Skip to Next Poll »
6
MLB - The Great Debate - Who was the Greatest Number 8?
I've been following MLB for 40 years now,always appreciated when a player or manager gets his uniform number retired --  Did you know David Concepcion, Reds is the only #13 to be retired by any team,
Thurman Munson,Yankees is the only #15 retired by any MLB team

The Great Debate - Who was the greatest number 8?
| Closed on 10/24/13 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | MLB | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
31 Fans 
3%a. Willie Stargell, Pirates
3%b. Joe Morgan, Reds
26%c. Yogi Berra, Yankees
23%d. Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox
45%e. Cal Ripken, Orioles
0%f. Gary Carter, Expos,Mets
0%g. someone else

  
16 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 737 days ago

ALL GREAT........but i gotta go with RIPKEN........2,600 + STRAIGHT GAMES...........NOOOOOOOOOO ONE GETS CLOSE TO THIS RECORD.........EVER.........yes
Cal Ripken, Orioles  
#2 | 736 days ago

Decided to go with the guy who could run, get on base, play flawless D and pop one out every so often.
Joe Morgan, Reds   
#3 | 736 days ago

Nick Punto Cal Ripken, obviously, but Berra was close to getting my vote.
Cal Ripken, Orioles  
#4 | 726 days ago

Berra the best of the bunch. Catcher for 10 World Series Championships, including the only perfect game in World Series History, and won an 11th as an OF.  MVP 3 times.

Second place to me would be Cal Ripken, it's a shame he never won a world series.
Yogi Berra, Yankees  
#5 | 719 days ago

anthonyrichardlouisnaught wrote:
Berra the best of the bunch. Catcher for 10 World Series Championships, including the only perfect game in World Series History, and won an 11th as an OF.  MVP 3 times.

Second place to me would be Cal Ripken, it's a shame he never won a world series.
Sure he did...1983... 4 games to 1 over the Phillies
Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox  
#6 | 717 days ago

Went back and forth between Berra and Ripken,,,,ended with Ripken...
Cal Ripken, Orioles  
#7 | 708 days ago

Michael_G wrote:
Sure he did...1983... 4 games to 1 over the Phillies
I was just about to say the same thing. Thought he played on that team, hit like crap but the Orioles won.
Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox  
#8 | 708 days ago

I respect what Cal did and I love Carter, being a big guy and still be one hell of a catcher. Berra was great and he is forgotten a lot because of the teams had had played on, many of his teammates taking front stage. Mogan and Stargell, good and cannot go wrong, but if I was building a team by retired numbers I would have to the Yazz.
Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox  
#9 | 672 days ago

Michael_G wrote:
Sure he did...1983... 4 games to 1 over the Phillies
brain diarrhea here, forgot about that.
Yogi Berra, Yankees  
#10 | 672 days ago

jaysinw wrote:
I respect what Cal did and I love Carter, being a big guy and still be one hell of a catcher. Berra was great and he is forgotten a lot because of the teams had had played on, many of his teammates taking front stage. Mogan and Stargell, good and cannot go wrong, but if I was building a team by retired numbers I would have to the Yazz.
if you don't take a player of Berra's caliber, you wind up with alot of wild pitches, lmao (another yogism.) Seriously, a 3 time MVP and winner of 10 World Series Titles, and you take the 3rd best LF in Red Sox History? geez, no wonder they couldn't win a World Series for 100 years.
Yogi Berra, Yankees  
#11 | 672 days ago

anthonyrichardlouisnaught wrote:
if you don't take a player of Berra's caliber, you wind up with alot of wild pitches, lmao (another yogism.) Seriously, a 3 time MVP and winner of 10 World Series Titles, and you take the 3rd best LF in Red Sox History? geez, no wonder they couldn't win a World Series for 100 years.
Wow 10 WS he did it on teams full on stars, not that I am taking anything anyway from Yogi. Even without him the Yankees would have won 8 -10 WS during that time with all the same players. The 10 WS titles mean nothing in this debate, it is silly to even bring it up or say so. No wonder they did not win one in 100 yrs is straight dumb not even funny for they have been there and came close so it is not like they can in last every year for 100yrs, I still cannot believe you would say that, it is like a Yankee fan saying we have the best team because we won 27 WS. Means nothing on how your team finished the season.

 As for the 3rd best LF'r from the BOSOX, who do you have above him besides Ted Williams? Even at 3rd I would take him over Yogi has only 2 more MVP, which has been a joke since baseball started it back in 1911 as the Chalmers award. Also the last true triple crown winner of not only the AL, in MLB, Cabrera, take away his stats against NL teams as well of all the others in the AL he would not have won the AL triple crown, and he did not have the stats to win the ML triple if you include the inter league stats.

As for the yogism, he just needed someone to catcher, look the Yankees won the series with catchers like Joe Garardi, Jorge Posada, Jim Leyritz,  you do not need a great one to win the World Series.

Yes I would take Carl Yastrzemski over Yogi to build a team, I can find a catcher to stop wild pitches.
Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox  
#12 | 596 days ago

It's Yogi Berra, winner of 10 World Series. The #8 is retired by the Yankees...but for Bill Dickey, the Hall of Fame catcher of the Yankees before Berra.

Dickey was part of the great Gehrig/DiMaggio Yankees, and was brought back by the Yankees to help mentor Berra.
Yogi Berra, Yankees  
#13 | 590 days ago

For me it will always be the Oriole Cal Ripken!!!
Cal Ripken, Orioles  
#14 | 573 days ago

Cal...all Day
Cal Ripken, Orioles  
#15 | 516 days ago

Yaz has been one of the most underrated players in baseball history for decades now. The fact that people would actually vote for Ripken or Berra ahead of him is laughable.
Carl Yastrzemski, Red Sox  
#16 | 516 days ago

Pat wrote:
Yaz has been one of the most underrated players in baseball history for decades now. The fact that people would actually vote for Ripken or Berra ahead of him is laughable.
Ripken...  Sure.   Berra?  Not quite as cut and dry.
Joe Morgan, Reds   

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/1**N.L Wildcard
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, PIT, SF | 3 questions asked 09/28/14
42 predictions | 1 comment | Last by cubfanbudman | 3 hours left
MLB*Chasing Joe D*The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/2**Tigers @ Orioles
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, PIT, SF | 3 questions asked 09/28/14
36 predictions | Last by hclcdestin
Who are your heroes among zeroes (0/00)?
Asked by hclcdestin | MLB, FanIQ | 3 questions asked 08/03/14
15 opinions | 3 comments | Last by obearlarry
Who's #1 among number ones?
Asked by hclcdestin | MLB | 3 questions asked 08/04/14
15 opinions | 1 comment | Last by Burrellfan1