Skip to Next Poll »
21
Should players/musicians/actors get involved in politics?
Read the Article: Elway says McCain poised for comeback, needs a field goal

From athletes to musicians to actors/actresses - they all feel that they should promote their choices in the Presidential Election.  How do you feel? 
| Closed on 11/05/08 at 11:45PM
FanIQ Pts? No | NFL | Multiple Choice Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
45 Fans 
7%a. They should stick to their chosen professions
60%b. Of course they have a right to voice their opinions
18%c. Their opinion means squat to me
2%d. They have no clue what they are talking about anyways
2%e. Famous people's input helps political parties get elected
7%f. Who cares
0%g. Depends if they are backing my political party
4%h. Other

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#7 | 2154 days ago

Every idiot has a right to their opinion.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
  
25 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 2154 days ago

Eh, I really don't care. Its not like they can't make the transition.  Ronald Reagan was an actor and he become president. 
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#2 | 2154 days ago

Absolutely...they are a part of our society...and people actually value their opinions...unfortunately some shouldn't be valued at all
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#3 | 2154 days ago

It doesn't really matter what your profession is.  If you want to run for a political office, nobody is stopping you from doing so.  It doesn't mean you'll win, but don't let anyone stop you from running.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#4 | 2154 days ago

Of course they have the right---just like I have the right to promote my choice. This is the United States of America!
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#5 | 2154 days ago

They have the right to say whatever they want. It's the idiots who actually LISTEN to an actor or an athlete that we should be worried about. They're not in that profession because of their brains... that's all I'm gonna say.
Their opinion means squat to me  
#6 | 2154 days ago

Only players know what they are talking about.  Musicians and actors are on some kind of steriods.
They have no clue what they are talking about anyways  
#7 | 2154 days ago

Every idiot has a right to their opinion.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#8 | 2153 days ago

Have we forgotten that some of these people actually got quality educations and went on to make contributions in the political arena.  Three who come quickly to mind are Bill Bradley, Steve Largent and J. C. Watts.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#9 | 2153 days ago

I wish they would have allowed us to select more then one answer. If so, I would have selected
B. Of course, They have a right to voice their opinion
                                   and
C. Their opinion means squat to me.

Famous people do have an advantage when stating their political preference because of their ability to reach a large audience through media or personal appearances, and sometimes I agree with them. In most cases, I take their opinion with a grain of salt. After all, I don't put much value into the political opinion of someone who dresses up in cone bra's, shaves their head after leaving rehab, or invites kid's to spend the night at their ranch!



Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#10 | 2153 days ago

The three examples i used were chosen with the common trait that all three served as elected representatives...Largent and watts in the U.S. house of Representatives; and of Bill Bradley holds the distinction of being a former U.S. senator from the state of New Jerseyas well as a former Rhodes Scholar.  Not exactly your typical ex-jock.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#11 | 2153 days ago
vindog (+)

Helen wrote:
Every idiot has a right to their opinion.
and Ronald Reagan had his right as well....   Funny how a "celebrity" today can speak out and be ridiculed for being an "elitist" but this Country actually elected one of these "Elitists" as their President- TWICE!!!!  So who are the idiots????
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#12 | 2153 days ago
vindog (+)

Pat wrote:
They have the right to say whatever they want. It's the idiots who actually LISTEN to an actor or an athlete that we should be worried about. They're not in that profession because of their brains... that's all I'm gonna say.
So are you an IDIOT for saying that Ronald Reagan was the GREATEST President in our history???? You know, some of these "Celebrities" are actually very political savvy and intelligent and would probably make an outstanding President- just as you claim Reagan was..... that's all I'm going to say...
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#13 | 2153 days ago

vindog wrote:
and Ronald Reagan had his right as well....   Funny how a "celebrity" today can speak out and be ridiculed for being an "elitist" but this Country actually elected one of these "Elitists" as their President- TWICE!!!!  So who are the idiots????
We're all idiots in our own way
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#14 | 2153 days ago

vindog wrote:
So are you an IDIOT for saying that Ronald Reagan was the GREATEST President in our history???? You know, some of these "Celebrities" are actually very political savvy and intelligent and would probably make an outstanding President- just as you claim Reagan was..... that's all I'm going to say...
Excuse me... did I say all actors were politically inept? No.

My point is... actors and athletes have a public forum that the average person does not have. They have the ability to reach far more people than you or I ever could. However, that doesn't mean they are smarter than you or I am. The fact that they are an actor or an athlete does not make their opinion better than anyone else's.

My opinions on Reagan are based on his political policies and achievements, and have absolutely nothing to do with his acting career. I would have thought that someone like yourself would have understood what I meant, but apparently I had to spell it out. How unfortunate.
Their opinion means squat to me  
#15 | 2153 days ago
vindog (+)

Pat wrote:
Excuse me... did I say all actors were politically inept? No.

My point is... actors and athletes have a public forum that the average person does not have. They have the ability to reach far more people than you or I ever could. However, that doesn't mean they are smarter than you or I am. The fact that they are an actor or an athlete does not make their opinion better than anyone else's.

My opinions on Reagan are based on his political policies and achievements, and have absolutely nothing to do with his acting career. I would have thought that someone like yourself would have understood what I meant, but apparently I had to spell it out. How unfortunate.
I understand what you were saying but I was pointing out that not ALL celebrities were idiots. Reagan was just an example of this. BTW before Reagan was a President, he was also the Governor of California and the President of the Actors Guild before that. So, in a sense, he was a NOBODY (just an actor with a voice) before he got involved in politics and really had no support except for those who loved him for his ACTING! My point is that, the Right (politically) keeps calling these people "Elitists", but in all actuality- some of them are very politically involved and probably more knowledgeable than most of the elected officials that currently hold offices. If you read your post again, you said that its the " Idiots that actually LISTEN to an actor or athlete that we should worry about"- implying (in my opinion of your post) that Actors and Athletes are idiots as are those that listen to them.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#16 | 2153 days ago

I was making a point about the stereotype about "dumb jocks" with the above mentioned examples of athletes who served the nation in D.C.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#17 | 2153 days ago

vindog wrote:
I understand what you were saying but I was pointing out that not ALL celebrities were idiots. Reagan was just an example of this. BTW before Reagan was a President, he was also the Governor of California and the President of the Actors Guild before that. So, in a sense, he was a NOBODY (just an actor with a voice) before he got involved in politics and really had no support except for those who loved him for his ACTING! My point is that, the Right (politically) keeps calling these people "Elitists", but in all actuality- some of them are very politically involved and probably more knowledgeable than most of the elected officials that currently hold offices. If you read your post again, you said that its the " Idiots that actually LISTEN to an actor or athlete that we should worry about"- implying (in my opinion of your post) that Actors and Athletes are idiots as are those that listen to them.
Ugh... maybe I should have been more specific.

It's the idiots who hold athlete and actor opinions higher than other people simply because they're an athlete of actor, that we need to worry about.

Stop wasting my time, Vinnie, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Their opinion means squat to me  
#18 | 2153 days ago
vindog (+)

Pat wrote:
Ugh... maybe I should have been more specific.

It's the idiots who hold athlete and actor opinions higher than other people simply because they're an athlete of actor, that we need to worry about.

Stop wasting my time, Vinnie, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Actually if I KNEW what you were talking about- I wouldn't have made a comment on it!!!! And if I'm wasting your precious time- then quit responding to me- seems like you are the one wasting your own time. Why do always have to be such as a**hole about everything? It was a honest response to your self-proclaimed "unspecific" post!
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#19 | 2153 days ago

vindog wrote:
Actually if I KNEW what you were talking about- I wouldn't have made a comment on it!!!! And if I'm wasting your precious time- then quit responding to me- seems like you are the one wasting your own time. Why do always have to be such as a**hole about everything? It was a honest response to your self-proclaimed "unspecific" post!
Dude... you insinuated that Reagan supporters were idiots.

I felt that my comment was simple enough, and it would appear that most other people got my point.
Their opinion means squat to me  
#20 | 2153 days ago
vindog (+)

(Edited by vindog)
Pat wrote:
Dude... you insinuated that Reagan supporters were idiots.

I felt that my comment was simple enough, and it would appear that most other people got my point.
NO I AM NOT insinuating that Reagan was an idiot (read the posts again), I personally think Reagan was a pretty decent President. I was, however, making a blanket statement that not ALL celebrities were idiots and ALL the people that listened to them were idiots as well like you put it in your post. I was using Reagan as an example of this.
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#21 | 2153 days ago

vindog wrote:
NO I AM NOT insinuating that Reagan was an idiot (read the posts again), I personally think Reagan was a pretty decent President. I was, however, making a blanket statement that not ALL celebrities were idiots and ALL the people that listened to them were idiots as well like you put it in your post. I was using Reagan as an example of this.
Ok. Allow me to clarify.

Anyone who listens to a celebrity and holds their opinion higher than any other average person JUST because they are a celebrity is an idiot.
Their opinion means squat to me  
#22 | 2153 days ago
vindog (+)

Pat wrote:
Ok. Allow me to clarify.

Anyone who listens to a celebrity and holds their opinion higher than any other average person JUST because they are a celebrity is an idiot.
fair enough
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#23 | 2152 days ago
SWDfisher48 (+)

            I expect them to, I even encourage them to, What friggin sucks is when they lead a campaign of slander, acting as a Pied Piper of blind followers, that are star struck over their Star status.  As long as Stars of any profession lead in a way that honors the political process, then more power to them.  

            And it don't matter which party they support, they just need to stick to the issues with no name calling or slander.  We reserve that right!!!  LMBO


Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#24 | 2144 days ago

They have the right to express their opinions, and they have a chance to influence people of weak mental fortitude.  I, on the other hand, could not care less what any celebrity says.  And neither should you ;)
Of course they have a right to voice their opinions  
#25 | 2143 days ago

It really doesn't matter to me who endorses who, it won't sway my vote one way or another... I mean, unless it 's Chuck Norris...

Who cares  

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
NFL***Pick-Em***Week 3***Pt.2
Asked by Michael_G | NFL, SF, IND | 8 questions asked 09/14/14
64 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve
NFL**Pick-Em**Week 3**pt. 1
Asked by Michael_G | NFL, IND, SF | 8 questions asked 09/14/14
64 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve
Rank the NFC North Scoring Leaders Week#3 9/21-22/2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | NFL, NFC North, DET | 4 questions asked 09/14/14
16 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve
Rank the AFC East Scoring Leaders Week #3 9/21-22 /2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | NFL, AFC East, BUF | 4 questions asked 09/14/14
16 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve
Rank the NFC West Scoring Leaders Week #3 9/21/2014
Asked by maroon&gold4eve | NFL, NFC West, ARI | 4 questions asked 09/14/14
16 predictions | Last by maroon&gold4eve