QB's. They always have been, and always will be. Ben Roethlisberger will NOT be re-writing any record books. There's really no question about it.
C'mon Pat, the Steelers have NEVER had an elite QB? Have you forgotten about Bradshaw? During his era him and Roger Staubach were what all other QBs were measured against. But I do have to go with you on the Rothlessburger thing. I dont think his few moments in the sun constitutes any greatness on his part.
Marino, Dan  
#41 | 1647 days ago

This is such an easy question.......Bart Starr as of right now is was and more than likely will ever be the best Quarterback that played the game. five NFL titles and two Super Bowl Championships, three times as Most Valuable Player, MVP of Super Bowls I and II.  Records are nice but championships are what truely matters.......
Starr, Bart  
#42 | 1647 days ago

evan1soccer wrote:
Talk about wrong you are the one who is wrong. Ben Roethlisberger is way better than Steve young. DUHHHHHHH!!!!!! How Many Super Bowl wins does Steve Young have huh well you tell me and I know that Ben Roethlisberger has more. soooooo yeah you are wrong. U R A FRUITCAKE!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I do agree with u about Eli Manning he is horrible!!!!!!!!!
Alright, good to know. After reading this comment, I can safely ignore every single thing you ever say, and not worry even the slightest bit that I might miss something intelligent.
Montana, Joe  
#43 | 1647 days ago

evan1soccer wrote:

 If Favre isnt as good as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady Why didnt u vote for one of them.

Because Brady and Manning are better than Favre, but I believe Montana is better than all three of them.
Montana, Joe  
#44 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
Because Brady and Manning are better than Favre, but I believe Montana is better than all three of them.
dude
peyton manning !!!!!!!
for sure
#45 | 1647 days ago

Pat wrote:
Because Brady and Manning are better than Favre, but I believe Montana is better than all three of them.
tom brady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#46 | 1647 days ago

Joe Montana.... but if Peyton Manning continues racking up numbers, awards and adds a couple more championships, I couldnt argue with him possibly being the best ever
Montana, Joe  
#47 | 1647 days ago

fran tarkenton
#48 | 1646 days ago

i like Peyton Manning, but Montana is first on my list
#49 | 1646 days ago

(Edited by snoopydawg44us)
Its funny when Brady was beating P Manning in the AFC Champ game a few years back, before Peyton went off, everyone was saying that Peyton "couldn't win the BIG ONE". Now he's the Best QB sinced  "'slice bread" .  I will stick with Montana as my no 1. "JOE KNOWS SUPER BOWLS"
Montana, Joe  
#50 | 1646 days ago

Pat wrote:
So... let me get this straight... Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb and Joe Namath are on the list, but Steve Young isn't? Yeah, ok...

And FYI, anyone who voted for Ben Roethlisberger is 100% wrong. He's not even the best QB in the NFL. Or even in the top 3. He and Eli Manning are tied for the most incorrect possible answers on this list.
Who selected the quarterbacks?  Where is Drew Brees??????????????????
#51 | 1640 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
y'all want to talk records?  take a look at who is in the lead.

1. Brett Favre
2. John Elway
3. Joe Montana
4. Peyton Manning
5. Dan Marino
you are talking about hypotheticals, and that is fine. but i prefer the facts. Its hard to say what he would or would not do in the same time period.

here's one: lead your team to a superbowl victory in under 8 seasons.
or
take your teams to back to back superbowls withing 8 seasons.

I can make them up all day.
Favre, Brett  
#52 | 1640 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
you are talking about hypotheticals, and that is fine. but i prefer the facts. Its hard to say what he would or would not do in the same time period.

here's one: lead your team to a superbowl victory in under 8 seasons.
or
take your teams to back to back superbowls withing 8 seasons.

I can make them up all day.
By any and every standard imaginable, Tom Brady is better than Brett Favre. There's really no getting around it. You can sit there and say that Brett has more of this and more of that, but the simple fact is that he has played for far longer than anyone else we're talking about. That doesn't make him better, it just means he played longer.
Montana, Joe  
#53 | 1640 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
you are talking about hypotheticals, and that is fine. but i prefer the facts. Its hard to say what he would or would not do in the same time period.

here's one: lead your team to a superbowl victory in under 8 seasons.
or
take your teams to back to back superbowls withing 8 seasons.

I can make them up all day.
Lets see, Brady took most of one season to win one Super Bowl, and won 3 in 4 years, and was back in year 6, albeit with a busted foot, so what great QB needs 8 years?  Peyton?  Favre?  I think only Bradshaw won 4 in 6 years and Troy Aikman won 3 in 4 years.

Sunday we get to see if Brees or Peyton is even worthy of the list.  But even winning one doesn't make you great, just ask Eli.  If Peyton chokes, we'll put him in the Dan Marino category. 

For pure excitement and precision passing, I never saw anybody like Dan Marino and the M&M's, but he never won the big one, so he can't be considered greatest. 

Take a look at how many mediocre receivers Brady has had to work with until Moss & Welker came along, and with the exception of Corey Dillon, he had no outstanding running backs either. 

Brady had an off year, which could be attributed to his taking the previous season off, and ended only 102 yards shy of Peyton (4500), who is being billed as the Second Coming on his stats. 

Longevity records like Favre's show good genes, and good fortune more than greatness.  Its winning the big ones that show greatness. 
Montana, Joe  
#54 | 1639 days ago

Pat wrote:
By any and every standard imaginable, Tom Brady is better than Brett Favre. There's really no getting around it. You can sit there and say that Brett has more of this and more of that, but the simple fact is that he has played for far longer than anyone else we're talking about. That doesn't make him better, it just means he played longer.
I'm just going devil's advocate that's all but the position of QB is probably the hardest to stay unhurt at so that type of durability is something that is amazing also to allow him to gather those stats. If we say all QB's stay healthy all the time then maybe he's not up there but just saying.
#55 | 1639 days ago

djjfrench wrote:
I'm just going devil's advocate that's all but the position of QB is probably the hardest to stay unhurt at so that type of durability is something that is amazing also to allow him to gather those stats. If we say all QB's stay healthy all the time then maybe he's not up there but just saying.
Yes, it's amazing. But it doesn't make him BETTER. Peyton Manning's 5 best seasons are significantly better than Favre's 5 best seasons, and despite the fact that Favre has a lot more seasons to draw from, I'd say Peyton's 10 best seasons are better than Favre's 10 best. So does the fact that Favre kept playing longer (and ended up with 3 bad seasons out of his past 5) make him better? Nope... it just means he didn't retire.

Sure, it's impressive that he has been able to stick around. But the fact is that overall, despite a good season this year, his production is still declining. That is clear, from his seasons in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

If anything, I'd rather see a guy retire and make way for a younger QB who has the potential to be better. For example, I believe the Packers upgraded when they switched to Aaron Rodgers. If they had kept Favre, Rodgers would have ended up somewhere else, and the team would be in worse shape than they are now. So does that longevity really increase Favre's value? I don't think so.
Montana, Joe  
#56 | 1639 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
Lets see, Brady took most of one season to win one Super Bowl, and won 3 in 4 years, and was back in year 6, albeit with a busted foot, so what great QB needs 8 years?  Peyton?  Favre?  I think only Bradshaw won 4 in 6 years and Troy Aikman won 3 in 4 years.

Sunday we get to see if Brees or Peyton is even worthy of the list.  But even winning one doesn't make you great, just ask Eli.  If Peyton chokes, we'll put him in the Dan Marino category. 

For pure excitement and precision passing, I never saw anybody like Dan Marino and the M&M's, but he never won the big one, so he can't be considered greatest. 

Take a look at how many mediocre receivers Brady has had to work with until Moss & Welker came along, and with the exception of Corey Dillon, he had no outstanding running backs either. 

Brady had an off year, which could be attributed to his taking the previous season off, and ended only 102 yards shy of Peyton (4500), who is being billed as the Second Coming on his stats. 

Longevity records like Favre's show good genes, and good fortune more than greatness.  Its winning the big ones that show greatness. 
not at all i couldn't disagree more. So is ben rothlesberger better than Peyton Manning in your opinion?
is Matt Light a better OT than Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, because he won 3 superbowls and the other only won 1? Was Barry Sanders not any good because he never won a superbowl? Was Kevin Faulk better because he did?
your logic is very difficult to follow
Favre, Brett  
#57 | 1639 days ago

Pat wrote:
By any and every standard imaginable, Tom Brady is better than Brett Favre. There's really no getting around it. You can sit there and say that Brett has more of this and more of that, but the simple fact is that he has played for far longer than anyone else we're talking about. That doesn't make him better, it just means he played longer.
ROFLMFAO!  you ask for a stat any stat that makes Farve better than Manning, and when I give one you switch from Manning to Brady.

I would have thought your skills on here would have matured.

nice job of moving the goal posts (NOT!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalpost

LOLOLOL same ole Pat.
Favre, Brett  
#58 | 1639 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
ROFLMFAO!  you ask for a stat any stat that makes Farve better than Manning, and when I give one you switch from Manning to Brady.

I would have thought your skills on here would have matured.

nice job of moving the goal posts (NOT!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalpost

LOLOLOL same ole Pat.
Your stat didn't even make Favre better than Manning, for starters. Also, I addressed Manning again in my next comment.

Also, by your own confession in comment #59, Super Bowls do not make one player better than the other. So you really have yet to make a single valid point.

If I were to move the proverbial goalposts, I would need to move them closer to you, just to give you a chance to find them, because you're pretty off base right now.
Montana, Joe  
#59 | 1639 days ago

Pat wrote:
Your stat didn't even make Favre better than Manning, for starters. Also, I addressed Manning again in my next comment.

Also, by your own confession in comment #59, Super Bowls do not make one player better than the other. So you really have yet to make a single valid point.

If I were to move the proverbial goalposts, I would need to move them closer to you, just to give you a chance to find them, because you're pretty off base right now.
brett farve
#60 | 1639 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
not at all i couldn't disagree more. So is ben rothlesberger better than Peyton Manning in your opinion?
is Matt Light a better OT than Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, because he won 3 superbowls and the other only won 1? Was Barry Sanders not any good because he never won a superbowl? Was Kevin Faulk better because he did?
your logic is very difficult to follow
Going head to head, Brady's Patriots beat Brees Chargers, Big Ben's  Steelers, and Peyton's Colts throughout the past decade.

Brees (and River's) Chargers beat Peyton's Colts.

Ben's Steelers beat Peyton's Colts.

But Peyton is 1-1 against the Jets in the playoffs during the past decade. 

But the Brady haters can't accept he is possibly the best of all time.
Montana, Joe  
#61 | 1639 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
Going head to head, Brady's Patriots beat Brees Chargers, Big Ben's  Steelers, and Peyton's Colts throughout the past decade.

Brees (and River's) Chargers beat Peyton's Colts.

Ben's Steelers beat Peyton's Colts.

But Peyton is 1-1 against the Jets in the playoffs during the past decade. 

But the Brady haters can't accept he is possibly the best of all time.
You can't define a player's career based on the fact that he lost to or beat a certain team once or twice so your point doesn't have much merit
Manning, Peyton  
#62 | 1638 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
ROFLMFAO!  you ask for a stat any stat that makes Farve better than Manning, and when I give one you switch from Manning to Brady.

I would have thought your skills on here would have matured.

nice job of moving the goal posts (NOT!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalpost

LOLOLOL same ole Pat.
you are delusional. you can try and strawman me all you want to but telling me what I am saying doesn't work, take me out of context if it makes you feel better.
how long did it take for manning (peyton, we all know eli only took 3 years) to win a championship? how long did it take brett? that was in respose to brett and peyton on a time period, and peyton doing everything better.

if it was about longevity instead of greatness we would be talking about Vinny Testaverde.
Favre, Brett  
#63 | 1638 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
Going head to head, Brady's Patriots beat Brees Chargers, Big Ben's  Steelers, and Peyton's Colts throughout the past decade.

Brees (and River's) Chargers beat Peyton's Colts.

Ben's Steelers beat Peyton's Colts.

But Peyton is 1-1 against the Jets in the playoffs during the past decade. 

But the Brady haters can't accept he is possibly the best of all time.
so you can't defend your logic then?  you replied to my questions with some side-stepping comment about Brady and his teams for the deceade and who beats who.  side step all you want your logic is flawed.

is kevin faulk a better running back than barry sanders just because he won 3 super bowls?  I would guess that you may say yes, but you are avoiding answering it because the question is rediculous to consider that K. Faulk could even hold a candle to B. Sanders.  but if you take a player with only one playoff victory over your 3 time super bowl winner then the rest of your logic is in question on players of other positions like your beloved QB.

Is Charles Haley one of the best linebackers ever because he won 5 super bowls?  better than HOF Mike Singletary who won 1SB, better than HOF Lawrence Taylor who won 2SBs, better than HOF Dick Butkus who won 0SBs?  your logic makes me think he is, but reality make me think something else.

I do know one thing: Brady's Pats couldn't beat Eli's Giants...ZING!
Favre, Brett  
#64 | 1638 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
I think you have the wrong name when you're saying Ben Roethlisberger will "re-write the history books." There are two QB's playing today that will do that.  Brett Favre has already done it and Peyton Manning is well on his way to passing Favre in every passing category.  Big Ben is a solid QB in the NFL but he is no where near any of the greats and never will be.  If you wanted to take a homer pick you should have at least said Bradshaw so that you have a legitimate argument here.

 

Terry was an awesome QB and he had one of the best sets of offensive weapons a QB could ever have. Swann, Stallworth, Bleier,  and Franco. Big Ben has picked up two rings with a marginal offensive unit.
Roethlisberger, Ben  
#65 | 1638 days ago

Define "elite quarterback". There is no way you can even come close to a definition the would not include the qualifications already met and surpassed by the starting quarterbacks from the ONLY TEAM to win 6 Superbowl Rings.
Roethlisberger, Ben  
#66 | 1638 days ago

wiccansocialworker wrote:
Define "elite quarterback". There is no way you can even come close to a definition the would not include the qualifications already met and surpassed by the starting quarterbacks from the ONLY TEAM to win 6 Superbowl Rings.
That's ridiculous. The team winning championships says nothing about their QB's in particular. It is the play of the individual that determines how good the individual player is. Team success is the product of MANY individuals coming together, not just the QB.
Montana, Joe  
#67 | 1638 days ago

(Edited by elevenbravo138again)
heatmisl wrote:
Surprised Sammy Baugh isn't up there. He was athlete wise for sure. In a time when the sport and positions were still being defined.  I sapose most everybody who saw him play in the day is either dead or has altimers (old timers) Its a personal and family thing for me sorry if it offends anyone. Wasn't my intention or even negitivly ment in any sort of way.
Thank you for pointing that out and how could halfback Paul Hornung,  [who was a QB in the same sense that Tom Matte was], be on the list and Warren Moon is not!?   Manning and Favre would be chasing and breaking his records if not for the 5 years he lost to prejudice when he was forced to play in the CFL.  
#68 | 1638 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
You can't define a player's career based on the fact that he lost to or beat a certain team once or twice so your point doesn't have much merit
No, but when it is done consistently throughout a decade, it does.
Montana, Joe  
#69 | 1638 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
so you can't defend your logic then?  you replied to my questions with some side-stepping comment about Brady and his teams for the deceade and who beats who.  side step all you want your logic is flawed.

is kevin faulk a better running back than barry sanders just because he won 3 super bowls?  I would guess that you may say yes, but you are avoiding answering it because the question is rediculous to consider that K. Faulk could even hold a candle to B. Sanders.  but if you take a player with only one playoff victory over your 3 time super bowl winner then the rest of your logic is in question on players of other positions like your beloved QB.

Is Charles Haley one of the best linebackers ever because he won 5 super bowls?  better than HOF Mike Singletary who won 1SB, better than HOF Lawrence Taylor who won 2SBs, better than HOF Dick Butkus who won 0SBs?  your logic makes me think he is, but reality make me think something else.

I do know one thing: Brady's Pats couldn't beat Eli's Giants...ZING!
Defend your own logic.  Its like debating a 10 year old.  Nah Nah Nah, my QB is better than yours.  Your ridicule is not strengthening your argument.  It merely shows that you are attempting to deflect facts that disagree with your opinion.

Mine is plenty clear, Brady took a team made up of no-names to the SB and won 3 times, Peyton lost predominantly in the first round, and Favre chokes in the big games (how many interceptions did he throw against Eli's Giants?).   Brady won nearly as many games in the '00's as Peyton or Joe Montana's teams in the '80's.  

Now, Brady's Pats did beat Eli's Giants in 2007, just not in the SB.  But as we all know, any team can beat any other any given Sunday.  And if you remember he was in a cast for the two weeks prior to the SB, so its hardly to say they beat a healthy Brady.
Montana, Joe  
#70 | 1638 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
No, but when it is done consistently throughout a decade, it does.
Consistently? You named one game for each
Manning, Peyton  
#71 | 1638 days ago

wiccansocialworker wrote:

 

Terry was an awesome QB and he had one of the best sets of offensive weapons a QB could ever have. Swann, Stallworth, Bleier,  and Franco. Big Ben has picked up two rings with a marginal offensive unit.
Oh really? the Steelers defense and running game didn't carry them to victory in 2004? Big Ben is simply not even close to being the best QB ever he's not even close to being the best QB active right now. This isn't a knock on the guy because he is solid QB in the NFL right now, but come on with Manning, Brady, and Favre playing now and all the other legends that have come before, Big Ben is not even in the conversation.
Manning, Peyton  
#72 | 1638 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
Consistently? You named one game for each
Go back and look at the playoffs in the '00's, you'll see the Pats beat each of those teams at least twice. 
Montana, Joe  
#73 | 1638 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
Go back and look at the playoffs in the '00's, you'll see the Pats beat each of those teams at least twice. 
The Colts have beaten the Pats five out of the last six games they've played, including in January 2007 in the AFC championship game. 
Manning, Peyton  
#74 | 1638 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
The Colts have beaten the Pats five out of the last six games they've played, including in January 2007 in the AFC championship game. 
That's pretty consistent to me.
Manning, Peyton  
#75 | 1637 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
The Colts have beaten the Pats five out of the last six games they've played, including in January 2007 in the AFC championship game. 
And they lost the 6 times before that.  That too was consistent.
Montana, Joe  
#76 | 1637 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
And they lost the 6 times before that.  That too was consistent.
So what exactly is your point? If they've just about split the games they have played against each other, how can Brady be better using your awesome logic?
Manning, Peyton  
#77 | 1636 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
So what exactly is your point? If they've just about split the games they have played against each other, how can Brady be better using your awesome logic?
My logic is, not only did he beat all the names above head to head, he also took home 3 Super Bowls rings, and did it with a constantly changing team.  Imagine how much he could have done if he had Moss and Welker for 10 years.  Peyton had the benefit of at the least, Harrison his entire career.  Even Eli could throw for 50K yards to Harrison. 

The logic that's contorted is that which says Peyton is best or Favre is best because they've thrown for 50/70 K yards.  They've both proven they don't have the ability to win the big one, despite incredible teams surrounding them.  Good quarterbacks roll up numbers, great ones win the big games.  Brady is in rare company with Montana and Bradshaw.  Peyton hasn't proven he can win when it matters.  Favre throws interceptions when it matters.

So what's the convoluted logic saying Peyton is the best?  Marino hit targets better, Brady/Montana/Bradshaw won when it mattered, Favre has more mileage. 
Montana, Joe  
#78 | 1635 days ago

I will say it again..Joe Montana was..Peyton will be
Montana, Joe  
#79 | 1635 days ago

Peyton MAY be...let's see in the Super Bowl!
Montana, Joe  
#80 | 1635 days ago

How do Ben and manning get votes and not waarner and steve young is not on the list
#81 | 1635 days ago

How do Ben and manning get votes and not waarner and steve young is not on the list
#82 | 1635 days ago

jjplynch wrote:
My logic is, not only did he beat all the names above head to head, he also took home 3 Super Bowls rings, and did it with a constantly changing team.  Imagine how much he could have done if he had Moss and Welker for 10 years.  Peyton had the benefit of at the least, Harrison his entire career.  Even Eli could throw for 50K yards to Harrison. 

The logic that's contorted is that which says Peyton is best or Favre is best because they've thrown for 50/70 K yards.  They've both proven they don't have the ability to win the big one, despite incredible teams surrounding them.  Good quarterbacks roll up numbers, great ones win the big games.  Brady is in rare company with Montana and Bradshaw.  Peyton hasn't proven he can win when it matters.  Favre throws interceptions when it matters.

So what's the convoluted logic saying Peyton is the best?  Marino hit targets better, Brady/Montana/Bradshaw won when it mattered, Favre has more mileage. 
Favre and Manning both have a Super Bowl ring so you can't say that they don't know how to win the "big one."  Second Manning is a day away from possibly winning his second Super Bowl.  Third, Manning has never had the team that Brady has had around him.  Last year proved that the Patriots don't necessarily need a star QB to win when Matt Cassel who hadn't started a game since High School led them to an 11-5 record.  Could you imagine Curtis Painter leading the Colts to an 11-5 record? I can't, because it would never happen.  They would struggle to be a .500 team without Manning.  Manning is the Colts.  There has never been a QB asked to do more than Peyton Manning on every snap.  He has done the best of his quarterback work without a good running game in Edgerrin James.  
Manning, Peyton  
#83 | 1634 days ago

imsports2002 wrote:
Favre and Manning both have a Super Bowl ring so you can't say that they don't know how to win the "big one."  Second Manning is a day away from possibly winning his second Super Bowl.  Third, Manning has never had the team that Brady has had around him.  Last year proved that the Patriots don't necessarily need a star QB to win when Matt Cassel who hadn't started a game since High School led them to an 11-5 record.  Could you imagine Curtis Painter leading the Colts to an 11-5 record? I can't, because it would never happen.  They would struggle to be a .500 team without Manning.  Manning is the Colts.  There has never been a QB asked to do more than Peyton Manning on every snap.  He has done the best of his quarterback work without a good running game in Edgerrin James.  
QED  - which was to be proven.

Peyton wasn't even the best QB on the field.  Of course, we can compare him to Favre, he threw a perfect interception to end the Colts hopes. 
Montana, Joe  
#84 | 1634 days ago

(Edited by snoopydawg44us)
Like I said everyone was ready to "Annoit" Peyton Manning as the BEST EVER, and he's the Best sinced Sliced bread,  as you seen tonight (Super Bowl) , he is one of the best ever, best ever in my opinion,"NO"  he is only 9-9 in the Playoffs, and 1-1 in the Super Bowl, whats his AFC Champ Record?  See, we shouldnt be too quick to judge. Let his story play out first and his career is over. To me, Its still Montana.
Montana, Joe  
#85 | 1633 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
so you can't defend your logic then?  you replied to my questions with some side-stepping comment about Brady and his teams for the deceade and who beats who.  side step all you want your logic is flawed.

is kevin faulk a better running back than barry sanders just because he won 3 super bowls?  I would guess that you may say yes, but you are avoiding answering it because the question is rediculous to consider that K. Faulk could even hold a candle to B. Sanders.  but if you take a player with only one playoff victory over your 3 time super bowl winner then the rest of your logic is in question on players of other positions like your beloved QB.

Is Charles Haley one of the best linebackers ever because he won 5 super bowls?  better than HOF Mike Singletary who won 1SB, better than HOF Lawrence Taylor who won 2SBs, better than HOF Dick Butkus who won 0SBs?  your logic makes me think he is, but reality make me think something else.

I do know one thing: Brady's Pats couldn't beat Eli's Giants...ZING!
kinda odd that once the Pats quit taping the practices of thier rivals they are that good anymore, isn't it?
Favre, Brett  
#86 | 1633 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
you are delusional. you can try and strawman me all you want to but telling me what I am saying doesn't work, take me out of context if it makes you feel better.
how long did it take for manning (peyton, we all know eli only took 3 years) to win a championship? how long did it take brett? that was in respose to brett and peyton on a time period, and peyton doing everything better.

if it was about longevity instead of greatness we would be talking about Vinny Testaverde.
hey Pat, Peyton really showed some of that non-farve poise and didn't choke at all last night...oh wait.
Favre, Brett  
#87 | 1633 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
kinda odd that once the Pats quit taping the practices of thier rivals they are that good anymore, isn't it?
Lets see, 2007, 16-0 (that perfect regular season), Super Bowl Loss,

2008, lost their starting QB became 2nd or 3rd team to go 11-5 and not make the playoffs (think the Colts would get so close without Peyton the Magnificent?),

2009, lost all our experienced linebackers, and Richard Seymour, defense rebuilding year. 

How'd your Rams do in those seasons?
Montana, Joe  
#88 | 1633 days ago

Big_Country78 wrote:
kinda odd that once the Pats quit taping the practices of thier rivals they are that good anymore, isn't it?
After getting caught, they won 17 straight games. Also, they were never proven to have videotaped their rivals. Please stop spreading lies.
Montana, Joe  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
NFL**Tennessee Titans**2014 Season Prediction Poll**pt.1
Asked by Michael_G | NFL, TEN, SF | 8 questions asked 06/30/14
48 predictions | Last by bulls5
2014 AFC West Prediction: How will each team in the AFC West finish this season?
Asked by RaiderSteeler15 | NFL | 4 questions asked 07/21/14
24 predictions | Last by Dream_Machine
2014 NFC North Prediction: How will each team in the NFC North finish this season?
Asked by RaiderSteeler15 | NFL | 4 questions asked 07/21/14
20 predictions | Last by Dream_Machine
2014 NFC South Prediction: How will each team in the NFC South finish this season?
Asked by RaiderSteeler15 | NFL | 4 questions asked 07/21/14
20 predictions | Last by Dream_Machine
2014 NFC East Prediction: How will each team in the NFC East finish this season?
Asked by RaiderSteeler15 | NFL | 4 questions asked 07/20/14
20 predictions | Last by Dream_Machine