Skip to Next Poll »
7
Jess's Daily Q - 9/29/10
So yesterday we had a little scare, as Tropical Depression 15 was elevating into a Tropical Storm (it has...her name is Nicole) and I received phone calls both from my husband and from the command telling me to basically be ready for evacuation. I packed, pulled everything inside that might blow around in our carport, located a hotel, notified my mom (so she wouldn't worry if she couldn't get a hold of me, she'd know I got out on time), notified Ty and the team etc. The thing shifted east and won't even come within 100 miles of me. I'm sure at some point while I live here, we'll be evacuated.

I dealt with a tsunami related evacuation when I was in Washington state.

Several times when I lived in Idaho and eastern Washington we were told to stay inside because of various ice and snow storms, and freezing temperatures.

Have you ever had a similar experience to any of these?

Question of the Day: Have you ever had to be evacuated for any reason (storm, fire, mold, bugs) or been put on lockdown in your home (too cold, too hot, something dangerous outside, arrest...)? Explain the circumstance...

| Closed on 09/30/10 at 11:00AM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
25 Fans 
36%a. I've had to be evacuated for...
20%b. I've had to be on lockdown for...
24%c. I've experienced both (tell us about it)
20%d. I've never had to be evacuated or been on lockdown
0%e. I don't want to play

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 1295 days ago

Welcome to Florida, Jess. On several occasions I stayed and weathered the hurricane storms. After so many of those, I'd pack up and head to dryer ground. So yes, on many occasions, I get the heck out of dodge. Family and friends don't have to worry as much either if they know you're getting out of there.  You'll unfortunately, witness many more. But hey, come to Orlando, we'll have a hurricane party!
I've had to be evacuated for...  
  
40 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1295 days ago

Welcome to Florida, Jess. On several occasions I stayed and weathered the hurricane storms. After so many of those, I'd pack up and head to dryer ground. So yes, on many occasions, I get the heck out of dodge. Family and friends don't have to worry as much either if they know you're getting out of there.  You'll unfortunately, witness many more. But hey, come to Orlando, we'll have a hurricane party!
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#2 | 1295 days ago

SusanVette wrote:
Welcome to Florida, Jess. On several occasions I stayed and weathered the hurricane storms. After so many of those, I'd pack up and head to dryer ground. So yes, on many occasions, I get the heck out of dodge. Family and friends don't have to worry as much either if they know you're getting out of there.  You'll unfortunately, witness many more. But hey, come to Orlando, we'll have a hurricane party!
I've heard that people usually just weather these things even when evacuation is ordered. Problem is, even for the smallest storms, military people and their families have mandatory evacuation if there's an order so that option isn't even there for me.
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#3 | 1295 days ago

Never been evacuated but, I'm sure it sucks!
#4 | 1295 days ago

(Edited by VIOLET)
Fortunately I don't live near to the cost, the city is located in a valley so the only thing we get is a lot rain, especially these days when some hurricanes and storms are hitting the south of Mexico, people in there are having really rough times, I heard on the news these are the worst floods of all times. Government is asking for donations, I feel so sad for all those people that have lost everything! People in here have been evacuated sometimes due to rain, but just the poorest neighborhoods (like usual) they are the most affected.  (I was about to type a cuss word before _____ Mexican government, deep breath....I'm OK now)
#5 | 1295 days ago

(Edited by kteacher)
That sucks.
I've never had to be evacuated or been on lockdown  
#6 | 1295 days ago

the most infamous day in America  9/11/01
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#7 | 1295 days ago



Well i live on the Louisiana Gulf Coast , and we are at times like a magnet for Hurricanes from large to small.  We get evacuation orders for huge storms but honestly few people actually leave as Cajun people just do not believe in leaving their homeland and homes even in the face of such destructive storms and yes it may sound stupid to some and even ignorant but its part of our culture and you really have to understand the people here and know the area to understand.


And honestly for anything under a Category 3 , its Hurricane Party Time !    Yes they actually do happen and its not just a joke like myth.


But we have also seen some of the most disheartening disaster from being hit by these storms and its just a part of living where we love that from time to time the chances of you loosing everything you have comes around.
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#8 | 1295 days ago

I live one block from the Intracoastal,  less than 1/2 mile west of the Atlantic.  I am living in an evacuation zone. 
They can't make us leave, but we do anyway if the sustained winds get over 70 mph.  Giant trees across the street
and coconut projectiles.  Not so much fun.  We go west of the Turnpike and stay at Robs brothers house with his wife and kids.
Dan is a PBC firefighter and has to go to the station.  I just take pictures and stuff that can't be replaced.

Kids had school today, not so happy with the district putting my kids on buses in high winds and flooding streets.  People can't drive here when it is hot and dry.   Stupid state funding testing is this week. 
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#9 | 1295 days ago

I've never officially been on lockdown, per se, but I have been through a tornado and a few "state of emergency" snowstorms where is was probably best to stay in.  
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#10 | 1295 days ago

Only had to stay in for ice and snow storms and high heat.    No lockdown.
I've never had to be evacuated or been on lockdown  
#11 | 1295 days ago
ferrinhite (+)

Here in soCal, no stormage, just the occasional earthquake scares. Tweeters are saying we're gonna have a (the?) big one tomorrow (9/30).

But otherwise, I've been evacuated from a lot of bars for misbehavior of various and shameful sorts. And a couple of relationships, too.
#12 | 1295 days ago

Sometime in the winter during blizzards or arctic cold spells the news tells people to avoid going outside, but no one listens or cares.
I've never had to be evacuated or been on lockdown  
#13 | 1295 days ago

Here in SoCal we were evacuated once for a fire...but winds shifted and we didn't stay out of the house that long!
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#14 | 1295 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Sometime in the winter during blizzards or arctic cold spells the news tells people to avoid going outside, but no one listens or cares.
^^^this^^^

It's almost like people make an effort to go out, only to make things worse when you try and get somewhere.  Some of the older folk head to grocery stores and buy up all the necessities like WW3 is coming.   
#15 | 1295 days ago
huskerfan_ia (+)

I've never had to evacuate for an event like you describe, though I've been in a couple of situations where we needed to evacuate due to flooding.
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#16 | 1295 days ago

In Tennessee I was locked down at a mall of all places because outside of the mall there were like a million tornadoes.  (I didn't count all of them, I'm just estimating the seriousness of the Apocalypse.)  Before that when I lived in Texas, we had to be evacuated from our house because of a freaking natural gas leak in our neighborhood.  Oh and there was an evacuation because of a flood, when the San Jacinto River flooded.  It rained for like 3 weeks straight that year.  I think that was the first Apocalypse, we have Apocalypses regularly.  The end of the world is nye at least three times a week.
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#17 | 1295 days ago

(Edited by Joe_L)
Thankfully, I have never been evacuated. Although working for WM Green Team, I've had my share of dealings with weather related disasters. Jess, I'm glad to hear it's not going to hit the Keys, I sure could have used a vacation there though.
I've never had to be evacuated or been on lockdown  
#18 | 1295 days ago

We were evacuated for a Tsunami when I lived on the Queen Charlotte islands, but I didn't evacuate because I was a firefighter.

We had a heavy snowfall/blizzard warning a few years ago that resulted in the snow being so deep we could look down into our dining room window.  Some people were trapped in their homes for 4 days.  It took 10 days for some of the MAIN roads to be cleared and some of the side roads didn't re-open until spring breakup
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#19 | 1295 days ago

I haven't had to experience any evacuations due to natural disaster, but I have had a couple of co-workers who were evacuated during some bad fire seasons in recent years.  (Although, I did help my mom pre-evacuate some important documents and stuff from her house, but total evacuation was not necessary)

I have been through a few of bomb threat evacuations at work.   A couple of those were called in to Walmart when I worked there( 2 separate stores)    And my day job, we had to be evacuated when a suspicious package was discovered behind one of the office buildings in our complex.  (Although, I did not think there was anything to that one, even as we were evacuated...that office was a training facility for military and law enforcement personnel.  I would see them out back with fake rifles, searching vehicles for explosives or other stuff, etc.   I think the suspicious package was a fake "bomb" of theirs for training.)
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#20 | 1295 days ago

Allison, we stayed home Ike, did minimal damage, but we still left.  Left before Rita hit in '05 too (but we adopted my dog after the storm so that was a good deal).
#21 | 1295 days ago

(Edited by Nikki20)
Nicole.. a hurricane named after me..

Halloween of 1991.... We got almost 4 feet of snow in a 2 day time frame. The City shut down  for the day, No traffic was allowed out. . The plows had a hard time getting the emergency roads open. 
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#22 | 1295 days ago

Nikki20 wrote:
Nicole.. a hurricane named after me..

Halloween of 1991.... We got almost 4 feet of snow in a 2 day time frame. The City shut down  for the day, No traffic was allowed out. . The plows had a hard time getting the emergency roads open. 
Were there trick or treaters on November 1?  I hope so, otherwise that sucks.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#23 | 1295 days ago

(Edited by Jess)
janet011685 wrote:
Were there trick or treaters on November 1?  I hope so, otherwise that sucks.
I hear they postponed trick-or-treating to Nov. 1 here because Fantasy Fest (like the week long mini mardi-gras or something of Key West) was still going on, on Halloween one year.
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#24 | 1295 days ago

Jess wrote:
I hear they postponed trick-or-treating to Nov. 1 here because Fantasy Fest (like the week long mini mardi-gras or something of Key West) was still going on, on Halloween one year.
That's unacceptable ... reason #2 I can't live there.

Natural disasters or Gay Pride parades are the only acceptable reasons to postpone Halloween festivities.  And the gays would NEVER do that to me.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#25 | 1295 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
That's unacceptable ... reason #2 I can't live there.

Natural disasters or Gay Pride parades are the only acceptable reasons to postpone Halloween festivities.  And the gays would NEVER do that to me.
Oh no you misunderstood...Fantasy Fest is basically like an adult Halloween, a week long Gay Pride Parade, and Mardi-Gras all rolled into one.
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#26 | 1294 days ago

My only trip to Disney World was in 1999, I think. There was a big hurricane scare and they closed down all of the parks and told us to stay in our rooms. Everyone was telling us to leave the state, but we just stayed in our rooms and rode out the storm. The next morning is was sunny and nice, and they ended up opening a few of the parks for everyone. We were also told to be ready to move in case they had to move us to a shelter or something.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#27 | 1294 days ago

growing up in so calif canyons..we had fires all the time and had to evacuate.....was there for the sylmar quake as well..... we had to evacuate at tahoe when harvys was bombed...and like square..we had bomb parties.....all over the lake where it was safe....tahoe is also a high fore danger like the fire 2 summers ago where over 200 homes were lost.... in virginia i got to experience hurricane hugo, tornados nd huge rain falls......the tornado was the worst by far....if they come early in the morning and you dont have a telly on ad the town doesnt have warning hors...you dont know untill you hear what sounds like a freight train comming at you out of no where.....you run for your life to take cover as you scoop up 3 babies 3 years old and under and pray.....worst feeling ever....
      here i was at the lake, my sister called me and said my area i lived had a fire to et home....we tore down the hill nd the fire dept wouldnt let us in becaus ethey were dropping retardent.....i called my brother i n law(hes a ire chief)..and put him on the phone....i was passed through......i had my horses there and was no way i wasnt getting home to trailer them out......thankfully it didnt jump the road and we were ok.....i put a new composition roof on my house that year!!...lock down no..but snowed in yes......winter of 91 we received 5 feet of snow over night and 15 feet in 2 1/2 days......  you were stuck..untill the snow plows cme...had to drag hay to the horses on a sled!!!   ohhh the memories.....
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#28 | 1294 days ago

I have gone through both!  I’m in the military so I have gone through my share of drills, alarms, and evacuations!

You haven’t seen anything until you see a bunch of guys running from a shower tent to a bunker in Iraq butt-naked after a alarm!

I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#29 | 1294 days ago

Blizzard of '96...Jan 7-8 we were on lockdown.  Hurricane Gloria in Sept. 1985, they "recommended" evacuation, but it was nothing...storm passed by the coast further out than they anticipated.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#30 | 1294 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
Were there trick or treaters on November 1?  I hope so, otherwise that sucks.
No, the city didn't even move for 3 days until after it stopped snowing.  Some got in before the snow hit on Halloween. But after 630 you had to go home or you were not getting home.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#31 | 1294 days ago

cuddles127017 wrote:
Only had to stay in for ice and snow storms and high heat.    No lockdown.
We had an ice storm here that we lost power for 3 days after it stopped raining... Yes, I hate rain in December here! 
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#32 | 1294 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Sometime in the winter during blizzards or arctic cold spells the news tells people to avoid going outside, but no one listens or cares.
Yeah, no one listens to the snow or cold here.  Funny, I never thought  I would go outside at -20 here, but I do!  I hate it, kids still have to go to school! 
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#33 | 1294 days ago

jswol54 wrote:
^^^this^^^

It's almost like people make an effort to go out, only to make things worse when you try and get somewhere.  Some of the older folk head to grocery stores and buy up all the necessities like WW3 is coming.   
Don't I know it.  I do that sometimes here too. Only because of Lake Superior and that Effing Lake Effect Snow.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#34 | 1294 days ago

Onegoodredhead2 wrote:
growing up in so calif canyons..we had fires all the time and had to evacuate.....was there for the sylmar quake as well..... we had to evacuate at tahoe when harvys was bombed...and like square..we had bomb parties.....all over the lake where it was safe....tahoe is also a high fore danger like the fire 2 summers ago where over 200 homes were lost.... in virginia i got to experience hurricane hugo, tornados nd huge rain falls......the tornado was the worst by far....if they come early in the morning and you dont have a telly on ad the town doesnt have warning hors...you dont know untill you hear what sounds like a freight train comming at you out of no where.....you run for your life to take cover as you scoop up 3 babies 3 years old and under and pray.....worst feeling ever....
      here i was at the lake, my sister called me and said my area i lived had a fire to et home....we tore down the hill nd the fire dept wouldnt let us in becaus ethey were dropping retardent.....i called my brother i n law(hes a ire chief)..and put him on the phone....i was passed through......i had my horses there and was no way i wasnt getting home to trailer them out......thankfully it didnt jump the road and we were ok.....i put a new composition roof on my house that year!!...lock down no..but snowed in yes......winter of 91 we received 5 feet of snow over night and 15 feet in 2 1/2 days......  you were stuck..untill the snow plows cme...had to drag hay to the horses on a sled!!!   ohhh the memories.....
I thought my storm was bad at 4 feet.  I will never complain again! 
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#35 | 1294 days ago

Jess wrote:
Oh no you misunderstood...Fantasy Fest is basically like an adult Halloween, a week long Gay Pride Parade, and Mardi-Gras all rolled into one.
Do they have drag queens, Mardi Gras beads (getting earned the hard way), and hot bois wearing little more than body paint? If so, ok, I'll allow it.
I've had to be on lockdown for...  
#36 | 1294 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
Do they have drag queens, Mardi Gras beads (getting earned the hard way), and hot bois wearing little more than body paint? If so, ok, I'll allow it.
Yes, Yes, I'm not sure, but I think probably, pretty much EVERYBODY down on Duval that week wears little more than body paint.

I have a picture on my Facebook that I can't post here due to Code of Conduct reasons of me and Nellie (sports_schmorts) down on Duval on a regular Saturday night that gives some sort of idea of what it's normally like here. Amplified for Fantasy Fest is almost scary. I know I will have to find a sitter, for sure, just to go downtown.
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#37 | 1294 days ago
huskerfan_ia (+)

Jess wrote:
Yes, Yes, I'm not sure, but I think probably, pretty much EVERYBODY down on Duval that week wears little more than body paint.

I have a picture on my Facebook that I can't post here due to Code of Conduct reasons of me and Nellie (sports_schmorts) down on Duval on a regular Saturday night that gives some sort of idea of what it's normally like here. Amplified for Fantasy Fest is almost scary. I know I will have to find a sitter, for sure, just to go downtown.
These CoC violations...

Do they pertain to you, or to random people in the background.

signed,
Curious
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#38 | 1294 days ago

huskerfan_ia wrote:
These CoC violations...

Do they pertain to you, or to random people in the background.

signed,
Curious
LOL no way on Earth would I ever even TAKE a picture of my self that would violate the code of conduct, let alone post it on Facebook.
This is of a random guy that's actually in the picture (Nellie's got her arm around him)
I've experienced both (tell us about it)  
#39 | 1294 days ago

I've been down there once. I took a date with me and the guys hit on him all the time, ugh. Hardly any clothes, but you have the time of your life. There are web cams all over so loved ones, ugh, can follow you. It really is something to be experienced. As the days progress, less and less clothing. Beautiful body painting though.   
I've had to be evacuated for...  
#40 | 1294 days ago
huskerfan_ia (+)

Jess wrote:
LOL no way on Earth would I ever even TAKE a picture of my self that would violate the code of conduct, let alone post it on Facebook.
This is of a random guy that's actually in the picture (Nellie's got her arm around him)
I hear things get a little crazy when you two get together, so I had to ask.  
I've had to be evacuated for...  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
F/E 4/16
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Today
0 opinions | 3 comments | Last by -
F/E 4/15
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Yesterday
5 opinions | 12 comments | Last by marcus_nyce
F/E 4/14
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/14/14
6 opinions | 22 comments | Last by woody050681
F/E 4/11
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/11/14
8 opinions | 23 comments | Last by Debi_L
30 DAY DRAWING CHALLENGE DAY 25
Asked by ms_hippie_queen | Locker Room, Miscellaneous | 1 questions asked 08/19/13
6 opinions | 3 comments | Last by woody050681