Skip to Next Poll »
13
Who were the worst U.S. presidents of the past 40 years?
Which presidents of the United States in the past 4 decades do you believe have done the worst job. If you feel less than 3 presidents have been inadequate, then select No More.

Who were the worst U.S. presidents of the past 40 years? Photo
| Closed on 07/26/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room, Politics | Opinion List
Rank56 FansAvg (1st)
1.Bush Jr1.7 (24)
2.Carter1.0 (12)
3.Nixon0.8 (5)
Also receiving votes:Obama0.7 (9)
Bush Sr0.6
Reagan0.4 (4)
Ford0.3 (2)
No More0.3
Clinton0.3
No More0.1

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#19 | 1525 days ago

FU*K Politics....it's the same B.S generation after generation.....there are an equal amount of a$$holes and there always will be...PLAY BALL!!!
  
100 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1526 days ago

I will have to say its the Bushes.... they made the US govt their milking cow.
And Carter for being a coward
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Carter  
#2 | 1526 days ago

I honestly think they all have been bad except for Reagan.
1. Obama  2. Carter  3. Nixon  
#3 | 1526 days ago

Obama hasnt been president a full term yet, dont think he should be included.
#4 | 1526 days ago

I honestly don't see how anyone could label all of them bad BUT Reagan.
1. Carter  2. Nixon  3. Bush Jr  
#5 | 1526 days ago

Well, I can say that our current President isn't the Best one..
#6 | 1526 days ago
ChristiSunshine (+)

 I can't include Obama yet...
1. Nixon  2. Clinton  3. Carter  
#7 | 1526 days ago

Is this some sort of chicken / egg riddle?
#8 | 1526 days ago

I GUESS IT DEPENDS WHAT IS CONSIDERED BAD ,I REALLY BELIEVE THEY ALL HAD GOOD INTENTIONS AND SOMETIMES THEY PEOPLE THEY HAVE AROUND THEM HELPS THEM DO A BAD JOB. RAEGAN AFFECTED THE CIVIL SERVICE IN A NEGATIVE WAY MORE THAN THE REST SO IF YOU WAS WORKING CIVI SERVICE(WHICH I WAS AT THE TIME) HE PROBABLY ISNT YOUR FAVORITE,EVERYONE HAS DONE SOMETHING THAT SOMEBODY DIDNT LIKE SO MAYBE WE SHOULD LOOK AT THE POSITIVE AND BLESS THEM ALL
1. Reagan  2. Bush Jr  3. Nixon  
#9 | 1526 days ago

DISCUSSION OVER

 
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Bush Sr  
#10 | 1526 days ago

(Edited by coyotedances)
My top 3 worst would be
1) Geo. W Bush
2) Richard Nixion
3) Bill Clinton
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Clinton  
#11 | 1526 days ago

CAPTAINSEAFOOD wrote:
I GUESS IT DEPENDS WHAT IS CONSIDERED BAD ,I REALLY BELIEVE THEY ALL HAD GOOD INTENTIONS AND SOMETIMES THEY PEOPLE THEY HAVE AROUND THEM HELPS THEM DO A BAD JOB. RAEGAN AFFECTED THE CIVIL SERVICE IN A NEGATIVE WAY MORE THAN THE REST SO IF YOU WAS WORKING CIVI SERVICE(WHICH I WAS AT THE TIME) HE PROBABLY ISNT YOUR FAVORITE,EVERYONE HAS DONE SOMETHING THAT SOMEBODY DIDNT LIKE SO MAYBE WE SHOULD LOOK AT THE POSITIVE AND BLESS THEM ALL
Reagan = union buster (PATCO)
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Clinton  
#12 | 1526 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
Obama hasnt been president a full term yet, dont think he should be included.
Agreed.  
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#13 | 1526 days ago
ChristiSunshine (+)

coyotedances wrote:
My top 3 worst would be
1) Geo. W Bush
2) Richard Nixion
3) Bill Clinton
 Nixon is one of the choices.
1. Nixon  2. Clinton  3. Carter  
#14 | 1526 days ago

ChristiSunshine wrote:
 Nixon is one of the choices.
 (laughs at self) 
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Clinton  
#15 | 1526 days ago

(Edited by JenX63)
I had to base it on the "believability' factor...those 3, I didn't believe at all......
(had to come back and correct myself, it's not a darn ladder it is a factor)...brain doesn't work well after 9)
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Clinton  
#16 | 1526 days ago

How quickly we forget....Carter was atrocious (spell check).    The hostages, embargo's w/ Russia & other nations, not to mention "Billy Beer" !    Nixon really didn't do a lot in office either, including taking us off the gold standard.   I felt like I almost had to include 1 of the Bush's; I went w/ Jr. though something tells me in 10 years I won't have him on this list !
1. Carter  2. Nixon  3. Bush Jr  
#17 | 1525 days ago

If not for covering up the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon would be regarded as one of the best US Presidents, especially on US Foreign Policy, but Watergate was simply the worst cover-up in the history of the Presidency, and for that, Richard Nixon will be forever known as "Tricky Dick."
1. Nixon  2. Bush Sr  3. Bush Jr  
#18 | 1525 days ago

Obama is already the worst president ever.  All politics aside, he has not come through on anything he's promised, and has divided this nation more than ever.  I know it hasn't been a full term, but he still is doing horrible.
1. Obama  2. Carter  3. Nixon  
#19 | 1525 days ago

FU*K Politics....it's the same B.S generation after generation.....there are an equal amount of a$$holes and there always will be...PLAY BALL!!!
#20 | 1525 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

qtowndogg wrote:
Obama is already the worst president ever.  All politics aside, he has not come through on anything he's promised, and has divided this nation more than ever.  I know it hasn't been a full term, but he still is doing horrible.
Carter....hands down.  As for those that said President Obama--pathetic....  The man's only been in office for 16 months perhaps you should study recent history, and put your prejudices away.   The Iran Hostage Crisis lasted for 444 days.  You weren't alive to experience such,but I remember vividly.  This whole country was in a state of shock; our whole "no one would dare attack us" ideology was blown out of the water, our lack of ability to free the hostages and President Carter's one attempt at rescue being about as smart as a goldfish choosing to live in a Piranha tank, and (in short, and aside from the anger that grew over that time) this nation as a whole felt the sting of helplessness pertaining to getting our citizens home.

If you don't like Obama, hey, that's fine.  But you just might want to consider how making such statements reflects upon you.

From Steve Benen, Washington Monthly
www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/144246/has_obama_done_more_than_any_other_president_in_their_first_year/
"The success of his first year will be largely dependent on the outcome of the health care debate, but Obama may soon be able to point to his first 12 months in office and say he rescued the economy from a depression, passed the health care reform bill Americans have been waiting decades for, approved most progressive budget bill in a generation, got a Supreme Court nominee confirmed, lifted the ban on stem-cell research, passed a national service bill, passed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, passed new regulations of the credit card industry, passed new regulation of the tobacco industry, achieved some key counter-terrorism successes, and helped improve the nation's standing on the world stage."
#21 | 1525 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

Pertaining to the above, I understand there is dissension regarding the positive or negative aspects of what has been done.  Let's please not turn this thread into a fiasco as was the thread specific to the President.  I presented the above information as a quantitative example to make a point.
#22 | 1525 days ago

1. Carter
2. "W"
3. Nixon

Johnson only misses the 40 yr. status by one year (he served up to 69), but he was horrible too.
The current president will be a one term guy...IMO...
1. Carter  2. Bush Jr  3. No More  
#23 | 1525 days ago

Are there that many people here that remember Nixon or just going by the movies? I say W. I served under Reagan and Bush Sr and had no complaints. That damn Clinton raised the retirement bar. Of all that are mentioned I would say W hands down was the worst!
1. Bush Jr  2. Ford  3. No More  
#24 | 1525 days ago

NorseHeathen wrote:
Carter....hands down.  As for those that said President Obama--pathetic....  The man's only been in office for 16 months perhaps you should study recent history, and put your prejudices away.   The Iran Hostage Crisis lasted for 444 days.  You weren't alive to experience such,but I remember vividly.  This whole country was in a state of shock; our whole "no one would dare attack us" ideology was blown out of the water, our lack of ability to free the hostages and President Carter's one attempt at rescue being about as smart as a goldfish choosing to live in a Piranha tank, and (in short, and aside from the anger that grew over that time) this nation as a whole felt the sting of helplessness pertaining to getting our citizens home.

If you don't like Obama, hey, that's fine.  But you just might want to consider how making such statements reflects upon you.

From Steve Benen, Washington Monthly
www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/144246/has_obama_done_more_than_any_other_president_in_their_first_year/
"The success of his first year will be largely dependent on the outcome of the health care debate, but Obama may soon be able to point to his first 12 months in office and say he rescued the economy from a depression, passed the health care reform bill Americans have been waiting decades for, approved most progressive budget bill in a generation, got a Supreme Court nominee confirmed, lifted the ban on stem-cell research, passed a national service bill, passed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, passed new regulations of the credit card industry, passed new regulation of the tobacco industry, achieved some key counter-terrorism successes, and helped improve the nation's standing on the world stage."
Try being deployed as an 18yr for a hostage crisis in the midst of a presidential election when the Vietnam War just ceased 4 years before!!!
1. Bush Jr  2. Ford  3. No More  
#25 | 1525 days ago

NorseHeathen wrote:
Carter....hands down.  As for those that said President Obama--pathetic....  The man's only been in office for 16 months perhaps you should study recent history, and put your prejudices away.   The Iran Hostage Crisis lasted for 444 days.  You weren't alive to experience such,but I remember vividly.  This whole country was in a state of shock; our whole "no one would dare attack us" ideology was blown out of the water, our lack of ability to free the hostages and President Carter's one attempt at rescue being about as smart as a goldfish choosing to live in a Piranha tank, and (in short, and aside from the anger that grew over that time) this nation as a whole felt the sting of helplessness pertaining to getting our citizens home.

If you don't like Obama, hey, that's fine.  But you just might want to consider how making such statements reflects upon you.

From Steve Benen, Washington Monthly
www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/144246/has_obama_done_more_than_any_other_president_in_their_first_year/
"The success of his first year will be largely dependent on the outcome of the health care debate, but Obama may soon be able to point to his first 12 months in office and say he rescued the economy from a depression, passed the health care reform bill Americans have been waiting decades for, approved most progressive budget bill in a generation, got a Supreme Court nominee confirmed, lifted the ban on stem-cell research, passed a national service bill, passed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, passed new regulations of the credit card industry, passed new regulation of the tobacco industry, achieved some key counter-terrorism successes, and helped improve the nation's standing on the world stage."
In all fairness, I did put Carter second.  And I haven't been around a while, so maybe saying worst EVER was probably a bit too much.  But in my short lifetime, to me he has clearly been the worst.  Obviously, you can tell I'm not a Democrat, but now I can finally kind of respect Clinton's presidency (not his personal issues, but his presidency) in the fact that he kept this economy booming and was good (for the most part) at keeping the majority of the American people united.  No one is perfect, and politicians are the best example of that, so I can't expect Obama to change the world (although he did kinda promise that too, lol).  But, I still have not been happy with him up to this point.  Who knows, maybe he will change my mind in the future.  But up until now, I think he has done a very poor job.  You can't fault me for having my own opinion.  I just think it's funny that George W. could be criticized non-stop (for seemingly everything -- including Hurricanes?  How ridiculous!); but if one person disagrees even slightly with Obama then they are being hasty or unpatriotic.  It goes both ways.  However, Obama was elected as our President, and even though I disagree politically with him on most things, I will still respect his position as leader because right now he is OUR president and that's what we all need to do.
1. Obama  2. Carter  3. Nixon  
#26 | 1525 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

I can definitely respect that statement.  I wasn't here in FanIQ during President G.W. Bush's tenure as chief executive, but I can guarantee you that I defended the kind of rubbish you mentioned above.   Politically, I don't have any specific party allegiences.  Furthermore, I think that the constant partisanship of our current socio-politically establishment only serves to further hinder our nation in many respects.

Perhaps I over-reacted a bit with my response.  Having a father in the Marines, after 3 tours in Vietnam brought more reality to the adverse affects of Carter's ineptness as a Commander-in-Chief.  As for our current chief executive (in keeping with my own request above) all I'll say is that I think considering some of the changes that have been made, it will take years for his tenure to be realistically evaluated--in a politically "technical" sense.  So, IMHO, the jury hasn't even been excused to deliberate.
#27 | 1524 days ago

I remember when Carter was President...and with the Hostage Crisis of 444 days.  The feeling in America was that we weren't being taken seriously in the world....kind of like the "Coward of the County"....just hit him...he won't hit back...it got so bad that the Charlie Daniels Band had to write a song called "In America" to help bolster our "feeling" that we were United.  Carter was a "nice guy", but not ready for prime-time.  Yes, while I realize that Obama has only been in office in 16 months, I still see him as being inexperienced.  I think that if he'd been a leader of something...a company, a state, even a CHAIRMAN in the Senate....that he would have more leadership ability.  This Gulf Oil spill has shown me that he is not a good leader.  Do I expect him to plug the hole? No, but as a leader, he should have gone there in the FIRST FEW DAYS.  Even if he can't really DO anything, his presence to the local people would have been reassuring.  I think they bungled this.  During Hurricane Katrina, it took the Feds 2-3 days to get to the region...AND THEY WERE ROUNDLY CRITICIZED for taking so long...they DID take too long....but to wait over a MONTH?  Just my two cents...
1. Carter  2. Obama  3. No More  
#28 | 1524 days ago

I have to say its a tie.....because for the past 40 plus years other than Kennedy,( and he probably had one,just wasnt around long enough to implement it...though in his short tenure he did alot!) our presidents  have all had an agenda ,,and WE all know who runs America.   BIG BUSINESS....and I'm sick of it...
#29 | 1524 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

icfeet wrote:
I remember when Carter was President...and with the Hostage Crisis of 444 days.  The feeling in America was that we weren't being taken seriously in the world....kind of like the "Coward of the County"....just hit him...he won't hit back...it got so bad that the Charlie Daniels Band had to write a song called "In America" to help bolster our "feeling" that we were United.  Carter was a "nice guy", but not ready for prime-time.  Yes, while I realize that Obama has only been in office in 16 months, I still see him as being inexperienced.  I think that if he'd been a leader of something...a company, a state, even a CHAIRMAN in the Senate....that he would have more leadership ability.  This Gulf Oil spill has shown me that he is not a good leader.  Do I expect him to plug the hole? No, but as a leader, he should have gone there in the FIRST FEW DAYS.  Even if he can't really DO anything, his presence to the local people would have been reassuring.  I think they bungled this.  During Hurricane Katrina, it took the Feds 2-3 days to get to the region...AND THEY WERE ROUNDLY CRITICIZED for taking so long...they DID take too long....but to wait over a MONTH?  Just my two cents...
I'd forgotten about that Charlie Daniels song--I'm going to go to YouTube right now and listen to it; those were definitely dark days.

I've watched the news every day, but I'm not that privy as to the "behind the scenes" working behind our current situation as I've been focused upon a new project and haven't spent the time I normally would to do some reading.  I can say that I am not pleased with the lack of progress pertaining to the situation in the Gulf of Mexico right now.   But that's another thread.
#30 | 1524 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

I can't believe I haven't heard that song in such a long time.  Great song!

Charlie Daniels: "In America"
www.youtube.com/watch
#31 | 1519 days ago

I know I put, Carter and then, no more for the other two. Change that. Make that, 1. Carter 2. Bush Sr. 3. No More,
Doesn't mean I'm crazy about the others, it just means I'm mostly neutral about them. Out of them all, the ones I come close to liking, (I use that word loosely) Ford, Reagan and Clinton. Bring back a JFK, bring back a Truman, Eisenhower.
or a Lincoln, not what we've had since 1968-1969. Please, IMO, not impressed.
1. Carter  2. No More  3. No More  
#32 | 1519 days ago

(Edited by coyotedances)
Drummer99 wrote:
I know I put, Carter and then, no more for the other two. Change that. Make that, 1. Carter 2. Bush Sr. 3. No More,
Doesn't mean I'm crazy about the others, it just means I'm mostly neutral about them. Out of them all, the ones I come close to liking, (I use that word loosely) Ford, Reagan and Clinton. Bring back a JFK, bring back a Truman, Eisenhower.
or a Lincoln, not what we've had since 1968-1969. Please, IMO, not impressed.
I had Clinton #3 based on his dang NAFTA treaty and the affect it had on US jobs.
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Clinton  
#33 | 1519 days ago

coyotedances wrote:
I had Clinton #3 based on his dang NAFTA treaty and the affect it had on US jobs.
I don't know the whole 9 yards about NAFTA, but, wasn't it supposed to help trade with North America?
and I think it hurt and is hurting the Middle Class jobs? NAFTA also started with Bush Sr. and Clinton took the ball and ran with it. Believe me, I'm not all hip hip ha-rah about Bill Clinton.

Point is, I haven't been thrilled with any of the Presidents we've had in over 40 years, to much underhandedness, and not REALLY looking out for the ppl. A boat load of promises, and its mostly bs. I walk to the voting booth and hold my nose 90% of the time.
1. Carter  2. No More  3. No More  
#34 | 1519 days ago

Drummer99 wrote:
I don't know the whole 9 yards about NAFTA, but, wasn't it supposed to help trade with North America?
and I think it hurt and is hurting the Middle Class jobs? NAFTA also started with Bush Sr. and Clinton took the ball and ran with it. Believe me, I'm not all hip hip ha-rah about Bill Clinton.

Point is, I haven't been thrilled with any of the Presidents we've had in over 40 years, to much underhandedness, and not REALLY looking out for the ppl. A boat load of promises, and its mostly bs. I walk to the voting booth and hold my nose 90% of the time.
NAFTA is responsible for destroying American jobs (a net loss of 879,000 jobs in the U.S.), lowered wages, and led to a decline in labor protection. Chrysler sent its entire production of its 404 transmission to Mexico, I know this first hand.
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Clinton  
#35 | 1517 days ago

Nixon is still the worst President weve ever had, but lil Georgie Porgie is close 2nd. Every other President of my lifetime is merely  mediocre. Excluding Kennedy, who is hard to judge since he died in middle of his term, Clinton is probaly the best President in my lifetime(no, the overrated Reagan was NOT!), which makes me wonder. Of course, Obama has a chance to exceed Clinton, but it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to judge him one way or another.
1. Nixon  2. Bush Jr  3. No More  
#36 | 1516 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

mikecubbie69 wrote:
Nixon is still the worst President weve ever had, but lil Georgie Porgie is close 2nd. Every other President of my lifetime is merely  mediocre. Excluding Kennedy, who is hard to judge since he died in middle of his term, Clinton is probaly the best President in my lifetime(no, the overrated Reagan was NOT!), which makes me wonder. Of course, Obama has a chance to exceed Clinton, but it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to judge him one way or another.
I sense a bit of partisanship here....How was Nixon and Bush worse than Carter?
#37 | 1516 days ago
ChristiSunshine (+)

NorseHeathen wrote:
I sense a bit of partisanship here....How was Nixon and Bush worse than Carter?
 I think there's a good argument for Nixon.
1. Nixon  2. Clinton  3. Carter  
#38 | 1514 days ago

Carter = gas lines, hostages and double digit inflation
Obama = huge government with no government responsibilty which will lead to the same things as above 
Nixon = crooked government
#39 | 1514 days ago

Michael_G wrote:
FU*K Politics....it's the same B.S generation after generation.....there are an equal amount of a$$holes and there always will be...PLAY BALL!!!
Don't beat around the bush -- say what you really feel        

I think "Q" should add a "clown smiley" option ... especially for your comment.
1. Carter  2. Clinton  3. Nixon  
#40 | 1497 days ago

cuddles127017 wrote:
I honestly think they all have been bad except for Reagan.
What?  Reagan was horrible!  He was G. W. Bush before G. W. Bush.  In fact, Daddy Bush suffered from much of the same problems that Obama is currently suffering from.  Namely, 8 years of bad decisions and poor, misguided, and corrupt policies.
1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#41 | 1497 days ago

NorseHeathen wrote:
I sense a bit of partisanship here....How was Nixon and Bush worse than Carter?
 Agreed. Nixon was corrupt, but did quite a bit of good. I think people would be stunned at how similar Obama's and Nixon's views are on some issues.  The fact that Obama is considered a radical by some when his views were similar to a Republican President just 40 some years ago, shows how far to the right his country has gone.
1. Reagan  2. Bush Jr  3. Carter  
#42 | 1496 days ago

qtowndogg wrote:
Obama is already the worst president ever.  All politics aside, he has not come through on anything he's promised, and has divided this nation more than ever.  I know it hasn't been a full term, but he still is doing horrible.
I couldn't disagree with you more.  He has actually fulfilled many of his campaign promises.  And, due to the fact that his term isn't over, he has a chance to fulfill even more of them.  You must not have been paying attention during the campaign.

All politics aside, the Republican members of the Legislature is the problem.  It used to be that even through deep philosophical differences, both parties would come together and decide what's best for the country.  Now, all the Republicans want to do is try to block everything in the hopes that the Democrats look like failures.  This is being done, not for the good of the country, but purely for political power.  This tactic has caused a deep divide between Americans and has greatly exploited the fundamental differences between the two parties.

As for the worst President ever, there can be no doubt that is was George W. Bush!  He inherited four straight budgets that were either balanced or in surplus, and turned them into record defacits in less than a year.  In fact, he is the first two term President that operated in defacit for the entire eight years.  I haven't even mentioned the bungling of the war in Afghanistan, invading a country that did nothing to us, stripping our civil liberties with the Patriot Act and dragging us back to the 1700's by repealing Habeus Corpus.  Cronism, coruption, Katrina, deregulation...I can go on and on.  His policies let to very public disaters like Enron, Fannie and Freddie, AIG, the financial market collapse, and more.  You probably blame Obama for the auto bailout...Bush proposed it.  You probably blame Obama for the financial bailout...Bush started it.  You probably blame Obama for TARP...Bush, Bush, Bush.

This isn't the half of it.  When we finish cleaning up G. W. Bush's mess, I'll let you know.

Please, come up with list that's half as bad from Obama...I dare you!
1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#43 | 1496 days ago

Michael_G wrote:
FU*K Politics....it's the same B.S generation after generation.....there are an equal amount of a$$holes and there always will be...PLAY BALL!!!
This should be listed as the best comment of the century      Play Ball
1. Carter  2. Clinton  3. Nixon  
#44 | 1496 days ago

coyotedances wrote:
Reagan = union buster (PATCO)
1. Carter  2. Ford  3. Obama  
#45 | 1496 days ago

BiggT53 wrote:
I couldn't disagree with you more.  He has actually fulfilled many of his campaign promises.  And, due to the fact that his term isn't over, he has a chance to fulfill even more of them.  You must not have been paying attention during the campaign.

All politics aside, the Republican members of the Legislature is the problem.  It used to be that even through deep philosophical differences, both parties would come together and decide what's best for the country.  Now, all the Republicans want to do is try to block everything in the hopes that the Democrats look like failures.  This is being done, not for the good of the country, but purely for political power.  This tactic has caused a deep divide between Americans and has greatly exploited the fundamental differences between the two parties.

As for the worst President ever, there can be no doubt that is was George W. Bush!  He inherited four straight budgets that were either balanced or in surplus, and turned them into record defacits in less than a year.  In fact, he is the first two term President that operated in defacit for the entire eight years.  I haven't even mentioned the bungling of the war in Afghanistan, invading a country that did nothing to us, stripping our civil liberties with the Patriot Act and dragging us back to the 1700's by repealing Habeus Corpus.  Cronism, coruption, Katrina, deregulation...I can go on and on.  His policies let to very public disaters like Enron, Fannie and Freddie, AIG, the financial market collapse, and more.  You probably blame Obama for the auto bailout...Bush proposed it.  You probably blame Obama for the financial bailout...Bush started it.  You probably blame Obama for TARP...Bush, Bush, Bush.

This isn't the half of it.  When we finish cleaning up G. W. Bush's mess, I'll let you know.

Please, come up with list that's half as bad from Obama...I dare you!
#46 | 1496 days ago

coyotedances wrote:
NAFTA is responsible for destroying American jobs (a net loss of 879,000 jobs in the U.S.), lowered wages, and led to a decline in labor protection. Chrysler sent its entire production of its 404 transmission to Mexico, I know this first hand.
nafta was just  nie way of sying outsource american jobs so others could do it cheap so big businesses paid less wage and made more profit..
#47 | 1496 days ago

coyotedances wrote:
NAFTA is responsible for destroying American jobs (a net loss of 879,000 jobs in the U.S.), lowered wages, and led to a decline in labor protection. Chrysler sent its entire production of its 404 transmission to Mexico, I know this first hand.
By the way, Reagan proposed NAFTA, Daddy Bush didn't get to it and the Republican Congress pushed it forward once they got control of the legislature.  I know Clinton signed it, but it's not all on him.  Let's just call it a bi-partisan screw-up.
1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#48 | 1496 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Keeter wrote:
How quickly we forget....Carter was atrocious (spell check).    The hostages, embargo's w/ Russia & other nations, not to mention "Billy Beer" !    Nixon really didn't do a lot in office either, including taking us off the gold standard.   I felt like I almost had to include 1 of the Bush's; I went w/ Jr. though something tells me in 10 years I won't have him on this list !
 Yes that's why he got my number two vote. And let's not forget the boycott of the Olympics. He is the only president who when he left office became more popular. And he is a good man but he was a very bad President. He got 2nd because at least he was not a war monger. And W well God I don't have it in me right now to even start on that idiot.
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#49 | 1496 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

 Well I believe history will show President George W. Bush to be one of the worst presidents this country has ever survived.
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#50 | 1496 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Well I believe history will show President George W. Bush to be one of the worst presidents this country has ever survived.
One of?  Try the...
1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#51 | 1491 days ago

(Edited by bigbird13)
Could've been worst ! !
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Nixon  
#52 | 1491 days ago

(Edited by Drummer99)
I picked Bush Sr. over Jr. because Bush 41 shoulda finished the job with Iraq back in 1991. I know a lot of ppl dislike Bush Jr. I'm not crazy about him either, I just disliked Saddam more. He finished what Daddy Bush shoulda done, the U.S. was there already in 91, there was a reason for attacking, and I think Jr. shoulda been much more aggressive in Afghanistan. He lost attention on that and focused to much on Iraq, which is why the most wanted man in the world is still around. Its to early for me to judge Obama, another year and I can judge him better, although, I wouldn't say he's doing wonderful, it depends who you ask. Without the sleaze, I'd probably pick Clinton as even being close to the best President in the last 40 years, Then Reagan.

All this is only IMO folks. Don't throw shoes or anything, 
1. Carter  2. No More  3. No More  
#53 | 1491 days ago

^^^^^  I know I didn't put Bush Sr. in my first list pick, I think it was late, and I couldn't think clearly, I changed it in post #31.
I guess if I HAD to pick a third it would be Bush the son.
1. Carter  2. No More  3. No More  
#54 | 1489 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Well I believe history will show President George W. Bush to be one of the worst presidents this country has ever survived.
Actually, Glenda...I like ya and all....but we'll have to wait 20-30 yrs...Dubya was not one of the best presidents, but I think history will show that he wasn't so bad...Nixon, at the time, was a HORRIBLE president according to everyone, especiially the media...and he's been shown to not be THAT terrible.  I know I'm not a Libtard....just my opinion...
1. Carter  2. Obama  3. No More  
#55 | 1489 days ago

icfeet wrote:
Actually, Glenda...I like ya and all....but we'll have to wait 20-30 yrs...Dubya was not one of the best presidents, but I think history will show that he wasn't so bad...Nixon, at the time, was a HORRIBLE president according to everyone, especiially the media...and he's been shown to not be THAT terrible.  I know I'm not a Libtard....just my opinion...
I believe Glenda is right.  I see you have Obama in your 3, but he's stuck cleaning up Dubya's mess.  In fact, it's extremely likely that the next 5 Presidents will be cleaning up Dubya's mess.  There are a lot of good things that Nixon did.  You'll be hard pressed to come up with one good thing that Dubya did.
1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#56 | 1489 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Well I believe history will show President George W. Bush to be one of the worst presidents this country has ever survived.
He wasn't nearly as bad as others long ago in the past

Namely the presidents before Lincoln who allowed slavery...
  Fillmore signed the Fugitive Slavery Act
  Pierce did nothing to stop it)
  Buchanan failed to prevent the Civil War and left a big mess for Lincoln
Coolidge and Hoover caused the Great Depression
Harding was corrupted and rumors have it that he was purposely poisoned to death as a result.
1. Bush Jr  2. Nixon  3. Bush Sr  
#57 | 1488 days ago

BiggT53 wrote:
I believe Glenda is right.  I see you have Obama in your 3, but he's stuck cleaning up Dubya's mess.  In fact, it's extremely likely that the next 5 Presidents will be cleaning up Dubya's mess.  There are a lot of good things that Nixon did.  You'll be hard pressed to come up with one good thing that Dubya did.
(See post #27)

I don't think that W was one of our greatest presidents...but I also do NOT think he was the worst.  I think that history will show him not to be as bad as the MEDIA wanted him to be...
1. Carter  2. Obama  3. No More  
#58 | 1488 days ago

icfeet wrote:
I remember when Carter was President...and with the Hostage Crisis of 444 days.  The feeling in America was that we weren't being taken seriously in the world....kind of like the "Coward of the County"....just hit him...he won't hit back...it got so bad that the Charlie Daniels Band had to write a song called "In America" to help bolster our "feeling" that we were United.  Carter was a "nice guy", but not ready for prime-time.  Yes, while I realize that Obama has only been in office in 16 months, I still see him as being inexperienced.  I think that if he'd been a leader of something...a company, a state, even a CHAIRMAN in the Senate....that he would have more leadership ability.  This Gulf Oil spill has shown me that he is not a good leader.  Do I expect him to plug the hole? No, but as a leader, he should have gone there in the FIRST FEW DAYS.  Even if he can't really DO anything, his presence to the local people would have been reassuring.  I think they bungled this.  During Hurricane Katrina, it took the Feds 2-3 days to get to the region...AND THEY WERE ROUNDLY CRITICIZED for taking so long...they DID take too long....but to wait over a MONTH?  Just my two cents...

Well, as I said before, I live in south Louisiana.  In fact, I only live about 45 minutes away from New Orleans(was there tonight by the way).  Not one person from the Bush administration stepped foot in the state for 5 days after Katrina.  Not one person!  Bush himself didn't make an appearance for nearly 3 weeks.  So, let's just get that clear.

In less than 24 hours after the Deep Water Horizon blew up(and was still burning in the Gulf), the Department of the Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar, Department of Labor Secretary, Hilda Solis and the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius was on the ground in Grand Isle.  These are not just cronies from the administration, these are cabinet members!  Within 3 days, the Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano was on the scene.  You say he's not a good leader, I'd have to respectfully disagree.  I've now personally seen how both administrations have shown leadership and I'd take Obama over Bush any day.  Just because the President didn't come in person, doesn't mean anything to me.  He showed leadership by directing the people, who are getting paid by the taxpayers, to come down here and do their jobs.  We must remember, while the spill is tragic, it is not the only thing the President has on his plate.

These are my two cents...

1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#59 | 1488 days ago

BiggT53 wrote:

Well, as I said before, I live in south Louisiana.  In fact, I only live about 45 minutes away from New Orleans(was there tonight by the way).  Not one person from the Bush administration stepped foot in the state for 5 days after Katrina.  Not one person!  Bush himself didn't make an appearance for nearly 3 weeks.  So, let's just get that clear.

In less than 24 hours after the Deep Water Horizon blew up(and was still burning in the Gulf), the Department of the Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar, Department of Labor Secretary, Hilda Solis and the Department of Health and Human Services Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius was on the ground in Grand Isle.  These are not just cronies from the administration, these are cabinet members!  Within 3 days, the Homeland Security Secretary, Janet Napolitano was on the scene.  You say he's not a good leader, I'd have to respectfully disagree.  I've now personally seen how both administrations have shown leadership and I'd take Obama over Bush any day.  Just because the President didn't come in person, doesn't mean anything to me.  He showed leadership by directing the people, who are getting paid by the taxpayers, to come down here and do their jobs.  We must remember, while the spill is tragic, it is not the only thing the President has on his plate.

These are my two cents...

Oh, and I almost forgot that President Obama appointed Admiral Thad Allen to be the National Incident Commander the day the oil rig sank.  That's just 2 days into the disaster.  Sounds like leadership to me.
1. Bush Jr  2. Reagan  3. Carter  
#60 | 1486 days ago

(Edited by ML31)
Crap...  How could I have ignored Carter?  Perhaps I have been swayed by him being the best EX - President we ever had...

Should be Bush Jr and Carter in the top two... In any order.

And I should admit...  Putting Obama #3 really wasn't fair...  I just did it to be ornery.  
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#61 | 1486 days ago

BiggT53 wrote:
Oh, and I almost forgot that President Obama appointed Admiral Thad Allen to be the National Incident Commander the day the oil rig sank.  That's just 2 days into the disaster.  Sounds like leadership to me.
I agree with you Todd, for the most part....well, probably not 100% but, I see what you're saying, but, I really don't think Janet Napolitano is that great, and if Obama gets re-elected, I'm looking forward to her being replaced. I like Joe, as in Joe Biden. Some ppl think he's a walking disaster, I like'm and respect the guy, he doesn't pull punches. I'm a centrist btw, I know I've said this about 35 times now, on the Q, lol, but, I never know who I said it to.
1. Carter  2. No More  3. No More  
#62 | 1467 days ago

kteacher wrote:
I honestly don't see how anyone could label all of them bad BUT Reagan.
Reagan was our best president ever.

Personally, I don't know how anyone could put anyone even consider leaving Nixon off the list. He and Carter were locks for 1 and 2, in my opinion.
1. Nixon  2. Carter  3. Clinton  
#63 | 1467 days ago

Obama is getting the same recognition FDR got.  Looks great in the short-term, but in the future, when you get into college, both Presidents will be talked about when the question of 'how our government got so big and overbearing' by scholars.

And, if Health Care Reform was such an "American" issue, it would've passed without a party-controlled Congress.

Taking into consideration only the economy, Obama IS the worst since FDR, and FDR is the worst in the history of this nation.
1. Obama  2. No More  3. No More  
#64 | 1467 days ago

Pat wrote:
Reagan was our best president ever.

Personally, I don't know how anyone could put anyone even consider leaving Nixon off the list. He and Carter were locks for 1 and 2, in my opinion.
OK....well I think different, so there.
1. Carter  2. Nixon  3. Bush Jr  
#65 | 1466 days ago

(Edited by janet011685)
RichyMcWiggleSr wrote:
Obama is getting the same recognition FDR got.  Looks great in the short-term, but in the future, when you get into college, both Presidents will be talked about when the question of 'how our government got so big and overbearing' by scholars.

And, if Health Care Reform was such an "American" issue, it would've passed without a party-controlled Congress.

Taking into consideration only the economy, Obama IS the worst since FDR, and FDR is the worst in the history of this nation.
 
I don't see any grounds for you saying Obama is the worst for ANYTHING since he's not even halfway through one term.  And you can make an argument for FDR's policies being "bad" (as an opinion) when it comes to growth of government/debt, but saying he was bad for the economy is silly-talk, I say.  Comes into a depression (THE Depression ... the GREAT Depression) and steers a poverty-stricken nation towards prosperity again.  I've never heard anyone (on any level, from elementary school up through college, and beyond) say that FDR was anywhere NEAR the worst president for the economy, or overall.
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#66 | 1466 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Kenne wrote:
He wasn't nearly as bad as others long ago in the past

Namely the presidents before Lincoln who allowed slavery...
  Fillmore signed the Fugitive Slavery Act
  Pierce did nothing to stop it)
  Buchanan failed to prevent the Civil War and left a big mess for Lincoln
Coolidge and Hoover caused the Great Depression
Harding was corrupted and rumors have it that he was purposely poisoned to death as a result.
 Well I guess it will be one of those wait and see things. But I stand firm on what I said between the wars, the economy, the loss of respectability world wide.  The education system tanking.  Yes Hoover was a very ineffective President, but I do not confuse ineffective with bad.  And before Lincoln slavery was legal so history will not show them as bad for that. Should it yes, but it doesn't. 
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#67 | 1466 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

BiggT53 wrote:
I believe Glenda is right.  I see you have Obama in your 3, but he's stuck cleaning up Dubya's mess.  In fact, it's extremely likely that the next 5 Presidents will be cleaning up Dubya's mess.  There are a lot of good things that Nixon did.  You'll be hard pressed to come up with one good thing that Dubya did.
 Absolutely, even our President  while running for office said this mess will not be fixed in 8 years let alone in 4.  That all he could do is begin the clean up. So more honesty in that one statement then we ever heard from President Bush. 
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#68 | 1466 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
 
I don't see any grounds for you saying Obama is the worst for ANYTHING since he's not even halfway through one term.  And you can make an argument for FDR's policies being "bad" (as an opinion) when it comes to growth of government/debt, but saying he was bad for the economy is silly-talk, I say.  Comes into a depression (THE Depression ... the GREAT Depression) and steers a poverty-stricken nation towards prosperity again.  I've never heard anyone (on any level, from elementary school up through college, and beyond) say that FDR was anywhere NEAR the worst president for the economy, or overall.
I need to clear up a misconception on your part...

Regardless of one's opinion of FDR....  Weather you liked what his administration tried to get the country out of the depression or not....  The fact is nothing his administration did got the country out of it.  What solved the world wide depression was World War II.  Not so much FDR's policies.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#69 | 1466 days ago

(Edited by ML31)
cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Absolutely, even our President  while running for office said this mess will not be fixed in 8 years let alone in 4.  That all he could do is begin the clean up. So more honesty in that one statement then we ever heard from President Bush. 
That comment was so obviously a campaign creation.  It gives him an out should his policies pass Congress and then fail to work.  All he has to say in 4 years is, "Hey...  I said before it would take more than 8 years...   Give it a chance to work."

What he said was 100% political.  It was not an "honest comment".  It was more campaign rhetoric. 

And before you go there, Bush, McCain and every other candidate had their share of campaign rhetoric.  It goes with the territory.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#70 | 1466 days ago

(Edited by janet011685)
ML31 wrote:
I need to clear up a misconception on your part...

Regardless of one's opinion of FDR....  Weather you liked what his administration tried to get the country out of the depression or not....  The fact is nothing his administration did got the country out of it.  What solved the world wide depression was World War II.  Not so much FDR's policies.
That's debatable ... I think the more common misconception is that it was ONLY the war that pulled this country out of that Depression. Yes, the war did provide many new jobs for Americans, and helped some national businesses (especially in manufacturing), but the New Deal (or New Deals, since they are generally classed into two separate parts by historians) created so many programs that kick-started the economy and helped with education, training, and infrastructure in the US.
The Glass-Steagal Act incorporated FDIC insurance, helping the banks recover from a collapse we could not even fathom today. The CCC created between 2-4 million jobs for young Americans who had no skills or prospects for finding work elsewhere. FDR pushed to repeal Prohibition, which provided another huge source of tax revenue income, and he cut federal salaries. Yes, WWII was a huge factor, but to discredit everything else that saved our national financial system (stock market, banks, housing market/mortgages, etc.), created tax revenues, and created millions of jobs is, I think , the real misconception.

*Edited for typo.*  


1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#71 | 1466 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
That's debatable ... I think the more common misconception is that it was ONLY the war that pulled this country out of that Depression. Yes, the war did provide many new jobs for Americans, and helped some national businesses (especially in manufacturing), but the New Deal (or New Deals, since they are generally classed into two separate parts by historians) created so many programs that kick-started the economy and helped with education, training, and infrastructure in the US.
The Glass-Steagal Act incorporated FDIC insurance, helping the banks recover from a collapse we could not even fathom today. The CCC created between 2-4 million jobs for young Americans who had no skills or prospects for finding work elsewhere. FDR pushed to repeal Prohibition, which provided another huge source of tax revenue income, and he cut federal salaries. Yes, WWII was a huge factor, but to discredit everything else that saved our national financial system (stock market, banks, housing market/mortgages, etc.), created tax revenues, and created millions of jobs is, I think , the real misconception.

*Edited for typo.*  


The war was indeed the primary cause.  The New Deal programs did employ a great many people for projects.  But when the program ended, so did the jobs and what little that was gained was then lost.  Such programs cannot be sustained indefinately.  The FDIC was one of the economic safeguards that came from the depression to help lessen the odds of any future similar economic collapse.  But it didn't create jobs or start the economy rolling.  Almost every American historian will tell you that the depression ended due to the production WWII created.  Not because of the FDR administration.  The entire decade before the war was filled with programs and plans to end the depression.  None of them worked long term.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#72 | 1466 days ago

I honestly can't think of anything that has screwed the country harder than FDR's policies. 90% of our economical issues today are thanks to his New Deal. If that makes him a great president, then I'm pretty sure they're ALL great, by those standards.
1. Nixon  2. Carter  3. Clinton  
#73 | 1466 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

ML31 wrote:
That comment was so obviously a campaign creation.  It gives him an out should his policies pass Congress and then fail to work.  All he has to say in 4 years is, "Hey...  I said before it would take more than 8 years...   Give it a chance to work."

What he said was 100% political.  It was not an "honest comment".  It was more campaign rhetoric. 

And before you go there, Bush, McCain and every other candidate had their share of campaign rhetoric.  It goes with the territory.
 It may have been, but it does not take away from the fact that it is true. This country and the economy that this administration inherited was God awful. Now let's couple that with the fact that this President has faced opposition from the day he stepped out onto that podium to be sworn in. He has been met with nothing but blatant disregard for him self and the office that he holds. So a big part of the problem and his slow moving agenda, is due to the republicans not even wanting to admit he won, let alone help this man fix this country.   
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#74 | 1466 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 It may have been, but it does not take away from the fact that it is true. This country and the economy that this administration inherited was God awful. Now let's couple that with the fact that this President has faced opposition from the day he stepped out onto that podium to be sworn in. He has been met with nothing but blatant disregard for him self and the office that he holds. So a big part of the problem and his slow moving agenda, is due to the republicans not even wanting to admit he won, let alone help this man fix this country.   
"He has been met with nothing but blatant disregard for him self and the office that he holds"

I can't really agree with that at all, since he was the most celebrated president of my lifetime, even before he took office. I agree that SOME people have treated him negatively, but overall he has been very well liked and respected, even without giving people a reason to do so.

As for the Republicans, they are trying to help him fix this country. The problem is, Republicans and Democrats have different methods of fixing it. So obviously they're not going to just vote for his policies to be nice... Republicans think that Democrat policies will ruin the country, and vice versa. This is very basic politics.
1. Nixon  2. Carter  3. Clinton  
#75 | 1466 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

(Edited by cubsgirl2)
Pat wrote:
"He has been met with nothing but blatant disregard for him self and the office that he holds"

I can't really agree with that at all, since he was the most celebrated president of my lifetime, even before he took office. I agree that SOME people have treated him negatively, but overall he has been very well liked and respected, even without giving people a reason to do so.

As for the Republicans, they are trying to help him fix this country. The problem is, Republicans and Democrats have different methods of fixing it. So obviously they're not going to just vote for his policies to be nice... Republicans think that Democrat policies will ruin the country, and vice versa. This is very basic politics.
 Celebrated by the people who voted him in.  And as far as help him, humm if this is what they consider helping, well its a little bit like saying fox news knows the meaning of fair and balanced. 



Hi Pat, how are you? 
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#76 | 1466 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 It may have been, but it does not take away from the fact that it is true. This country and the economy that this administration inherited was God awful. Now let's couple that with the fact that this President has faced opposition from the day he stepped out onto that podium to be sworn in. He has been met with nothing but blatant disregard for him self and the office that he holds. So a big part of the problem and his slow moving agenda, is due to the republicans not even wanting to admit he won, let alone help this man fix this country.   
I don't wish to argue if it is true of not because at this point such a view is subjective.

The President received opposition because many knew who he was and what his ideas for the country were given his brief voting record in the Senate and time in the Illinois legislature.  So it is no surprise that many were against such things from the get go.  If he were more moderate, there would not have been NEARLY the opposition he encountered.  I don't know if there has been disregard for him, but there has certainly been no disregard for the office he holds.  The office has always been respected no matter who occupied it.

Funny how you say "Republicans" don't want to admit he won.  They all know he won.  (Unlike Democrats, many of whom to this day refuse to admit that Bush won in 2000.  LITERALLY.)  Just because someone wins the Presidency doesn't mean the Congress HAS to back EVERYTHING that President does.  Where was this thinking when Bush was President?  Seems to me that there is a double standard going on here.  The Congress needs to back the President ONLY when he is a guy you like.

And of course, it doesn't occur to you that there are many who feel that the Obama administration polices will NOT fix the country but only make things worse...    That is obviously a subjective thing.  But if your goal is to fix it, and someone brings up a plan you feel would make things worse...  Of course you would try and block it as best you can.

Both sides want to fix things.  But disagree on HOW to go about doing it.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#77 | 1466 days ago

TVOs wrote:
1. Carter
2. "W"
3. Nixon

Johnson only misses the 40 yr. status by one year (he served up to 69), but he was horrible too.
The current president will be a one term guy...IMO...
dont get me started on johnson that #$%%^$%%
#78 | 1466 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

(Edited by cubsgirl2)
 In my honest opinion, we haven't had a great I mean really good tough this is the way it is President since Truman. Clinton was a very good President, and in time the history books may even show him to be great. But I do not believe they will ever show President, W. as anything but a self centered war monger.



And yes I am a democrat but please look who my number 2 pick is. Because lets face it bad is bad. 
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#79 | 1466 days ago

ML31 wrote:
The war was indeed the primary cause.  The New Deal programs did employ a great many people for projects.  But when the program ended, so did the jobs and what little that was gained was then lost.  Such programs cannot be sustained indefinately.  The FDIC was one of the economic safeguards that came from the depression to help lessen the odds of any future similar economic collapse.  But it didn't create jobs or start the economy rolling.  Almost every American historian will tell you that the depression ended due to the production WWII created.  Not because of the FDR administration.  The entire decade before the war was filled with programs and plans to end the depression.  None of them worked long term.
Well the FDIC did prevent a total collapse of almost every American bank at the time ("bank runs" were going rampant before FDR closed the banks for a national holiday before reopening them again with FDIC insurance).
As for the New Deal programs, you're right that they did not last long-term (depending on how you define that, I suppose), but when the economy was floundering, to say the least, they provided work/income for millions of Americans at a time when a quarter of the workforce was unemployed. So they DID, in fact, create jobs, just not jobs that were needed for the long-haul. Once the economy got a jump-start, in large part due to the war, many of the programs ceased, but they were no longer necessary to keep Americans on their feet. Jobs were available in the private sector at that point. So yes, the war did give the economy the boost it needed to recharge, but the New Deal was also responsible for helping the system recover, in no small part.
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#80 | 1466 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
Well the FDIC did prevent a total collapse of almost every American bank at the time ("bank runs" were going rampant before FDR closed the banks for a national holiday before reopening them again with FDIC insurance).
As for the New Deal programs, you're right that they did not last long-term (depending on how you define that, I suppose), but when the economy was floundering, to say the least, they provided work/income for millions of Americans at a time when a quarter of the workforce was unemployed. So they DID, in fact, create jobs, just not jobs that were needed for the long-haul. Once the economy got a jump-start, in large part due to the war, many of the programs ceased, but they were no longer necessary to keep Americans on their feet. Jobs were available in the private sector at that point. So yes, the war did give the economy the boost it needed to recharge, but the New Deal was also responsible for helping the system recover, in no small part.
Fair enough.

Except that if the New Deal policies played a part at all it was a minuscule one.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#81 | 1466 days ago

ML31 wrote:
Fair enough.

Except that if the New Deal policies played a part at all it was a minuscule one.
In your humble opinion, of course.
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#82 | 1466 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
In your humble opinion, of course.
I'd say it is more conclusion than opinion.  (Does that qualify as a nit pick?)  But that conclusion has been guided by others who are way more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.  I just agreed with the majority on that one.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  
#83 | 1466 days ago

#84 | 1466 days ago

ML31 wrote:
I'd say it is more conclusion than opinion.  (Does that qualify as a nit pick?)  But that conclusion has been guided by others who are way more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.  I just agreed with the majority on that one.
Well since it is still, technically, a theory and not a conclusive fact, I think calling it an opinion is still appropriate. Your sources obviously differ from mine. C'est la vie.
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#85 | 1466 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
Well since it is still, technically, a theory and not a conclusive fact, I think calling it an opinion is still appropriate. Your sources obviously differ from mine. C'est la vie.
Some good points here....I'll put in my 2 cents (guess that makes 4 or 6 cents in this poll)...I feel that the government spends too much...and I think that the current strategy of "spending" our way out of a recession just DOESN'T work.  Recently, Medicare payments (70% of my income) stopped for 5 weeks....(June SUCKED)...did I INCREASE my spending???  NO..I CUT BACK.  Now, my budget is a LITTLE smaller than the Fed.  I've said it before...TAX CUTS WORK.  Every time that taxes have been cut (Kennedy, Reagan, W), revenues to the treasury have INCREASED.  Now, some people have argued that deficits INCREASED....while true, it happened because  congress did not cut spending to go along with the increased revenue...they couldn't keep their hands off the new wealth. 
I employ two people in my office...and my office runs most efficiently when there are 3 employees....but....as a business owner, I'm a little leery to hire that third person now because of talk of expiring the Bush tax cuts...I don't want to hire someone, just to lay them off in January because I can't afford the taxes.  Obama could announce that he was suspending payroll taxes for the next six months...AND THE ECONOMY WOULD TAKE OFF!!  People would have more money to spend, thereby requiring employees in restaurants, retail stores, vacation spots, etc...it goes on and on...
1. Carter  2. Obama  3. No More  
#86 | 1466 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Celebrated by the people who voted him in.  And as far as help him, humm if this is what they consider helping, well its a little bit like saying fox news knows the meaning of fair and balanced. 



Hi Pat, how are you? 
Not bad, how are you?

My point is that there are a LOT of people who think he's great. And you have to admit, Bush received his fair share of hate too, did he not?

And the Democrats in Congress "helped" him the same way. That's just politics.
1. Nixon  2. Carter  3. Clinton  
#87 | 1465 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
 
I don't see any grounds for you saying Obama is the worst for ANYTHING since he's not even halfway through one term.  And you can make an argument for FDR's policies being "bad" (as an opinion) when it comes to growth of government/debt, but saying he was bad for the economy is silly-talk, I say.  Comes into a depression (THE Depression ... the GREAT Depression) and steers a poverty-stricken nation towards prosperity again.  I've never heard anyone (on any level, from elementary school up through college, and beyond) say that FDR was anywhere NEAR the worst president for the economy, or overall.
In college it was professors that taught me about FDR. Basically there is sufficient evidence that our country would've come out of the Great Depression without creating a monster of a government like he did ..... one that would inevitably lead our country down the same road, because even back then, it was apparent our government had ISSUES handling our money. (sole reason for his being #1 on my list ............ his actions caused the return to where we are now).

Obama gets ranked with him for two reasons: "Not-so Stimulus" bill and "Kinda-more-but-kinda-less" Mediocre-Care.

The end result of these two alone will put our country into the exact same position we are in now! It's only a matter of time before we hit rock bottom again.

Everyone agrees it's wise to "teach a man to fish rather than give him a fish" ... but supporters of Obama and/or FDR simply refuse to look our government in that manner.

It's better to teach our government how to fish, rather than to keep feeding them fish! Which is all we are really doing.
1. Obama  2. No More  3. No More  
#88 | 1465 days ago

I have a problem with "Everyone agrees/does" and "But supporters of so and so refuse whatever the opposing opinion is" kind of statements. They rub me the wrong way and causes my fingers to itch and go all  "type-written word" battle.lol  I am fighting this urge right now (sort of because I too, am not that big a fan of FDR, but for other reasons). All I will type now is this. There are some very smart people commenting on this thread (not all I agree with).
1. Carter  2. Nixon  3. Bush Jr  
#89 | 1465 days ago

icfeet wrote:
Some good points here....I'll put in my 2 cents (guess that makes 4 or 6 cents in this poll)...I feel that the government spends too much...and I think that the current strategy of "spending" our way out of a recession just DOESN'T work.  Recently, Medicare payments (70% of my income) stopped for 5 weeks....(June SUCKED)...did I INCREASE my spending???  NO..I CUT BACK.  Now, my budget is a LITTLE smaller than the Fed.  I've said it before...TAX CUTS WORK.  Every time that taxes have been cut (Kennedy, Reagan, W), revenues to the treasury have INCREASED.  Now, some people have argued that deficits INCREASED....while true, it happened because  congress did not cut spending to go along with the increased revenue...they couldn't keep their hands off the new wealth. 
I employ two people in my office...and my office runs most efficiently when there are 3 employees....but....as a business owner, I'm a little leery to hire that third person now because of talk of expiring the Bush tax cuts...I don't want to hire someone, just to lay them off in January because I can't afford the taxes.  Obama could announce that he was suspending payroll taxes for the next six months...AND THE ECONOMY WOULD TAKE OFF!!  People would have more money to spend, thereby requiring employees in restaurants, retail stores, vacation spots, etc...it goes on and on...
Well, we WERE talking about the New Deal, but ok.

I understand your point, Kurt. However, every recession/depression is different. Even one of the most notable economists who helped Reagan develop his Reaganomics tax cuts has publicly stated that, in THIS recession, tax cuts would not work and that increasing the flow of money in our market (i.e. stimulus) was the absolute best and only move to make.
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#90 | 1464 days ago

icfeet wrote:
Some good points here....I'll put in my 2 cents (guess that makes 4 or 6 cents in this poll)...I feel that the government spends too much...and I think that the current strategy of "spending" our way out of a recession just DOESN'T work.  Recently, Medicare payments (70% of my income) stopped for 5 weeks....(June SUCKED)...did I INCREASE my spending???  NO..I CUT BACK.  Now, my budget is a LITTLE smaller than the Fed.  I've said it before...TAX CUTS WORK.  Every time that taxes have been cut (Kennedy, Reagan, W), revenues to the treasury have INCREASED.  Now, some people have argued that deficits INCREASED....while true, it happened because  congress did not cut spending to go along with the increased revenue...they couldn't keep their hands off the new wealth. 
I employ two people in my office...and my office runs most efficiently when there are 3 employees....but....as a business owner, I'm a little leery to hire that third person now because of talk of expiring the Bush tax cuts...I don't want to hire someone, just to lay them off in January because I can't afford the taxes.  Obama could announce that he was suspending payroll taxes for the next six months...AND THE ECONOMY WOULD TAKE OFF!!  People would have more money to spend, thereby requiring employees in restaurants, retail stores, vacation spots, etc...it goes on and on...
unless you are making more than 250,000  your taxes will not go up.....obama is talking about tax hikes for people making over 1/4 million......most of his platforms are to help small business like yours..by helping you subsidize your benefits and giving you more write off for expenditures and such.. read his platform for small business at whitehouse.gov...you can ask just about anything and have anything answered.......he is trying to bring back a class of people that has been hit very hard.the middle class.... we have way too many huge corps that put their money overseas to avoid payig their fair share of taxes...it is unfair,imho...take teva(a pharmacutical company..they are an american company but they run their money through other countries then back into the states to wash their books of the tru amounts of profits they make...they also make inferior products in 3rd world countries taking away american jobs,which makes them more money......talk to your local pharmacist bout teva...and their generic drugs.many will tell you they are inferior in quality to many other generic companies.... when america starts realizing that quality over quanitity saves money...we may build our economy back up. china for instanc ehas no regulations on their chemicals , the yuse in most their products..look at the recalls we have had...the dog food was made in china...the toys ful of lead are made there.....Read" America On the Cheap" this should be a book every american should be required to read......it certainly validated so many things  for me!!!
#91 | 1463 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
Well, we WERE talking about the New Deal, but ok.

I understand your point, Kurt. However, every recession/depression is different. Even one of the most notable economists who helped Reagan develop his Reaganomics tax cuts has publicly stated that, in THIS recession, tax cuts would not work and that increasing the flow of money in our market (i.e. stimulus) was the absolute best and only move to make.
well...sorry I rambled...but the New Deal DID increase spending and quite possibly made the Depression last longer than it would have if market forces were allowed to work.  Hoover tried to stimulate the economy by spending...I know there are no easy answers, but from my perspective, the government needs to get OUT of a LOT of things they're in...
1. Carter  2. Obama  3. No More  
#92 | 1463 days ago

icfeet wrote:
well...sorry I rambled...but the New Deal DID increase spending and quite possibly made the Depression last longer than it would have if market forces were allowed to work.  Hoover tried to stimulate the economy by spending...I know there are no easy answers, but from my perspective, the government needs to get OUT of a LOT of things they're in...
Hoover was known for his overly laissez-faire attitude towards the recession/pending-depression.  His lack of intervention led to the deepening of the economic problems, including the slums that were dubbed "Hoovervilles".  

We do agree to an extent, however, that the government is involved in certain things when they should keep their noses out of them.
1. Bush Jr  2. Bush Sr  3. Ford  
#93 | 1463 days ago

Pat wrote:
"He has been met with nothing but blatant disregard for him self and the office that he holds"

I can't really agree with that at all, since he was the most celebrated president of my lifetime, even before he took office. I agree that SOME people have treated him negatively, but overall he has been very well liked and respected, even without giving people a reason to do so.

As for the Republicans, they are trying to help him fix this country. The problem is, Republicans and Democrats have different methods of fixing it. So obviously they're not going to just vote for his policies to be nice... Republicans think that Democrat policies will ruin the country, and vice versa. This is very basic politics.
and IMHO exactly why we need a true legitimate 3rd party......maybe then we might actually get things done on an even keel..not 8 years of this  and 4 years of that, teetering politics get us no where..accountability can.
#94 | 1461 days ago

My final word on this issue:

The problem with our government is ... they can't fix their own problems.  Whether Democrat or Republican (and that's probably the last time you'll ever see me spell those two party names correctly) the answer is to our "government's" problems is to take more from the people! 

The very premise of a "governing body" is not to feed off the people!  It's for a group of individuals, as part of a body of people, to put in place rules and regulations for the people to follow in a peacable manner (so long as we are talking about a government that in some way, shape or form resembles Democracy). 

When a governing body starts to believe that in order to "help" the people it must take a 3rd of any of the citizen's property, income, or other assets, it ceases to be a "Governing Body" and becomes a Fn leech!!

And that's where we stand!

If you live in America, and you believe in the "American Dream" than you're living a hypocritical life if you for a moment think it's ok to tax rich people at a significantly higher percentage, merely because "they are rich and can afford it." 

We're fed b.s. from  our government, because we accept as a populace.  We look at one of the most failing institutions/organizations of the modern world, our government, and we continually accept the fact that they fraudulently abuse our money, and take for granted our well-being!

To say it's ok, or even hint at the fact that it's not necessarily a bad thing, for this government to get any larger then it is, is irresponsible on our part!!  Almost nobody likes the fact that banking institutions, who received a bailout from the government, still paid out, and continue to pay out bonuses to senior execs ..............

This isn't all that different! 

We know our government CAN'T handle money!  They can't agree on what's best for us, and on top of that, they don't really do s*** to find out WTF we think!!  I've never met anyone who's someone who knew someone, who knew someone else, who's ever taken one of these surveys that CNN or any other news agency conducts to say what it is we think of our government ... and I think the whole process is a sham to keep a "white wash" over our eyes!

Down-sizing is what we need! And quite frankly, I'm shocked that fewer individuals in places of power realize that this is probably something we, as the unimpowered, agree on the most.

It doesn't really matter what we think about Obama, the one thing we can all see by his actions, and the policies he presents or passes, is that his solution to every problem in our government, is to increase the burden on us!  He talked about managing the "pork" but that's all it was!  He spoke of crooked politics, but brings his Chicago-style to support Congressional candidates in order to maintain a majority of Congress ................................... why would someone with "so much approval from the nation he leads" still practically REQUIRE a majority Congress???  <~~~  I could go on ..........  Done
1. Obama  2. No More  3. No More  
#95 | 1461 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

RichyMcWiggleSr wrote:
My final word on this issue:

The problem with our government is ... they can't fix their own problems.  Whether Democrat or Republican (and that's probably the last time you'll ever see me spell those two party names correctly) the answer is to our "government's" problems is to take more from the people! 

The very premise of a "governing body" is not to feed off the people!  It's for a group of individuals, as part of a body of people, to put in place rules and regulations for the people to follow in a peacable manner (so long as we are talking about a government that in some way, shape or form resembles Democracy). 

When a governing body starts to believe that in order to "help" the people it must take a 3rd of any of the citizen's property, income, or other assets, it ceases to be a "Governing Body" and becomes a Fn leech!!

And that's where we stand!

If you live in America, and you believe in the "American Dream" than you're living a hypocritical life if you for a moment think it's ok to tax rich people at a significantly higher percentage, merely because "they are rich and can afford it." 

We're fed b.s. from  our government, because we accept as a populace.  We look at one of the most failing institutions/organizations of the modern world, our government, and we continually accept the fact that they fraudulently abuse our money, and take for granted our well-being!

To say it's ok, or even hint at the fact that it's not necessarily a bad thing, for this government to get any larger then it is, is irresponsible on our part!!  Almost nobody likes the fact that banking institutions, who received a bailout from the government, still paid out, and continue to pay out bonuses to senior execs ..............

This isn't all that different! 

We know our government CAN'T handle money!  They can't agree on what's best for us, and on top of that, they don't really do s*** to find out WTF we think!!  I've never met anyone who's someone who knew someone, who knew someone else, who's ever taken one of these surveys that CNN or any other news agency conducts to say what it is we think of our government ... and I think the whole process is a sham to keep a "white wash" over our eyes!

Down-sizing is what we need! And quite frankly, I'm shocked that fewer individuals in places of power realize that this is probably something we, as the unimpowered, agree on the most.

It doesn't really matter what we think about Obama, the one thing we can all see by his actions, and the policies he presents or passes, is that his solution to every problem in our government, is to increase the burden on us!  He talked about managing the "pork" but that's all it was!  He spoke of crooked politics, but brings his Chicago-style to support Congressional candidates in order to maintain a majority of Congress ................................... why would someone with "so much approval from the nation he leads" still practically REQUIRE a majority Congress???  <~~~  I could go on ..........  Done
 Let me tell you a little Chicago politics isn't such a bad thing the Daleys have ran that city very well.  And have ran it with a very tight fist.  And at some point someone is going to have to say enough is enough like both of the Daleys did.  Would I like Obama to do that yes, will he I dont know.  I agree with everything you have said in your comment, my question is how do we as a people take back this government that is by the people, of the people, and for the people? 
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#96 | 1461 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Let me tell you a little Chicago politics isn't such a bad thing the Daleys have ran that city very well.  And have ran it with a very tight fist.  And at some point someone is going to have to say enough is enough like both of the Daleys did.  Would I like Obama to do that yes, will he I dont know.  I agree with everything you have said in your comment, my question is how do we as a people take back this government that is by the people, of the people, and for the people? 
For starters, instead of selecting a candidate on the Voter ballots, we write in a candidate.

Even if it's "Uncle Buck" from "Humboldt, KS," we'll be better off then if we simply select one of the two options!  The electoral college and all the election campaigns would become much more readily available to the public if all of sudden one election, NOBODY (or even less than 10%) voted for a Republican or Democrat.

That would be "Change!" 
1. Obama  2. No More  3. No More  
#97 | 1461 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

RichyMcWiggleSr wrote:
For starters, instead of selecting a candidate on the Voter ballots, we write in a candidate.

Even if it's "Uncle Buck" from "Humboldt, KS," we'll be better off then if we simply select one of the two options!  The electoral college and all the election campaigns would become much more readily available to the public if all of sudden one election, NOBODY (or even less than 10%) voted for a Republican or Democrat.

That would be "Change!" 
 Well I'll tell you right now the Tea Party scares the s**t out of me. So I will not vote for them
1. Bush Jr  2. Carter  3. Bush Sr  
#98 | 1461 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Well I'll tell you right now the Tea Party scares the s**t out of me. So I will not vote for them
I wouldn't either. 

I refuse to vote for anyone who is willing to state something like, "I belong to the _____ Party"

Either we vote for an "American" or we don't!  That's what it's all about!  Which is why there are no qualifications outside of age and citizenship.  Members of a party will ALWAYS sell out on their own ideals to benefit the party.
1. Obama  2. No More  3. No More  
#99 | 1461 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
dont get me started on johnson that #$%%^$%%
I don't think Johnson was one of the worst. I don't think he was great either. Vietnam was his down fall. He also did a lot of things that were good for the Country. I'd probably put Johnson as a fair rated President.
1. Carter  2. No More  3. No More  
#100 | 1460 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
 Well I'll tell you right now the Tea Party scares the s**t out of me. So I will not vote for them
Just a reminder...  The Tea Party is a movement  Not a political party.  They can endorse candidates.  But they don't nominate them. 

As an entity, the Tea Party has more in common with the Sierra Club than any political party.
1. Ford  2. Bush Jr  3. Obama  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
F/E 7/31
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Today
8 opinions | 16 comments | Last by woody050681
F/E 7/30
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Yesterday
9 opinions | 30 comments | Last by Debi_L
7-28 FanIQ Summertime Poll in Review
Asked by hclcdestin | Locker Room, FanIQ | 5 questions asked 07/28/14
25 opinions | 5 comments | Last by Beaneaters
F/E 7/29
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 07/29/14
6 opinions | 16 comments | Last by woody050681
F/E 7/28
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 07/28/14
9 opinions | 22 comments | Last by Debi_L