Skip to Next Poll »
17
who Is the best red sox player ever
this Is in your opinion
| Closed on 02/22/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | MLB, Boston Red Sox | Numeric Input Opinion Poll
Team Breakout:
20 Fans
Question
25.6841. who Is the best red sox player ever

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 1848 days ago

Ted Williams
1  
  
48 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1848 days ago

Ted Williams
1  
#2 | 1848 days ago

qtowndogg wrote:
Ted Williams
 I think so too
#3 | 1848 days ago
redgti (+)

Williams was great and all, but what about Babe Ruth?
3  
#4 | 1848 days ago

Ruth is a Yankee, not a Red Sox or a Braves player. 

The correct answer is Williams.  As a non Red Sox fan my favorite Sox player ever was Yastrzemski.
1  
#5 | 1848 days ago

qtowndogg wrote:
Ted Williams
yup
!
#6 | 1848 days ago

Teddy Ballgame
#7 | 1847 days ago

qtowndogg wrote:
Ted Williams
hi how are you with your soccer?....i know you really love it
#8 | 1845 days ago
carlalbert64 (+)

 Ted Williams... is there any question?
#9 | 1844 days ago

ApopCane wrote:
Ruth is a Yankee, not a Red Sox or a Braves player. 

The correct answer is Williams.  As a non Red Sox fan my favorite Sox player ever was Yastrzemski.
um ApopCane the Yanks babe from the Sox's 
#10 | 1843 days ago

Um....  How about

DENTON   TRUE   YOUNG.

Better known to most as "Cy".
#11 | 1842 days ago

sweetage6 wrote:
um ApopCane the Yanks babe from the Sox's 
True,  but he is associated with the Yankees. He played for The Sox from 1914-1919, then from 20-34 he was in NY.
1  
#12 | 1842 days ago
jasonwrites (+)

Unquestionably Ted Williams.
42  
#13 | 1842 days ago

Walt Dropo
#14 | 1842 days ago

Ted Williams - my favorite was Yaz.  Best pitcher was Pedro.
#15 | 1842 days ago

Yaz and Tiant..What a combo!!
#16 | 1842 days ago

I find it interesting that so many people think the best Red Sox pitcher was 7 year Red Sox Pedro Martinez.  I guess they have no idea that the award that goes to the best pitcher each year is named after a pretty darn good pitcher who pitched 8 seasons for the Red Sox.
#17 | 1841 days ago

carl yaz and fred lynn

#18 | 1841 days ago
Anthonyg7575 (+)

(Edited by Anthonyg7575)
ML31 wrote:
I find it interesting that so many people think the best Red Sox pitcher was 7 year Red Sox Pedro Martinez.  I guess they have no idea that the award that goes to the best pitcher each year is named after a pretty darn good pitcher who pitched 8 seasons for the Red Sox.
Just because he has an award doesn't mean that he was the best pitcher for Boston....He pitched in era where pitching dominated over the hitters. Let's look at the lines, shall we?:

Pedro 7 seasons:
117-37 .760 win% 2.52 ERA 1683k's in 1383 innings...203 games

Cy 8 seasons
192-112 .632 win% 2.00 ERA 1741k's in 2728 innings...327 games

Pedro dominated the s*** out of Cy Young.....I don't even care that the ERA was 1/2 a run higher....Pedro pitched when the league ERA avg 4.65. During Cy's time it was 3.00......
69  
#19 | 1841 days ago

Anthonyg7575 wrote:
Just because he has an award doesn't mean that he was the best pitcher for Boston....He pitched in era where pitching dominated over the hitters. Let's look at the lines, shall we?:

Pedro 7 seasons:
117-37 .760 win% 2.52 ERA 1683k's in 1383 innings...203 games

Cy 8 seasons
192-112 .632 win% 2.00 ERA 1741k's in 2728 innings...327 games

Pedro dominated the s*** out of Cy Young.....I don't even care that the ERA was 1/2 a run higher....Pedro pitched when the league ERA avg 4.65. During Cy's time it was 3.00......
Sorry.  Those numbers show Cy Young pitched circles around Pedro.  What could you be smoking to think otherwise?
#20 | 1841 days ago

(Edited by mikeyintheoc)

Babe Ruth.    

#21 | 1840 days ago

mikeyintheoc wrote:

Babe Ruth.    

Even Babe Ruth was a better pitcher than Pedro.
#22 | 1840 days ago
Anthonyg7575 (+)

ML31 wrote:
Sorry.  Those numbers show Cy Young pitched circles around Pedro.  What could you be smoking to think otherwise?
Um no.....what number aside from ERA was Cy Young better? Don't say wins, because the amount of games is unbalanced, look at the winning percentage, look at the times they played....no matter what you say, the facts are there, you are not right on this one.
69  
#23 | 1840 days ago

Hitting:
1- Ted WIlliams
2- Carl Yastrzemski
3- Manny Ramirez

Pitching-
1- Roger Clemens
2- Pedro Martinez
3- Cy Young

Both-
Babe Ruth
52  
#24 | 1840 days ago
sweetgirl5398 (+)

TED WILLIAMS AND DAVID ORTIZ
100  
#25 | 1840 days ago

Without a doubt!  The Ted Williams "the Splendid Splinter" last player to hit .400 and considering his military leave, arguabley one of  the best player toever play the game PERIOD!!!!
#26 | 1839 days ago

Anthonyg7575 wrote:
Um no.....what number aside from ERA was Cy Young better? Don't say wins, because the amount of games is unbalanced, look at the winning percentage, look at the times they played....no matter what you say, the facts are there, you are not right on this one.
Wrong.  Cy Young pitched more seasons, more games, had more starts, more complete games, more shutouts, more wins, lower ERA, fewer walks/9 innings, had a lower whip and had a major pitching award named after him.

Advantage....  Cy.
#27 | 1839 days ago
Anthonyg7575 (+)

Yeah, in a time where the hitters were not as dominant....The avg AVG was less than .240 slugging percentages were barely over .300, the powerful hitting teams barely cracked 30 HR's (for the team)....I really don't need to go any further with this...anything else you try to say is just hot air.

69  
#28 | 1838 days ago

Anthonyg7575 wrote:

Yeah, in a time where the hitters were not as dominant....The avg AVG was less than .240 slugging percentages were barely over .300, the powerful hitting teams barely cracked 30 HR's (for the team)....I really don't need to go any further with this...anything else you try to say is just hot air.

And at a time when defense was pathetic and the equipment was pitiful. 

Just because he pitched in the dead ball era does not disqualify his fantastic achievements. 
You obviously have no firm grasp on the history of MLB.  
#29 | 1835 days ago
jacobmrley (+)

ML31 wrote:
And at a time when defense was pathetic and the equipment was pitiful. 

Just because he pitched in the dead ball era does not disqualify his fantastic achievements. 
You obviously have no firm grasp on the history of MLB.  
While both of you make interesting arguments for Pedro and Cy as pitchers, the best stat available to measure pitchers in different era is ERA+ which adjusts to league average for the time and for home field.  Cy Young, in 8 years in Boston, had an ERA+ of 147 (which means he was 47 % better than league average) a tremendous number.  Pedro has an ERA+ in 7 years in Boston, of 190, which is historically great.  It basically says Pedro was twice as good as any pitcher in the league during his time.  While no one can doubt the greatness of Cy Young, Pedro's time in Boston is just off the charts for how well he pitched against he competition he faced.  
9  
#30 | 1835 days ago
jacobmrley (+)

Oh, and Ted Williams is the greatest Sox Player ever, followed by Yaz and then Jimmie Foxx.
9  
#31 | 1835 days ago

jacobmrley wrote:
While both of you make interesting arguments for Pedro and Cy as pitchers, the best stat available to measure pitchers in different era is ERA+ which adjusts to league average for the time and for home field.  Cy Young, in 8 years in Boston, had an ERA+ of 147 (which means he was 47 % better than league average) a tremendous number.  Pedro has an ERA+ in 7 years in Boston, of 190, which is historically great.  It basically says Pedro was twice as good as any pitcher in the league during his time.  While no one can doubt the greatness of Cy Young, Pedro's time in Boston is just off the charts for how well he pitched against he competition he faced.  
When they change the pitching award from the "Cy Young Award" to the "Pedro Martinez Award"....  Then I will share your sentiment about him.
#32 | 1834 days ago
jacobmrley (+)

(Edited by jacobmrley)
ML31 wrote:
When they change the pitching award from the "Cy Young Award" to the "Pedro Martinez Award"....  Then I will share your sentiment about him.
I was just throwing my two cents in on the argument.  The man won 511 games for crying out loud so his overall record speaks for itself, but the better pitcher for the Red Sox was Pedro.  His seven year stretch with the Sox might be the best 7-year stretch any pitcher had for any team ever.
9  
#33 | 1834 days ago

jacobmrley wrote:
I was just throwing my two cents in on the argument.  The man won 511 games for crying out loud so his overall record speaks for itself, but the better pitcher for the Red Sox was Pedro.  His seven year stretch with the Sox might be the best 7-year stretch any pitcher had for any team ever.
I know you were simply throwing in your 2 cents.  I just thought responding the way I did could be mildly amusing.  

That's all.

BTW...  From what I read about the stat ERA+, it doesn't sound like all that worth while a stat.  It sounds good up front, but what it is trying to represent has some subjective elements to it.
#34 | 1825 days ago

jacobmrley wrote:
Oh, and Ted Williams is the greatest Sox Player ever, followed by Yaz and then Jimmie Foxx.

Ted Williams would have surpassed the Babe's numbers if he wasn't spending the prime of his career (5 years) in 2 wars.

Jimmy Foxx - The Sox need to do something to rehabilitate Jimmy Foxx, too few Sox fans seem to know him.
#35 | 1825 days ago

jjplynch wrote:

Ted Williams would have surpassed the Babe's numbers if he wasn't spending the prime of his career (5 years) in 2 wars.

Jimmy Foxx - The Sox need to do something to rehabilitate Jimmy Foxx, too few Sox fans seem to know him.
Maybe it's because he spent 11 seasons playing for the A's and only 7+ for the Red Sox.
#36 | 1824 days ago
jacobmrley (+)

ML31 wrote:
Maybe it's because he spent 11 seasons playing for the A's and only 7+ for the Red Sox.
not to mentioned he retired about 60+ years ago and died 40+ years ago.  hard to make the rounds and be seen from 6 feet underground.
9  
#37 | 1824 days ago

ML31 wrote:
Maybe it's because he spent 11 seasons playing for the A's and only 7+ for the Red Sox.
Well, I thought that goes without saying.
#38 | 1822 days ago

yaz
#39 | 1809 days ago

Ted Williams is the best Redsox player ever.  
9  
#40 | 1809 days ago

ML31 wrote:
Wrong.  Cy Young pitched more seasons, more games, had more starts, more complete games, more shutouts, more wins, lower ERA, fewer walks/9 innings, had a lower whip and had a major pitching award named after him.

Advantage....  Cy.
 Most people fail to realize that Pedro only pitched every 5th day whereas in Cy's day it was drastically different.  I couldn't agree with you more.  Cy Young is by far the better pitcher then Pedro ever was.
9  
#41 | 1809 days ago

Ted WIlliams
#42 | 1805 days ago
Pick (+)

Ted all the way.
#43 | 1798 days ago
vindog (+)

TED WILLIAMS- ENOUGH SAID!
77  
#44 | 1794 days ago

ApopCane wrote:
Ruth is a Yankee, not a Red Sox or a Braves player. 

The correct answer is Williams.  As a non Red Sox fan my favorite Sox player ever was Yastrzemski.
I agree with your answer,also like your photo.
#45 | 1792 days ago
BDV4U (+)

The Error
Bill Buckner!
7  
#46 | 1792 days ago

the yaz  could do it all and keep his head on
#47 | 1790 days ago

 Ted Williams
#48 | 1705 days ago

Ted Williams-and a great fisherman too-

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
MLB**Chasing Joe D**The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/22**World Series Game 2**
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, KC, SF | 3 questions asked 10/19/14
39 predictions | 1 comment | Last by cubfanbudman | 15 hours left
MLB**Chasing Joe D**The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/25**World Series Game 4**
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, KC, SF | 3 questions asked 10/19/14
30 predictions | 1 comment | Last by the_wolverine
MLB**Chasing Joe D**The FanIQ Hitting Streak**10/24**World Series Game 3**
Asked by Michael_G | MLB, KC, SF | 3 questions asked 10/19/14
33 predictions | 5 comments | Last by the_wolverine
Who are your heroes among zeroes (0/00)?
Asked by hclcdestin | MLB, FanIQ | 3 questions asked 08/03/14
18 opinions | 3 comments | Last by huskerdoug2009
Who's #1 among number ones?
Asked by hclcdestin | MLB | 3 questions asked 08/04/14
18 opinions | 1 comment | Last by LACavsFan