Skip to Next Poll »
13
Weekend Filter: Gangnam Style
Open thread. Cuz it's the law. It's also the first weekend of -

THE NATIONAL!

FOOTBALL!

LEAGUE!


According to sources at the league office, that's the correct pronunciation. At all times. [citation needed]
Weekend Filter: Gangnam Style Photo
This needs it's own holiday imo. I digress...


Got it? Good. Go.
| Closed on 12/25/13 at 01:15AM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Numeric Input Opinion Poll
15 Fans
Question
13039.3121. Weekend Filter: Gangnam Style

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 738 days ago









yes  First !
99999.999  
  
141 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 738 days ago









yes  First !
99999.999  
#2 | 738 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:








yes  First !
I think we win in the cheerleader department.

Photo: Nikki is your Cheerleader of the Week, presented by GoDominicanRepublic. For more on Nikki, visit www.DolphinsCheerleaders.com
#3 | 738 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

ohwell_ wrote:
I think we win in the cheerleader department.

Photo: Nikki is your Cheerleader of the Week, presented by GoDominicanRepublic. For more on Nikki, visit www.DolphinsCheerleaders.com
Personally, I like Da Bears cheerleaders.  smiley


6  
#4 | 738 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)


Week 2 of the College season begins today, Go Irish! Dallas already played and won in week 1 of the NFL season, hey Jack who did the Cowboys beat again? Geaux Saints! Go Browns!
22  
#5 | 738 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Personally, I like Da Bears cheerleaders.  smiley


Skin woman, show some skin.
#6 | 738 days ago

(Edited by hskrdave)
Go Big Red!!!!  http://www.faniq.com/poll_results.php?poll_id=1439696&rnum=#new

M-I-Z  Z-O-U!!!

Gig 'Em!!

It's Going to be A Great Day of Football!!!!

And maybe spending time with my kids...

And for tomorrow:  Hail to the Redskins!!!  http://www.faniq.com/poll_results.php?poll_id=1439698&rnum=#new

Take the polls hosers.
69  
#7 | 738 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

ohwell_ wrote:
Skin woman, show some skin.
Ask and you shall receive. cool


6  
#8 | 738 days ago

Marcus? Great poll title! I see postings for cheerleaders, I did that a week or so ago, I won't repost, since it would be the same girls (not to be judgmental, but some of my girls faces are not symmetrically correct) I had the most interesting conversation with myself at 4 30 this morning. Go Skins! I'm making Jess's salsa for football. That's it, I need another pot of coffee. Enjoy the day PEACE
367  
#9 | 738 days ago

Today is a battle between what I need to do (work on my ethics course) and what I want to do (US Open Super Saturday, the O's game tonight, the local jazz festival today, alcohol).

Note that college football isn't on that list. It's still not grabbing me. *shrug*
#10 | 738 days ago

I got two words for you:  GAME.  DAY.
.  y

Absolutely perfect football weather today:  75 and sunny.  We had storms here last night that brought a great cold front with them to cool things off for a few days.  The mango melon margaritas are making an encore appearance. 

#11 | 738 days ago

... I almost can't wait.
99999.999  
#12 | 738 days ago

FOOTBALL!!!!!

GO RAMS!!!


Two years ago, I spent opening day of the NFL Season at a wedding...my niece decided to get married that day, and couldn't understand WHY some people refused to come to the wedding....obviously, that family is not loaded with football fans.  That is also the family that decided to have a surprise party on Conference Championship Sunday this past January....so I missed the end of the Ravens-Cheatriots game, and most of the Giants-49ers game.  I AM getting up early tomorrow to do the work around the yard so that I CAN watch the greatest sport....

Have a good weekend everyone!!
69  
#13 | 738 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)


^^^^ I heard she performed with Chris Brown at the VMA's on Thursday, I hope he kills her next time and there will be a next time. Speaking of self preservation. 

I am tired of America protecting those that won't protect themselves, I hate these "helmet off" rules in college football and the NFL. These players know when their helmet comes off, if they are afraid that they might get hurt, then all they have to do is go to the ground. They don't have to continue to play, they choose to. I agree with player safety, but there also comes a point where the players need to be responsible for their own safety.
22  
#14 | 738 days ago

#15 | 738 days ago

My feet still ache from just the first two days of school. I'm doing nothing this weekend (minus a bridal shower and my daughter duties tomorrow) but watching football. It's weird....I grew up a Rams fan but since I hardly ever see them on television, and the two people who schooled me on the team are no longer here, the start of football doesn't get me like the start of hockey does. It's a weird feeling....not having that "connection" to a team....sad even. sigh. Anywhoo......Go RAMS!!

13  
#16 | 738 days ago

ohwell_ wrote:
I think we win in the cheerleader department.

Photo: Nikki is your Cheerleader of the Week, presented by GoDominicanRepublic. For more on Nikki, visit www.DolphinsCheerleaders.com



Hmmm i gonna call it a tie !  Because i can not in good conscious claim that's not hot smiley
99999.999  
#17 | 738 days ago

The radar is starting to get worrisome. It's looking stormy this evening, and the power company around here sucks. Not a good combination.
#18 | 738 days ago

The storms are coming, and coming fast. I have a sinking feeling I'm going to lose cable and internet. However, I just finished the Live Thread, and it's ready and should go up on schedule tomorrow.
#19 | 738 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Go Irish!

carlton dance o gifsoup com Fresh Prince Dance Off! Carlton VS Will (14 gifs)
22  
#20 | 738 days ago

Go Falcons (Air Force, not that other group)

8  
#21 | 738 days ago

(Edited by AlwaysSunshine)
Wow.  What a day.  35-7 win for the Cards, although we played a sh**ty fourth quarter and gave Missouri State every chance to make it respectable. 
My thoughts and prayers are with Tulane Safety Devon Walker and his family and team today.  It's always tough to see a guy go down, knowing that it's something serious.  I hope is prognosis is better than expected. 
#22 | 738 days ago

In this case, I think that I might just become a health nut!

22  
#23 | 738 days ago

You know what ROCKS! TV on, mute button on, ROCKIN to Kings of Leon! I heart them!
367  
#24 | 738 days ago

kteacher wrote:
My feet still ache from just the first two days of school. I'm doing nothing this weekend (minus a bridal shower and my daughter duties tomorrow) but watching football. It's weird....I grew up a Rams fan but since I hardly ever see them on television, and the two people who schooled me on the team are no longer here, the start of football doesn't get me like the start of hockey does. It's a weird feeling....not having that "connection" to a team....sad even. sigh. Anywhoo......Go RAMS!!

Well, Becky...two things...
1. I can fix your feet...just come to the "right" coast.....wink
2.  GO RAMS!!!! Your connection to the Rams has to do with the fact they WERE in LA....I like them because Dad liked them...and now that brother is in St. Louis area, he goes to all home games.  STICK WITH EM!!!
69  
#25 | 738 days ago

JenX63 wrote:
You know what ROCKS! TV on, mute button on, ROCKIN to Kings of Leon! I heart them!
Oh, Jen....just Use Somebody.....
69  
#26 | 738 days ago

icfeet wrote:
Oh, Jen....just Use Somebody.....
lol.... wait, that's not funny Mr I have someone and you"re a lonely ol hag.....
367  
#27 | 737 days ago

I came home from a night out and my cable and internet were back. My wallet is very happy.
#28 | 737 days ago






99999.999  
#29 | 737 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Go my Fantasy Teams, Go Browns and Geaux Saints! Happy NFL Season to you all! Also Jimmy Johnson tweeted that he has a prediction at the top of the FOX pregame that will make Cowboys fans happy! I wonder what it could be.

22  
#30 | 737 days ago

Sid forced my hand 
367  
#31 | 737 days ago

Let the games begin, HAPPY OPENING DAY, FanIQ!
69  
#32 | 737 days ago

Kevin, that's still the most awesome touchdown from last year, and probably of the decade.  I doubt we'll see anything that great this year from anyone unless he does that again himself.
69  
#33 | 737 days ago

kramer wrote:
Let the games begin, HAPPY OPENING DAY, FanIQ!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfbghHdG1s


I thought you might like this...
#34 | 737 days ago

JenX63 wrote:
Sid forced my hand 


Im quite glad i did smiley     That may be some of the Skins best talent cool 
99999.999  
#35 | 737 days ago

Good Morning! Happy Football Season!!.... 'cept Saints fans. 
87  
#36 | 737 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:


Im quite glad i did smiley     That may be some of the Skins best talent cool 
Lol, I know that's just the nervousness of facing my Skins first game out!
367  
#37 | 737 days ago

ohwell_ wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIfbghHdG1s


I thought you might like this...
I can't stand that song, but the visual sure makes up for the sound.wink
69  
#38 | 737 days ago

I f
I forgot to throw in my two cents.
#39 | 737 days ago

Kick off in 30 minutes and I HAVE to go to Publix for Mahi taco stuff.   UGH!

PS,  Y'all are invited, BYOB
#40 | 737 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:


Im quite glad i did smiley     That may be some of the Skins best talent cool 
Plenty of photos of Saints+Skins cheerleaders -Skins Rookie QB Griffin III first game @ NO Saints!!  He's gonna be distracted!
#41 | 737 days ago

hclcdestin wrote:
Plenty of photos of Saints+Skins cheerleaders -Skins Rookie QB Griffin III first game @ NO Saints!!  He's gonna be distracted!
Nope, he's all business on the field!
367  
#42 | 737 days ago

Here for your consumption is this week's NFL Live Thread.
#43 | 737 days ago

JenX63 wrote:
Nope, he's all business on the field!


With Brees in town that field will see more business then usual !
99999.999  
#44 | 737 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Personally, I like Da Bears cheerleaders.  smiley


Kinda overdressed for cheerleaders, doncha think? Although as ugly as they are, the facemasks might be an improvement, lmao.
6969  
#45 | 737 days ago

AlwaysSunshine wrote:
I got two words for you:  GAME.  DAY.
.  y

Absolutely perfect football weather today:  75 and sunny.  We had storms here last night that brought a great cold front with them to cool things off for a few days.  The mango melon margaritas are making an encore appearance. 

she can blow my whistle anytime.
6969  
#46 | 737 days ago

kteacher wrote:
My feet still ache from just the first two days of school. I'm doing nothing this weekend (minus a bridal shower and my daughter duties tomorrow) but watching football. It's weird....I grew up a Rams fan but since I hardly ever see them on television, and the two people who schooled me on the team are no longer here, the start of football doesn't get me like the start of hockey does. It's a weird feeling....not having that "connection" to a team....sad even. sigh. Anywhoo......Go RAMS!!

Teach, as bad as the Rams are now, why would you want them? Just saying.

Anybody here think the NFL will consider expansion just to include L.A. in the league for the #2 market in the country?

If so, what other city that doesn't have a sports team but is rabid-football crazy should be considered?

Should have made a poll, but want your input on cities that need a team. Only one I can think of in a football-crazy place that doesn't have a pro team would be Oklahoma City.
6969  
#47 | 737 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:



Hmmm i gonna call it a tie !  Because i can not in good conscious claim that's not hot smiley
I can
6969  
#48 | 737 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
Go Irish!

carlton dance o gifsoup com Fresh Prince Dance Off! Carlton VS Will (14 gifs)
Oh, hell, why would you  jinx the Irish with THE CARLTON?

Now you just put a pox on the entire season. Thanks.
6969  
#49 | 737 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:





I might have to say that the Saints have the hottest cheerleaders around.
6969  
#50 | 737 days ago

AlwaysSunshine wrote:
I f
I forgot to throw in my two cents.
the theme song to this photo should be http://youtu.be/vNVguvNE7qc
6969  
#51 | 737 days ago

trolls are NOT invited.
#52 | 737 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:


With Brees in town that field will see more business then usual !
Not if we keep him off the field! :D
367  
#53 | 737 days ago

lol
87  
#54 | 737 days ago

Isn't the troll the closest?

And I think the kickoff has become the intentional walk.
69  
#55 | 737 days ago

hskrdave wrote:
Isn't the troll the closest?

And I think the kickoff has become the intentional walk.
that's the unfortunate truth.

Carpenter is gonna be the leading scorer for the Dolphins again.
#56 | 737 days ago

Yay Kickers!!!
69  
#57 | 737 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
ohwell_ wrote:
that's the unfortunate truth.

Carpenter is gonna be the leading scorer for the Dolphins again.
Just invite the troll to hang out with you in a gang infested neighborhood and tell it to wear the rival gangs colors, so it is easier for you to identify it. Then we can hope for the best.
22  
#58 | 737 days ago

Ugh.  Why do I have to be the troll magnet today?sad
#59 | 737 days ago

I will be going to the grocery store soon for some Redskins Koolaid.
69  
#60 | 737 days ago

hskrdave wrote:
I will be going to the grocery store soon for some Redskins Koolaid.
don't drink it!
22  
#61 | 737 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
don't drink it!
but it looks soooooooooo gooooooooooooooood......
69  
#62 | 737 days ago

you mean like calling people trolls and saying they might be gay?

here read the code of conduct about personal attacks before you get banned from the site: http://www.faniq.com/terms.php
69  
#63 | 737 days ago

JenX63 wrote:
Not if we keep him off the field! :D


Or if we just completely play like s**t  indecision  



Skins played better in every aspect of the game - congrat's it was an a** kicking !
99999.999  
#64 | 737 days ago

Hold please. I'm gonna make a secret account. Library is open until 5. Don't tell.
#65 | 737 days ago

it was nice knowing you.
69  
#66 | 737 days ago

87  
#67 | 737 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
hskrdave wrote:
you mean like calling people trolls and saying they might be gay?

here read the code of conduct about personal attacks before you get banned from the site: http://www.faniq.com/terms.php
I think it is rogs, just pay attention to who he is posting to and what he is posting about, he is doing his best gina impersoniation.
22  
#68 | 737 days ago

richard_cranium wrote:
I think it is rogs, just pay attention to who he is posting to and what he is posting about, he is doing his best gina impersoniation.
so now i have to deal with this crap on a good football sunday? 

if you have a personal link to him, can you ask him to wait til tomorrow?
69  
#69 | 737 days ago

hskrdave wrote:
so now i have to deal with this crap on a good football sunday? 

if you have a personal link to him, can you ask him to wait til tomorrow?
Congrats!
87  
#70 | 737 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
hskrdave wrote:
so now i have to deal with this crap on a good football sunday? 

if you have a personal link to him, can you ask him to wait til tomorrow?
I have nothing to do with him, talk to the members of Sparta. He got himself banned for the 3rd time I believe and wants to blame me.

Sorry that person is ruining your football sunday!
22  
#71 | 737 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
Congrats!
For my Redskins?  Thanks.  And back to your Falcons.

I have to go get some KoolAid now.
69  
#72 | 737 days ago

I think I know who that was...

but here's a koala
8  
#73 | 737 days ago

Sharp Square wrote:


Or if we just completely play like s**t  indecision  



Skins played better in every aspect of the game - congrat's it was an a** kicking !
Thank you! 
367  
#74 | 737 days ago

(Edited by AlwaysSunshine)
David Akers just kicked a 63 yard field goal.

Ridiculous.
#75 | 737 days ago

(Edited by richard_cranium)
Lucky me, I got to face Aaron Rodgers in both of my fantasy leagues. He wasn't his usual self, but it was probably enough to beat me.

22  
#76 | 736 days ago

The Pirates are officially done.  If you get swept by the Cubs at home, you are not going to win another game the rest of the year.  I swear Bob Nutting told this team to tank at the trade deadline so he could get his same number draft pick that he lost this year and gave up to get Gaby Sanchez.  He will never be committed to winning.  Just go find me the actress who played Rachel Phelps and I'll hook her up with Nutting, because that's who he runs this team like.
69  
#77 | 736 days ago

The Tulane kid who went down Saturday is still in ICU after 3 hours of surgery to stabilize his spine, but docs say it will be another two  or three days before they will have an accurate prognosis.
#78 | 736 days ago

kramer wrote:
The Pirates are officially done.  If you get swept by the Cubs at home, you are not going to win another game the rest of the year.  I swear Bob Nutting told this team to tank at the trade deadline so he could get his same number draft pick that he lost this year and gave up to get Gaby Sanchez.  He will never be committed to winning.  Just go find me the actress who played Rachel Phelps and I'll hook her up with Nutting, because that's who he runs this team like.
Yes, because owners don't like making money because fans actually show up.

Does anyone have that facepalm picture handy?
#79 | 735 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
Yes, because owners don't like making money because fans actually show up.

Does anyone have that facepalm picture handy?
They're raising Saturday ticket prices by $5 for next season.  If he doesn't actually put a guaranteed winning team together next year at the absolute latest, they will not have fans coming to the games because the people of Pittsburgh won't feel that the team is worth the increase in ticket prices.  Trading Casey McGhee for Chad Qualls told me all I needed to know about how much he actually cared this year.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, until you have actually been here for the last 19 years and seen how this team has been run (Nutting included), you will never understand.  He lies to the public in TV interviews.  I do not believe a damn thing the man says when he talks.  Until he proves me wrong, he's a lying sack of s***.  This city deserves a winning baseball team, it's been too freaking long, and I have absolutely no patience left with this man.  Next year is year 5 of his current "rebuilding" program, which means they have to have a winning team by next year or he's going to be run out of town by the fans.  This season was an even worse collapse than last year, and I smell a rat in the front office.  He's as trustworthy as Richard Nixon in the Watergate scandal.
69  
#80 | 734 days ago

Holy crap. I'm speechless.
#81 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
They're raising Saturday ticket prices by $5 for next season.  If he doesn't actually put a guaranteed winning team together next year at the absolute latest, they will not have fans coming to the games because the people of Pittsburgh won't feel that the team is worth the increase in ticket prices.  Trading Casey McGhee for Chad Qualls told me all I needed to know about how much he actually cared this year.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, until you have actually been here for the last 19 years and seen how this team has been run (Nutting included), you will never understand.  He lies to the public in TV interviews.  I do not believe a damn thing the man says when he talks.  Until he proves me wrong, he's a lying sack of s***.  This city deserves a winning baseball team, it's been too freaking long, and I have absolutely no patience left with this man.  Next year is year 5 of his current "rebuilding" program, which means they have to have a winning team by next year or he's going to be run out of town by the fans.  This season was an even worse collapse than last year, and I smell a rat in the front office.  He's as trustworthy as Richard Nixon in the Watergate scandal.
"The city deserves a winning baseball team"? Why? You already have a football team that's consistently good and a hockey team that's won the cup within the past few years. 
 
That's enough. The Pirates are Pittsburgh's sacrifice to the sports gods. 
#82 | 734 days ago

Trading a crappy third basemen turned crappy first basement to take a flier on some potential bullpen help is giving up?
#83 | 734 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
Trading a crappy third basemen turned crappy first basement to take a flier on some potential bullpen help is giving up?
not to mention that the first basemen you got this year has averaged 19 homers, 87 RBI a season, and a .286 batting average before this year and is still only 26 years old. His power and average will return in a better lineup than what Sanchez had in Florida.

Be grateful you aren't a Marlins fan. NOw that team is one that defines insufferable. Poor Giancarlo "Mike" Stanton. Stuck in purgatory as the team builds around him with no talent whatsoever, until he is arbitration eligible. Then he's trade bait.
6969  
#84 | 734 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Pat wrote:
Holy crap. I'm speechless.
No effing way. surprise
6  
#85 | 734 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Jess wrote:
"The city deserves a winning baseball team"? Why? You already have a football team that's consistently good and a hockey team that's won the cup within the past few years. 
 
That's enough. The Pirates are Pittsburgh's sacrifice to the sports gods. 
Then what are the Cubs? 
6  
#86 | 734 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Then what are the Cubs? 
The Cubs are in a league of their own. I just think it's silly to say that a city "deserves" anything - it's entitlement. Of course, I could just be a bitter Seattle sports fan.
#87 | 734 days ago

anthonyrichardlouisnaught wrote:
not to mention that the first basemen you got this year has averaged 19 homers, 87 RBI a season, and a .286 batting average before this year and is still only 26 years old. His power and average will return in a better lineup than what Sanchez had in Florida.

Be grateful you aren't a Marlins fan. NOw that team is one that defines insufferable. Poor Giancarlo "Mike" Stanton. Stuck in purgatory as the team builds around him with no talent whatsoever, until he is arbitration eligible. Then he's trade bait.
For as frustrating as the Marlins are, they have two WS title in the past 15 years which is 2 more than my team has ever.
#88 | 734 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Jess wrote:
The Cubs are in a league of their own. I just think it's silly to say that a city "deserves" anything - it's entitlement. Of course, I could just be a bitter Seattle sports fan.
smiley


You know I do understand when Joe and Bryan get upset over the Pirates, after all it has been I believe 21 seasons now.  And cities do deserve winning teams. After all cities make tons of money off of their pro and semi pro teams even. 

  That being said, another part of me wants to yell, eff you try going 104 years without a ring! angry  Then I always remind myself that, it takes a lot to be a Cubs fan, and not everyone could do it. And perhaps if we weren't so ok with saying just wait til next year, and sell out Wrigley every game, maybe it would have been different by now. But, we are Cubs fans, and we do say it. And you know what? We say it with grace, and dignity. Because when it does happen, when we win the ring, it will be all the much sweeter. Because we as fans, didn't do the things to our team that other fans do to theirs. I am a Cubs fan. And I wouldn't trade that for all of the Cardinal rings. 
smiley
6  
#89 | 734 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
smiley


You know I do understand when Joe and Bryan get upset over the Pirates, after all it has been I believe 21 seasons now.  And cities do deserve winning teams. After all cities make tons of money off of their pro and semi pro teams even. 

  That being said, another part of me wants to yell, eff you try going 104 years without a ring! angry  Then I always remind myself that, it takes a lot to be a Cubs fan, and not everyone could do it. And perhaps if we weren't so ok with saying just wait til next year, and sell out Wrigley every game, maybe it would have been different by now. But, we are Cubs fans, and we do say it. And you know what? We say it with grace, and dignity. Because when it does happen, when we win the ring, it will be all the much sweeter. Because we as fans, didn't do the things to our team that other fans do to theirs. I am a Cubs fan. And I wouldn't trade that for all of the Cardinal rings. 
smiley
Wellllll.....

Seahawks: 36 years of existence with no championship
Mariners: 35 years of existence with no championship
Sonics: Well....let's not go there. I don't know what's worse; having no championships for your team, or having one and many winning seasons, and then the team moves. (Not that I'm a Sonics fan - I'm talking Seattle sports in general)

I don't believe that Seattle "deserves" anything. Every city with a sports team makes tons of money off their teams, and fans put their hearts and souls into those teams (well...true ones). That would mean that every single city with a sports team "deserves" a winning team, which is just asinine.

But I have to agree with you on fandom - Being part of the 12th Man is an honor; one I wouldn't trade for rings. I stand with you in that respect. I know I haven't waited 104 years, but I have waited the life of my teams, and I'll wait as long as it takes. If that doesn't happen until I'm long gone, then you can bet I'll be right on that field, wherever the championship game(s) are played, watching and screaming my invisible lungs out.
#90 | 734 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Jess wrote:
Wellllll.....

Seahawks: 36 years of existence with no championship
Mariners: 35 years of existence with no championship
Sonics: Well....let's not go there. I don't know what's worse; having no championships for your team, or having one and many winning seasons, and then the team moves. (Not that I'm a Sonics fan - I'm talking Seattle sports in general)

I don't believe that Seattle "deserves" anything. Every city with a sports team makes tons of money off their teams, and fans put their hearts and souls into those teams (well...true ones). That would mean that every single city with a sports team "deserves" a winning team, which is just asinine.

But I have to agree with you on fandom - Being part of the 12th Man is an honor; one I wouldn't trade for rings. I stand with you in that respect. I know I haven't waited 104 years, but I have waited the life of my teams, and I'll wait as long as it takes. If that doesn't happen until I'm long gone, then you can bet I'll be right on that field, wherever the championship game(s) are played, watching and screaming my invisible lungs out.
Amen. 

And I agree with you. When the Cubs finally do it, can you imagine all the generations of Cubs fans yelling from the beyond.  God will need ear muffs.  smiley
6  
#91 | 734 days ago

cubsgirl2 wrote:
Amen. 

And I agree with you. When the Cubs finally do it, can you imagine all the generations of Cubs fans yelling from the beyond.  God will need ear muffs.  smiley
"When the Cubs finally do it". Hah.
#92 | 734 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

Chief_aka_James wrote:
"When the Cubs finally do it". Hah.
angry



Just wait til next year. smiley
6  
#93 | 734 days ago

Jess wrote:
"The city deserves a winning baseball team"? Why? You already have a football team that's consistently good and a hockey team that's won the cup within the past few years. 
 
That's enough. The Pirates are Pittsburgh's sacrifice to the sports gods. 
Wow, Jess, that's a PQ if I ever saw one.  That's the kind of BS from other cities that really annoys the heck out of me.  I never said World Series, I said a team with a winning record.  19 years is a pro sports record for consecutive losing seasons.  NO city deserves that.  All I've wanted to see is a winning season, plain and simple.  If you had lived here and spent your summers actually counting down the days to Steelers training camp, you'd understand how sad it is and what an embarrassment the Pirates have been to not only baseball, but the city of Pittsburgh itself.  Your argument is out of pure hatred for the Steelers and Pens, nothing else.  Everyone thinks we're spoiled because of hockey and football, but for God's sake that's pathetic to think Pittsburgh DESERVES to have a losing baseball team for 20 YEARS just because other cities hate our football and hockey teams for their success.  The Pirates being a winner would actually be GOOD for baseball since they've been so bad for so long.  I'd expect a comment like this from a homer from some city who just sees hatred in their eyes for the Steelers and not much sports knowledge, NOT from someone who follows and is as knowledgeable about sports as you are.
69  
#94 | 734 days ago

(Edited by Jess)
kramer wrote:
Wow, Jess, that's a PQ if I ever saw one.  That's the kind of BS from other cities that really annoys the heck out of me.  I never said World Series, I said a team with a winning record.  19 years is a pro sports record for consecutive losing seasons.  NO city deserves that.  All I've wanted to see is a winning season, plain and simple.  If you had lived here and spent your summers actually counting down the days to Steelers training camp, you'd understand how sad it is and what an embarrassment the Pirates have been to not only baseball, but the city of Pittsburgh itself.  Your argument is out of pure hatred for the Steelers and Pens, nothing else.  Everyone thinks we're spoiled because of hockey and football, but for God's sake that's pathetic to think Pittsburgh DESERVES to have a losing baseball team for 20 YEARS just because other cities hate our football and hockey teams for their success.  The Pirates being a winner would actually be GOOD for baseball since they've been so bad for so long.  I'd expect a comment like this from a homer from some city who just sees hatred in their eyes for the Steelers and not much sports knowledge, NOT from someone who follows and is as knowledgeable about sports as you are.
Nope, nothing out of hatred - I'm just saying (and have said twice, this being the third) that NO city DESERVES a winning team more than any other. Period. 

PS - my initial comment to you about Pittsburgh having enough was tongue in cheek - which is why I added the little yellow guy sticking out his tongue.  I was kidding about that. What I wasn't kidding about is that no city deserves anything. The follow-up I posted as a reply to Glenda (#86) was serious and how I truly feel. And just as no city deserves a winning team, I also don't believe any city DESERVES a losing team either. Every city deserves - just as much as any other - a team and management that will try their hardest every year to do whatever they can to put together a winning team. Whether that works or not, whatever. But like I said - no city deserves anything any more than another.
#95 | 734 days ago

Oh - and I don't hate the Pens at all, actually. They're fun to watch.
#96 | 734 days ago

Jess wrote:
Nope, nothing out of hatred - I'm just saying (and have said twice, this being the third) that NO city DESERVES a winning team more than any other. Period. 

PS - my initial comment to you about Pittsburgh having enough was tongue in cheek - which is why I added the little yellow guy sticking out his tongue.  I was kidding about that. What I wasn't kidding about is that no city deserves anything. The follow-up I posted as a reply to Glenda (#86) was serious and how I truly feel. And just as no city deserves a winning team, I also don't believe any city DESERVES a losing team either. Every city deserves - just as much as any other - a team and management that will try their hardest every year to do whatever they can to put together a winning team. Whether that works or not, whatever. But like I said - no city deserves anything any more than another.
I'm saying to you that this city has been a complete embarrassment in baseball for TWENTY YEARS.  All I'm asking for is one winning season to end this streak.  That's all I've wanted all year, but in typical Bob Nutting fashion, he found a way to f*** it all up at the trade deadline.  He's the problem that really hurts, an owner who has long cared about nothing but his own wallet.  I don't know what's worse, having a losing team for so long or having an owner who you know is not committed to actually trying to stop the bleeding.  If' you'd actually see what he's doing you'd understand why we all feel we deserve something better than his garbage.
69  
#97 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
I'm saying to you that this city has been a complete embarrassment in baseball for TWENTY YEARS.  All I'm asking for is one winning season to end this streak.  That's all I've wanted all year, but in typical Bob Nutting fashion, he found a way to f*** it all up at the trade deadline.  He's the problem that really hurts, an owner who has long cared about nothing but his own wallet.  I don't know what's worse, having a losing team for so long or having an owner who you know is not committed to actually trying to stop the bleeding.  If' you'd actually see what he's doing you'd understand why we all feel we deserve something better than his garbage.
Well then I would say you deserve an owner that actually cares about the team and wants to do what it takes to win - not that you deserve a winning team. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
#98 | 734 days ago

Jess wrote:
Well then I would say you deserve an owner that actually cares about the team and wants to do what it takes to win - not that you deserve a winning team. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
That's precisely the reason I'm sending a letter to Bud Selig demanding an investigation of Nutting's shady tactics once this season ends, because it's now a guarantee the Pirates aren't going to have a winning season.  They need 10 more wins to do that, and the way they've played the last month and a half they'll be lucky to win 3 of them.  Listen to his interviews and he'll claim he's committed to winning, but he just needs to be honest and admit he's tanking.
69  
#99 | 734 days ago

(Edited by kantwistaye)
kramer wrote:
I'm saying to you that this city has been a complete embarrassment in baseball for TWENTY YEARS.  All I'm asking for is one winning season to end this streak.  That's all I've wanted all year, but in typical Bob Nutting fashion, he found a way to f*** it all up at the trade deadline.  He's the problem that really hurts, an owner who has long cared about nothing but his own wallet.  I don't know what's worse, having a losing team for so long or having an owner who you know is not committed to actually trying to stop the bleeding.  If' you'd actually see what he's doing you'd understand why we all feel we deserve something better than his garbage.
But he improved the starting rotation, 1st base, and took a riskless bet on bullpen help at the deadline. The Pirates just regressed to the mean, as did McCutchen (who is just regressing to MVP candidate from clear MVP) and AJ Burnett realized he's never been a good pitcher. That's it. The Pirates did everything they could. They just aren't a playoff team. Reality sucks sometimes.
#100 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
That's precisely the reason I'm sending a letter to Bud Selig demanding an investigation of Nutting's shady tactics once this season ends, because it's now a guarantee the Pirates aren't going to have a winning season.  They need 10 more wins to do that, and the way they've played the last month and a half they'll be lucky to win 3 of them.  Listen to his interviews and he'll claim he's committed to winning, but he just needs to be honest and admit he's tanking.
You're unbelievable.
#101 | 734 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
But he improved the starting rotation, 1st base, and took a riskless bet on bullpen help at the deadline. The Pirates just regressed to the mean, as did McCutchen (who is just regressing to MVP candidate from clear MVP) and AJ Burnett realized he's never been a good pitcher. That's it. The Pirates did everything they could. They just aren't a playoff team. Reality sucks sometimes.
I never even cared about playoffs until I saw win #82, and that's because of what I've seen the last 19 years.  The reality is there was absolutely NO reason to trade for Chad Qualls, NONE.  I'd still take McGhee over Gaby Sanchez.  Burnett is still the best pitcher the Pirates have.  Nutting did everything he could at the deadline to ruin the chemistry this team had and guarantee a 20th straight losing season.  McCutchen struggled in August, but he hasn't been right since he ran into the wall the Friday night game here against the Brewers a few weeks ago.  He's playing hurt and it's detrimental.  Reality can kiss my a$$, because there is no excuse for a team that was SIXTEEN games over .500 in early August to not at least wind up with a winning season, no excuse whatsoever, and I blame Nutting for screwing it up as only he knows how to do, making the trades look good on paper but KNOW he's making the team worse.
69  
#102 | 734 days ago

(Edited by Eric_)
kramer wrote:
I'm saying to you that this city has been a complete embarrassment in baseball for TWENTY YEARS.  All I'm asking for is one winning season to end this streak.  That's all I've wanted all year, but in typical Bob Nutting fashion, he found a way to f*** it all up at the trade deadline.  He's the problem that really hurts, an owner who has long cared about nothing but his own wallet.  I don't know what's worse, having a losing team for so long or having an owner who you know is not committed to actually trying to stop the bleeding.  If' you'd actually see what he's doing you'd understand why we all feel we deserve something better than his garbage.
What exactly did you want them to do at the trade deadline? Trade Cole and Taillon for Adrian Gonzalez? If I recall correctly, you were happy at the time. Looking at it individually, the Pirates acquired:
  • Wandy Rodriguez, an slightly above average starter (103 career ERA+), who has been exactly that as a Pirate (107 ERA+)
  • Gaby Sanchez (for a mere 4th/5th OF in Gorkys Hernandez), who's hitting .270/.357/.446 as a Pirate. That's better than at any point in his career.
  • Travis Snider (admittedly for useful bullpen part Brad Lincoln), who's hitting .264/.354/.367. He's never regained the power he showed early in his career, but the OBP at least makes him useful.
  • Chad Qualls didn't work, but that was a garbage for garbage trade.
So why did it go all to hell for Pittsburgh (even though they could still win the Wild Card if they figure out soon)? Well, McCutcheon has cooled off, and the rest of the lineup isn't good enough to compensate. A 3.48 ERA in the first half has given way to a 4.35 ERA in the second, helped by MacDonald falling off a cliff and Bedard running out of gas. Of course, pitching's the easy thing for them to fix in the future when Cole and Taillon show up.
#103 | 734 days ago

Chief_aka_James wrote:
You're unbelievable.
Let me see a winning team at PNC Park and I might actually change my tune.  Until he proves to me otherwise, Nutting is nothing but a lying scumbag and sad excuse for a human being.
69  
#104 | 734 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
What exactly did you want them to do at the trade deadline? Trade Cole and Taillon for Adrian Gonzalez? If I recall correctly, you were happy at the time. Looking at it individually, the Pirates acquired:
  • Wandy Rodriguez, an slightly above average starter (103 career ERA+), who has been exactly that as a Pirate (107 ERA+)
  • Gaby Sanchez (for a mere 4th/5th OF in Gorkys Hernandez), who's hitting .270/.357/.446 as a Pirate. That's better than at any point in his career.
  • Travis Snider (admittedly for useful bullpen part Brad Lincoln), who's hitting .264/.354/.367. He's never regained the power he showed early in his career, but the OBP at least makes him useful.
  • Chad Qualls didn't work, but that was a garbage for garbage trade.
So why did it go all to hell for Pittsburgh (even though they could still win the Wild Card if they figure out soon)? Well, McCutcheon has cooled off, and the rest of the lineup isn't good enough to compensate. A 3.48 ERA in the first half has given way to a 4.35 ERA in the second, helped by MacDonald falling off a cliff and Bedard running out of gas. Of course, pitching's the easy thing for them to fix in the future when Cole and Taillon show up.
You're forgetting they also gave up that compensatory draft pick to get Sanchez, you know, the one they were guaranteed to have for failing to sign Mark Appel.  I was happy about Wandy Rodriguez, not so much about getting rid of Brad Lincoln and bringing in Chad Qualls.  Nutting has one more year under his current "5-year rebuilding plan" to put a winner on that baseball field, that's it.  I know everyone on this site thinks I'm crazy because I'm the only one with the fortitude to speak the truth about Bob Nutting, but as I said before, until you actually live here and see the crap he pulls, you will never understand.  You can't always go by stats alone, Eric.  You sometimes have to actually look at what the man does, and what he does is f*** up a good thing year after year, end of story.
69  
#105 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
Let me see a winning team at PNC Park and I might actually change my tune.  Until he proves to me otherwise, Nutting is nothing but a lying scumbag and sad excuse for a human being.
Let me ask you this then: who the f**k are you to need to be proven to? Why do you think you're SO entitled? It's utterly ridiculous.
#106 | 734 days ago

Chief_aka_James wrote:
Let me ask you this then: who the f**k are you to need to be proven to? Why do you think you're SO entitled? It's utterly ridiculous.
Wow, you're unbelievable yourself.  My point is if he'd actually put a winner on that field and show he cares, I may actually stop throwing him under the bus every chance I get.  Until he does that, I'm going to keep ridiculing the man because I have never trusted him from day one.  I don't feel I'm entitled to everything, but I do feel that we in Pittsburgh are entitled to the truth out of the owner's mouth, and he's not doing that, never has, case closed.
69  
#107 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
I never even cared about playoffs until I saw win #82, and that's because of what I've seen the last 19 years.  The reality is there was absolutely NO reason to trade for Chad Qualls, NONE.  I'd still take McGhee over Gaby Sanchez.  Burnett is still the best pitcher the Pirates have.  Nutting did everything he could at the deadline to ruin the chemistry this team had and guarantee a 20th straight losing season.  McCutchen struggled in August, but he hasn't been right since he ran into the wall the Friday night game here against the Brewers a few weeks ago.  He's playing hurt and it's detrimental.  Reality can kiss my a$$, because there is no excuse for a team that was SIXTEEN games over .500 in early August to not at least wind up with a winning season, no excuse whatsoever, and I blame Nutting for screwing it up as only he knows how to do, making the trades look good on paper but KNOW he's making the team worse.
Wanting Casey McGhee over pretty much anyone, let alone a guy with some pop makes you look completely ridiculous. Completely ridiculous. McGhee was a Brewer, I know his talent level. I like him, but he had one good fluke year for the Brewers. We realized it, moved him immediately for a bullpen guy who has a f***ing arm, but no accuracy what so ever. We took a bullpen risk, just like the Pirates did with McGhee.

So you agree with McCutchen. I'm not really criticizing him. He's still MVP quailty, he just cooled off. It happens.

Plenty of teams have choked before.  Think Red Sox fans thought they'd be in this position a year ago?

And those trades didn't just look good on paper, as Eric pointed out, they actually made the Pirates better.
#108 | 734 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
Wanting Casey McGhee over pretty much anyone, let alone a guy with some pop makes you look completely ridiculous. Completely ridiculous. McGhee was a Brewer, I know his talent level. I like him, but he had one good fluke year for the Brewers. We realized it, moved him immediately for a bullpen guy who has a f***ing arm, but no accuracy what so ever. We took a bullpen risk, just like the Pirates did with McGhee.

So you agree with McCutchen. I'm not really criticizing him. He's still MVP quailty, he just cooled off. It happens.

Plenty of teams have choked before.  Think Red Sox fans thought they'd be in this position a year ago?

And those trades didn't just look good on paper, as Eric pointed out, they actually made the Pirates better.
Chad Qualls made the Pirates better?  Getting rid of McGhee did something to the chemistry the team had.  I still believe McCutchen has been playing hurt for about the last 3 weeks now, but that'll probably come out after the season that his leg was sprained or something was twisted.
69  
#109 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
You're forgetting they also gave up that compensatory draft pick to get Sanchez, you know, the one they were guaranteed to have for failing to sign Mark Appel.  I was happy about Wandy Rodriguez, not so much about getting rid of Brad Lincoln and bringing in Chad Qualls.  Nutting has one more year under his current "5-year rebuilding plan" to put a winner on that baseball field, that's it.  I know everyone on this site thinks I'm crazy because I'm the only one with the fortitude to speak the truth about Bob Nutting, but as I said before, until you actually live here and see the crap he pulls, you will never understand.  You can't always go by stats alone, Eric.  You sometimes have to actually look at what the man does, and what he does is f*** up a good thing year after year, end of story.
They traded the new compensation pick for small market teams, which are the only picks you can trade. You can't trade that compensation pick for not signing a player. In return you got a player who will be cheap until 2016. If you want to be good in 2013 and beyond, Sanchez will be a better asset than that draft pick.

Oh, I forgot one other reason for the tank: your manager is terrible.

Also, according to Keith Law, there are rumors that Huntington could be fired if the Pirates don't finish above .500 (these rumors are from the beginning of the season). If true, it's not exactly the talk of an owner trying to sabotage, unless you think Huntington is a great GM, and I know from previous discussions you don't.
#110 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
Chad Qualls made the Pirates better?  Getting rid of McGhee did something to the chemistry the team had.  I still believe McCutchen has been playing hurt for about the last 3 weeks now, but that'll probably come out after the season that his leg was sprained or something was twisted.
You risked literally nothing in Chad Qualls. Literally nothing. You improved 1B, moved a COMPLETELY WORTHLESS  FIRST BASEMEN for a RP. A guy who, hell, who knows, might catch fire and improve your bullpen. Absolutely no risk.

And the idea that chemistry matters in the most individualistic team sport there is, is kind of laughable. Especially since nobody can prove the chemistry.

And sure, who the hell knows what is up with McCutchen. Most reasonable people say a guy probably can't hit .375 with awesome power for an entire year, but even if he could, it was the owner who injured him??!??
#111 | 734 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
You risked literally nothing in Chad Qualls. Literally nothing. You improved 1B, moved a COMPLETELY WORTHLESS  FIRST BASEMEN for a RP. A guy who, hell, who knows, might catch fire and improve your bullpen. Absolutely no risk.

And the idea that chemistry matters in the most individualistic team sport there is, is kind of laughable. Especially since nobody can prove the chemistry.

And sure, who the hell knows what is up with McCutchen. Most reasonable people say a guy probably can't hit .375 with awesome power for an entire year, but even if he could, it was the owner who injured him??!??
I didn't say it was the owner who injured him.  Where was I tying Nutting into McCutchen getting hurt?  They were playing very closely as a team, having fun and enjoying themselves in the clubhouse, it was a completely different atmosphere as opposed to what has happened since July 31st.  Chad Qualls has always been shaky at best as a reliever.
69  
#112 | 734 days ago


I clearly remember someone telling a certain fan not to be too excited and cheery..............there were a lot of games to still be played, you don't want to jinx the team (heck....I didn't relax till the very last second of game 6 and the Kings had a 6-1 lead...lol). But this person didn't listen
13  
#113 | 734 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
They traded the new compensation pick for small market teams, which are the only picks you can trade. You can't trade that compensation pick for not signing a player. In return you got a player who will be cheap until 2016. If you want to be good in 2013 and beyond, Sanchez will be a better asset than that draft pick.

Oh, I forgot one other reason for the tank: your manager is terrible.

Also, according to Keith Law, there are rumors that Huntington could be fired if the Pirates don't finish above .500 (these rumors are from the beginning of the season). If true, it's not exactly the talk of an owner trying to sabotage, unless you think Huntington is a great GM, and I know from previous discussions you don't.
He's not the greatest GM the world has ever seen, but he is better than the last 2 GMs we've had in Bonifay and Littlefield.  I've said I actually believe he has somewhat of a brain.  Sanchez has to start producing if he's going to have an impact.  This team has no time for the waiting game, we've all waited long enough here.  Hurdle is not terrible either, he's a vast improvement over what he replaced, and instilled a confidence in this team that they never had before.  I've long said Nutting should sell the team.  He's very similar to Dan Snyder, rich and not willing to spend too much money for good players until they're past their prime.  My mouth dropped to the floor when he actually signed McCutchen to a long-term deal.  I'm done waiting for the future, start winning NOW!  That's all there is to it.
69  
#114 | 734 days ago

kteacher wrote:

I clearly remember someone telling a certain fan not to be too excited and cheery..............there were a lot of games to still be played, you don't want to jinx the team (heck....I didn't relax till the very last second of game 6 and the Kings had a 6-1 lead...lol). But this person didn't listen
Cheering and being happy that the team was successful didn't jinx them, Becky.no
69  
#115 | 734 days ago

(Edited by kantwistaye)
kramer wrote:
I didn't say it was the owner who injured him.  Where was I tying Nutting into McCutchen getting hurt?  They were playing very closely as a team, having fun and enjoying themselves in the clubhouse, it was a completely different atmosphere as opposed to what has happened since July 31st.  Chad Qualls has always been shaky at best as a reliever.
Well, most reasonable people would say you've blamed the owner for the Pirates collapse. Most reasonably people would cite that the Pirates have regressed to the mean. McCutchen couldn't hit that well, Burnett couldn't pitch that well, and the rest of the team was pretty damn average at best. But you, you, you blamed the owner for this. So, just kind of reasonable you'd site McCutchen's injury, which only you have cited, as being on him.

And yeah, Qualls has always been a bit shaky. But you took a no risk bet on him panning out. That's a win no matter what, even if he doesn't pan out. He sucked, oh well, you gave up nothing for him. Life happens. It did with Chad Qualls.
#116 | 734 days ago

kantwistaye wrote:
Well, most reasonable people would say you've blamed the owner for the Pirates collapse. Most reasonably people would cite that the Pirates have regressed to the mean. McCutchen couldn't hit that well, Burnett couldn't pitch that well, and the rest of the team was pretty damn average at best. But you, you, you blamed the owner for this. So, just kind of reasonable you'd site McCutchen's injury, which only you have cited, as being on him.

And yeah, Qualls has always been a bit shaky. But you took a no risk bet on him panning out. That's a win no matter what, even if he doesn't pan out. He sucked, oh well, you gave up nothing for him. Life happens. It did with Chad Qualls.
I blamed the owner for changing this clubhouse atmosphere to the polar opposite it was before the deadline.  You didn't see what I saw earlier this year in that dugout.  It was all a team effort, now since the deadline they've been completely different.  You took a risk on a guy you knew has never amounted to anything, and that to me is a huge gaffe.  You're the one who's trying to get me to tie McCutchen's injury to Nutting, not me, YOU YOU YOU!  The play I'm talking about was against the Brewers, so you had to have seen it, it was the bases clearing double that A-Ram hit and McCutchen tried to make a sliding catch, slammed feet first into the wall and stayed down for a minute.  He was not fine after that play.  A couple nights later he tripped over a divot and started limping.  He was slumping before that, but right now there's no way he's 100%, and you're pretty bold to actually try to tie that into Bob Nutting, because I sure as heck never did.  So thanks for assuming things, that's all she wrote.
69  
#117 | 734 days ago

Is this a bad time to thank Pittsburgh for DFA'ing Nate McLouth?
#118 | 734 days ago

Eric_ wrote:
Is this a bad time to thank Pittsburgh for DFA'ing Nate McLouth?
If he's doing well with the O's, more power to him.  That DFA was imminent, he was playing horribly.  He hadn't done much of anything since the day the Pirates traded him to Atlanta 3 years ago, and was almost an automatic out this year for the Bucs.  I'm still not sad about him being gone, when he was traded the first time that did pave the way for McCutchen.
69  
#119 | 734 days ago

indecision
#120 | 734 days ago

kramer wrote:
I blamed the owner for changing this clubhouse atmosphere to the polar opposite it was before the deadline.  You didn't see what I saw earlier this year in that dugout.  It was all a team effort, now since the deadline they've been completely different.  You took a risk on a guy you knew has never amounted to anything, and that to me is a huge gaffe.  You're the one who's trying to get me to tie McCutchen's injury to Nutting, not me, YOU YOU YOU!  The play I'm talking about was against the Brewers, so you had to have seen it, it was the bases clearing double that A-Ram hit and McCutchen tried to make a sliding catch, slammed feet first into the wall and stayed down for a minute.  He was not fine after that play.  A couple nights later he tripped over a divot and started limping.  He was slumping before that, but right now there's no way he's 100%, and you're pretty bold to actually try to tie that into Bob Nutting, because I sure as heck never did.  So thanks for assuming things, that's all she wrote.
Soooo.. you're blaming this all on something you can't actually prove, something that is dubious at best. Because most clubhouses react to trades in a positive way, especially trades that are clearly meant to improve them, LIKE EVERY TRADE THE PIRATES MADE.

I'm just trying to figure out how Nutting is to be blamed, and, seriously, the best argument you've made is that McCutchen is injured.
#121 | 733 days ago

Man, I wish this argument wasn't about baseball.
87  
#122 | 733 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

kantwistaye wrote:
Soooo.. you're blaming this all on something you can't actually prove, something that is dubious at best. Because most clubhouses react to trades in a positive way, especially trades that are clearly meant to improve them, LIKE EVERY TRADE THE PIRATES MADE.

I'm just trying to figure out how Nutting is to be blamed, and, seriously, the best argument you've made is that McCutchen is injured.
I think what he is saying is, that when you have an owner that doesn't seem to care about his team, the players aren't going to either. And trust me on this he is correct.  Trading a player, that keeps up the morale of the team, and still works hard, even though he may not be the best player, is a stupid trade. And on that he is also correct.  The Cubs have killed themselves on bad trades. 
6  
#123 | 733 days ago
cubsgirl2 (+)

kobe_lova wrote:
Man, I wish this argument wasn't about baseball.
Man, I wished you liked baseball so you could see why we are all so passionate about it. smiley
6  
#124 | 733 days ago

Now I am NOT a Dolphins fan...

but boyyyyy, they sure do know how to gain attention!!

56  
#125 | 733 days ago

kramer wrote:
Wow, Jess, that's a PQ if I ever saw one.  That's the kind of BS from other cities that really annoys the heck out of me.  I never said World Series, I said a team with a winning record.  19 years is a pro sports record for consecutive losing seasons.  NO city deserves that.  All I've wanted to see is a winning season, plain and simple.  If you had lived here and spent your summers actually counting down the days to Steelers training camp, you'd understand how sad it is and what an embarrassment the Pirates have been to not only baseball, but the city of Pittsburgh itself.  Your argument is out of pure hatred for the Steelers and Pens, nothing else.  Everyone thinks we're spoiled because of hockey and football, but for God's sake that's pathetic to think Pittsburgh DESERVES to have a losing baseball team for 20 YEARS just because other cities hate our football and hockey teams for their success.  The Pirates being a winner would actually be GOOD for baseball since they've been so bad for so long.  I'd expect a comment like this from a homer from some city who just sees hatred in their eyes for the Steelers and not much sports knowledge, NOT from someone who follows and is as knowledgeable about sports as you are.
No, the Pirates are EXACTLY what Pittsburgh deserves.
#126 | 733 days ago

Pat wrote:
No, the Pirates are EXACTLY what Pittsburgh deserves.
Hiiiiiiii
#127 | 733 days ago

Pat wrote:
No, the Pirates are EXACTLY what Pittsburgh deserves.
Hi Pavlov, shocker that you didn't reply to this sooner, you being so anti-Pittsburgh and all.  You can go back to whatever you were doing, the fun is over.
69  
#128 | 733 days ago

By the way, Pat, going by your logic full of hatred, since I can't stand Boston and their fans, the Red So this year are what Boston deserves.  See?  I can play that game too.
69  
#129 | 733 days ago

kramer wrote:
Hi Pavlov, shocker that you didn't reply to this sooner, you being so anti-Pittsburgh and all.  You can go back to whatever you were doing, the fun is over.
Nope. The fun's not even close to being over.

I actually want to hear some more about why you think the Pirates are tanking.

You realize this isn't basketball or football, where high draft picks can come in and contribute right away, right? Even if the Pirates tanked and somehow snagged the #1 overall pick, there's no guarantee that it would work out. Even if the guy DID pan out, it would be 3-4 years before he ever hit the big leagues anyway. But yeah, I'm sure they've decided to be the only baseball team in the history of MLB to tank for a draft pick.

Hey, maybe they can draft Mark Appel again. You know... the guy who was smart enough to go back to school once he found out he got drafted by the organization with the douchiest fans in the world.

Basically, your conspiracy theory is pretty much the most asinine thing I've heard in a long, LONG time.

And yeah... we Boston fans have gotten EXACTLY what we deserve over the past few years.




Hey Kramer... tell me how my @$$ tastes.
#130 | 733 days ago

The fact that you think a team that has been losers for 19 years, and soon to be 20, has the "douchiest fanbase in the world" proves that you are nothing more than a hater.  All the Pirates fanbase wants to see is a winning team, that's it.  This city has high expectations for the Steelers and Pens.  For the Pirates, there's absolutely no expectations for them, just false hope when they started winning so much earlier this year.  When you DO have a top 10 draft pick for so many consecutive years, you should at least have a competitive team at some point that can first finish above .500, and from there hopefully compete for a spot in the playoffs, that's the same in ANY sport.  I don't blame Appel, he wasn't going to sign with anyone.  He also screwed himself more in the long run because that's the second time he was drafted and didn't sign a contract.  Now nobody is going to want him, and I thought the Bucs were stupid for taking the chance.  The reason he fell to #9 was because he had the signability issues.  When you pass up chances to draft Matt Weiters and Jayson Heyward (just to name a couple recent failures), you either don't know how to put a winner together or don't WANT to.  Nutting is a very smart businessman, and smart enough to run a team into the ground and screw up a good thing.  It's not stupidity, it's refusal.  He was supposedly banking on his ski resort getting a slots license and could then put all kinds of money into the Pirates.  He didn't get it, so now he's finding ways to mess up a team that was finally starting to come together.  You may think the conspiracy theory is ridiculous, but I've smelled a rat since the day he bought into the ownership group 10 years ago (yes, he wasn't sole owner until 2007, but Kevin McClatchy was his puppet since he had more money to spend on the team than McClatchy).
69  
#131 | 732 days ago

(Edited by kantwistaye)
But what is smart about ruining a good thing? If Nutting is going off pure profit motive, why'd he extend McCutchen while he still had him cheap?  And missing out on big talents doesn't prove a lack of want to, but a lack of knowing how to. It happens. Sometimes incompetent people run baseball teams, and given how it takes years of good drafting and development to fix a bad team (I saw my Brewers go through a slightly shorter era of awfulness, so I've seen how this goes) having one incompetent GM can screw over a team for a decade, especially if they don't have the financial resources to buy talent.  That's what happened to the Pirates.  They are clearly on the right road, but they're young, inexperienced, were depending on two guys outplaying their talent level to various degrees, and can't hit.  Why should they be guaranteed a .500 season?
#132 | 732 days ago

You're right, Kramer. Now that Appel's signability issues are completely over, since he doesn't have the option of going back to school again, no one is going to want a guy who is potentially the best pitcher available in the draft.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? Literally everything you say is completely nonsense.

Also, I wasn't singling out Pirates fans. I was referring to all of the greater Pittsburgh area. It's clearly chock full of douchebags. I see no other explanation for your behavior other than the fact that you think it's acceptable because that's how you were raised, and that's what you see all around you.
#133 | 732 days ago

87  
#134 | 732 days ago

My Little Pony-Gangnam Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H40wUz-Fd8
#135 | 732 days ago

I've said it elsewhere, I'm sure.  And I'll say it again.  I'd love to see Pat decimate the thread bomber.

#136 | 732 days ago

Pat wrote:
You're right, Kramer. Now that Appel's signability issues are completely over, since he doesn't have the option of going back to school again, no one is going to want a guy who is potentially the best pitcher available in the draft.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? Literally everything you say is completely nonsense.

Also, I wasn't singling out Pirates fans. I was referring to all of the greater Pittsburgh area. It's clearly chock full of douchebags. I see no other explanation for your behavior other than the fact that you think it's acceptable because that's how you were raised, and that's what you see all around you.
I've never seen a reasonable Boston fan on this site.  You just look for arguments with Pittsburgh fans because of your hatred for them.  You're so condescending it's laughable, just like the team leader that's an equal to me at work that thinks she can talk down to me.  She gets all defensive when I tell her why I can't work with her.  Denial is a classic defense mechanism, meaning when you say you're not saying things out of pure hatred, you know inside that you are.  Don't try to play the game with me, Pat.  You think the city of Pittsburgh is full of nothing but "douchebags," but what do you call the way you act towards those same fans?  It's not exactly pleasant, and it's not "just the facts" either as you'll probably try to tell me.

People ARE going to be wary of Appel's signability, as I said that's the reason he wasn't drafted earlier than the 9th pick this year.  I love how you think you're always right, but I'm here to tell you you're just another classic Boston jag-off who likes to be so pompous, and say stuff just to annoy people and get them riled up.  That, sir, is the mark of a jerk.  Have a nice night, we are done here now.  In fact this has been done for 24 hours before you butted in, but you had to beat a dead horse.  Peace out.
69  
#137 | 731 days ago

kramer wrote:
I've never seen a reasonable Boston fan on this site.  You just look for arguments with Pittsburgh fans because of your hatred for them.  You're so condescending it's laughable, just like the team leader that's an equal to me at work that thinks she can talk down to me.  She gets all defensive when I tell her why I can't work with her.  Denial is a classic defense mechanism, meaning when you say you're not saying things out of pure hatred, you know inside that you are.  Don't try to play the game with me, Pat.  You think the city of Pittsburgh is full of nothing but "douchebags," but what do you call the way you act towards those same fans?  It's not exactly pleasant, and it's not "just the facts" either as you'll probably try to tell me.

People ARE going to be wary of Appel's signability, as I said that's the reason he wasn't drafted earlier than the 9th pick this year.  I love how you think you're always right, but I'm here to tell you you're just another classic Boston jag-off who likes to be so pompous, and say stuff just to annoy people and get them riled up.  That, sir, is the mark of a jerk.  Have a nice night, we are done here now.  In fact this has been done for 24 hours before you butted in, but you had to beat a dead horse.  Peace out.
But Pat is right on Appel. Signability is only an issue when you have leverage. Say what you want about Pat, but he's right here.
#138 | 731 days ago

At the risk of getting booted/deleted/banned from the site:

It's just sports.  Not life or death.
69  
#139 | 731 days ago

kramer wrote:
I've never seen a reasonable Boston fan on this site.  You just look for arguments with Pittsburgh fans because of your hatred for them.  You're so condescending it's laughable, just like the team leader that's an equal to me at work that thinks she can talk down to me.  She gets all defensive when I tell her why I can't work with her.  Denial is a classic defense mechanism, meaning when you say you're not saying things out of pure hatred, you know inside that you are.  Don't try to play the game with me, Pat.  You think the city of Pittsburgh is full of nothing but "douchebags," but what do you call the way you act towards those same fans?  It's not exactly pleasant, and it's not "just the facts" either as you'll probably try to tell me.

People ARE going to be wary of Appel's signability, as I said that's the reason he wasn't drafted earlier than the 9th pick this year.  I love how you think you're always right, but I'm here to tell you you're just another classic Boston jag-off who likes to be so pompous, and say stuff just to annoy people and get them riled up.  That, sir, is the mark of a jerk.  Have a nice night, we are done here now.  In fact this has been done for 24 hours before you butted in, but you had to beat a dead horse.  Peace out.
"People ARE going to be wary of Appel's signability, as I said that's the reason he wasn't drafted earlier than the 9th pick this year."

But... but... but... he WAS drafted earlier than the 9th pick.

There's a reason I always think I'm right, good sir. It's because I am. And that's because I make the effort to educate myself. This is an area where you could definitely make some improvements.
#140 | 731 days ago

Pat wrote:
"People ARE going to be wary of Appel's signability, as I said that's the reason he wasn't drafted earlier than the 9th pick this year."

But... but... but... he WAS drafted earlier than the 9th pick.

There's a reason I always think I'm right, good sir. It's because I am. And that's because I make the effort to educate myself. This is an area where you could definitely make some improvements.
Oh my God he was the #8 pick.  Excuse me, you're right about something...you still don't see my point though.  He fell so far because of the signability issues, and the Pirates were stupid enough to pick him even though they knew they were going to have trouble getting him to actually sign a contract.  You, sir, are not "always" right, nobody is.  Nobody is perfect, so stop pretending that you are and move on with your life.  I've told you before this was over THREE DAYS AGO now, but you're the moron that just won't let it go and want to keep ridiculing me and being a jag-off.  Stop beating a dead horse.  I've been done with this, but you don't know when to STFU.  You really are like Pavlov's dogs, Mooser was completely accurate when he first said that to you.  You just can't stay away from being a pompous a$$ to anyone from Pittsburgh.  I don't care that you were in the military and think you're so tough, you're just flat out ignorant, and always have been on here.  You don't know how to actually debate someone without belittling them, and until you do, you're not worth my time.  Now, GOOD DAY!
69  
#141 | 730 days ago

Oh, I saw your point. I just disagreed with it, because you were wrong and incredibly ignorant.

One thing I DO agree with is that the Pirates were stupid to draft him, particularly if they knew they weren't willing to part with the money it would take to sign him. But that has nothing to do with his signability NEXT year, when he won't have the option to go back to school and re-enter the draft later.

And as much as you like to compare me to Pavlov's dogs... I don't see you letting it go, either. Hmmm...

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
Filter Error 09/16
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Today
7 opinions | 33 comments | Last by woody050681
Why is a raven like a writing-desk?
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/13/14
5 opinions | 4 comments | Last by Oddfool
We're ALL a little Looney
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/13/14
4 opinions | 6 comments | Last by Oddfool
How old is your soul?
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/13/14
4 opinions | 10 comments | Last by Oddfool
ZOINKS!
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/14/14
10 opinions | 14 comments | Last by Oddfool