Skip to Next Poll »
14
can i run something by y'all really quick?
during all of my yard working lately, i have been day dreaming about a little money maker and i'm starting to take my day dreaming seriously. this is what i have so far and i was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or additions for it? i've never done anything like this before (cause i'm a lazy, spoiled girl) and really have no clue what i'm doing:

Flower Child - "I'll make your bed rock!"
- Weeding. No chemicals, just straight pulling
- Three job sizes - $30, $45, $60
- If I don't get it finished in a day, its half price!
- Trying to make a little extra cash to fund my own garden project, so this isn't a business. Just a fundraiser.
- I pull at a 90% from-the-root rate so one or two may pop back up by the next week. For $5, I'll return the next week and get the new sprouts
- I work hard, I get dirty, I take minimal smoke breaks
- I supply my own stuff
- Full clean up and disposal of weeds
- After the first pull, if you'd like a monthly service, the cost is $30 each month regardless of the original size project cost
- I am only able to work weekends and holidays right now, so there may be a wait (crossing my fingers!)
- I love this work so you won't hear any complaining.
- I am not a plant specialist so if you have weird plants, I'll need them pointed out so I am not mistaking them for weeds. I'm also not stupid...I just want to be sure for your weird plant's sake and mine.
- Bugs and critters scare me so I may, from time to time, hop up and flail around your yard, or scream. But I will get back to the job when I get over it.
- I am only offering weed pulling services to start because I know NO one wants to do that. And it can be a huge hopeless project to do the first time but the visual improvement and the bed health benefits are so great that it might hopefully break the barrier for a DIY home landscaping project you yourself have been daydreaming about!
| Closed on 06/20/13 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
17 Fans 
12%a. heh. weeds.
6%b. sounds awful. good luck with that.
6%c. you should add...
6%d. you should take out...
6%e. you should amend...
12%f. there may be a loophole with...
35%g. don't forget your sunscreen!
18%h. heh. beans.

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#8 | 335 days ago

You can pull my weed!  Its a small job. 
  
27 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 335 days ago

you can condense some of this, I would start with excluding " im not stupid" IMO but other than that it seems to be ok - good luck but beware of the jealous housewives
you should take out...  
#2 | 335 days ago

(Edited by kobe_lova)
ain't nobody gon' read all that unless it's served with a cheeseburger and a beer.

**I read all that cause i heart you, but if you were almost anyone else, no.
sounds awful. good luck with that.  
#3 | 335 days ago

yes are you going to do flyers? In my mind they are multicolored, like spring!
don't forget your sunscreen!  
#4 | 335 days ago

Leigh- be aware you are going to get a lot of competiton from a certain group blush
you should take out...  
#5 | 335 days ago

he means ethnics
sounds awful. good luck with that.  
#6 | 335 days ago

(Edited by ms_hippie_queen)
JenX63 wrote:
yes are you going to do flyers? In my mind they are multicolored, like spring!
i am probably going to start with this on facebook cause i'd rather be pulling weeds of folks i know, but the announcement will be vivid!

sista - hearchoo. thanks for reading :)
sista pt. 2 - fart
#7 | 335 days ago

alainpeartree wrote:
Leigh- be aware you are going to get a lot of competiton from a certain group blush
i'm just weeding. i always have a low flying fear of lawnmowers blowing up, so if that happens, i want it to be in my yard only. the certain group can keep the yucky work!
#8 | 335 days ago

You can pull my weed!  Its a small job. 
#9 | 335 days ago

Jason_ wrote:
You can pull my weed!  Its a small job. 
first of all, ew.
secondly, small jobs cost $30.
#10 | 335 days ago

Hmm, this sounds interesting. If you need any Mar-Comm, graphic, sell sheets, etc. stuff done I'm you're guy.

I like Flower Child, Lawn & Order, some kind of D.E.A. play on words vis-a-vis weeds (You could post pics in a Craigslist ad with all the bags of weed you pulled [seized], maybe wear a silly little flower badge?...Ha! Good, cheap campaign with some local, viral potential.)

Play up the NO chemical part (brilliant!), it's a good selling point. Throw out some facts about young children, pets, blah blah blah - you get to the "root of the problem."

Maybe work on the recurring pricing? $5 next week or $30 a month may be a little low, but I don't know enough about the process? If it's more than an hour you could only be breaking even or losing money when you factor in travel, disposal, supplies etc.
heh. beans.  
#11 | 335 days ago

marcus_nyce wrote:
Hmm, this sounds interesting. If you need any Mar-Comm, graphic, sell sheets, etc. stuff done I'm you're guy.

I like Flower Child, Lawn & Order, some kind of D.E.A. play on words vis-a-vis weeds (You could post pics in a Craigslist ad with all the bags of weed you pulled [seized], maybe wear a silly little flower badge?...Ha! Good, cheap campaign with some local, viral potential.)

Play up the NO chemical part (brilliant!), it's a good selling point. Throw out some facts about young children, pets, blah blah blah - you get to the "root of the problem."

Maybe work on the recurring pricing? $5 next week or $30 a month may be a little low, but I don't know enough about the process? If it's more than an hour you could only be breaking even or losing money when you factor in travel, disposal, supplies etc.
LOL- now you got the theme song from "Weeds" playing in my head - little boxes, little boxes yes
you should take out...  
#12 | 335 days ago

good luck.   you need to have a  special price (MUCH HIGHER) for the douche bag  who wants  weeds pulled from  rock hard clay and gravel, and has no flowers.
you should add...  
#13 | 335 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
ain't nobody gon' read all that unless it's served with a cheeseburger and a beer.

**I read all that cause i heart you, but if you were almost anyone else, no.
Ashlie, seeing as how you are a fine southern lady I must ask you if  proper use of Y'ALL was used in the title of this poll.  I thought that when addressing more than one person (which this poll does) the proper way would have been  "ALL Y'ALL".  please clarify for a northern boy.  thank you soooooooo  much.
you should add...  
#14 | 335 days ago

I'll hire you. You have to supply your own transportation though.
heh. weeds.  
#15 | 335 days ago

marcus_nyce wrote:
Hmm, this sounds interesting. If you need any Mar-Comm, graphic, sell sheets, etc. stuff done I'm you're guy.

I like Flower Child, Lawn & Order, some kind of D.E.A. play on words vis-a-vis weeds (You could post pics in a Craigslist ad with all the bags of weed you pulled [seized], maybe wear a silly little flower badge?...Ha! Good, cheap campaign with some local, viral potential.)

Play up the NO chemical part (brilliant!), it's a good selling point. Throw out some facts about young children, pets, blah blah blah - you get to the "root of the problem."

Maybe work on the recurring pricing? $5 next week or $30 a month may be a little low, but I don't know enough about the process? If it's more than an hour you could only be breaking even or losing money when you factor in travel, disposal, supplies etc.
oh you'd be so hired. i'd need a t-shirt for sure. tank top. i don't think i've ever typed tank top before. interesting.

the entire pricing thing is bendy right now. i love the idea of making people feel they can get 50% off right off the bat. and i am probably seriously low-balling myself. i am starting super low because it's not money i need to depend on, just extra cash for doing something i dig for people i know. if it starts getting evenish, i'll bump up the prices and if the masses don't like it, they can fire me.

this is half of my personal stash:
#16 | 335 days ago

(Edited by kobe_lova)
WISAC1 wrote:
Ashlie, seeing as how you are a fine southern lady I must ask you if  proper use of Y'ALL was used in the title of this poll.  I thought that when addressing more than one person (which this poll does) the proper way would have been  "ALL Y'ALL".  please clarify for a northern boy.  thank you soooooooo  much.
Of course "y'all" is acceptable. She is using the proper tense (professional). I would have said "all y'all" mahself.... but I'll say that if it's just 3 people.
sounds awful. good luck with that.  
#17 | 335 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
oh you'd be so hired. i'd need a t-shirt for sure. tank top. i don't think i've ever typed tank top before. interesting.

the entire pricing thing is bendy right now. i love the idea of making people feel they can get 50% off right off the bat. and i am probably seriously low-balling myself. i am starting super low because it's not money i need to depend on, just extra cash for doing something i dig for people i know. if it starts getting evenish, i'll bump up the prices and if the masses don't like it, they can fire me.

this is half of my personal stash:
Start with the bumped up prices and offer "introductory" discounts (indefinitely) as an opening price point so you can *raise* the prices in the future without it actually being just a price hike for the same services. maybe also break it down by front & back yard. So the pitch is "Weed service starting as LOW as $X!" ... but it's only one half of the yard. The switch is for the whole property, which if you act now is ONLY $X. That's a Y% savings!

Voila.
heh. beans.  
#18 | 335 days ago

(Edited by Nick__)
You had me at WEEDing!

I like your business/fundraising plan!

Now, if you will do it in a bikini and have someone video it and send it to me, I would help donate some $$ to your cause  cool

PERV!
heh. weeds.  
#19 | 335 days ago

Where were you when my brother and I had to help pull weeds on a 3/4 acre lot years back?  (Though, doing the math, I think you may have been little help, what with having recently been born.)

For disposal, are you hauling it away, or are you bagging as necessary and leaving on curb for garbage pick-up?   If the last option, especially for large jobs, are you providing the case of beer as a tip for the garbage collectors?
#20 | 335 days ago

Oddfool wrote:
Where were you when my brother and I had to help pull weeds on a 3/4 acre lot years back?  (Though, doing the math, I think you may have been little help, what with having recently been born.)

For disposal, are you hauling it away, or are you bagging as necessary and leaving on curb for garbage pick-up?   If the last option, especially for large jobs, are you providing the case of beer as a tip for the garbage collectors?
ooo! i'll bag it and leave it on the curb. i forgot to take out the "disposal" part. i don't leave beer, but i leave nice notes that say "this is heavy and not a body."
#21 | 335 days ago

awesome hun, good luck!  I also agree with that is is lengthy but worth the read cause it's cute.  FB or on a big flyer.

Most people are going to want to know right off the bat how much it's going to cost.  looking at your prices I wouldn't know what I am being charged.  so maybe say free estimates and then my jobs cost anywhere from 30-60 depending on the amount of weeds and terrain.

also don't say you'll dispose of the weeds yet, depending on what you're going to do with them compost sites might charge you.  You don't want to have to pay and lose money on the deal.

I would so hire you and get it half off cause we'd be hanging out in my yard all day.  I'd still pay you full price.
don't forget your sunscreen!  
#22 | 334 days ago

My neighbour burns his weeds. Problem is he keeps exhaling my way!angry
#23 | 334 days ago

I used to do this during college to let of stress now all i have is stress :)
Good initiative anyways
don't forget your sunscreen!  
#24 | 334 days ago

sports_schmorts wrote:
awesome hun, good luck!  I also agree with that is is lengthy but worth the read cause it's cute.  FB or on a big flyer.

Most people are going to want to know right off the bat how much it's going to cost.  looking at your prices I wouldn't know what I am being charged.  so maybe say free estimates and then my jobs cost anywhere from 30-60 depending on the amount of weeds and terrain.

also don't say you'll dispose of the weeds yet, depending on what you're going to do with them compost sites might charge you.  You don't want to have to pay and lose money on the deal.

I would so hire you and get it half off cause we'd be hanging out in my yard all day.  I'd still pay you full price.
girl, we would be weird all day long and it would be wonderful. i have a feeling we would come up with our own language before the job was done. and at least one of us would wet 'em.

thank you for the input!

oh and my brain just absorbed what all of y'all have been saying! i wouldn't put all this on an ad. this is just my outline for how i'd run stuff. i feel dumb now.
#25 | 334 days ago

hockey54 wrote:
My neighbour burns his weeds. Problem is he keeps exhaling my way!angry
oh, canada...
Oh stop it you.... FOLLOW ME ON TUMBLR andres-cordova.tumblr.com/.
#26 | 334 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
oh you'd be so hired. i'd need a t-shirt for sure. tank top. i don't think i've ever typed tank top before. interesting.

the entire pricing thing is bendy right now. i love the idea of making people feel they can get 50% off right off the bat. and i am probably seriously low-balling myself. i am starting super low because it's not money i need to depend on, just extra cash for doing something i dig for people i know. if it starts getting evenish, i'll bump up the prices and if the masses don't like it, they can fire me.

this is half of my personal stash:
I have the craziest feeling that as you are working in your yard, your neighbors might be dreaming of a little money maker themselves. Just a guess.

As for as your stash, it looks like it must be hell on your lungs.

It sounds like you may have more business than you can handle before it is over. That is a good thing. You need to charge more. And if I were you, I would definitely charge Jason at least 80 bucks. Wear gloves.
heh. beans.  
#27 | 334 days ago

Beaneaters wrote:
I have the craziest feeling that as you are working in your yard, your neighbors might be dreaming of a little money maker themselves. Just a guess.

As for as your stash, it looks like it must be hell on your lungs.

It sounds like you may have more business than you can handle before it is over. That is a good thing. You need to charge more. And if I were you, I would definitely charge Jason at least 80 bucks. Wear gloves.
i'm not cleaning up either.

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
F/E 4/18
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/18/14
8 opinions | 23 comments | Last by woody050681
Random Questions
Asked by Jess | Locker Room | 9 questions asked 04/16/14
117 opinions | 20 comments | Last by AlwaysSunshine
F/E 4/17
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/17/14
5 opinions | 10 comments | Last by woody050681
I Like to Watch
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 6 questions asked 04/16/14
84 opinions | 11 comments | Last by ima246
Pack your Bags!
Asked by Cali_Kat | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 04/16/14
7 opinions | 15 comments | Last by marcus_nyce