Skip to Next Poll »
9
Best Movie of 2013: Popcorn Bracket
As promised last year, it's time for the Best Movie of 2013 tournament, aka the Roger Ebert Memorial Tournament. Every year, people complain about the Oscar nominations not including enough "movies that people actually saw." This mistakes popularity for quality. Thus, this tournament includes ONLY the 64 highest grossing movies of 2013, per Box Office Mojo. The movies are ranked 1-64, and that determined the matchups (1 vs. 64, 2 vs. 63, etc.). That is the ONLY criteria for inclusion and seeding, so don't yell at me.
| Closed on 01/20/14 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
18 Fans 
 1. (1) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire vs. (16) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (0 points)
72%a. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
28%b. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
 2. (8) Pacific Rim vs. (9) This is the End (0 points)
50%a. Pacific Rim
50%b. This is the End
 3. (5) The Great Gatsby vs. (12) The Best Man Holiday (0 points)
61%a. The Great Gatsby
39%b. The Best Man Holiday
 4. (4) We're The Millers vs. (13) Saving Mr. Banks (0 points)
72%a. We're The Millers
28%b. Saving Mr. Banks
 5. (6) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 vs. (11) Turbo (0 points)
56%a. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
44%b. Turbo
 6. (3) Fast & Furious 6 vs. (14) Ender's Game (0 points)
72%a. Fast & Furious 6
28%b. Ender's Gane
 7. (7) Now You See Me vs. (10) Insidious Chapter 2 (0 points)
78%a. Now You See Me
22%b. Insidious Chapter 2
 8. (2) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug vs. (15) Prisoners (0 points)
44%a. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
56%b. Prisoners

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#7 | 177 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
i have seen none of these but hear me out:
Hey, I saw one movie in the tournament (Turbo, of course) and one other movie all year (Rush, of course), and I'm running this stupid thing!
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
  
19 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 179 days ago

For the record, Hunger Games is the overall #1 seed after grossing $414.4 million in 2013. That just beat out Iron Man 3, which pulled $409.0 million. Walter Mitty squeaked in at #64 with $53.2 million. Here are the next few out:

65. Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor ($51.9 million)
66. Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas ($51.9 million)

We had *two* chances for a Tyler Perry movie to get crushed and just missed out. Damn.

67. The Call ($51.8 million)
68. Pain and Gain ($49.8 million)

Other notables:

77. 12 Years a Slave ($39.0 million)
84. Blue Jasmine ($33.0 million)
93. Rush ($26.9 million)
118. Dallas Buyers Club ($16.7 million)
136. Before Midnight ($8.1 million)
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#2 | 179 days ago

Prisoners was good. I paid attention when I was watching it. Gripping stuff---Don't be careless with the kids.
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Great Gatsby  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
#3 | 178 days ago

I agreed with Teach.
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#4 | 178 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
I agreed with Teach.
I agree...
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#5 | 178 days ago

This Is The End wins this bracket.
#6 | 178 days ago

i have seen none of these but hear me out:
1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Ender's Gane  7. Now You See Me  8. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
#7 | 177 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
i have seen none of these but hear me out:
Hey, I saw one movie in the tournament (Turbo, of course) and one other movie all year (Rush, of course), and I'm running this stupid thing!
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#8 | 174 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
i have seen none of these but hear me out:
I will not hear you out, you're completely wrong! I've seen 1 of these. lol I based the rest on the commercials and my soon to view status.
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#9 | 174 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
I will not hear you out, you're completely wrong! I've seen 1 of these. lol I based the rest on the commercials and my soon to view status.
you're wrong and here's why:
1. walter mitty looks adorable and this could be stiller's best since "keeping the faith"
2. pacific rim sounds like a really gross sex thing and also i loved hot tub time machine
3. never even heard of best man holiday
4. this one is a tie so we're technically both right
5. i just can't bring myself to vote for something with a number in the title
6. ditto
7. this, gravity and walter mitty are the only movies i saw previews for this year and was like "gonna see it."
8. prisoners looked like it was shot in instagram and it annoyed me
1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Ender's Gane  7. Now You See Me  8. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
#10 | 174 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
you're wrong and here's why:
1. walter mitty looks adorable and this could be stiller's best since "keeping the faith"
2. pacific rim sounds like a really gross sex thing and also i loved hot tub time machine
3. never even heard of best man holiday
4. this one is a tie so we're technically both right
5. i just can't bring myself to vote for something with a number in the title
6. ditto
7. this, gravity and walter mitty are the only movies i saw previews for this year and was like "gonna see it."
8. prisoners looked like it was shot in instagram and it annoyed me
1. true, I actually could've gone either way on this one. But I saw  Hunger Games 1 and I couldn't remember anything from reading the secret life of walter mitty, so someone has to make the tough choices.
2. this is the one i saw! and i'm gonna watch it sober soon. idris and charlie day are in it...win.
3. i'm ashamed of you as my sista. gawd.
4. i dont want to see a movie about mary poppins not wanting to be mary poppins or w/e the eff. so wrong!
5. samuel l. jackson
6. i will punch you in the neck
7. gravity? mmkay.
8. what's prisoners? in my head, that's hugh jackman, so winner. but i can understand the choosing of the dragon as well.
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#11 | 174 days ago

kobe_lova wrote:
1. true, I actually could've gone either way on this one. But I saw  Hunger Games 1 and I couldn't remember anything from reading the secret life of walter mitty, so someone has to make the tough choices.
2. this is the one i saw! and i'm gonna watch it sober soon. idris and charlie day are in it...win.
3. i'm ashamed of you as my sista. gawd.
4. i dont want to see a movie about mary poppins not wanting to be mary poppins or w/e the eff. so wrong!
5. samuel l. jackson
6. i will punch you in the neck
7. gravity? mmkay.
8. what's prisoners? in my head, that's hugh jackman, so winner. but i can understand the choosing of the dragon as well.
2. are there aliens in it?
3. rude
4. i love mary poppins and mary poppins not wanting to be mary poppins and everything else mary poppins.
5. i just heard him say "it's the one that says baaaaad meatballf**ker."
6. i'll probably need a punch for each one i haven't seen
7. gravity.
8. it's the one with not mark ruffalo (or maybe mark ruffalo) and a winnebago.
1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Ender's Gane  7. Now You See Me  8. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
#12 | 174 days ago

ms_hippie_queen wrote:
2. are there aliens in it?
3. rude
4. i love mary poppins and mary poppins not wanting to be mary poppins and everything else mary poppins.
5. i just heard him say "it's the one that says baaaaad meatballf**ker."
6. i'll probably need a punch for each one i haven't seen
7. gravity.
8. it's the one with not mark ruffalo (or maybe mark ruffalo) and a winnebago.
2. yes. they may be aliens, idk
3. well, see Best Man then Best Man Holiday.
4. hmm, i see
5. lmao, then you've seen it!
6. cept 4, no one needs to see that.
7. no
8. uhh, little miss sunshine?
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#13 | 174 days ago

Good lord...you both ride the short bus.
#14 | 174 days ago

God this is making my head hurt.
Prisoners stars Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhall, Paul Dano, Maria Bello and Melissa Leo

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#15 | 174 days ago

(Edited by kobe_lova)
that's what i thought! i'm gonna see that. why am i on the short bus?

which one is not mark ruffalo to you? not mark ruffalo to me is paul rudd.

wait! there's no winnebago in that picture.... hmm
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#16 | 174 days ago

(Edited by ms_hippie_queen)
kobe_lova wrote:
that's what i thought! i'm gonna see that. why am i on the short bus?

which one is not mark ruffalo to you? not mark ruffalo to me is paul rudd.

wait! there's no winnebago in that picture.... hmm
he is definitely not mark ruffalo. the guy from new girl is also not mark ruffalo. and in prisoners, both hugh jackman and not spiderman are not mark ruffalo.
1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Ender's Gane  7. Now You See Me  8. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  
#17 | 174 days ago

(Edited by kobe_lova)
ms_hippie_queen wrote:
he is definitely not mark ruffalo. the guy from new girl is also not mark ruffalo. and in prisoners, both hugh jackman and not spiderman are not mark ruffalo.
ohhhh, hmm. neither of those are not mark ruffalo, nor nick, eww. i'll stick with mr. banana hammock!
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. Pacific Rim  3. The Best Man Holiday  4. We're The Millers  5. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#18 | 174 days ago

BTW, I just decided what the tiebreaker will be. I will randomly pick a number and that person's response for that matchup will be declared the winner. Fair? No, but *bleep* it.
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  
#19 | 174 days ago

I pulled #7 at random, which means Dream_Machine is the decider, and thus Pacific Rim advances.
1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2. This is the End  3. The Great Gatsby  4. Saving Mr. Banks  5. Turbo  6. Fast & Furious 6  7. Now You See Me  8. Prisoners  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
Happy Birthday to a Best Coaster Teachest aka Becky!
Asked by Beaneaters | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Today
10 opinions | 8 comments | Last by Cali_Kat
F/E 7/11
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 07/11/14
9 opinions | 34 comments | Last by woody050681
F/E 7/10
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 07/10/14
11 opinions | 22 comments | Last by AlwaysSunshine
F/E 7/9
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 07/09/14
11 opinions | 31 comments | Last by woody050681
F/E 7/8
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 07/08/14
8 opinions | 38 comments | Last by JenX63