Skip to Next Poll »
5
Who do you think will be named this years NBA MVP? (Edited 04/03/10 06:37AM by Scott)
LeBron is doing it again... Averaging 25-7-7 for the fourth straight year and leading the CAVS to the leagues best record.

Kobe has begun to assert himself in the Laker's looker room and has hit six (6) buzzer beaters this year.

D-Wade has struggled with injury; but, the youngster, Kevin Durant has the suprising OKC Thunder on a roll and headed for the playoffs.

Who will be the 2010 NBA MVP.  

I have listed the top 15 NBA players ranked by efficiency rating  (as of: March 11, 2010; source: NBA.com) and all of the 2010 NBA All-stars.

List the top three vote getters.

| Closed on 04/11/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | NBA, Cleveland Cavaliers, Los Angeles Lakers | Opinion List
Teams:  Dallas Mavericks
Team Breakout:
Rank40 FansAvg (1st)
1.LeBron James , CLE 2.8 (32)
2.Kobe Bryant , LAL 1.4 (5)
3.Kevin Durant , OKC 1.3 (2)
Also receiving votes:Dwyane Wade , MIA 0.1
Carmelo Anthony , DEN 0.1 (1)
Dwight Howard , ORL 0.1
Dirk Nowitzki , DAL 0.1
Brandon Roy, POR0.1
Tim Duncan , SAS 0.0
Steve Nash, PHO0.0

  
23 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1686 days ago

Looks like I picked the same as most everybody else so far... 
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#2 | 1685 days ago

There's no doubt anymore that it will be Lebron. Kobe is always in the discussion. Nash deserves some credit for the season he is putting together too, especially at his age.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Steve Nash, PHO  
#3 | 1684 days ago

The scary thing about LeBron and Durant is that they are 25 and 23 years old. These two will be the face of the NBA for the next 10 years.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#4 | 1682 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
The scary thing about LeBron and Durant is that they are 25 and 23 years old. These two will be the face of the NBA for the next 10 years.
My thoughts exactly!
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#5 | 1671 days ago

If Lebron doesn't win unanimously, the process is broken. I know there may be at least one homer fool, but still.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. Kobe Bryant , LAL   
#6 | 1671 days ago

marcus_nyce wrote:
If Lebron doesn't win unanimously, the process is broken. I know there may be at least one homer fool, but still.
the process has been broken...besides one of Nash's years, most mvp's win the award in the year. Popularity wins that trophy most of the time.

...and yeah, the correct answer is Durant or James....but MY ANSWER IS.................you already know......wait for it......Kobe Bryant!
1. Kobe Bryant , LAL   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. LeBron James , CLE   
#7 | 1671 days ago

Popularity actually has very little to do with the award.

For all of the Durant, Wade, Bosh and D-Will fans out there...

The award is usually given to the best player on the team with one of the two best conference records. Additionally, 55 wins is usually the mark needed to secure the decisive vote. I have said this before and people continue to make these type of posts. This is not opinion but fact. Don't believe me? Check the stats yourself.

Going back to the 1979-1980 season (the last 30 years) only three players have won the league MVP without this being the case.  

       Jordon, 1987-1988, Chicago Bulls, 50-32, 7th overall record in the NBA, 3rd overall record in the Eastern conference.
       Moses Malone, 1981-1982, Houston Rockets, 46-36, 9th overall record in the NBA, 6rd overall record in the Western conference.
        Erving, 1980-1981, Philadelphia 76'ers, 62-20, 3rd overall record in the NBA, 3rd overall record in the Eastern conference.

I could have gone back and listed the only other two time this happened going back to the beginning of the league; but I think I make my point. Unless you really want to debate about Oscar Robertson's Bucks being a 4th seed in the East or the fact that in the year that he averaged a triple double he actually did not win the award, Chamberlian did (his 50/20 year).  So with this established Wade and Bosh are defiantely on the outside looking in based on the fact that their teams are fighting for the last playoff spot.

Durant has an outside shot because many "experts" didn't have the Thunder in the playoffs. So much Like LeBron during his early yeras he will get consideration (votes) based upon the merits of his team's success. D-Will will garner less consideration because of his team and his coach.

For all of the Kobe, Howard, and Melo fans out there...

Your teams all definately meet the criteria that the voters look for but, while each team has had injuries the fact that the CAVS lost both point gaurds, within days of each other, and went on a 13 game win streak and then lost both of their centers, within days of each other, and went 13-1 and maintain the best record in the league, is enough to sway even the biggest homer.

Howard defeinately does not get the credit that he deserves. But part of that is his personality.

Kobe called his teamates "soft" after a beating at the hands of the CAVS.

Melo a .500 road mark hurts you.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#8 | 1671 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
Popularity actually has very little to do with the award.

For all of the Durant, Wade, Bosh and D-Will fans out there...

The award is usually given to the best player on the team with one of the two best conference records. Additionally, 55 wins is usually the mark needed to secure the decisive vote. I have said this before and people continue to make these type of posts. This is not opinion but fact. Don't believe me? Check the stats yourself.

Going back to the 1979-1980 season (the last 30 years) only three players have won the league MVP without this being the case.  

       Jordon, 1987-1988, Chicago Bulls, 50-32, 7th overall record in the NBA, 3rd overall record in the Eastern conference.
       Moses Malone, 1981-1982, Houston Rockets, 46-36, 9th overall record in the NBA, 6rd overall record in the Western conference.
        Erving, 1980-1981, Philadelphia 76'ers, 62-20, 3rd overall record in the NBA, 3rd overall record in the Eastern conference.

I could have gone back and listed the only other two time this happened going back to the beginning of the league; but I think I make my point. Unless you really want to debate about Oscar Robertson's Bucks being a 4th seed in the East or the fact that in the year that he averaged a triple double he actually did not win the award, Chamberlian did (his 50/20 year).  So with this established Wade and Bosh are defiantely on the outside looking in based on the fact that their teams are fighting for the last playoff spot.

Durant has an outside shot because many "experts" didn't have the Thunder in the playoffs. So much Like LeBron during his early yeras he will get consideration (votes) based upon the merits of his team's success. D-Will will garner less consideration because of his team and his coach.

For all of the Kobe, Howard, and Melo fans out there...

Your teams all definately meet the criteria that the voters look for but, while each team has had injuries the fact that the CAVS lost both point gaurds, within days of each other, and went on a 13 game win streak and then lost both of their centers, within days of each other, and went 13-1 and maintain the best record in the league, is enough to sway even the biggest homer.

Howard defeinately does not get the credit that he deserves. But part of that is his personality.

Kobe called his teamates "soft" after a beating at the hands of the CAVS.

Melo a .500 road mark hurts you.
popularity has everything to do with it. but i wont get into it simply because i've done this on here already. MVP may mean something different to me. Some say most valuable to the team, some say most valuable to the league, some say it's all about the stats, and other say not stats alone. I actually dont like the fact that you probably wont win league mvp if your team doesnt make it passed the first round of the playoffs.  I didnt read all that you wrote because i'm too tired to get into today. so, in short, I dont agree with what the MVP is based on because i doubt that all of the voters are using the same standard.
1. Kobe Bryant , LAL   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. LeBron James , CLE   
#9 | 1671 days ago

Kurt Rambis!
#10 | 1671 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
popularity has everything to do with it. but i wont get into it simply because i've done this on here already. MVP may mean something different to me. Some say most valuable to the team, some say most valuable to the league, some say it's all about the stats, and other say not stats alone. I actually dont like the fact that you probably wont win league mvp if your team doesnt make it passed the first round of the playoffs.  I didnt read all that you wrote because i'm too tired to get into today. so, in short, I dont agree with what the MVP is based on because i doubt that all of the voters are using the same standard.
Honestly... should a player be considered for the MVP if his team is not in a position to advance past the first round of the playoffs? (By the way all votes must be in on the Wednesday prior to the end of the season so performances in the playoffs have nothing to do with the voting.)

Each voter is asked to consider all of the factors that you mentioned; (Individual stats, team record, value to the league as a whole, value to his franchise) and the first two, not in that order, are considered most.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#11 | 1671 days ago

The_Real_Stoney wrote:
Kurt Rambis!
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#12 | 1671 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
Honestly... should a player be considered for the MVP if his team is not in a position to advance past the first round of the playoffs? (By the way all votes must be in on the Wednesday prior to the end of the season so performances in the playoffs have nothing to do with the voting.)

Each voter is asked to consider all of the factors that you mentioned; (Individual stats, team record, value to the league as a whole, value to his franchise) and the first two, not in that order, are considered most.

i know when the votes are in, thanks though. and i'm also usually dead on about who's making it passed the first round, so i figure if i can figure it out, so can the voters (experts). and all of those things are not considered by each voter. You can tell a juror to ignore some sh*t that was said in court and stricken from the record, but the judge knows damn well that that is virtually impossible. Personal feelings, love, admiration for individual players influence the voting. Everyone who loves basketball has favorite players, it's a simple as that. It's the all-star process narrowed down to one.

1. Kobe Bryant , LAL   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. LeBron James , CLE   
#13 | 1671 days ago

"the all-star process narrowed down to one"

You couldn't really mean that. The all star voting is conducted by fans who for the large part have never played a single organized game of basketball. Allen Iverson was voted an all-star starter for goodness sakes. He only played 17 more NBA games than you or I have this season. I'm also sure that you understand that the most talented players wind up being the most popular.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#14 | 1671 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
"the all-star process narrowed down to one"

You couldn't really mean that. The all star voting is conducted by fans who for the large part have never played a single organized game of basketball. Allen Iverson was voted an all-star starter for goodness sakes. He only played 17 more NBA games than you or I have this season. I'm also sure that you understand that the most talented players wind up being the most popular.
HEY! Allen Iverson is an all-star in my mind. LOL.  and the fact that you are incredulous that i compared two, is EXACTLY my point. The MVP voters do the same thing that the ridiculous gen pop does every year. It's the same thing in my mind, completely flawed.


and stop it. This is why i didnt want to talk about it. I'm out.
1. Kobe Bryant , LAL   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. LeBron James , CLE   
#15 | 1671 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
the process has been broken...besides one of Nash's years, most mvp's win the award in the year. Popularity wins that trophy most of the time.

...and yeah, the correct answer is Durant or James....but MY ANSWER IS.................you already know......wait for it......Kobe Bryant!
I think as long as he's leading the Lakers to top seeds and titles, he's going to be in the mix.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. Kobe Bryant , LAL   
#16 | 1659 days ago

LBJ, Kobe, KD
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#17 | 1659 days ago

I am a Kobe guy and feel with all his injuries and what he still does its truly amazing.  I'd rather see Durant get it over LeBron because look at what he's doing compared to LeBron.  This year's voting reminds me of how they gave it to Nash when clearly Kobe should have gotten it.  They just didn't want to give it to him in my opinion.  Kobe was the clear cut MVP until he hurt that finger, period with Carmello a close second.  The NBA, ESPN and sports reporters are all riding LeBron's Hanes and it makes me sick.  What ever happened to earning it?  I can only imagine if /when he wins they will ask the President to make it a national holiday!  lol

1. Kevin Durant , OKC   2. LeBron James , CLE   3. Kobe Bryant , LAL   
#18 | 1659 days ago

workoutwarrior9 wrote:

I am a Kobe guy and feel with all his injuries and what he still does its truly amazing.  I'd rather see Durant get it over LeBron because look at what he's doing compared to LeBron.  This year's voting reminds me of how they gave it to Nash when clearly Kobe should have gotten it.  They just didn't want to give it to him in my opinion.  Kobe was the clear cut MVP until he hurt that finger, period with Carmello a close second.  The NBA, ESPN and sports reporters are all riding LeBron's Hanes and it makes me sick.  What ever happened to earning it?  I can only imagine if /when he wins they will ask the President to make it a national holiday!  lol

Dude, Kobe is a great player; but statistical his season is no where close to LeBron's and neither is Durant's. There is a handy little feature on nba.com that allows you to look at a players currents stats side by side with any other player. You might want to check it out. While I have no problem with fans of other cities having a personal dislike for LeBron to mischaracterize his season is irresponsible.

As  far as Nash's second MVP season there were national writers from both coast saying that either LeBron or Kobe could have been more serious contenders if it were not for the records of their teams. As I have explained already in great detail MVP voters are swayed by the record and standings of the candidates teams. If you go back and look at the final standings from that season you can clearly see why Nash was awarded the trophy.

Lastly, while I agree with you statement about Kobe and Carmello prior to the injury; it happens. Injuries are part of the game; and for 'Melo's part he did not sustain the productivity he put up early in the season. LeBron has clearly earned it. Both point guards go out with injury within 24 hours. No problem 13 game win streak. Trade one center and the other breaks his thumb, no problem 13-1 (with the 1 loss being a game LBJ sat out). That is what an MVP does he carries his team.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#19 | 1659 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
Dude, Kobe is a great player; but statistical his season is no where close to LeBron's and neither is Durant's. There is a handy little feature on nba.com that allows you to look at a players currents stats side by side with any other player. You might want to check it out. While I have no problem with fans of other cities having a personal dislike for LeBron to mischaracterize his season is irresponsible.

As  far as Nash's second MVP season there were national writers from both coast saying that either LeBron or Kobe could have been more serious contenders if it were not for the records of their teams. As I have explained already in great detail MVP voters are swayed by the record and standings of the candidates teams. If you go back and look at the final standings from that season you can clearly see why Nash was awarded the trophy.

Lastly, while I agree with you statement about Kobe and Carmello prior to the injury; it happens. Injuries are part of the game; and for 'Melo's part he did not sustain the productivity he put up early in the season. LeBron has clearly earned it. Both point guards go out with injury within 24 hours. No problem 13 game win streak. Trade one center and the other breaks his thumb, no problem 13-1 (with the 1 loss being a game LBJ sat out). That is what an MVP does he carries his team.
It will be Lebron
#20 | 1658 days ago
ArmyStrong212 (+)

I think James, but Durant is right there, and it will be closer than most think!!! But James wins because of the record
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Dirk Nowitzki , DAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#21 | 1658 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
Dude, Kobe is a great player; but statistical his season is no where close to LeBron's and neither is Durant's. There is a handy little feature on nba.com that allows you to look at a players currents stats side by side with any other player. You might want to check it out. While I have no problem with fans of other cities having a personal dislike for LeBron to mischaracterize his season is irresponsible.

As  far as Nash's second MVP season there were national writers from both coast saying that either LeBron or Kobe could have been more serious contenders if it were not for the records of their teams. As I have explained already in great detail MVP voters are swayed by the record and standings of the candidates teams. If you go back and look at the final standings from that season you can clearly see why Nash was awarded the trophy.

Lastly, while I agree with you statement about Kobe and Carmello prior to the injury; it happens. Injuries are part of the game; and for 'Melo's part he did not sustain the productivity he put up early in the season. LeBron has clearly earned it. Both point guards go out with injury within 24 hours. No problem 13 game win streak. Trade one center and the other breaks his thumb, no problem 13-1 (with the 1 loss being a game LBJ sat out). That is what an MVP does he carries his team.
i accidently respected you. you owe me one.


oh...but isn't Durant carrying his team, I've been arguing with people for years about whether Kobe is all the Lakers have, so doesn't he carry that team, did AI not carry Philly, and despite some obvious talent, the Suns would be nowhere without Amare, and what are the Magic really without Dwight?I dont think Jerry West ever won, and i'm pretty sure he carried his team at one point. I'm done, i'm just saying if the MVP should be the one who "carries his team", then several of the past winners ARE suspect, including the year Nash won and it should've been Kobe.
1. Kobe Bryant , LAL   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. LeBron James , CLE   
#22 | 1658 days ago

(Edited by ojekeme1)
kobe_lova wrote:
i accidently respected you. you owe me one.


oh...but isn't Durant carrying his team, I've been arguing with people for years about whether Kobe is all the Lakers have, so doesn't he carry that team, did AI not carry Philly, and despite some obvious talent, the Suns would be nowhere without Amare, and what are the Magic really without Dwight?I dont think Jerry West ever won, and i'm pretty sure he carried his team at one point. I'm done, i'm just saying if the MVP should be the one who "carries his team", then several of the past winners ARE suspect, including the year Nash won and it should've been Kobe.
Ashlie, you know I've always got respect for you.

To your point AI got an MVP in Philly the year that he took them to the finals. I like Amare's game but without Nash serving him up all those dimes would he be as good? I am pretty sure I made the same point about Howard on the all NBA Team poll. As for West... his problem was playing in the generation that he did. Chamberlain and Russell basically traded the award during the 60's and for good reason; Russell did have 9 championships during the decade and Chamberlain, well the name speaks for itself.
1. LeBron James , CLE   2. Kobe Bryant , LAL   3. Kevin Durant , OKC   
#23 | 1658 days ago

ojekeme1 wrote:
Ashlie, you know I've always got respect for you.

To your point AI got an MVP in Philly the year that he took them to the finals. I like Amare's game but without Nash serving him up all those dimes would he be as good? I am pretty sure I made the same point about Howard on the all NBA Team poll. As for West... his problem was playing in the generation that he did. Chamberlain and Russell basically traded the award during the 60's and for good reason; Russell did have 9 championships during the decade and Chamberlain, well the name speaks for itself.
i mostly agree, but AI carried the team the ENTIRE time he was there. He should be a multiple winner ,based on THAT criteria, i mean. As for Amare, yeah he has Nash but truthfully would he be any less of a monster if he was getting that ball from Deron Williams, Chris Paul, J Kidd, Tony Parker...i dont think so. It couldnt be your average PG, not at all, but...
1. Kobe Bryant , LAL   2. Kevin Durant , OKC   3. LeBron James , CLE   

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends