Skip to Next Poll »
8
Book Club Vote for September (Edited 08/29/11 07:30AM by )
So I was told that it is my turn to pick 3 books to Vote on! I am not good at choosing books for other people to read. But I'll give it a shot!

Water for Elephants By Sara Gruen: Nonagenarian Jacob Jankowski reflects back on his wild and wondrous days with a circus. It’s the Depression Era and Jacob, finding himself parentless and penniless, joins the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. There he meets the freaks, grifters, and misfits that populate this world. He introduces us to Marlena, beautiful star of the equestrian act; to August, her charismatic but twisted husband (and the circus’s animal trainer); and to Rosie, the seemingly untrainable elephant Jacob cares for.

Trapped by Jack Kilborn: It was supposed to be a harmless camping trip. Six wayward teenagers who'd run into trouble with the law, and their court-appointed guardians, Sara and Martin Randhurst. Three nights on a small, deserted island off of Michigan's upper peninsula. A time to bond, to learn, to heal. Then Martin told a campfire story about the island's history. Of the old civil war prison hidden in there, and the starving confederate soldiers who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive. Everyone thought it was funny. They even laughed when Martin pretended to be dragged off into the woods. But Martin didn't come back. And neither did Sara when she went in search of him. Then the laughter stopped.

The group soon began to realize that this deserted island wasn't so deserted after all. And perhaps Martin's ridiculous story had more truth to it than anyone thought. What's the most horrifying thing you can imagine? This is a hundred times worse...


One Day by David Nichols: It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day—July 15th—of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

So there's the choices go ahead and vote

 

| Closed on 09/05/11 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll

Tagged as:   Book Review
15 Fans 
33%a. Water For Elephants
47%b. Trapped
20%c. One Day

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#4 | 966 days ago

(Edited by kteacher)
I'd probably be ok reading any of the three.  I saw One Day last week. I liked it, so I would be interested in seeing how the movie differed from the book; however, I picked Water for Elephants because I like the plot------is it long?-----------Ignore my pick. I've changed my mind and now pick Trapped. Sounds good. 


(***side note......anyone read A Stolen Life---by Jaycee Dugard? I'm over halfway done. Emotional read. )
Water For Elephants  
  
56 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 966 days ago

(Edited by Nick__)
Being a "DUDE", even though I DO have a romantic side, I have to NIX that last one......too much of a chick novel for myself, at least, for now.


I'm going to go with WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, even though the HITCH HIKING one sounds intriguing as well, only because it sounds like, too much of, a TRAIN WRECK not to want to read  
Water For Elephants  
#2 | 966 days ago

 How long is "Serial"? I seem to remember going to read that and it was super short but it might be a different book. Ordinarily, that's the kind of sick and twisted story I would vote for, but if it's like 84 pages or something I'll vote for one of the others :)

And while I don't think I'd ever WATCH either of the other two that have been made into movies, and I'm not normally into "romantic novels", I'd be open to reading one of them. Of those two, Water For Elephants seems to have a better plot/be a better story.
Water For Elephants  
#3 | 966 days ago

Jess wrote:
 How long is "Serial"? I seem to remember going to read that and it was super short but it might be a different book. Ordinarily, that's the kind of sick and twisted story I would vote for, but if it's like 84 pages or something I'll vote for one of the others :)

And while I don't think I'd ever WATCH either of the other two that have been made into movies, and I'm not normally into "romantic novels", I'd be open to reading one of them. Of those two, Water For Elephants seems to have a better plot/be a better story.
 Yeah Jess I meant to include the extended uncut version, but its still only like 168 pages. I can change that one for a different one. I didn't even look to see how long it was!
#4 | 966 days ago

(Edited by kteacher)
I'd probably be ok reading any of the three.  I saw One Day last week. I liked it, so I would be interested in seeing how the movie differed from the book; however, I picked Water for Elephants because I like the plot------is it long?-----------Ignore my pick. I've changed my mind and now pick Trapped. Sounds good. 


(***side note......anyone read A Stolen Life---by Jaycee Dugard? I'm over halfway done. Emotional read. )
Water For Elephants  
#5 | 966 days ago

So I changed the Serial one. Just didn't seem long enough. I think Water for Elephants is over 300 pages.
#6 | 966 days ago

(Edited by Sharp Square)


Trapped by Jack Kilborn  -  
Trapped  
#7 | 966 days ago

Jess wrote:
 How long is "Serial"? I seem to remember going to read that and it was super short but it might be a different book. Ordinarily, that's the kind of sick and twisted story I would vote for, but if it's like 84 pages or something I'll vote for one of the others :)

And while I don't think I'd ever WATCH either of the other two that have been made into movies, and I'm not normally into "romantic novels", I'd be open to reading one of them. Of those two, Water For Elephants seems to have a better plot/be a better story.



84 pages too short   man for me that would be a novel
Trapped  
#8 | 966 days ago
ChristiSunshine (+)

I may actually get to participate this time!
Water For Elephants  
#9 | 966 days ago

 Whoops I voted before you changed it LOL - well, either of them will be fine with me. Trapped does look pretty awesome though.
Water For Elephants  
#10 | 966 days ago

Happy
Trapped  
#11 | 966 days ago

A toss between Trapped or One Day,,,,,One dayreminds meof an old movie titled Same Time Next Year,,,,still havent finished reading " The Help"  yet
One Day  
#12 | 966 days ago

One day...
One Day  
#13 | 966 days ago

reading jaycee's memoir , currently as well:)....will never forget the day she was taken...my friends lived a couple houses from her and her family.   GMTA read water for elephants about 3 years ago. really good read. didnt see the movie.
#14 | 966 days ago

(Edited by Nick__)
Nick__ wrote:
Being a "DUDE", even though I DO have a romantic side, I have to NIX that last one......too much of a chick novel for myself, at least, for now.


I'm going to go with WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, even though the HITCH HIKING one sounds intriguing as well, only because it sounds like, too much of, a TRAIN WRECK not to want to read  
Does it ever feel like you are just talking to yourself. sometimes?!?!  (lol) 
Water For Elephants  
#15 | 966 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
 still no choice for those of us that are not participating? racist!
#16 | 966 days ago

Jack Kilborn, aka JA Konrath recently did an interview where he said he brings in $5000 a day from the fifty something books he's written.



Hi, my name is Jealous!
#17 | 966 days ago
LonghornKim (+)

Trapped sounds really good.
Trapped  
#18 | 966 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
 still no choice for those of us that are not participating? racist!
I am not racist...maybe just elitist!!
#19 | 966 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Cali_Kat wrote:
I am not racist...maybe just elitist!!
 At least give the poll a f**king close date. I don't want to see this "untaken" poll in the list of my untaken polls till I die! 
#20 | 966 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
 At least give the poll a f**king close date. I don't want to see this "untaken" poll in the list of my untaken polls till I die! 
Shut your piehole! When I edited it I forgot to re do that part!!
#21 | 965 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Cali_Kat wrote:
Shut your piehole! When I edited it I forgot to re do that part!!
 Don't yell at me, I am not the one that doesn't know how make/edit a poll!
#22 | 965 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
 Don't yell at me, I am not the one that doesn't know how make/edit a poll!
This is why I despise you! 
#23 | 965 days ago

Cali_Kat wrote:
This is why I despise you! 
 Lies, you love me!
#24 | 965 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
 Lies, you love me!
Ugh....
#25 | 965 days ago

I picked Water for Elephants because I already read it and I need a month to catch up.  It was a good book, though, so I will re-skim it for the discussion.

My second choice would be Trapped ... I have actually been on the fence with that one for weeks now, so it would give me an excuse to buy it.  
Water For Elephants  
#26 | 965 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
 At least give the poll a f**king close date. I don't want to see this "untaken" poll in the list of my untaken polls till I die! 

Shut up. Do you take every poll now? And who the hell pays that any attention besides you. Ugh. You whine a lot to be The Undertaker. I'm thinking of changing you to baby huey in my mind.


Kat, I think you did a great job making this poll! I will not be reading Water for Elephants ever,btw.

 

(I don't get post 14)

Trapped  
#27 | 965 days ago

Nick__ wrote:
Being a "DUDE", even though I DO have a romantic side, I have to NIX that last one......too much of a chick novel for myself, at least, for now.


I'm going to go with WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, even though the HITCH HIKING one sounds intriguing as well, only because it sounds like, too much of, a TRAIN WRECK not to want to read  
Water for Elephants is a chick novel too.
Trapped  
#28 | 965 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Water for Elephants is a chick novel too.
yeah, well. it sounds more bizarro  
Water For Elephants  
#29 | 965 days ago

Nick__ wrote:
yeah, well. it sounds more bizarro  
That's what I thought until I read it. I was expecting something more like Geek Love, but I got a romance novel instead.

Reese Witherspoon and one of the guys from the Twilight series star in the movie version, so that right there let's you know what kind story you're getting.
Trapped  
#30 | 965 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:

Shut up. Do you take every poll now? And who the hell pays that any attention besides you. Ugh. You whine a lot to be The Undertaker. I'm thinking of changing you to baby huey in my mind.


Kat, I think you did a great job making this poll! I will not be reading Water for Elephants ever,btw.

 

(I don't get post 14)

I don't get it either, but umm, why won't you read it?  It was good.  OK, the love story was a little cheesy (most are), but it was still a good read.
Water For Elephants  
#31 | 965 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
I don't get it either, but umm, why won't you read it?  It was good.  OK, the love story was a little cheesy (most are), but it was still a good read.
I typically will only watch chick flicks that star Mcconaughey, Josh Lucas, Josh Duhamel (actually didn't want to see Life As We Know It, teach, because of the girl but I enjoyed it), Sandra Bullock, Ashton, and Justin Long. (Oh, Definitely, Maybe....Worth it?) There are exceptions but still. If I am gonna read one, it has to have 100% more sex. The movie preview with dead boy made it impossible for to even try it, btw.
Trapped  
#32 | 965 days ago
LonghornKim (+)

I'd watch McConaughey watch paint dry.  He's hot.
Trapped  
#33 | 965 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
kobe_lova wrote:

Shut up. Do you take every poll now? And who the hell pays that any attention besides you. Ugh. You whine a lot to be The Undertaker. I'm thinking of changing you to baby huey in my mind.


Kat, I think you did a great job making this poll! I will not be reading Water for Elephants ever,btw.

 

(I don't get post 14)

1. If you want me to "Shut Up," then put in an option for those of us that don't participate in your racist book club. If there was always a "I don't read/participate in this racist book club." I would pick it and not say a word. Then we wouldn't have to have this conversation every month.

2. Yes I always have answered every poll, I may not comment, but I always answer. The only ones that I haven't taken are the ones that were created today and this one.

3. I pay attention and as far as I am concerned my opinion is the only one that matters.

As for the other unimportant crap you typed, see Answer number 3.
#34 | 965 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
1. If you want me to "Shut Up," then put in an option for those of us that don't participate in your racist book club. If there was always a "I don't read/participate in this racist book club." I would pick it and not say a word. Then we wouldn't have to have this conversation every month.

2. Yes I always have answered every poll, I may not comment, but I always answer. The only ones that I haven't taken are the ones that were created today and this one.

3. I pay attention and as far as I am concerned my opinion is the only one that matters.

As for the other unimportant crap you typed, see Answer number 3.
Shhh.
Trapped  
#35 | 965 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
I typically will only watch chick flicks that star Mcconaughey, Josh Lucas, Josh Duhamel (actually didn't want to see Life As We Know It, teach, because of the girl but I enjoyed it), Sandra Bullock, Ashton, and Justin Long. (Oh, Definitely, Maybe....Worth it?) There are exceptions but still. If I am gonna read one, it has to have 100% more sex. The movie preview with dead boy made it impossible for to even try it, btw.
 Is there such a thing as a chick flick that doesn't star McConadouchey?
#36 | 965 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
 Is there such a thing as a chick flick that doesn't star McConadouchey?
Shh.
Trapped  
#37 | 963 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
I typically will only watch chick flicks that star Mcconaughey, Josh Lucas, Josh Duhamel (actually didn't want to see Life As We Know It, teach, because of the girl but I enjoyed it), Sandra Bullock, Ashton, and Justin Long. (Oh, Definitely, Maybe....Worth it?) There are exceptions but still. If I am gonna read one, it has to have 100% more sex. The movie preview with dead boy made it impossible for to even try it, btw.
This is mostly unrelated (even though it makes sense in my head) ... "Buried" is streaming on 9/2.  I'll let you know what I think (read:  I will enjoy it if Ryan Reynolds gets hot in that coffin and strips down, otherwise, I'm not sure yet).
Water For Elephants  
#38 | 963 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
This is mostly unrelated (even though it makes sense in my head) ... "Buried" is streaming on 9/2.  I'll let you know what I think (read:  I will enjoy it if Ryan Reynolds gets hot in that coffin and strips down, otherwise, I'm not sure yet).
Finally. Prepare yourself. Don't quit in the first 15 minutes. Make Stoney watch it, too. Thanks. (this is completely unrelated)



Trapped appears to be the winner of this. Good.
Trapped  
#39 | 963 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
Finally. Prepare yourself. Don't quit in the first 15 minutes. Make Stoney watch it, too. Thanks. (this is completely unrelated)



Trapped appears to be the winner of this. Good.
He's a movie nerd AND a Ryan Reynolds nerd ... he's probably seen it.
Water For Elephants  
#40 | 963 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
He's a movie nerd AND a Ryan Reynolds nerd ... he's probably seen it.
Well, when I asked, I dont think he had. LOL @ Ryan Reynolds nerd. That's hot...and uh...fitting.
Trapped  
#41 | 963 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
Well, when I asked, I dont think he had. LOL @ Ryan Reynolds nerd. That's hot...and uh...fitting.
Exactly ... we're both gay for the same actor.  It's a sign.  
Water For Elephants  
#42 | 963 days ago

awww....gay pride flag
Trapped  
#43 | 963 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
awww....gay pride flag



But yeah, ok, so I'll try to make him watch it with me.  We'll have a little movie night.  That's even gayer ... I'm gonna stop now.
Water For Elephants  
#44 | 963 days ago

janet011685 wrote:



But yeah, ok, so I'll try to make him watch it with me.  We'll have a little movie night.  That's even gayer ... I'm gonna stop now.
whatsso gay about a couple having a movie night?  In Brooklyn on Tuesdays  it was $5 movie night. We knew it was a good movie if after 3 weeks the movie was still playing , we would go see it
One Day  
#45 | 963 days ago

alainpeartree wrote:
whatsso gay about a couple having a movie night?  In Brooklyn on Tuesdays  it was $5 movie night. We knew it was a good movie if after 3 weeks the movie was still playing , we would go see it
But our movie nights are from 2000 miles apart.  
That's a little gay.  In a fabulous way.
Water For Elephants  
#46 | 962 days ago

janet011685 wrote:
But our movie nights are from 2000 miles apart.  
That's a little gay.  In a fabulous way.
how in the world do you pull that off?
One Day  
#47 | 962 days ago

alainpeartree wrote:
how in the world do you pull that off?
See..There's this thing called....the internet.
Trapped  
#48 | 962 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
See..There's this thing called....the internet.
Oh I see,,,,,,,
One Day  
#49 | 962 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
See..There's this thing called....the internet.
Ooh...what's an "internet"? I want one!
Water For Elephants  
#50 | 962 days ago

Jess wrote:
Ooh...what's an "internet"? I want one!
I'm not sure, you'd need to talk to Nyce. Something about webs and Al Gore, idk...
Trapped  
#51 | 962 days ago

alainpeartree wrote:
how in the world do you pull that off?
Yeah, like Ash said.  Netflix is our friend.  Well, MY friend.  He's a movie nerd, so he owns practically everything, but yeah.  The magic of technology.  
Water For Elephants  
#52 | 958 days ago

So, Trapped it is..
Trapped  
#53 | 958 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
So, Trapped it is..
Yes its Trapped!
#54 | 958 days ago

Cali_Kat wrote:
Yes its Trapped!
K. I just downloaded it.
Trapped  
#55 | 958 days ago
John_Daly (+)

LonghornKim wrote:
Trapped sounds really good.
I wonder if you've read it yet, but I guess we will never know becuase ash made you leave.    
#56 | 935 days ago

I haven't gotten past the first chapter. 

I'm trying.
Water For Elephants  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
F/E 4/18
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/18/14
7 opinions | 19 comments | Last by sports_schmorts
Random Questions
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 9 questions asked 04/16/14
117 opinions | 20 comments | Last by AlwaysSunshine
F/E 4/17
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/17/14
5 opinions | 10 comments | Last by woody050681
I Like to Watch
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 6 questions asked 04/16/14
84 opinions | 11 comments | Last by ima246
Pack your Bags!
Asked by Cali_Kat | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/16/14
7 opinions | 15 comments | Last by marcus_nyce