Skip to Next Poll »
16
Rank the rest of the Welterweight Division
The UFC’s Welterweight Division is completed dominated by GSP. After him, how would you rank the next ten in the division? I left off Karo Parisyan due to his steroid suspension and Dustin Hazelett due to his ACL injury. Swick and Kampmann will fight at UFC 103 to determine the top contender for GSP. Here’s a list with recent match results in no particular order:
Martin Kampmann – def. Condit (Split Dec.), def. Barros (TKO); loss to Marquardt (TKO) at Middleweight
Marcus Davis – loss to Hardy (Split Dec.); def. Lytle (Split Dec.), def. Kelly (Sub.); loss to Swick (Dec.)
Dong Hyun Kim – def. Grant (Dec.), NC with Parisyan, def. Brown (Split Dec.)
Chris Lytle – def. Burns (Dec.), loss to Davis (Split Dec.), def. Taylor (Dec.), loss to Koscheck (Dec.)
Paulo Thiago – loss to Fitch (Dec.), def. Koscheck (TKO), def. Dutra (TKO)
Thiago Alves – loss to St.-Pierre (Dec.); def. Koscheck (Dec.), def. Hughes (TKO), def. Parisyan (TKO), def. Lytle (TKO)
Mike Swick – def. Saunders (TKO), def. Goulet (TKO), def. Davis (Dec.)
Dan Hardy – def. Davis (Split Dec.), def. Markham (KO), def. Gono (Split Dec.)
Jon Fitch – def. Thiago (Dec.), def. Gono (Dec.); loss to St.-Pierre (Dec.)
Josh Koscheck – loss to Thiago (TKO), def. Yoshida (KO), loss to Alves (Dec.), def. Lytle (Dec.)
Featured by: Raider_Dave at 7/17/09 12:14PM
| Closed on 08/16/09 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | MMA | Opinion List
Teams:  Thiago Alves | Marcus Davis | Jon Fitch | Martin Kampmann | Josh Koscheck | Chris Lytle | Georges St-Pierre | Mike Swick | Dan Hardy
Team Breakout:
Rank31 FansAvg (1st)
1.Thiago Alves7.8 (10)
2.Jon Fitch7.3 (8)
3.Mike Swick7.2 (3)
4.Martin Kampmann6.5 (3)
5.Josh Koscheck5.4 (1)
6.Dan Hardy4.9 (2)
7.Paulo Thiago4.5 (1)
8.Marcus Davis4.3 (1)
9.Chris Lytle4.1 (2)
10.Dong Hyun Kim3.3 (1)

  
4 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1834 days ago

I think there's no doubt that the weight class is "GSP and whoever else,"  but Jon Fitch is definitely the most talented all-around guy after that.  The guy just goes out and wins, and puts up a great fight in the process.  He gave GSP 5 rounds, and they were 5 rounds that were better than the 5 Alves gave.  The only reason Fitch isn't in the discussion at the moment is because Dana White still feels slighted by Fitch's dissatisfaction with signing the video game contract.  Hopefully White's panties become unbunched, because Fitch is probably the only guy who stands a chance at even giving GSP a challenge here.  Marty Kampann is a little behind the pack, but in the discussion.
1. Jon Fitch  2. Martin Kampmann  3. Thiago Alves  4. Mike Swick  5. Josh Koscheck  6. Dan Hardy  7. Chris Lytle  8. Marcus Davis  9. Paulo Thiago  10. Dong Hyun Kim  
#2 | 1834 days ago

Raider_Dave wrote:
I think there's no doubt that the weight class is "GSP and whoever else,"  but Jon Fitch is definitely the most talented all-around guy after that.  The guy just goes out and wins, and puts up a great fight in the process.  He gave GSP 5 rounds, and they were 5 rounds that were better than the 5 Alves gave.  The only reason Fitch isn't in the discussion at the moment is because Dana White still feels slighted by Fitch's dissatisfaction with signing the video game contract.  Hopefully White's panties become unbunched, because Fitch is probably the only guy who stands a chance at even giving GSP a challenge here.  Marty Kampann is a little behind the pack, but in the discussion.
I agree with your assessment of Kampmann. I think Swick could be mentioned high, but he just doesn't have any big wins but could if he beats Marty. Dan Hardy could be moving up the line too if he can pull off a win outside of "in England by decision" which of course Bisping was famous for.
#3 | 1834 days ago

thevandal1 wrote:
I agree with your assessment of Kampmann. I think Swick could be mentioned high, but he just doesn't have any big wins but could if he beats Marty. Dan Hardy could be moving up the line too if he can pull off a win outside of "in England by decision" which of course Bisping was famous for.
I agree on Hardy, but  feel like Marcus Davis would need to be included to, since they basically are even guys, and the last fight could've gone either way. 

And I agree on Swick too.  He has the speed, kickboxing, and takedown defense to throw GSP off if he had a chance, but I don't think his resume is quite good enough right now.  But also as you said, if he beat Marty, that would be big for him.  Kampmann has the heavy hands and submission skills to give GSP a good fight too, and is a fairly long fighter for the Welterweight division.  Both Swick & Kampmann are big guys in the Welterweight division, having dropped down from Middleweight to find great success.  Either one who is able to come out of that match and take on GSP will be able to put up a respectable showing. 

I still think Fitch deserves it the most, and it would have to be bittersweet for him to see Swick get the opportunity, as they both train together.
1. Jon Fitch  2. Martin Kampmann  3. Thiago Alves  4. Mike Swick  5. Josh Koscheck  6. Dan Hardy  7. Chris Lytle  8. Marcus Davis  9. Paulo Thiago  10. Dong Hyun Kim  
#4 | 1834 days ago

Raider_Dave wrote:
I agree on Hardy, but  feel like Marcus Davis would need to be included to, since they basically are even guys, and the last fight could've gone either way. 

And I agree on Swick too.  He has the speed, kickboxing, and takedown defense to throw GSP off if he had a chance, but I don't think his resume is quite good enough right now.  But also as you said, if he beat Marty, that would be big for him.  Kampmann has the heavy hands and submission skills to give GSP a good fight too, and is a fairly long fighter for the Welterweight division.  Both Swick & Kampmann are big guys in the Welterweight division, having dropped down from Middleweight to find great success.  Either one who is able to come out of that match and take on GSP will be able to put up a respectable showing. 

I still think Fitch deserves it the most, and it would have to be bittersweet for him to see Swick get the opportunity, as they both train together.
Kampmann reminds me of a smaller Nate Marquardt without the devastating KO power.

Yeah I like Marcus Davis too and would love to see a rematch with Hardy not in the UK. Fitch really is maybe the most underrated UFC fighter. He gets no press whatsoever. He just wins solidly and not highlight real-esque. It seems like all the guys from AKA are suffering the aftermath of the video game disaster. It's a real shame that White can put Cro Cop stabbing him in the back and get over it quickly, but punishes the AKA team still. Seems like a mediocre heavyweight shouldn't carry the same weight as their whole team.

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends