Skip to Next Poll »
3
Best 3 arm rotation? (Edited 03/09/10 02:22PM by tpowell25)
Lets put all the "homer" picks a side, and not pick a rotation just because you hate that team (red sox, and yankee fans). Lets be 100% honest here and see who the people like..
  • Lets all assume these guy are 100% healthy!!!!!!!!!
| Closed on 06/05/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | MLB | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
25 Fans 
0%a. Angles- E. Santana, Weaver, Saunders
4%b. Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse
0%c. Cubs- Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster
8%d. D'backs- Haren, Webb, E. Jackson
4%e. Dodgers-Kershaw, Billingsley, Kuroda
20%f. Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito
4%g. Mariners- Hernandez, Lee, Snell
0%h. Mets- J. Santana, Pelfrey, Maine
24%i. Philies- Halladay, Hamels, Blanton
0%j. Rays- Shields, Garza, Nieman
0%k. Reds- Harang, Arroyo, Cueto
36%l. Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey
0%m. Yankees- Sabathia, Burnett, Vazquez

  
37 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1505 days ago
ArmyStrong212 (+)

For me its a toss up between the Red Soxs and the Philies... I just believe Lester and lackey are better than Hamels and Blanton!!!

Lets go Rangers!!!
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#2 | 1505 days ago

I think the first 3 for Boston are just nasty and then you add in that Dice K coming back, thats one helluva front 4. Good lineup for sure.
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#3 | 1503 days ago

Wow, if any of these guys have 3 arms, then that must be a sight to see.  Maybe it's Lincecum, because people like to call him the Freak.
Philies- Halladay, Hamels, Blanton  
#4 | 1503 days ago
BDV4U (+)

Under Duncan, I think Penny becomes #3 for the Cards.
Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse  
#5 | 1502 days ago

Sanchez has a very good shot at ultimately moving up to #3 from #4.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#6 | 1502 days ago
Mr_Rogers (+)

The answer is the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Edwin Jackson is getting better each year, and we already know how good Haren and Webb are.  The only thing is if Brandon Webb can return to form this year, if he does i dont think there is a better trio in Baseball.

That being said, it will probably be the Yankees.  
D'backs- Haren, Webb, E. Jackson  
#7 | 1502 days ago

Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd
#8 | 1502 days ago
BDV4U (+)

ML31 wrote:
Sanchez has a very good shot at ultimately moving up to #3 from #4.
Zito's disappearing act after getting all that money is what eliminated them for me.
Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse  
#9 | 1502 days ago
BDV4U (+)

Mr_Rogers wrote:
The answer is the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Edwin Jackson is getting better each year, and we already know how good Haren and Webb are.  The only thing is if Brandon Webb can return to form this year, if he does i dont think there is a better trio in Baseball.

That being said, it will probably be the Yankees.  
Well said. Webb & Haren are huge ifs right now. The potential is certainly there!
Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse  
#10 | 1502 days ago
BDV4U (+)

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd
Peavy needs to prove he's back. Floyd is still not fully tested. The White Sox should be good, but not sure if they are in the running on this list.
Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse  
#11 | 1502 days ago

Figuring that they will all be healthy, the Braves' top 3 pitcher (Hudson, Hanson, and Jurrjens) is a trio that I will compare to anyone right now.  That's a pretty good rotation when Derek Lowe is considered to be your #4.


Of this list, I really like Haren, Webb, and Jackson.  If all 3 of those guys are healthy, that will be a stout rotation.

D'backs- Haren, Webb, E. Jackson  
#12 | 1502 days ago

(Edited by ML31)
BDV4U wrote:
Zito's disappearing act after getting all that money is what eliminated them for me.
True...  But here is a little known fact about Zito's performance after signing the outrageous contract....  His 2nd half of each season has been good.  It was his monsterous first halves that make his numbers look terrible.  And each of his three seasons, his first half has gotten a bit better.  One can only hope that trend continues into 2010.  But until Zito actually does that, I still say Sanchez is better than Zito, and would place him as the #3 starter.  And that is who I used for #3 in this poll.  If I used Zito, I would have gone with the Cardinal threesome.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#13 | 1501 days ago
ArmyStrong212 (+)

ML31 wrote:
True...  But here is a little known fact about Zito's performance after signing the outrageous contract....  His 2nd half of each season has been good.  It was his monsterous first halves that make his numbers look terrible.  And each of his three seasons, his first half has gotten a bit better.  One can only hope that trend continues into 2010.  But until Zito actually does that, I still say Sanchez is better than Zito, and would place him as the #3 starter.  And that is who I used for #3 in this poll.  If I used Zito, I would have gone with the Cardinal threesome.
Giants??? the only reason i put them on the list is because of Lincecum... but Zito it probably the most overrated/paid pitcher inthe last 20 years!!!
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#14 | 1501 days ago

ArmyStrong212 wrote:
Giants??? the only reason i put them on the list is because of Lincecum... but Zito it probably the most overrated/paid pitcher inthe last 20 years!!!
I can't argue with Zito being overpaid.  But even with Zito as the #3 guy (And I consider him the #4 guy) that rotation is if not the best is among the best in the majors. 

But Red Sox?  You never know what you get with Beckett...  Lester has been good in his very short career and Lackey sucks.  The only reason he had a lot of wins recently was because he played for a team that scored a lot of runs.  Beckett is quite possibly the most overrated pitcher in the Majors.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#15 | 1501 days ago
ArmyStrong212 (+)

ML31 wrote:
I can't argue with Zito being overpaid.  But even with Zito as the #3 guy (And I consider him the #4 guy) that rotation is if not the best is among the best in the majors. 

But Red Sox?  You never know what you get with Beckett...  Lester has been good in his very short career and Lackey sucks.  The only reason he had a lot of wins recently was because he played for a team that scored a lot of runs.  Beckett is quite possibly the most overrated pitcher in the Majors.
and Lackey sucks at Fenway!!! i just think Beckett and Lester are the 2nd best 1-2 punch behind Halladay and Hamels and Lackey is miles better than Blanton!!!
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#16 | 1501 days ago

ArmyStrong212 wrote:
and Lackey sucks at Fenway!!! i just think Beckett and Lester are the 2nd best 1-2 punch behind Halladay and Hamels and Lackey is miles better than Blanton!!!
If you want to go #1 and 2, then it's Lincecum and Cain hands down.  No one has a better top two than them.
IMHO, Becket and Lester are better than Halladay and Hamels.  Hamels is just not good.  He had a good post season once, but that doesn't make him a top pitcher.  Halladay is light years better than Hamels AND Becket combined.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#17 | 1500 days ago
ArmyStrong212 (+)

ML31 wrote:
If you want to go #1 and 2, then it's Lincecum and Cain hands down.  No one has a better top two than them.
IMHO, Becket and Lester are better than Halladay and Hamels.  Hamels is just not good.  He had a good post season once, but that doesn't make him a top pitcher.  Halladay is light years better than Hamels AND Becket combined.
Matt Cain is GARBAGE!!!
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#18 | 1500 days ago

There is no arguement here fellas!  It's The Red Sox rotation hands down!

Forget Best 3-Man!  The Sox probably have the best solid complete rotation in the Majors.

Besides the Big 3 of Beckett-Lackey-Lester, the Sox have Dice K, Bucholtz, and Tim Wakefield on the backend of the deepest rotation in the Big Leagues!  If that isn't enough, they also have Michael Bowden that can also step in and be a solid contributor to the rotation.

Now all they have to do is go out there and win games when it counts!  As for what I have seen so far this Spring, I am very impressed with how the pitching is looking so far!
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#19 | 1500 days ago

ArmyStrong212 wrote:
Matt Cain is GARBAGE!!!
Don't mince words...  What do you REALLY think?
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#20 | 1500 days ago

LLUmpJimWard wrote:
There is no arguement here fellas!  It's The Red Sox rotation hands down!

Forget Best 3-Man!  The Sox probably have the best solid complete rotation in the Majors.

Besides the Big 3 of Beckett-Lackey-Lester, the Sox have Dice K, Bucholtz, and Tim Wakefield on the backend of the deepest rotation in the Big Leagues!  If that isn't enough, they also have Michael Bowden that can also step in and be a solid contributor to the rotation.

Now all they have to do is go out there and win games when it counts!  As for what I have seen so far this Spring, I am very impressed with how the pitching is looking so far!
Can't be.  Beckett is the most over rated pitcher in the Majors.  He has had good years and mediocre years.  Lester has potential and Lackey sucks.  Wakefield as a knuckleballer is so frost and fire that you just can't rely on him for anything more than eating up innings.    Sorry.   I think your personal Red Sox bias is shining through here. 
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#21 | 1500 days ago
Blonde_Kitten (+)

Don't watch baseball... Just picked my home team....
Mariners- Hernandez, Lee, Snell  
#22 | 1500 days ago
Mr_Rogers (+)

ArmyStrong212 wrote:
Matt Cain is GARBAGE!!!
How do you figure??  Because of his W-L record?   He plays for the sht Giants and gets no run support.    Check the stats again, Matt Cain is sick and is UNDERATED.
D'backs- Haren, Webb, E. Jackson  
#23 | 1500 days ago

Mr_Rogers wrote:
How do you figure??  Because of his W-L record?   He plays for the sht Giants and gets no run support.    Check the stats again, Matt Cain is sick and is UNDERATED.
I can't even tell you how many times he gave up only 2 or less runs and LOST.  The team just can't score runs.

And before last year, the bull pen blew a lot of games for him as well.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#24 | 1499 days ago
BDV4U (+)

He lost games, but he slewed Abel!
Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse  
#25 | 1499 days ago
ArmyStrong212 (+)

(Edited by ArmyStrong212)
Thats my story and i am sticking to it
Red Soxs- Beckett, Lester, Lackey  
#26 | 1498 days ago
Sherry63 (+)

YES HIGH FIVE!
#27 | 1456 days ago

for me its the cardinals carp,wain,lohse. pitching coach duncan always puts together a great staff from 1 to closer. we dont blow you away with k's and 99 mph heat but we walk few and when there are 2 strikes all three have a big looping curves to put you away.not to mention 2 pitchers were finalist for the cy young! those guys will have atleast 50 wins between them this season and for the next few years.
#28 | 1415 days ago
vindog (+)

If you replaced Vasquez of the Yankees with Andy Pettitte (who IS their 3rd starter) or Phil Hughes- the Yankees would get my vote. Most of these rotations are very close though so I went with the Phillies mainly because of Halladays dominance in the NL.
Philies- Halladay, Hamels, Blanton  
#29 | 1415 days ago

ArmyStrong212 wrote:
Matt Cain is GARBAGE!!!
 Are you retarded or just an insolent troll?
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#30 | 1415 days ago

 The best 1-3 is Lincecum, Cain and Zito.

Lincecum and Cain are both All-Stars, and Zito is back to his old self. Look at the numbers. Joe Blanton is trash, he is nothing compared to Zito. The Red Sox rotation is a close second, as Beckett and Lackey are not quite what they used to be.

Cain is the most underrated pitcher in Major League Baseball. He flat out dominates. his ERA is around 2.30 this year. 

People who still don't understand that Wins/Losses have more to do with the offense than the pitcher should be banned from posting on MLB threads.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#31 | 1415 days ago

If we are to consider performance this year only (which would, I recognize, be an exceedingly silly condition), we've at least to mention the Blue Jays, who are the only club to have two starters (Romero and Marcum) with at least two WAR and one of just two with two starters with sub-3.20 FIPs, and who have two acceptable three/four guys (Cecil and Morrow).  One can't expect that any of them is going to continue to play as he has thus far, but for now Toronto is a legit choice here.
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#32 | 1415 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd
How funny that looks now, huh?
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#33 | 1414 days ago
vindog (+)

bayareabeast21 wrote:
 The best 1-3 is Lincecum, Cain and Zito.

Lincecum and Cain are both All-Stars, and Zito is back to his old self. Look at the numbers. Joe Blanton is trash, he is nothing compared to Zito. The Red Sox rotation is a close second, as Beckett and Lackey are not quite what they used to be.

Cain is the most underrated pitcher in Major League Baseball. He flat out dominates. his ERA is around 2.30 this year. 

People who still don't understand that Wins/Losses have more to do with the offense than the pitcher should be banned from posting on MLB threads.
All I can say to that is that you can flap your wings all you want, but BOTH Pettitte and Hughes of the Yankees have a BETTER ERA and a BETTER record than Linecum- enough said!
Philies- Halladay, Hamels, Blanton  
#34 | 1414 days ago

vindog wrote:
All I can say to that is that you can flap your wings all you want, but BOTH Pettitte and Hughes of the Yankees have a BETTER ERA and a BETTER record than Linecum- enough said!
 You are trying to say that they are better than Lincecum. Thats just about the funniest damn thing Ive ever heard! I'm not "flapping my wings", actually I am holding onto my sides from excessive laughter!

 Trying to compare HUGHES AND PETITE TO TIM LINCECUM
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#35 | 1414 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
bayareabeast21 wrote:
 You are trying to say that they are better than Lincecum. Thats just about the funniest damn thing Ive ever heard! I'm not "flapping my wings", actually I am holding onto my sides from excessive laughter!

 Trying to compare HUGHES AND PETITE TO TIM LINCECUM
No what I am saying is that the Yankees #3 AND #5 pitchers in their rotation actually have BETTER stats than the Giants #1 this year so far- and they have pitched against better lineups as well. So maybe-just maybe- Linecum is actually human and NOT the best pitcher in MLB this season?  There ARE also 32 other STARTING PITCHERS in MLB this season that have a lower ERA than Linecum as well......just a thought
Philies- Halladay, Hamels, Blanton  
#36 | 1414 days ago

vindog wrote:
All I can say to that is that you can flap your wings all you want, but BOTH Pettitte and Hughes of the Yankees have a BETTER ERA and a BETTER record than Linecum- enough said!
One cannot doubt that Hughes is legit--his peripherals confirm his performance, and he will become an ace in the forthcoming years (something about which, inasmuch as I have him in two keeper leagues, I am very happy)--but Pettitte's numbers follow from a BABIP fully 50 points below his career average, and, inasmuch as he's not benefiting from a defense that is much better than those in front of which he's pitched in the past, he's going, absent divine intervention (in which neither of us believes), to regress to the level that ZiPS projects for him for the rest of the season (4.10 FIP, 1.39 WHIP), such that one cannot sustain an argument that he's been better than Lincecum in this year alone unless he/she relies on some summary stats the emptiness of which will become clear in the next months.  
Giants- Lincecum, Cain, Zito  
#37 | 1414 days ago
BDV4U (+)

BDV4U wrote:
Under Duncan, I think Penny becomes #3 for the Cards.
Before his injury, Brad was starting to prove me right. But what about Garcia stepping up to make the Cardinals 3-some awesome?
Card's- Wainwright, Carpenter, Lohse  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak*4/22
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, SF, BOS | 3 questions asked Today
3 predictions | Last by JenX63
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak*4/21
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, SF, BOS | 3 questions asked Yesterday
27 predictions | 1 comment | Last by jdk1948
AL Pitchers Individual Over/Under - 4/20
Asked by Scott | MLB, STL | 14 questions asked Yesterday
28 predictions | Last by jdk1948 | 17 hours left
NL Pitchers Individual Over/Under - 4/20
Asked by Scott | MLB, STL | 16 questions asked Yesterday
32 predictions | Last by jdk1948 | 17 hours left
Miami Marlins @ Atlanta Braves 4/22/2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | MLB, ATL, MIA | 10 questions asked Today
0 predictions | Last by -