Skip to Next Poll »
6
Jess's Daily Q - 9/12/10: Kickoff Special
If you're friends with me on Facebook, answer both places so everyone else can see :)

GAMETIME! Kickoff Special Question of the Day: Whether you follow sports or not, do you have teams you wouldn't call your "Favorites" but you cheer for them (if they're not playing against your team) because you have a friend or family member who's a big fan, or you have some other history with the team that gives you an interest?

| Closed on 09/13/10 at 11:00AM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
19 Fans 
32%a. I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend
11%b. I'll cheer for ___ because of a family member
37%c. I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team
21%d. MY team is the ONLY team
0%e. I don't want to play

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#5 | 1471 days ago

I cheer for Seahawks because of the infamous Jess
I cheer for the Tigers because of my sis Susan
I cheer for Steelers because of a hot M&M
I cheer for Cubs because of Glenda and many others
I cheer for Kings because of that Teacher dont want detention
I cheer for all my Teams because they Rock! 
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
  
38 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1471 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

 Yes I do. I cheer for the Saints because it is where Mike Ditka went after he left the Bears. And I just kept watching them, so unless they are playing the Bears I want them to win.

And I like the Padres, so I always want to see them win unless they play my beloved Cubs. 
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#2 | 1471 days ago

I keep an eye on the Seattle Seahawks because of my friend Mike (SHOUT OUT, go radier's) besides technically they're the home team!
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#3 | 1471 days ago

(Edited by Kenne)
Vikings, Timberwolves, Cubs - I am originally from the Midwest and rooted for these teams for a while as a kid. I was a Cubs fan before the Diamondbacks entered the league. I have nothing better to do now than to make fun of the pennant-less Cubbies, thanks to our dearest Glenda, but I still am a partial fan because of my grandmother taking me to their games.

Also the LA Kings, I was a fan of theirs before the Coyotes moved to Phoenix, but that has died down since I have gotten to know Becky on here.
#4 | 1471 days ago
18packabs (+)

I hate all teams except mine, so there......
MY team is the ONLY team  
#5 | 1471 days ago

I cheer for Seahawks because of the infamous Jess
I cheer for the Tigers because of my sis Susan
I cheer for Steelers because of a hot M&M
I cheer for Cubs because of Glenda and many others
I cheer for Kings because of that Teacher dont want detention
I cheer for all my Teams because they Rock! 
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#6 | 1471 days ago



I will cheer for the Houston Texans , closest team besides our beloved saints.  And i catch some sports games in houston from time to time.
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#7 | 1471 days ago

Kenne wrote:
Vikings, Timberwolves, Cubs - I am originally from the Midwest and rooted for these teams for a while as a kid. I was a Cubs fan before the Diamondbacks entered the league. I have nothing better to do now than to make fun of the pennant-less Cubbies, thanks to our dearest Glenda, but I still am a partial fan because of my grandmother taking me to their games.

Also the LA Kings, I was a fan of theirs before the Coyotes moved to Phoenix, but that has died down since I have gotten to know Becky on here.
Jerk.



I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#8 | 1471 days ago

I will root for teams with players I'm familiar with (either they use to be on my favorite team or they went to college near or grew up where I live) and some I root for because it will make some pretty cool people happy if they win (Falcons, Texans, Chargers, etc..). Though there are some teams (Niners and Steelers......kind of the Vikings----though this one is changing) that I will NEVER root for despite having some pretty nice people rooting for them. I just can't do it.
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#9 | 1471 days ago

The Steelers are now, and will always be my only team.  However, I will cheer for other teams when they're playing against my heated rivals.
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#10 | 1471 days ago

yes   several...the vikes because my friend Robbie lost his life and that was his team,,and he gave me his vikes jacket....the rams caus eim born and raised so cal...  niners cause even hen they were 0-16 i rooted...and raiders for my son and friends,,indy cause they have  amanning at helm..BU None of them are MY GIANTS!!!!!  GOOOOOO BIG BLUE!
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#11 | 1471 days ago

umm yeah..we've met right? I will pick who I want to win in every game because I watch them all, but i typically won't care who wins unless it's one of my teams. My #2 are the Vikings, of course, and then the Colts simply because I love thir style of play.

I will TRY to follow a bit of hockey because of Becky and MAYBE college football because of Cranium, Tiger, and I just don't like not knowing what the hell is going on.
#12 | 1471 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
yes   several...the vikes because my friend Robbie lost his life and that was his team,,and he gave me his vikes jacket....the rams caus eim born and raised so cal...  niners cause even hen they were 0-16 i rooted...and raiders for my son and friends,,indy cause they have  amanning at helm..BU None of them are MY GIANTS!!!!!  GOOOOOO BIG BLUE!
I thought the 2008 Lions are the only team to go 0-16?
#13 | 1471 days ago

The only time I ever even care what another team does is if I have money on the game.
MY team is the ONLY team  
#14 | 1471 days ago

For football, I'll root for the Seahawks, Browns, Bengals, and Cards for friends of mine, Q and real life, as well as whoever's playing against the Bears, Vikings, Cowboys, and Steelers. That, plus rooting for whoever I have Q bucks on should take care of all the games.
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#15 | 1471 days ago

I don't have specific teams, it's players I follow. I root for the Raiders and Miami Dolphins because of former Auburn Tigers being there. It was the Redskins I liked, until the traded Jason Campbell to the Raiders.

#16 | 1471 days ago

(Edited by Onegoodredhead2)
Kenne wrote:
I thought the 2008 Lions are the only team to go 0-16?
this was in the 70s..... ninersdid really bad  tey may have won oneot 2   bt not many  i think plunkett was their qb then
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#17 | 1471 days ago

The Steelers,my father in law was the fan,while he was with us and since he left,i have  always followed the Steel Curtain........

#18 | 1471 days ago

The Steelers for my grandsons.
I'll cheer for ___ because of a family member  
#19 | 1471 days ago

I lived on the coast in the 70`s and followed western teams..BC Lions, Seahawks and Canucks. Still a big Lions fan and root for the other teams secretly.
#20 | 1471 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
this was in the 70s..... ninersdid really bad  tey may have won oneot 2   bt not many  i think plunkett was their qb then
I looked it up, they went 2-14 in both '78 and '79 (the year they had O.J. and right before they made Montana their starter)
#21 | 1471 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
this was in the 70s..... ninersdid really bad  tey may have won oneot 2   bt not many  i think plunkett was their qb then
ok so 2 i was close they still stunk,,,they tradeded plunkett to oakland and he did well..yes 78 sounds right as i was just back from canada
thanks for lookin
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#22 | 1471 days ago

yes i do...........ANY TEAM, that plays the PACKERS.........I HATE THEM THAT MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 | 1471 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

Lets see.....I started following the Seahawks when they came into the league because I could relegate them to my "AFC Team"; no longer applicable, but I still follow them as I can see their games every week.  After they moved to the NFC, I just transitioned to the new team in the league that replaced them--The Texans.  Although, it is fair to note that my aversion to the Raiders has subsided with the elapsed time since they were a division rival; and since Vikings were, in effect 'raiders', it is a fitting affiliation.  Unfortunately, their symbol is closer to that of a pirate--would I be pushing my luck to say Buccaneer?--than that of a historical raider, but that's a manner of perspective I suppose.  I'm tired, I'm rambling, and before I get latched onto another subject that may or may not be associated with the purpose of the thread, I suppose I should conclude this post now.

And see, if you're having a bad day, you can consider this stoppage with varying degrees of good luck......I'll shut-up now....

Really....
#24 | 1471 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

NorseHeathen wrote:
Lets see.....I started following the Seahawks when they came into the league because I could relegate them to my "AFC Team"; no longer applicable, but I still follow them as I can see their games every week.  After they moved to the NFC, I just transitioned to the new team in the league that replaced them--The Texans.  Although, it is fair to note that my aversion to the Raiders has subsided with the elapsed time since they were a division rival; and since Vikings were, in effect 'raiders', it is a fitting affiliation.  Unfortunately, their symbol is closer to that of a pirate--would I be pushing my luck to say Buccaneer?--than that of a historical raider, but that's a manner of perspective I suppose.  I'm tired, I'm rambling, and before I get latched onto another subject that may or may not be associated with the purpose of the thread, I suppose I should conclude this post now.

And see, if you're having a bad day, you can consider this stoppage with varying degrees of good luck......I'll shut-up now....

Really....




So do you?  
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#25 | 1471 days ago

(Edited by Jess)
Of course I follow and the Colts because that's the first team I ever loved, back before I discovered my home team and claimed the Seahawks.

Other than that, I follow the Giants for a few reasons (another family member, some friends, and it's kind of fun to watch Peyton's little brother.) I'll watch and cheer for the Jags because I watched Inside Training Camp with them one year (I know it's a stupid reason but it kind of got me attached). I follow Carolina because that's who my husband would say if he answered this question and that's just how it works out sometimes.

For hockey, I follow too many teams to name, because there's somebody, somewhere that I know and am fond of that I like to see how they're doing.

A lot of who I follow and cheer for from year to year other than my own teams depends a lot on who I have for Fantasy too. If a player is playing against my team, I just won't put them in my lineup. There are certain teams I refuse to root for though...Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers, Dallas Stars, and Red Wings come to mind.
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#26 | 1471 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:




So do you?  
haha I got out of that - he follows the Seahawks cuz he can watch their games, and because when they first came into the league they were his AFC team to root for.

He likes the Texans for his AFC team now.
He likes the Raiders because they're somewhat affiliated in a round about way to his Vikings

I might be wrong....
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#27 | 1471 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

(Edited by NorseHeathen)
cubsgirl2 wrote:




So do you?  
Do I what.....?

I told you I'm tired......you have to be very specific.....

Thought in my current frame of mind, I'm asking with a certain element of paranoia....heh, heh....
#28 | 1471 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

(Edited by NorseHeathen)
Jess wrote:
haha I got out of that - he follows the Seahawks cuz he can watch their games, and because when they first came into the league they were his AFC team to root for.

He likes the Texans for his AFC team now.
He likes the Raiders because they're somewhat affiliated in a round about way to his Vikings

I might be wrong....
You made more sense with what I was saying than did I.

Well done! 

As for other sports, I really don't follow any.  Although, Becky has me checking the hockey standings for the Kings now; I'll just say the Rockies because I watched Coors Field being built, the formation of the original team, and have seen some of their home games; and if I have to choose a basketball team, I'll start following the Blazers again--just to spite the Lakers fans....LOL!
#29 | 1471 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

NorseHeathen wrote:
Do I what.....?

I told you I'm tired......you have to be very specific.....

Thought in my current frame of mind, I'm asking with a certain element of paranoia....heh, heh....
Lol, if I was an ornery person I could have fun with that.


wait a minute I am. 
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#30 | 1471 days ago

NorseHeathen wrote:
You made more sense with what I was saying than did I.

Well done! 

As for other sports, I really don't follow any.  Although, Becky has me checking the hockey standings for the Kings now; I'll just say the Rockies because I watched Coors Field being built, the formation of the original team, and have seen some of their home games; and if I have to choose a basketball team, I'll start following the Blazers again--just to spite the Lakers fans....LOL!
Rolling Eyes
#31 | 1471 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

kobe_lova wrote:
Rolling Eyes
I know Ashlie.....I know....  However, considering when I was following basketball I'd been a Blazers fan since they entered the league in '77, opposing the Lakers has ingrained itself in my DNA.

Hey, you still ROCK, despite your Lakers disability.....(ducking)!
#32 | 1471 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
this was in the 70s..... ninersdid really bad  tey may have won oneot 2   bt not many  i think plunkett was their qb then
They were 2-14 in 1978 and in 1979 Steve DeBerg was the QB, Plunkett made an appearance but it was short-lived.....6-10 in 1980...13-3 in 1981...and the Dynasty was born
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#33 | 1471 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Michael_G wrote:
They were 2-14 in 1978 and in 1979 Steve DeBerg was the QB, Plunkett made an appearance but it was short-lived.....6-10 in 1980...13-3 in 1981...and the Dynasty was born
Oh I forgot about the dynasty. Yeah Montana was kinda pretty.

 
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#34 | 1471 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Oh I forgot about the dynasty. Yeah Montana was kinda pretty.

 
You're a dork...
I'll cheer for ___ due to a history I have with the team  
#35 | 1470 days ago

In baseball I'll root for the Cubs and Angels because my son likes those teams. In hockey I'll root for teams with players that I went to school with or went to the same school as me.
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  
#36 | 1470 days ago

Yup!
Calgary Flames are my hockey team, but some cool friends have me rooting for the Ducks, Kings, Caps and Sharks, and I have an old time Love of the Bruins and Flyers.  I know this makes no sense whatsoever, and it's not supposed to, so there!

In football, the Redskins have been my NFL team for a long time, while the Stampeders are my CFL Team, but the Broncos are closest to my home, so for a long time I was a Bronco fan.  I love the Saints because of their tenacity and the way they said "WHO DAT?!" to the rest of the world last year. I like the Pats for some unknown reason. 

I will NEVER cheer for the Steelers, Cowboys, Penguins, or Yankees, but most any other team will receive a bet from me on their behalf at some time or another.
#37 | 1470 days ago

kramer wrote:
The Steelers are now, and will always be my only team.  However, I will cheer for other teams when they're playing against my heated rivals.
 Like I always say ... I root for the Yankees and whoever is playing the Red Sox.  
#38 | 1470 days ago

Michael_G wrote:
They were 2-14 in 1978 and in 1979 Steve DeBerg was the QB, Plunkett made an appearance but it was short-lived.....6-10 in 1980...13-3 in 1981...and the Dynasty was born
well see i knew they stunk,,but i loved them any way and remembered that plunkett plyed for thm before oakland:) thnks clown nd kenne xo
I'll cheer for ___ because of a friend  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
Filter Error 9/18
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/18/14
5 opinions | 27 comments | Last by JenX63
Filter Error 9/19
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/19/14
7 opinions | 31 comments | Last by JenX63
Filter Error 9/17
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/17/14
10 opinions | 19 comments | Last by Dream_Machine
Favorite Teams?
Asked by OneStepBeyond | Locker Room, FanIQ | 1 questions asked 02/12/13
23 opinions | 26 comments | Last by ML31
True Confessional...
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/17/14
8 opinions | 24 comments | Last by icfeet