Skip to Next Poll »
14
From Whence We Came (Edited 07/15/12 01:39AM by SusanVette)
I was thinking it would be interesting to hear about the places where we all grew up, and perhaps even still live there.  Tell us what State or County you grew up in and a few things about that State or Country. Such as what I found to copy paste about my State.

From Whence We Came <span style="font-size:12px;">(Edited 07/15/12 01:39AM by SusanVette)</span> Photo

Share! Share! Share!!!

| Closed on 09/15/12 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
19 Fans 
42%a. I grew up in_________.
32%b. I'll never grow up!
0%c. BORING!!!!
0%d. Phew! She don't live near me!!!
16%e. I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.
5%f. Did you ask Beans if this is ok???
0%g. My State / Country Sucks!
0%h. Go back to the Cowboys Bar girl!
0%i. I'm adopted, so Idk...
5%j. Nah...thanks anyway..

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 842 days ago



That about sums it up.
  
67 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 842 days ago



That about sums it up.
#2 | 842 days ago

janet011685 wrote:


That about sums it up.
Your right!!!!... I've been there.. But I do love the circles at the intersections.. That's really cool.. yes
I'll never grow up!  
#3 | 842 days ago

Some of these are a bit outdated and some aren't even true. I had school cancelled ONCE..during the blizzard of '78. Never because of heat.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

 

  • The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
  • You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
  • You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
  • Your school classes were canceled because of cold
  • Your school classes were canceled because of heat
  • You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
  • Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
  • You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
  • Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
  • You carry jumper cables in your car
  • You drink "pop."
  • You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
  • You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
  • But you call the interstates "expressways"
  • You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
  • You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
  • You refer to Chicago as "The City"
  • "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
  • No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
  • You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
  • You buy "The Trib"
  • You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
  • You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
  • You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
  • You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
  • You understand what "lake-effect" means
  • You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
  • You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
  • You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
  • You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
  • You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!
  •  

 

 

I grew up in_________.  
#4 | 842 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:

Some of these are a bit outdated and some aren't even true. I had school cancelled ONCE..during the blizzard of '78. Never because of heat.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

 

  • The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
  • You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
  • You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
  • Your school classes were canceled because of cold
  • Your school classes were canceled because of heat
  • You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
  • Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
  • You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
  • Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
  • You carry jumper cables in your car
  • You drink "pop."
  • You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
  • You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
  • But you call the interstates "expressways"
  • You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
  • You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
  • You refer to Chicago as "The City"
  • "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
  • No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
  • You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
  • You buy "The Trib"
  • You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
  • You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
  • You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
  • You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
  • You understand what "lake-effect" means
  • You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
  • You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
  • You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
  • You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
  • You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!
  •  

 

 

Schools didn't close in the Blizzard of 2010?

I'll never grow up!  
#5 | 842 days ago

DallasFan55 wrote:
Schools didn't close in the Blizzard of 2010?

Some did, but I haven't had to go to school in years. The CPS doesn't close. Here's the letter they send out concerning snow days:

I grew up in_________.  
#6 | 842 days ago
Nick__ (+)

Did you ask Beans if this is ok???  
#7 | 842 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:
Some did, but I haven't had to go to school in years. The CPS doesn't close. Here's the letter they send out concerning snow days:

LMFAO!!!!! Is this ^^^^^^^^ For real???
I'll never grow up!  
#8 | 842 days ago

The Awesome state of California: 
#9 | 842 days ago
John_Daly (+)

janet011685 wrote:


That about sums it up.
Are people actually going out of their way to live there?    wink
#10 | 841 days ago

i grew up in New York  Brooklyn (the BK baby) oxtails was the thing to eat fried chicken and bar b que ribs was a must, you dont a sense of community was a must, spanish food jamaican and southern food went around i was brought to respect women and my elders and K. I .R (keep it real ) was the only way to survive
I grew up in_________.  
#11 | 841 days ago

John_Daly wrote:
Are people actually going out of their way to live there?    wink
Most of NJ is NOT the cast of "Jersey Shore" and NOT refineries and smoke stacks!
I grew up in_________.  
#12 | 841 days ago

(Edited by icfeet)
I grew up (and still live) in NJ at the Jersey Shore, about 2 miles from the beach. The state has a LOT to offer-mountains, beaches, farmland, and of course, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Frankie Valli, Frank Sinatra.....here's a little primer on NJ...

You know you're from New Jersey when...

  • You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges".

  • You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

  • A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

  • You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.

  • You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m.

  • You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.

  • At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.

  • You know what a "jug handle" is.

  • You know that WaWa is a convenience store.

  • You know that the state isn't all farmland.

  • You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey -there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore".

  • You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.

  • You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving.

  • You know that this is the only "New __" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico,...York, .Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)

  • You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

  • You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

  • You don't think "What exit?" is very funny.

  • You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little different". Yes they are!

  • You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton -that's for out-of-staters.

  • The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or localbar.

  • You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.

  • You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers. (except for "the Parkway" and "the Turnpike")

  • Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony.

  • You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.

  • You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.

  • You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood.

  • You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.

  • You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.

  • You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamberger's and Orbach's.

  • You also remember Palisades Amusement Park.

  • You've had a Boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries.

  • You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.

  • You've NEVER, NEVER pumped your own gas.

    Most people who really rag on NJ have either only been in Newark (or the refinery area) OR have never been here....

I grew up in_________.  
#13 | 841 days ago

icfeet wrote:
I grew up (and still live) in NJ at the Jersey Shore, about 2 miles from the beach. The state has a LOT to offer-mountains, beaches, farmland, and of course, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Frankie Valli, Frank Sinatra.....here's a little primer on NJ...

You know you're from New Jersey when...

  • You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges".

  • You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

  • A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

  • You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.

  • You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m.

  • You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.

  • At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.

  • You know what a "jug handle" is.

  • You know that WaWa is a convenience store.

  • You know that the state isn't all farmland.

  • You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey -there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore".

  • You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.

  • You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving.

  • You know that this is the only "New __" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico,...York, .Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)

  • You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

  • You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

  • You don't think "What exit?" is very funny.

  • You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little different". Yes they are!

  • You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton -that's for out-of-staters.

  • The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or localbar.

  • You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.

  • You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers. (except for "the Parkway" and "the Turnpike")

  • Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony.

  • You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.

  • You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.

  • You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood.

  • You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.

  • You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.

  • You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamberger's and Orbach's.

  • You also remember Palisades Amusement Park.

  • You've had a Boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries.

  • You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.

  • You've NEVER, NEVER pumped your own gas.

    Most people who really rag on NJ have either only been in Newark (or the refinery area) OR have never been here....

watch the  Newark  & Camden jokes
I grew up in_________.  
#14 | 841 days ago

Harlem,NY- the most cultural iconic neighborhood in the world that can be described by one word " uptown"
I grew up in_________.  
#15 | 841 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Lobotomy Jones wrote:

Some of these are a bit outdated and some aren't even true. I had school cancelled ONCE..during the blizzard of '78. Never because of heat.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

 

  • The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
  • You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
  • You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
  • Your school classes were canceled because of cold
  • Your school classes were canceled because of heat
  • You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
  • Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
  • You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
  • Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
  • You carry jumper cables in your car
  • You drink "pop."
  • You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
  • You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
  • But you call the interstates "expressways"
  • You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
  • You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
  • You refer to Chicago as "The City"
  • "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
  • No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
  • You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
  • You buy "The Trib"
  • You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
  • You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
  • You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
  • You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
  • You understand what "lake-effect" means
  • You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
  • You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
  • You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
  • You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
  • You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!
  •  

 

 

588 2300.  smiley






That sir was perfect. yes
I grew up in_________.  
#16 | 841 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

I am from the north side of Chicago.  Where we play softball without a mitt, worship at the Fields of Wrigley and Soldier, and where

Bulls play basketball, bears play football, and raise their cubs to play baseball,

And have a kick ass hockey team. Chicago is called sports city u.s.a. having more professional sports teams than any other city.

 I now live in Aurora Mo....  we have a drive in. indecision
I grew up in_________.  
#17 | 841 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
I am from the north side of Chicago.  Where we play softball without a mitt, worship at the Fields of Wrigley and Soldier, and where

Bulls play basketball, bears play football, and raise their cubs to play baseball,

And have a kick ass hockey team. Chicago is called sports city u.s.a. having more professional sports teams than any other city.

 I now live in Aurora Mo....  we have a drive in. indecision
Ahhhh drive ins! Growing up they were the place to be on friday nights. You could wander through and meet friends, hang out at the swings, sing to your girl........oh wait thats Grease... .but seriously, I loved them. Sunday morning swaps in Los Angeles were the bomb. Thanks for making me all nostalgic!
#18 | 841 days ago

(Edited by jswol54)
I'll go with my school....







Not complete with my favorite dive bar.  $5 mixed pitcher night was the shizzle...

 
#19 | 841 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

(Edited by cubsgirl2)
JenX63 wrote:
Ahhhh drive ins! Growing up they were the place to be on friday nights. You could wander through and meet friends, hang out at the swings, sing to your girl........oh wait thats Grease... .but seriously, I loved them. Sunday morning swaps in Los Angeles were the bomb. Thanks for making me all nostalgic!
It is the one very cool thing about this town.  There are so very few of them left. People start lining up about 6. We go in, bbq, throw footballs around, the kids play in what Janie used to call the movie park smiley.  People bring air mattresses and put them in the bed of thier trucks. It actually is a great time.  I look forward to it every year.  Not so much now that the girls are older but, when they were younger it was a very cheap way for me to give them a night of fun. 2 movies, I could take the food (they don't mind even have grill set ups) and we could just hang together for 6 dollars per adult and 4 dollars per kid. And believe it or not they show first run movies and the prices are still that cheap.indecision

I grew up in_________.  
#20 | 841 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
It is the one very cool thing about this town.  There are so very few of them left. People start lining up about 6. We go in, bbq, throw footballs around, the kids play in what Janie used to call the movie park smiley.  People bring air mattresses and put them in the bed of thier trucks. It actually is a great time.  I look forward to it every year.  Not so much now that the girls are older but, when they were younger it was a very cheap way for me to give them a night of fun. 2 movies, I could take the food (they don't mind even have grill set ups) and we could just hang together for 6 dollars per adult and 4 dollars per kid. And believe it or not they show first run movies and the prices are still that cheap.indecision

I loved the drive in, before they all closed in Bako, they had $5 carload nights, first run movies and $1 bucket popcorn. Frigtastic, Tori is the only one that got to experience it. Now I'm kinda sad. Oh, and I've been through Aurora, gorgeous country that is!
#21 | 841 days ago
John_Daly (+)

Lobotomy Jones wrote:

Some of these are a bit outdated and some aren't even true. I had school cancelled ONCE..during the blizzard of '78. Never because of heat.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

 

  • The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
  • You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
  • You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
  • Your school classes were canceled because of cold
  • Your school classes were canceled because of heat
  • You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
  • Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
  • You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
  • Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
  • You carry jumper cables in your car
  • You drink "pop."
  • You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
  • You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
  • But you call the interstates "expressways"
  • You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
  • You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
  • You refer to Chicago as "The City"
  • "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
  • No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
  • You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
  • You buy "The Trib"
  • You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
  • You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
  • You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
  • You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
  • You understand what "lake-effect" means
  • You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
  • You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
  • You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
  • You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
  • You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!
  •  

 

 

I live in San Diego and I know the empire carpet number.


800-588-2300....empiiiiiire.
#22 | 841 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

John_Daly wrote:
I live in San Diego and I know the empire carpet number.


800-588-2300....empiiiiiire.
Yeah but, it used to be 312-588-2300. smiley
I grew up in_________.  
#23 | 841 days ago

You know you're from Oregon.....

-If you've worn shorts, sandals and a parka at the same time

-Moreover, if you’ve worn sandals with white socks

-If you measure distance in hours

-If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day

-If you consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain

-If you know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Clatskanie, Issaquah, Oregon, Umpqua, Yakima and Willamette

-If you know how to order coffee in 10 different ways

-If you have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain

-If your car has been hit by a deer (and not the other way around)

-If you can point in any direction and name the mountain

-If you know who grew, picked and roasted your free-trade coffee or who raised your local, organic free-range chicken

-If you complain about Californians, then turn around and sell your house to one for twice what you paid for it

-If you know you need to go camping with water-proof matches, an ax, rain gear and a matress that doubles as a floatation device

-If you can tell the difference between Steelhead, Chinook and Coho BEFORE you pull them out of the water

-If you believe umbrellas are for pussies

-If you can take a 2 hour drive and see this...

#24 | 841 days ago
unopescatore (+)

Trenton Makes the World Takes:


#25 | 841 days ago

LINDA  THE REASON   WHY  I HAD A HARD  TIME WITH THAT QUESTION  IS  CAUSE  I WAS RAISE  IN  5 STATE'S TOTAL. AS I SAY IN THE BAR THE THE OTHER  OTHER  NIGHT I WAS BORN IN TEXAS. RAISED IN ARKANSAS  AND  OKLA AND  MO..AND COLO.AND IN CALF. EACH  STATE FOR BOUT 10 YRS +YES THAT  MAKE  BE AND OLD  OLD  MAN/LOL.SO HOW WAS   I SUPPOSETO  ANSWER THAT?MY FAVORITE STATE IS  ARKANSAS,YES  Y'LL IS A  PRO NOUN NOTHING  MUCH  JUST THINKIN
I'll never grow up!  
#26 | 841 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
588 2300.  smiley






That sir was perfect. yes
Empiiiiiire...today!
I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.  
#27 | 841 days ago

Lobotomy Jones wrote:

Some of these are a bit outdated and some aren't even true. I had school cancelled ONCE..during the blizzard of '78. Never because of heat.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

 

  • The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
  • You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
  • You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
  • Your school classes were canceled because of cold
  • Your school classes were canceled because of heat
  • You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
  • Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
  • You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
  • Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
  • You carry jumper cables in your car
  • You drink "pop."
  • You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
  • You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
  • But you call the interstates "expressways"
  • You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
  • You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
  • You refer to Chicago as "The City"
  • "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
  • No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
  • You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
  • You buy "The Trib"
  • You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
  • You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
  • You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
  • You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
  • You understand what "lake-effect" means
  • You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
  • You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
  • You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
  • You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
  • You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!
  •  

 

 

Some of those apply to Pittsburgh as well.

-Empire Carpet
-You drink "pop"
-You measure distance in minutes
-You end sentences with an unnecessary preposition.
I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.  
#28 | 841 days ago

YOU KNOW YOU ARE FROM PITTSBURGH WHEN...... 

1. You walk carefully when it is "slippy" outside. 
2. You often go down to the "crick" 
3 You have to "red up" before company comes over 
4. You've ever gotten hurt by falling into a "jaggerbush" 
5. You know that Ahia is a river, a boulevard, and a state. 
6. You've ever "warched" or "wershed" the laundry. 
7. You know where Beer Falls is.(beaver falls) 
8. Mr Webster is wrong. You know full well that "ain't” is correct English. 
9. You know you can't drive too fast of back roads, cause-udda-deer. 
10. "Gumbands" .... need i say more? (rubber bands)
11. You've ever drank and "arn" (Iron City beer)
12. You've ever told someone to "quit jaggin around" 
13. You know that Clinton, Monaca, and Beaver, are actually names of towns. (pronounced Mo-NA-ka)
14. You've called someone a "jag-off". 
15. You hear "you guyses" or "yins" and don't look twice. 
16. You know the 3 rivers by name and can pronounce them correctly, but refer to them as ... da Mon, da Al, and da O. 
17. You hate Cleveland although you've never been there. 
18. You know where KerNEGgy is and you like his museum and "liberries". 
19. You drink "pop", eat "hoagies" "pierogies" and "gyros"(jy-rows). 
20. You drink Melk. 
21. You didn't have IHOPS or wafflehouses 
22. You know what a still mill is 
23 You cheer for the stillers 
24 You expect temps in the winter to be record breaking cold and temps in the summer to record breaking hot. 
25. You go dahntahn to da strip district and take your wife with you. Be sure to get a Permanee's sammich while yins are der hangin out 'n at. 
26. You know where Picksburgh is 
27 You can find Zillionopal on a map 
28 You go food shoppin at Jine Iggle 
29 You don't have a spring break in high school 
30 You beleive that "Ize" is the abreviation for " I was" 
31 You know some one from "Sliberty , Esliberty or Wesliberty. 
32. You've played witha dekkacards 
33 You know the picksburgh zoo is in "Hilinpark" and have been there for school field trips. 
34 You say "Mc Connells Mills" although you know that there is only one mill there 
35 You what is meant by "the POINT" 
36 You love Pensivanya 
37 Chipped ham was always in your fridge when you were growing up 
38 If you've ever been "ascared" because that "nebby" old lady across the street saw you do something bad and you know she will " tell on you" 
39. No matter how hard you try you can't stop talking Picksburghese.
I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.  
#29 | 841 days ago

I was born in Iowa and lived there throughout the 80's and early 90's. I don't remember much of it, other than the big house I lived in. That state is mostly known for being a farm state, not much else to tell about it.
#30 | 841 days ago

kramer wrote:
YOU KNOW YOU ARE FROM PITTSBURGH WHEN...... 

1. You walk carefully when it is "slippy" outside. 
2. You often go down to the "crick" 
3 You have to "red up" before company comes over 
4. You've ever gotten hurt by falling into a "jaggerbush" 
5. You know that Ahia is a river, a boulevard, and a state. 
6. You've ever "warched" or "wershed" the laundry. 
7. You know where Beer Falls is.(beaver falls) 
8. Mr Webster is wrong. You know full well that "ain't” is correct English. 
9. You know you can't drive too fast of back roads, cause-udda-deer. 
10. "Gumbands" .... need i say more? (rubber bands)
11. You've ever drank and "arn" (Iron City beer)
12. You've ever told someone to "quit jaggin around" 
13. You know that Clinton, Monaca, and Beaver, are actually names of towns. (pronounced Mo-NA-ka)
14. You've called someone a "jag-off". 
15. You hear "you guyses" or "yins" and don't look twice. 
16. You know the 3 rivers by name and can pronounce them correctly, but refer to them as ... da Mon, da Al, and da O. 
17. You hate Cleveland although you've never been there. 
18. You know where KerNEGgy is and you like his museum and "liberries". 
19. You drink "pop", eat "hoagies" "pierogies" and "gyros"(jy-rows). 
20. You drink Melk. 
21. You didn't have IHOPS or wafflehouses 
22. You know what a still mill is 
23 You cheer for the stillers 
24 You expect temps in the winter to be record breaking cold and temps in the summer to record breaking hot. 
25. You go dahntahn to da strip district and take your wife with you. Be sure to get a Permanee's sammich while yins are der hangin out 'n at. 
26. You know where Picksburgh is 
27 You can find Zillionopal on a map 
28 You go food shoppin at Jine Iggle 
29 You don't have a spring break in high school 
30 You beleive that "Ize" is the abreviation for " I was" 
31 You know some one from "Sliberty , Esliberty or Wesliberty. 
32. You've played witha dekkacards 
33 You know the picksburgh zoo is in "Hilinpark" and have been there for school field trips. 
34 You say "Mc Connells Mills" although you know that there is only one mill there 
35 You what is meant by "the POINT" 
36 You love Pensivanya 
37 Chipped ham was always in your fridge when you were growing up 
38 If you've ever been "ascared" because that "nebby" old lady across the street saw you do something bad and you know she will " tell on you" 
39. No matter how hard you try you can't stop talking Picksburghese.
Ah...memories of college and all my friends from "The Burgh"
I grew up in_________.  
#31 | 841 days ago

(Edited by icfeet)
kramer wrote:
YOU KNOW YOU ARE FROM PITTSBURGH WHEN...... 

1. You walk carefully when it is "slippy" outside. 
2. You often go down to the "crick" 
3 You have to "red up" before company comes over 
4. You've ever gotten hurt by falling into a "jaggerbush" 
5. You know that Ahia is a river, a boulevard, and a state. 
6. You've ever "warched" or "wershed" the laundry. 
7. You know where Beer Falls is.(beaver falls) 
8. Mr Webster is wrong. You know full well that "ain't” is correct English. 
9. You know you can't drive too fast of back roads, cause-udda-deer. 
10. "Gumbands" .... need i say more? (rubber bands)
11. You've ever drank and "arn" (Iron City beer)
12. You've ever told someone to "quit jaggin around" 
13. You know that Clinton, Monaca, and Beaver, are actually names of towns. (pronounced Mo-NA-ka)
14. You've called someone a "jag-off". 
15. You hear "you guyses" or "yins" and don't look twice. 
16. You know the 3 rivers by name and can pronounce them correctly, but refer to them as ... da Mon, da Al, and da O. 
17. You hate Cleveland although you've never been there. 
18. You know where KerNEGgy is and you like his museum and "liberries". 
19. You drink "pop", eat "hoagies" "pierogies" and "gyros"(jy-rows). 
20. You drink Melk. 
21. You didn't have IHOPS or wafflehouses 
22. You know what a still mill is 
23 You cheer for the stillers 
24 You expect temps in the winter to be record breaking cold and temps in the summer to record breaking hot. 
25. You go dahntahn to da strip district and take your wife with you. Be sure to get a Permanee's sammich while yins are der hangin out 'n at. 
26. You know where Picksburgh is 
27 You can find Zillionopal on a map 
28 You go food shoppin at Jine Iggle 
29 You don't have a spring break in high school 
30 You beleive that "Ize" is the abreviation for " I was" 
31 You know some one from "Sliberty , Esliberty or Wesliberty. 
32. You've played witha dekkacards 
33 You know the picksburgh zoo is in "Hilinpark" and have been there for school field trips. 
34 You say "Mc Connells Mills" although you know that there is only one mill there 
35 You what is meant by "the POINT" 
36 You love Pensivanya 
37 Chipped ham was always in your fridge when you were growing up 
38 If you've ever been "ascared" because that "nebby" old lady across the street saw you do something bad and you know she will " tell on you" 
39. No matter how hard you try you can't stop talking Picksburghese.
Damn double post...I DO represent the Department of Redundancy Department.....
I grew up in_________.  
#32 | 841 days ago

Thanks, folks, for putting that damn Empire song in my head. 
#33 | 841 days ago

beerstudk wrote:

You know you're from Oregon.....

-If you've worn shorts, sandals and a parka at the same time

-Moreover, if you’ve worn sandals with white socks

-If you measure distance in hours

-If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day

-If you consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain

-If you know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Clatskanie, Issaquah, Oregon, Umpqua, Yakima and Willamette

-If you know how to order coffee in 10 different ways

-If you have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain

-If your car has been hit by a deer (and not the other way around)

-If you can point in any direction and name the mountain

-If you know who grew, picked and roasted your free-trade coffee or who raised your local, organic free-range chicken

-If you complain about Californians, then turn around and sell your house to one for twice what you paid for it

-If you know you need to go camping with water-proof matches, an ax, rain gear and a matress that doubles as a floatation device

-If you can tell the difference between Steelhead, Chinook and Coho BEFORE you pull them out of the water

-If you believe umbrellas are for pussies

-If you can take a 2 hour drive and see this...

Absolutely Beautiful!!!!
I'll never grow up!  
#34 | 841 days ago

hotdog5054 wrote:
LINDA  THE REASON   WHY  I HAD A HARD  TIME WITH THAT QUESTION  IS  CAUSE  I WAS RAISE  IN  5 STATE'S TOTAL. AS I SAY IN THE BAR THE THE OTHER  OTHER  NIGHT I WAS BORN IN TEXAS. RAISED IN ARKANSAS  AND  OKLA AND  MO..AND COLO.AND IN CALF. EACH  STATE FOR BOUT 10 YRS +YES THAT  MAKE  BE AND OLD  OLD  MAN/LOL.SO HOW WAS   I SUPPOSETO  ANSWER THAT?MY FAVORITE STATE IS  ARKANSAS,YES  Y'LL IS A  PRO NOUN NOTHING  MUCH  JUST THINKIN
You answered it just fine Charles..yes You spent the bulk of your upbringing in Texas and Arkansas, which probably explains why your a Dallas Cowboy's fan. Thank you for sharing. smiley
I'll never grow up!  
#35 | 841 days ago

jswol54 wrote:
Thanks, folks, for putting that damn Empire song in my head. 
Our Empire # starts with 877... or..is the Luna??...Damn I'm confused...
I'll never grow up!  
#36 | 841 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

jswol54 wrote:
Thanks, folks, for putting that damn Empire song in my head. 
Now picture the mustache. cheeky


I grew up in_________.  
#37 | 841 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Now picture the mustache. cheeky


oh is that guy nationwide? I thought he was just some local d**chebag
#38 | 841 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Now picture the mustache. cheeky


I feel slighted...This is all we get here....

I'll never grow up!  
#39 | 841 days ago

You know you're from California when:

1. You can sleep through an earthquake.
2. Gas is $1.00 more a gallon than any other state.
3.  It's barely sprinkling outside and you leave an hour early to avoid any weather related accidents.
4. In the winter you can surf in the morning and drive to Big Bear to ski in the afternoon.
5. You know what "In-N-Out" is and feel bad for people in the states that don't have them.
6. You know that Venice is a beach.
7. You know if you drive 2 miles in any direction you will find a Starbucks.
8. The Terminator is elected governor....twice.
9. You begin every semi important sentence with "Dude".
10. drive on the Freeway.
11. You skipped school on 4/20
12. You go to a water store to Buy water.(That's for you John D)
13. Getting from point A to point B is going to take at least 20 minutes no matter the distance.
14. You take the 15 to get to Vegas!
15. You know what a "sigalert", "PCH" and "The Five" mean.
#40 | 841 days ago

Kenne wrote:
oh is that guy nationwide? I thought he was just some local d**chebag
They started out local, I think they went national in the 90's. 
I grew up in_________.  
#41 | 841 days ago

I'll never grow up!  
#42 | 841 days ago

WISAC1 wrote:
Woo Hoo!!! Go Green Bay!!! yes
I'll never grow up!  
#43 | 841 days ago

You say ya'll... many times a day.
Bedlam is a BIG deal.
When you drive through a neighborhood anyone out walking will smile and wave at you.
You've been off roading - many times.
You or someone you know was born, raised and still lives in the same town.
You know that Miami, Oklahoma and Miami, Florida are pronounced two different ways.
You plan events around football games.
You are a Cowboy or Sooner fan.
A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
You can properly pronounce Eufaula, Gotebo, Okemah and Chickasha.
You know exactly what calf fries are, and eat them anyway.
It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
You have owned at least one belt buckle bigger than your fist.
A bad traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.
It doesn't seem odd to see the term "chicken fried chicken" on a menu.
It doesn't seem peculiar if your sweetie says "I'm going in to town for something" even though you live in town.
Your quarterback is hurt and it is the top story on the six o'clock news.
You don't buy all your vegetables at the grocery store.
You get up at 5:30 A.M. and go to the coffee shop, where the waitress never asks what you would like. She already knows.
You are on a first name basis with the county sheriff.
You know that everything goes better with Ranch.
You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
"You wanna Coke?" "Yeah." "What kind?" "Dr. Pepper."
You know what "Orange Power" and "Crimson & Cream" means.
.
#44 | 841 days ago

I love Chicken Fried Chicken and Chicken Fried Steak... Mmmm yes
I'll never grow up!  
#45 | 841 days ago

(Edited by Jess)
beerstudk wrote:

You know you're from Oregon.....

-If you've worn shorts, sandals and a parka at the same time

-Moreover, if you’ve worn sandals with white socks

-If you measure distance in hours

-If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day

-If you consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain

-If you know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Clatskanie, Issaquah, Oregon, Umpqua, Yakima and Willamette

-If you know how to order coffee in 10 different ways

-If you have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain

-If your car has been hit by a deer (and not the other way around)

-If you can point in any direction and name the mountain

-If you know who grew, picked and roasted your free-trade coffee or who raised your local, organic free-range chicken

-If you complain about Californians, then turn around and sell your house to one for twice what you paid for it

-If you know you need to go camping with water-proof matches, an ax, rain gear and a matress that doubles as a floatation device

-If you can tell the difference between Steelhead, Chinook and Coho BEFORE you pull them out of the water

-If you believe umbrellas are for pussies

-If you can take a 2 hour drive and see this...

A lot of these fit for Idaho too...with some additions (and great pic of Multnomah Falls, btw...favorite pit stop on the drive back home to visit family when we lived over that way.) Oh - and don't forget with the pronunciations: Yaquina, Heceta, Coquille, The Dalles, Siletz, Siuslaw, Tualatin, Yachats...I'm probably missing some.

I grew up in North Idaho, and this is what I remember most about it...we would get about 2 full months of summer and maybe a week or so of each spring and fall. From September until sometimes late June, we knew to expect snow - perhaps that's why there are two good ski hills each within a few miles of where I grew up, with even more within just a couple of hours north. Ugh. Also, whenever I told someone I was from Idaho, they would always assume I grew potatoes or at the very least knew someone who did. That's south...north Idaho is mountainous, green, and has crisp clear water. Everything you see in movies or hear from people about Washington state and western Montana fits the Idaho Panhandle, obviously. South Idaho is flat, brown or various shades of yellow, and fugly.

I'm not really a fan of where I grew up - it's beautiful, sure, but it's also cold, too far inland, and the people there are generally afraid of change, diversity, and culture. I can't handle that. I never did really fit in there; I never felt at home or that I had roots there, even when I was little. And other than my family and friends there isn't much I miss back home, especially when I'm living in Washington or Oregon...I get all the good stuff (mountains, green, clear water) and not so much of the bad (snow, snow, ice, more snow). 
I'll never grow up!  
#46 | 841 days ago

(Edited by AlwaysSunshine)





You are probably aware that Louisville is home to the fastest two minutes in sports history and to The Greatest.  Lesser known is Darrell Griffith, who was aka Dr. Dunkenstein.  What makes him fan-freaking-tastic was that he could NOT palm the basketball, yet is still renowned as one of the greatest dunkers of all time.  The last picture is of a delicious monstrosity called the Kentucky Hot Brown, which is a local dish made famous at the Brown Hotel.  It is an open-faced turkey sandwich with tomatoes, covered with a roux and bacon.  It is AMAZING.
#47 | 840 days ago

icfeet wrote:
Ah...memories of college and all my friends from "The Burgh"
I knew you'd know some of these.
I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.  
#48 | 840 days ago

Cali_Kat wrote:
You know you're from California when:

1. You can sleep through an earthquake.
2. Gas is $1.00 more a gallon than any other state.
3.  It's barely sprinkling outside and you leave an hour early to avoid any weather related accidents.
4. In the winter you can surf in the morning and drive to Big Bear to ski in the afternoon.
5. You know what "In-N-Out" is and feel bad for people in the states that don't have them.
6. You know that Venice is a beach.
7. You know if you drive 2 miles in any direction you will find a Starbucks.
8. The Terminator is elected governor....twice.
9. You begin every semi important sentence with "Dude".
10. drive on the Freeway.
11. You skipped school on 4/20
12. You go to a water store to Buy water.(That's for you John D)
13. Getting from point A to point B is going to take at least 20 minutes no matter the distance.
14. You take the 15 to get to Vegas!
15. You know what a "sigalert", "PCH" and "The Five" mean.
Hey, I know what "In-N-Out" is, although I do have your Californian self to thank for that so I guess you're right.
I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.  
#49 | 840 days ago

MOST OF MY FAMILY LIVED IN HARLEM 145TH IVE BEEN TO CHICAGO, FLORIDA ALABAMA, TEXAS IN FACT IM GOING TO DALLAS ON THE 25 JUNE, MARYLAND THE LAND OF THE SEASONED SEAFOOD
I grew up in_________.  
#50 | 840 days ago

(Edited by jswol54)
Cali_Kat wrote:
You know you're from California when:

1. You can sleep through an earthquake.
2. Gas is $1.00 more a gallon than any other state.
3.  It's barely sprinkling outside and you leave an hour early to avoid any weather related accidents.
4. In the winter you can surf in the morning and drive to Big Bear to ski in the afternoon.
5. You know what "In-N-Out" is and feel bad for people in the states that don't have them.
6. You know that Venice is a beach.
7. You know if you drive 2 miles in any direction you will find a Starbucks.
8. The Terminator is elected governor....twice.
9. You begin every semi important sentence with "Dude".
10. drive on the Freeway.
11. You skipped school on 4/20
12. You go to a water store to Buy water.(That's for you John D)
13. Getting from point A to point B is going to take at least 20 minutes no matter the distance.
14. You take the 15 to get to Vegas!
15. You know what a "sigalert", "PCH" and "The Five" mean.
2 - We have some of the highest gas prices in the land, but after looking at Cali's this morning, you do in fact have us beat. $5.19 (West Covina) - $4.49 (River North).

5 - Love me some In-n-Out.  Animal or whatever style is the only way to fly.  That said, it's all about Wienerschnitzel for me.  Yes, my Cali buddies think I'm crazy. 

7 - You can't go two blocks around these parts w/o hitting a Starbucks, depending on the neighborhood of course. 

11 - You have that many people that celebrate Hitler's birthday? 

12 - It's all about the H2O, yo! (though I think you're talking to the other Johnny D)

One observation I'd like to make about NoCal residents.  They love to get hyphy.  I love that word and use it all the time. 
#51 | 840 days ago

jswol54 wrote:
2 - We have some of the highest gas prices in the land, but after looking at Cali's this morning, you do in fact have us beat. $5.19 (West Covina) - $4.49 (River North).

5 - Love me some In-n-Out.  Animal or whatever style is the only way to fly.  That said, it's all about Wienerschnitzel for me.  Yes, my Cali buddies think I'm crazy. 

7 - You can't go two blocks around these parts w/o hitting a Starbucks, depending on the neighborhood of course. 

11 - You have that many people that celebrate Hitler's birthday? 

12 - It's all about the H2O, yo! (though I think you're talking to the other Johnny D)

One observation I'd like to make about NoCal residents.  They love to get hyphy.  I love that word and use it all the time. 
5. You are crazy. Although I do love me some Wienerschnitzel!!

12. Yeah that was for John Daly, Rogs, and whatever other aliases he has used. Some people on here made fun of the fact that we have stores dedicated to just selling water.
#52 | 810 days ago

Franklin NC, where the Smokies, Appalachians, and the Blue Ridge mountains all come together.   Nestled on the Little Tennessee River.  We had a 40 acre farm with chickens, cows, pigs and 3 huge gardens.  If we didnt grow it or kill it, we didnt eat it.  1 "party line" telephone, 2 channels on the TV, 3 lawnmowers so we could keep one workin, 4 acres of dam grass to push mow, 5 miles to the nearest neighbor, 6 huge white oak trees in the front yard that dumped a ton of leaves to be raked, 7, bout the age I took over doing every freakin chore on the dam hill!
I grew up in_________.  
#53 | 810 days ago

Hilblee wrote:
Franklin NC, where the Smokies, Appalachians, and the Blue Ridge mountains all come together.   Nestled on the Little Tennessee River.  We had a 40 acre farm with chickens, cows, pigs and 3 huge gardens.  If we didnt grow it or kill it, we didnt eat it.  1 "party line" telephone, 2 channels on the TV, 3 lawnmowers so we could keep one workin, 4 acres of dam grass to push mow, 5 miles to the nearest neighbor, 6 huge white oak trees in the front yard that dumped a ton of leaves to be raked, 7, bout the age I took over doing every freakin chore on the dam hill!
I bet you appreciate every blessed moment of it too.
I'll never grow up!  
#54 | 803 days ago

If you were raised in Texas,
'Twiced' is a word.

People actually grow and eat okra

'Fixinto' is one word.

Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you
start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!

'Backwards and forwards' means I know
everything about you!

Djeet is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'

You don't have to wear a watch because it
doesn't ma tter what time it is. You work until you're done
or it's too dark to see.

You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

You measure distance in hours. Like its 6 hours from Houston to Dallas .

You'll probably have to switch from 'heat' to
'A/C' in the same day.

'Fix' is a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to
the store.'

You carry jumper cables in your car . . .
for your OWN car.

There are only four spices: salt, pepper,
Tabasco and ketchup.

The local papers cover national and
international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

100 degrees Fahrenheit is 'a little warm.'

We have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer,
still Summer and Christmas.

A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or
pop. .. . . it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor. Example:
'What kind a coke you want?'

Fried catfish is the other white meat.

We don't need no stinking driver's ed . .. .
if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

We think being in Texas is a gift from God! (Doesn't everybody feel that way about 'home'?)

I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid.  
#55 | 803 days ago

unopescatore wrote:
Trenton Makes the World Takes:


What Trenton Makes...the world takes...



What the world refuses, Trenton uses....
I grew up in_________.  
#56 | 774 days ago

You know you're from Mississippi if:
 
1. You can properly pronounce Neshoba, Chata, DeKalb, Kosciusko, Decatur, Yazoo, Pascagoula, Picayune, and Scooba.
 
2. You think people who complain about the wind in their states are sissies.
 
3. A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard with a camcorder.
 
4. Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waiting to pass a tractor on the highway.
 
5. You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
 
6. You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the
availability of shade.
 
7. Stores don't have bags, they have sacks.
 
8. You've seen people wear bib overalls at funerals.
 
9. You think everyone from a bigger city has an accent.
 
10. You measure distance in minutes.
 
11. It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
 
12. Little Smokies are something you serve only for special occasions.
 
13. You go to the lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.
 
14. You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.
 
15. You know cowpies are not made of beef.
 
16. Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.
 
17. You have known someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.
 
18. A bad traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be
the most polite and let the other go first.
 
19. You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.
 
20. Your "place at the lake" has wheels under it.
 
21. A Mercedes Benz isn't a status symbol, but a Chevy Silverado Extended Bed Crew Cab is.
 
22. You know everything goes better with 'Ranch'.
 
23. You learned multiplication and shotgun gauge sizes at about the same age.
 
24. You actually get these jokes and are "fixin' " to send them to your friends.
 
Finally, you are 100% Mississippian if you have ever heard or had this conversation:
 
"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
 
"What kind?"
 
 
I grew up in_________.  
#57 | 774 days ago

Duh..I forgot to answer the poll before replying...rofl
I grew up in_________.  
#58 | 774 days ago

JenX63 wrote:
The Awesome state of California: 
More like "THE GOD AWFUL STATE OF MEXICALIFORNIA" as my sister likes to say, lol. How did replacing Grey Davis with The Terminator work out for you there, by the way?
#59 | 774 days ago

XERXUS wrote:
i grew up in New York  Brooklyn (the BK baby) oxtails was the thing to eat fried chicken and bar b que ribs was a must, you dont a sense of community was a must, spanish food jamaican and southern food went around i was brought to respect women and my elders and K. I .R (keep it real ) was the only way to survive
south Bronx here.
#60 | 774 days ago

icfeet wrote:
Most of NJ is NOT the cast of "Jersey Shore" and NOT refineries and smoke stacks!
but NJ is "THE OFFICIAL TOXIC WASTE DUMP SITE OF NEW YORK CITY"

as well as the burial ground of lots of mobsters from the 5 families.
#61 | 774 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
I am from the north side of Chicago.  Where we play softball without a mitt, worship at the Fields of Wrigley and Soldier, and where

Bulls play basketball, bears play football, and raise their cubs to play baseball,

And have a kick ass hockey team. Chicago is called sports city u.s.a. having more professional sports teams than any other city.

 I now live in Aurora Mo....  we have a drive in. indecision
Uh, last I checked, NYC has more sports teams than Chicago.

MLB: 2
NFL: 2
NBA: 2 (now that Nets are in Brooklyn)
NHL: 2 (3 if you count the Devils)
NASL: 1
WNBA: 1
#62 | 774 days ago

alainpeartree wrote:
Harlem,NY- the most cultural iconic neighborhood in the world that can be described by one word " uptown"
only became uptown after Clinton put his post White House Office there.
#63 | 774 days ago

anthonyrichardlouisnaught wrote:
but NJ is "THE OFFICIAL TOXIC WASTE DUMP SITE OF NEW YORK CITY"

as well as the burial ground of lots of mobsters from the 5 families.
and having spent my junior high and high school years in a backwater turd of a town on Route 23 North and Route 46 West called Pequannock (only reason it matters at all is because Derek Jeter was born there, but because it was/is a racist place to live, when he was 3, his parents moved to Kalamazoo, Michigan), so therefore, I can talk crap about NJ.
#64 | 774 days ago

Grew up in beautiful Santa Cruz California.  Physically brilliant.  Socially warped.


Because I like maps.

I like aerials too.  This is a little dated, however.


The famous Boardwalk.


Where I learned to surf.


The town clock at the north end of the Pacific Garden Mall.  Survived the '89 Loma Prieta Earthquake.


As did my old high school main building.


BTW...  You can tell when someone is from SoCal because they say THE 5.  Or THE 210.  No one outside of the southland does that.
#65 | 773 days ago

jswol54 wrote:
2 - We have some of the highest gas prices in the land, but after looking at Cali's this morning, you do in fact have us beat. $5.19 (West Covina) - $4.49 (River North).

5 - Love me some In-n-Out.  Animal or whatever style is the only way to fly.  That said, it's all about Wienerschnitzel for me.  Yes, my Cali buddies think I'm crazy. 

7 - You can't go two blocks around these parts w/o hitting a Starbucks, depending on the neighborhood of course. 

11 - You have that many people that celebrate Hitler's birthday? 

12 - It's all about the H2O, yo! (though I think you're talking to the other Johnny D)

One observation I'd like to make about NoCal residents.  They love to get hyphy.  I love that word and use it all the time. 
I would try to post a video from one of my favorite movies to reply to #12, but don't want Kobe to get his panties in a bunch when I fail.

"Water Sucks. Gatorade is better"
#66 | 773 days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu9VA3pTEzs
#67 | 773 days ago

damn it, didn't work. again. F*ck!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
Filter Error 9/29
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/29/14
8 opinions | 27 comments | Last by ohwell_
Filter Error 9/26
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/26/14
5 opinions | 24 comments | Last by kteacher
Filter Error 9/24
Asked by ms_hippie_queen | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/24/14
9 opinions | 10 comments | Last by woody050681
Filter Error 9/25
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/25/14
8 opinions | 19 comments | Last by Cali_Kat
Filter Error 9/23
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/23/14
6 opinions | 20 comments | Last by Beaneaters