Skip to Next Poll »
14
Oh, you must!
Hi friends! 
OK so I know we've kind of done this before, but it was vague and just an "ideas" thing... now it's coming down to the wire, and I'm leaving in just over a month! We had a scare and thought we wouldn't be able to take the trip we were expecting, but we were given more time again and the leave has been approved. I took the scare as a sign and decided not to plan specifics - so this time, other than 5 "sure" stop cities, we're flying by the seat of our pants...that includes schedule. So, while I won't know exactly which dates we'll be where, and exactly how long we'll be there, we do know a few places we're going for sure while we trek across the country. We're leaving Florida late June and report in Washington late July - that's all I know.

I'm going to list these places, and I'm asking those of you who either live close to the area or have vacationed there to let me know any "must-see" or "must-do" things/places or "must-have" food from the area. We will of course try to hit all of the obvious touristy spots, but I was looking for an insider's view from people who are either locals or have stumbled upon some great unknown stuff in their travels. Remember, we will have a 10yo and 2 dogs in tow (the dogs, I believe we can leave in the hotel in their kennels, so that's not necessarily a road block). 

(There are also possibilities of Minneapolis, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton parks, etc. Oh - and we're going to Canton but we already know what we're going to see there.)
| Closed on 06/20/12 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room, Travel | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
16 Fans 
 1. Washington DC - we will be here just a few days (0 points)
25%a. Oh, you must see this...
6%b. Oh, you must do this...
0%c. Oh, you must eat here...
13%d. I would suggest...
13%e. I've never been there, but I hear...
44%f. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas
 2. Philadelphia, PA - just a couple of days (0 points)
6%a. Oh, you must see this...
0%b. Oh, you must do this...
6%c. Oh, you must eat here...(specific cheese steak place? anything else?)
6%d. I would suggest..
19%e. I've never been there, but I hear...
63%f. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas
 3. Boston, MA - another 2 days or so (0 points)
0%a. Oh, you must see this..
0%b. Oh, you must do this...
0%c. Oh, you must eat here..
13%d. I would suggest...
13%e. I've never been there, but I hear...
75%f. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas
 4. Niagara Falls, NY (we're not crossing over into Ontario, unfortunately) (0 points)
6%a. Oh, you must see this...
25%b. Oh, you must do this...
0%c. Oh, you must eat here...
0%d. I would suggest...
13%e. I've never been there but I hear....
56%f. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions
 5. Chicago, IL - a full day (quite possibly 2 but I'm not sure yet) (0 points)
19%a. Oh, you must see this...
6%b. Oh, you must do this...
13%c. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)
19%d. I would suggest...
13%e. I've never been there but I hear....
31%f. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#18 | 710 days ago
John_Daly (+)

You got something against the west coast?




  
45 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 710 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
1. Been there so many things to do. When we were there we took an open air tour bus around the city. The package we bought got you 2 day tours and 1 night. On the day tours you can get off where you like, spend as much time as you like off and catch another bus later. On the night tour you stay on the tour bus and get to see the major attractions at night. As far as the Smithsonian goes, you should choose certain things you want to see and go there. I swear you could spend a month going through everything the Smithsonian displays and not see it all.

2. Never been there, but if I were to go I would definetly grab a philly cheesesteak from Pat's and Geno's just so I could decided which I prefer.

3. No interest or desire to ever go to Boston

4. I hear they have a huge waterfall there

5. Gino's East and Lou Malnati's are the two I have always heard of for Chicago Style Pizza. Pizzeria Uno is created with creating Chicago Style Pizza. Catch a game at Wrigley if possible.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there but I hear....  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#2 | 710 days ago

Only been to D.C. once (for a week), have never made it to the other locations.    While there is so much to see in the area, I totally enjoyed the International Spy Museum.  (a 10-year old would be entertained as well.)  Only thing is, it was very busy, had to purchase tickets for the next day.  So, unless you are spending time there, see if you can order tickets online.   www.spymuseum.org

Oh, and this is not part of the Smithsonian Museum, so it is not free.

Adults (ages 18-64)                                                   $19.95
Senior (ages 65+), Military, Law Enforcement      $14.95
Youths (ages 7-17)                                                     $13.95
Children age 6 & Under                                            Free
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#3 | 710 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
1. Been there so many things to do. When we were there we took an open air tour bus around the city. The package we bought got you 2 day tours and 1 night. On the day tours you can get off where you like, spend as much time as you like off and catch another bus later. On the night tour you stay on the tour bus and get to see the major attractions at night. As far as the Smithsonian goes, you should choose certain things you want to see and go there. I swear you could spend a month going through everything the Smithsonian displays and not see it all.

2. Never been there, but if I were to go I would definetly grab a philly cheesesteak from Pat's and Geno's just so I could decided which I prefer.

3. No interest or desire to ever go to Boston

4. I hear they have a huge waterfall there

5. Gino's East and Lou Malnati's are the two I have always heard of for Chicago Style Pizza. Pizzeria Uno is created with creating Chicago Style Pizza. Catch a game at Wrigley if possible.
I've heard that about the Smithsonian - that we could plan an entire vacation around that alone and still miss stuff. I also think I saw something while shopping around online about the type of bus tour you're talking about. I'm glad you went on it so you can give thumbs up or thumbs down - it seemed like a great deal for what we're doing. I like the flexibility of the day tours as well as the security of the night one. We may just have to do that for sure.

Thanks a ton for some names of restaurants/food places! 
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#4 | 710 days ago

Also on D.C. there are 3 things that if you want to see them(tour them) you need to be prepared to get up early and get tickets for. I believe that they are all free. They are the Holocaust Museum, White House and Washington Monument. We didn't get to do the White House or Monument because we never made it to where we had to pick up tickets in time. Only so many are issued per day and they go quickly for all 3.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there but I hear....  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#5 | 710 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Here is the website for the tours we took. They leave and arrive from Union Square, you can easily take the metro to and from any where you are to get there.

http://www.dctours.us/
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there but I hear....  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#6 | 710 days ago

(Edited by Oddfool)
richard_cranium wrote:
Also on D.C. there are 3 things that if you want to see them(tour them) you need to be prepared to get up early and get tickets for. I believe that they are all free. They are the Holocaust Museum, White House and Washington Monument. We didn't get to do the White House or Monument because we never made it to where we had to pick up tickets in time. Only so many are issued per day and they go quickly for all 3.
When I went, the White House was a "you got to get there early", but we're talking sort of registering for it online, or something,  like months in advance.  

(This I found out by being in line early, having to walk over to the Museum of Natural History to store a bag I was carrying into a locker, as they have a strict no-bags policy, no bags, no purses, etc.,  and then walking back to line, only to be told you had to set up in advance.)  Check on this before trying to go.   Also, policy prevents you from bringing camera as well.

From the whitehouse.gov site....

White House Tours

Public tours of the White House are available. Requests must be submitted through one's Member of Congress.  These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Fridays, and 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Saturdays (excluding federal holidays or unless otherwise noted). Tour hours will be extended when possible based on the official White House schedule. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Requests can be submitted up to six months in advance and no less than 21 days in advance. You are encouraged to submit your request as early as possible as a limited number of spaces are available. All White House tours are free of charge.  (Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.)

1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#7 | 710 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Oddfool wrote:
When I went, the White House was a "you got to get there early", but we're talking sort of registering for it online, or something,  like months in advance.  

(This I found out by being in line early, having to walk over to the Museum of Natural History to store a bag I was carrying into a locker, as they have a strict no-bags policy, no bags, no purses, etc.,  and then walking back to line, only to be told you had to set up in advance.)  Check on this before trying to go.   Also, policy prevents you from bringing camera as well.

From the whitehouse.gov site....

White House Tours

Public tours of the White House are available. Requests must be submitted through one's Member of Congress.  These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Fridays, and 7:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Saturdays (excluding federal holidays or unless otherwise noted). Tour hours will be extended when possible based on the official White House schedule. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Requests can be submitted up to six months in advance and no less than 21 days in advance. You are encouraged to submit your request as early as possible as a limited number of spaces are available. All White House tours are free of charge.  (Please note that White House tours may be subject to last minute cancellation.)

I believe that my mom said you could print tickets in advance on line. But by the time we thought about this, we were in DC with plenty of laptops(7 for 9 people) but we did not have a printer.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there but I hear....  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#8 | 710 days ago

Posting to save a spot. At this point though, I don't see anything wrong with the DC advise you've been given except regarding Metro. If it's a weekend, don't bother. Trust me. Otherwise, these guys might be better for attractions than I would be, since I don't go to places as a tourist (in that I don't have to bring bags or anything).
#9 | 710 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Eric_ wrote:
Posting to save a spot. At this point though, I don't see anything wrong with the DC advise you've been given except regarding Metro. If it's a weekend, don't bother. Trust me. Otherwise, these guys might be better for attractions than I would be, since I don't go to places as a tourist (in that I don't have to bring bags or anything).
Excluding getting from the Capitol Building back to Alexandria, VA after the fireworks on July 4th. We didn't have too many problems or find the metro overly crowded. But being that you live there, you know better when it is horrible to be on it, and best to be on it. We also avoided using it at "peak" times when we figured people would be using it to get to and from work.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there but I hear....  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#10 | 710 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
Posting to save a spot. At this point though, I don't see anything wrong with the DC advise you've been given except regarding Metro. If it's a weekend, don't bother. Trust me. Otherwise, these guys might be better for attractions than I would be, since I don't go to places as a tourist (in that I don't have to bring bags or anything).
I went a few years ago, when my son was in 6th grade (he's in 11th now.)  Was there first week in April, blossoms were blooming, and the mall was packed.  Don't know how it is at other times.  I used the Metro, which was why I had to go to museum for locker-I left rental car at hotel in Alexandria- and generally had no trouble.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#11 | 710 days ago

Every weekend, Metro these days does major track work. Stations are closed down the entire weekend on some lines and other lines there's single tracking. Both create major delays to the point that I don't even bother to go into the city on weekends. The two times of the year you both cited, 4th of July and the Cherry Blossom Festival, are essentially the only exceptions to the weekend track work.
#12 | 710 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Oh yeah chick, let me tell you about my city. cool


Chicago is second to none. It is a city that never sleeps, we work hard and play even harder.  The city with more professional sports teams in it than any other city in the U.S. 

 The best skyline (arguably) in the world. The most racially diverse, the city with enough heart to still be called in the Midwest. Food that only people dream of. 

  A town that is rich in culture, museums, and art. And the lions at the art museum have been known to wear football helmets.

And the best for last, I do not care if you are a Cubs fan, a baseball fan or even a sports fan. If you like the history of this country, we win.

1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. Oh, you must see this...  
#13 | 710 days ago

DC- Smithstonian natural history & air and space museums were my faves.

Philly - Pat's and Geno's, plus they're really close to each other. Also Paddy's Pub is a must.

Faneuil Halll - kinda touristy market/mall and Fenway is cool with a lot going on all around it.

Never been to Niagara, but I think Ripley's believe it or not is there. 

Chicago - Harry carey's restaurant was pretty awesome, so was the firehouse (name? chitown peeps) All i do is eat steak when I go, lol Maybe get Nick and JD to chime in.
1. I would suggest...  2. Oh, you must eat here...(specific cheese steak place? anything else?)  3. I would suggest...  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I would suggest...  
#14 | 710 days ago

(Edited by Nick__)
CHICAGO -

Chicago Tours

All of these, below, I have personally done, but the CHICAGO TOURS link above has more to do as well.

WRIGLEY FIELD Tour - they are affordable and $$ goes to charity > CUBS TOUR

Sears Tower Skydeck - $17.50 ADULTS / KIDS = $11  > SkyDeck

Architectural Boat Tour from Navy Pier - tour

Navy Pier > NAVY PIER

Buckingham Fountain > FOUNTAIN
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I would suggest...  
#15 | 710 days ago

marcus_nyce wrote:
DC- Smithstonian natural history & air and space museums were my faves.

Philly - Pat's and Geno's, plus they're really close to each other. Also Paddy's Pub is a must.

Faneuil Halll - kinda touristy market/mall and Fenway is cool with a lot going on all around it.

Never been to Niagara, but I think Ripley's believe it or not is there. 

Chicago - Harry carey's restaurant was pretty awesome, so was the firehouse (name? chitown peeps) All i do is eat steak when I go, lol Maybe get Nick and JD to chime in.
Firehouse???  Was it a restaurant, bar?

The only thing that comes to mind is The Water Tower - the only thing left standing after the Chicago fire. (head scratch)
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I would suggest...  
#16 | 710 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
marcus_nyce wrote:
DC- Smithstonian natural history & air and space museums were my faves.

Philly - Pat's and Geno's, plus they're really close to each other. Also Paddy's Pub is a must.

Faneuil Halll - kinda touristy market/mall and Fenway is cool with a lot going on all around it.

Never been to Niagara, but I think Ripley's believe it or not is there. 

Chicago - Harry carey's restaurant was pretty awesome, so was the firehouse (name? chitown peeps) All i do is eat steak when I go, lol Maybe get Nick and JD to chime in.
This one?

CHICAGO FIREHOUSE
1401 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-786-1401
You've got to love a restaurant with actual poles where you're not expected to slip a Jackson into someone's G-string. This handsome 103-year-old landmark building was a real firehouse, which is fitting, because someone in the kitchen really brings the heat. The prime beef gets marinated briefly in oil and herbs; then it's exquisitely grilled and garnished with puffy onion rings. Do yourself a favor and compare the dry- and wet-aged beef: Tell your companion to get the 16-ounce dry-aged boneless rib eye ($39), and snag the 22-ounce wet-aged porterhouse ($45) for yourself. Both are terrific. Strangely, the porterhouse, with all its density and beefy minerality, almost tastes dry-aged, too. We began with a lovely seafood salad ($14) chock-full of shrimp, calamari, and crabmeat to enjoy with a wonderful martini made with our homegrown North Shore Gin No. 6. Primed my pump nicely. 
Best Wine Bet 2006 Kendall-Jackson Edmeades Estate, Zinfandel, Mendocino County, California ($48
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there but I hear....  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#17 | 710 days ago

$48 for a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Zinfandel? indecision I'd hate to see what they charge for a good bottle of Pinot Noir. And the only times I've spent more than $20 on a steak, I've hated it...too much fat for me. Hmm.

Thanks for the tips, everybody! This will definitely serve me well on our travels, and I'll know to plan as far ahead as I can (or am willing to) for certain things if I choose to do them. And, I'm not too worried about the heat and humidity. I've lived in Key West for the past two years, where in the summer the average temperature ranges from about 95 - 100 degrees, and the average humidity is 100%. It's like being in an oven, breathing through a blanket here. 
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#18 | 710 days ago
John_Daly (+)

You got something against the west coast?




#19 | 710 days ago

For the main 5 places, I have nothing on - if you do happen to get to Minneapolis (and Saint Paul, because, I mean...if you're coming to Minneapolis, you'll cross into Saint Paul a few times as well).

1. Target Field - I haven't been to Safeco, but for friends and baseball people that have been to both, I've heard they are very similar in beauty. It's my favorite place to go to to in downtown Minneapolis.

2. Uptown - It's Southwest Minneapolis that's very neighborhood-y with tons of great food spots. On Lake Street-Bryant street intersection, there's one building that holds three of my favorite places.

From the left, is a local coffee shop that also has some of the best gelato, in the middle is a place called "Rusty Quarters" where it's an old fashioned arcade that's very small but has some great classic (whether really old, or what I consider 'classic' of early 90's machines), on the right is Bryant-Lake Bowl. It was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives (as are a coffee shop/bakery a few blocks away from it and a pizza shop called Lola that's only a few miles away), and it's a bar/restaurant with some great food, along with a bowling alley. I will have a day out of every few months where I spend a good 6-7 hours just in that building.

3. Nicollet Mall - It's basically 'Main Street' in downtown. Lots of shopping spots, cafes, the Mary Tyler Moore statue, there's Peavey Plaza that I always make sure to walk by, really cool fountains that kids (and adults) play in, and every warm night there's some sort of musical performance going on, always free and entertaining.

Restaurants there: I love Hell's Kitchen, I've been there a few times, at night and during the day, so with Kiernan, it might not be a good idea at night, especially if during the weekend/happy hour - during the day it's very friendly and have seen many kids there, but obviously up to your discretion. Also Brit's Pub is a great spot, with a huge lawn for lawn bowling and it's probably the only place where I really enjoyed a soccer match.

4. Science Museum of Minnesota - Right now, and through September, their special exhibition is 'Real Pirates'. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard all sorts of great things. Their Omnitheater showing is 'Under the Sea' - from their site: "In a signature Omnitheater "you are there" experience, you'll be transported to exotic and isolated undersea locations including South Australia, the Great Barrier Reef, and the Coral Triangle islands of Papua New Guinea and Indonesia. You'll come face to face with some of the most mysterious and stunning creatures of the sea, like the lionfish and the sea dragon."

Also, the Science Museum is right across the street from Xcel Energy Center, which you might be interested in.

5. Fort Snelling - I'm kind of ashamed I haven't been there since it was a school field trip in middle school. It's just an amazing place.
#20 | 710 days ago

Jess wrote:
$48 for a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Zinfandel? indecision I'd hate to see what they charge for a good bottle of Pinot Noir. And the only times I've spent more than $20 on a steak, I've hated it...too much fat for me. Hmm.

Thanks for the tips, everybody! This will definitely serve me well on our travels, and I'll know to plan as far ahead as I can (or am willing to) for certain things if I choose to do them. And, I'm not too worried about the heat and humidity. I've lived in Key West for the past two years, where in the summer the average temperature ranges from about 95 - 100 degrees, and the average humidity is 100%. It's like being in an oven, breathing through a blanket here. 
You just described DC in the summer, although late June might not be quite that bad (but probably will be).
#21 | 710 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
You just described DC in the summer, although late June might not be quite that bad (but probably will be).
Well then...I'm used to it. I'll live :)
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#22 | 710 days ago

John_Daly wrote:
You got something against the west coast?




rofl...ME?! Something against the best coast? Surely, you jest
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#23 | 710 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
This one?

CHICAGO FIREHOUSE
1401 S. Michigan Ave.; 312-786-1401
You've got to love a restaurant with actual poles where you're not expected to slip a Jackson into someone's G-string. This handsome 103-year-old landmark building was a real firehouse, which is fitting, because someone in the kitchen really brings the heat. The prime beef gets marinated briefly in oil and herbs; then it's exquisitely grilled and garnished with puffy onion rings. Do yourself a favor and compare the dry- and wet-aged beef: Tell your companion to get the 16-ounce dry-aged boneless rib eye ($39), and snag the 22-ounce wet-aged porterhouse ($45) for yourself. Both are terrific. Strangely, the porterhouse, with all its density and beefy minerality, almost tastes dry-aged, too. We began with a lovely seafood salad ($14) chock-full of shrimp, calamari, and crabmeat to enjoy with a wonderful martini made with our homegrown North Shore Gin No. 6. Primed my pump nicely. 
Best Wine Bet 2006 Kendall-Jackson Edmeades Estate, Zinfandel, Mendocino County, California ($48
Yeah that's it. The place with the poles. lol
1. I would suggest...  2. Oh, you must eat here...(specific cheese steak place? anything else?)  3. I would suggest...  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I would suggest...  
#24 | 710 days ago
18packabs (+)

DC- Seafood and go see Honest Abe
Philly- Cheesesteak and Liberty Bell
Bos- Fenway Park and the restaurants outside
Niagra- The Falls for sure
ChiTown- Wrigley, Deep Dish Pizza, and MOSI
#25 | 709 days ago

1. Do NOT do what my mother did and look for the stores on The Mall.
2. Ho-hum, it's our Nation's independence, go see the Liberty Bell that is now inside a building.
3. I've never been to Boston, just don't get lost in the roundabouts.
4. Maid of the Mist, you'll thank me later.
5. Eat breakfast or some meal at the Rock & Roll McDonald's, it's pretty cool to look at and the only Mickey D's I've ever seen with an escalator.  Oh and try to get tickets to a game at Wrigley, it really is the Friendly Confines.
1. Oh, you must do this...  2. I would suggest..  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#26 | 709 days ago

In Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry. You have got to see it to believe it!
#27 | 709 days ago

I dont have much to contribute, I lean to the "not traveled much" side of things. Grand Tetons are worth it, (imo). Safe passage to you & the family.
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#28 | 709 days ago

I'm at the Pentagon, so you can,  come see me!  Really, let me know!!

Liberty Bell and Cheessteaks...nothing else matters

Nobody likes Boston...change plans, and go to Newark

Try to see the Thousand Islands n the Falls on a boat tour...Place is a visual orgasm!!  You will love it there

Just sounds like fun, no matter wher you go or what you do there
1. I would suggest...  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#29 | 709 days ago

Jess wrote:
rofl...ME?! Something against the best coast? Surely, you jest
For the record, stay away from the West Side when you're in Chicago.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. Oh, you must do this...  
#30 | 709 days ago

Chicago - 

Art Institute
Millenium Park
Museum Campus (Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Soldier Field)

These are all in Grant Park and you can check most of them out in one day. Navy Pier is a few blocks away too. All kid friendly places.

For pizza I would go with either Giordano's or Edwardo's for the thick stuffed pizza.

And if you're into shopping, check out the Magnificent Mile. (Michigan Ave.)
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. Oh, you must do this...  
#31 | 709 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
For the record, stay away from the West Side when you're in Chicago.
lmao, yep. frown
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. Oh, you must see this...  
#32 | 709 days ago

kramer wrote:
1. Do NOT do what my mother did and look for the stores on The Mall.
2. Ho-hum, it's our Nation's independence, go see the Liberty Bell that is now inside a building.
3. I've never been to Boston, just don't get lost in the roundabouts.
4. Maid of the Mist, you'll thank me later.
5. Eat breakfast or some meal at the Rock & Roll McDonald's, it's pretty cool to look at and the only Mickey D's I've ever seen with an escalator.  Oh and try to get tickets to a game at Wrigley, it really is the Friendly Confines.
come on Kramer, you have never been to the "Most Magnificent McDonalds" in Warren Oh?  haha  Its a real place
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. Oh, you must see this...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must see this...  5. Oh, you must see this...  
#33 | 709 days ago

Chicago...Navy Pier
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. Oh, you must see this...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must see this...  5. Oh, you must see this...  
#34 | 709 days ago

never been to any of them but good luck ,but if you ever get to Charlotte the NASCAR museum is here and discovery place a great place to take the kids
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  
#35 | 709 days ago

It would be awesome if you could stop in Jacksonville... we could go to the Jacksonville Landing and have lunch on the St. John's River. So relaxing and beautiful!
1. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  2. I've never been there, and don't have any ideas  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. I've never been there, and I don't have any suggestions  5. I would suggest...  
#36 | 709 days ago

Can't forget Niagara Falls-

No visit to Niagara Falls is complete without a trip over the falls in a barrel.

1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. Oh, you must do this...  
#37 | 709 days ago

derms33 wrote:
come on Kramer, you have never been to the "Most Magnificent McDonalds" in Warren Oh?  haha  Its a real place
But does it have an escalator?
1. Oh, you must do this...  2. I would suggest..  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. Oh, you must eat here... (specific pizza place? anything else?)  
#38 | 709 days ago
unopescatore (+)

Philly - walk South Street, it'll take you into Penns Landing on the Delaware River, get some cheese steaks and then go to the Art Museum and do the Rocky thing up the steps.

 


Even Better...skip Philly and go to NYC. smiley
#39 | 709 days ago

Summerfest in Milwaukee  is late june thru early july
#40 | 703 days ago

You thought I forgot about this thread, but I didn't!

Others can cover the tourism aspect better, but I will say that since you have the kid, kids love the Air & Space Museum. It's easily the kid favorite of the Smithsonian. Most of them are all concentrated on the Mall, save for a few like the Portrait Gallery, but they'll be small hikes. I don't know of the pay museum because I'm cheap, but there is the Spy Museum, Museum of Crime and Punishment (both near the Verizon Center), and the Newseum, in case Kiernan wants to be a journalist for some reason.

Don't bother with the National Archives unless you get there right as it opens, and even then you might be standing outside in line for an hour. In June. indecision

I already told you don't use Metro on a weekend. On the weekday, you probably won't encounter *major* delays (emphasis on major). Also, on escalators, walk left, stand right, and don't stop right at the top of one. Keep that mind and the locals won't get pissed at you.

I know you love books Jess, so why don't you head to the Northwest corner of town and the best independent bookstore in the nation, Politics and Prose. You never know what author will be having an event there. Even better for you is next door there's a pizza joint that supposed to be good, Comet Ping Pong.

Also in Northwest DC is Palena. Go there, get a Cafe menu, and order the roast chicken or the burger. It's a bit more expensive than you're probably used to (welcome to DC), but it's worth it.

If you're staying in the suburbs, particularly the Virginia side, try Hard Times Cafe if you're looking for more, shall be say traditional fare. These guys specialize in chili and wings (they grill them, it's awesome). It is a bar, but at least in the location I go to (and I go there a lot), there's never an issue with cursing and drunken idiocy. It's a family friendly place.

Also in the good food, not that expensive (relatively) category: Nando's Peri Peri. Grilled chicken with spice is the primary product. (Note these last two have multiple locations for you and your wandering spontaneous self).

Finally, the Discovery Channel building is in a suburb of DC, a mere three blocks from where I live (I'm aware that's a big strike against it). I can't tell exactly what, if anything, they have for tourists, but there is a "Sensory Garden" outside, whatever that is.
#41 | 702 days ago

Pizza - Lou's, Pequod's, Giordano's, and Gino's East.

Hot Dogs - Hot Doug's, Portillo's, Jim's, and Zebra's. 

Steak - Gibson's, Keefer's, Chicago Chop House, Benny's, N9ne, and David Burke's.

Mexican - Frontera/Topolobampo, Nacional 27, Adobo, and just about any hole-in-the-wall you can find (my favorites). 

Italian - Viaggio, Spiaggia, Club Lago, Pelago, and Coco Pazzo.

Polish - Kasia's, Podhalanka, and Staropolska. 

Take the architectural boat tour.  It's a must for out of towners and is AWESOME at night.  If you want to take the kids to the top of the Hancock or Sears, that's cool.  I always take people to the Signature Room for drinks.  It's free to go up and although the drinks are a little pricey, it's a cool experience. 

- Museums, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Second City, Navy Pier (though I think it's overrated, Millennium Park, Grant Park, North Ave Beach, Lincoln Park Zoo (free), Chinatown, walk Michigan Ave (aka The Magnificent Mile), the Art Institute, the Water Tower, Frank Lloyd Wright bus tour, Soldier Field, Wrigley tour (or game), etc. 

I suggest staying two days.  You won't be disappointed.  And be sure to hit us up....would love to have and adult beverage or two. 
#42 | 702 days ago

i think you should just bypass everything but dc and philly. steal the declaration of independence and go on a whirlwind adventure, following clues passed down by the masons and nicholas cage to an unbelievable underground vault of priceless s**t. be careful though, cause the stairs are wibbly.
#43 | 702 days ago

jswol54 wrote:
Pizza - Lou's, Pequod's, Giordano's, and Gino's East.

Hot Dogs - Hot Doug's, Portillo's, Jim's, and Zebra's. 

Steak - Gibson's, Keefer's, Chicago Chop House, Benny's, N9ne, and David Burke's.

Mexican - Frontera/Topolobampo, Nacional 27, Adobo, and just about any hole-in-the-wall you can find (my favorites). 

Italian - Viaggio, Spiaggia, Club Lago, Pelago, and Coco Pazzo.

Polish - Kasia's, Podhalanka, and Staropolska. 

Take the architectural boat tour.  It's a must for out of towners and is AWESOME at night.  If you want to take the kids to the top of the Hancock or Sears, that's cool.  I always take people to the Signature Room for drinks.  It's free to go up and although the drinks are a little pricey, it's a cool experience. 

- Museums, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Second City, Navy Pier (though I think it's overrated, Millennium Park, Grant Park, North Ave Beach, Lincoln Park Zoo (free), Chinatown, walk Michigan Ave (aka The Magnificent Mile), the Art Institute, the Water Tower, Frank Lloyd Wright bus tour, Soldier Field, Wrigley tour (or game), etc. 

I suggest staying two days.  You won't be disappointed.  And be sure to hit us up....would love to have and adult beverage or two. 
Good call on the hole-in-the-wall places. I love those places.

I would have added Wiener's Circle to the list of hot dog places. I'm sure Jess and family would enjoy being yelled at.
1. Oh, you must see this...  2. I've never been there, but I hear...  3. I've never been there, and I don't have any ideas  4. Oh, you must do this...  5. Oh, you must do this...  
#44 | 702 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Good call on the hole-in-the-wall places. I love those places.

I would have added Wiener's Circle to the list of hot dog places. I'm sure Jess and family would enjoy being yelled at.
Can't believe I forgot Wiener's Circle.  Excellent call. 

Taqueria Santa Rita on Lawrence and El Asadero on Montrose are my spots. 
#45 | 702 days ago

You should just spend your entire time in the Great New England. It will be a way better vacation yes

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
F/E 4/17
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Today
4 opinions | 6 comments | Last by JenX63
Random Questions
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 9 questions asked Yesterday
108 opinions | 19 comments | Last by marcus_nyce
I Like to Watch
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 6 questions asked Yesterday
84 opinions | 11 comments | Last by ima246
Pack your Bags!
Asked by Cali_Kat | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Yesterday
7 opinions | 15 comments | Last by marcus_nyce
F/E 4/16
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Yesterday
5 opinions | 21 comments | Last by JenX63