Skip to Next Poll »
56
Are we just virtual friends?
With the departure of Mooser, I was struck with the thought that all of us here at the Q, we share our thoughts, our opinions and sometimes our hearts with each other.  Moosher did that too.  Whereas in our everyday settings, people are afraid to go out.  Many of us don't even know our neighbors, or if we do it is just to wave hello when we find ourselves outside at the same time.  Did Mooser have it right?  In this world of texting, the internet, and virtual reality, have we developed a new way of bonding and supporting one another?  And, does that allow us, in the virtual world, to move on when the exchanges get boring, or we don't feel a connection at one time or another?  I am recently widowed.  I had to relocate to a state where I know no one.  I have found a place to reach out, share with others, and truly care about some of you.  Are we just virtual friends and nothing means anything as we share with one another?  Is this just a place to unload so that you can face life on lifes terms?  I reach out to many of you.  I try to encourage you and seek to be educated about your cultures.  Do you have feelings about this?  If so, please voice them within this poll.
Featured by: kramer at 10/11/09 9:55PM
| Closed on 01/11/10 at 05:00PM
FanIQ Pts? No | Locker Room, Personal | Numeric Input Opinion Poll
38 Fans
Question
309.6151. Are we just virtual friends?

 &nbp;
TOP COMMENT * * * * * * * * * * * *
#1 | 1817 days ago

First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
34  
  
66 Comments | Sorted by Most Recent First | Red = You Disagreed
Vote for your favorite comments. Fans decide the Top Comment (3+ votes) and also hide poor quality comments (4+ votes).
#1 | 1817 days ago

First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
34  
#2 | 1817 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
agree
#3 | 1817 days ago

 Thank you, it was really a nice and subtle experience of being consoled, being cared for, in the virtual world, for me, the knowledge that death is inevitable to all of us, is not new, have seen many of the beloved depart, leaving behind their memories of good work, but each one of you who shared their experience of grief, sorrows and cheered me up,  Lisa, susan, Francis , customer care, rita ghosh , sahitya, and many more, forgive me for my not being able to put all the names here, it does not matter, all of you have taken permanent place in my heart, reciprocated the love, care and concern for all in the Faniq, that is what matters, to give confidence back, reinforce the good of humans in society, even if it is virtual, it is great to feel of being the person as "belonged " to all of you, Love and regards.Being optimist, I always see the good in all actions.
59  
#4 | 1817 days ago

Great poll and i agree with jess 100%.   I have some of the best friends of my life on the internet.  You are here for me day or night and that is whats great.  I find it is too easy for so call friends in real life to  spread rumors if you spill your heart to them.  The internet is the greatest thing for senior citizens.   I want to thank all of you for sharing yourselfs with me and keeping me young.  lol
11  
#5 | 1817 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
Jess, hope you have accepted my apologies and again my sincere thanks to you and Terry for making me learn the good word. :-D
59  
#6 | 1817 days ago
AndiLee0388 (+)

(Edited by AndiLee0388)
Awesome poll!

I have been inspired, disappointed, angered, amused, overwhelmed and loved, all by people I have come in contact with on line.
Like anything in life, you have good and bad. It is making sure to keep things in the proper perspective, that makes a difference.
I am no different on line than I am in person. I do find that it does allow others to be more open, but have also found at times, it allows people to create a persona that they wish they were, but in reality, aren't!

I have met some lifelong friends on line, and we have met in person, and see each other several times a year.
I don't know a lot of people in Daytona, and I don't like to carouse the bars alone, and with work, I really don't get out much.
I have friend all over the US, that come to visit me, and I them, making Daytona a great home base.
I pretty much can tell, who I want to know better, and who I don't. Hopefully, those people feel the same, and we do meet, and it is great. But if not, no harm, no foul.

Moral of my story: I take the best of of being on line, and leave the rest!

Have I mentioned I love the Q? What a wonderful , diverse world of people at my fingertips!
3  
#7 | 1817 days ago

(Edited by janet011685)
I think online friends are very similar to friends in "real life".  Some relationships you maintain forever.  Some will come and go over time.  Some will never make it off the ground to begin with! 
It's easier, in some ways, to open up online.  You can bear your soul while still maintaining some sense of anonymity.  You don't HAVE to show a picture of yourself, you don't HAVE to ever meet that person face-to-face.  You only reveal what you want to reveal. 
#8 | 1817 days ago

Are you telling me you all aren't just some random bots programmed to amuse me whenever I log in?

I have very few friends in "real life" and online. I am an (extreme) introvert, always have been, attempting not to be, but obviously failing at that.  But the friends I do have, and keep, come from both worlds.
32  
#9 | 1817 days ago
naturallyholistic (+)

it is important to have that face-to-face communication since most interactions are nonverbal.  However, what we are trying to duplicate here at FanIQ is what everybody in life thrives for and that is the connection to humanity through unity and community. 
#10 | 1817 days ago

I think it would be better if we were just virtual friends;
I may have something to hide..
#11 | 1817 days ago
18packabs (+)

I have met in person almost 50 people that I have met online. By the time I get back from Talladega and Florida next Month I will have exceeded the 50 mark. Except for 3 individuals, I stay in contact with the other 40 plus. Some are now my friends for life, some I may never see again because of life and schedules.

I have plans to meet even more in February, and I look forward to meeting many, many more. Like some have said if you are true to who and how you are it doesn't matter if you meet online or in person. I am very thankful for places like this were people with a common interest can talk about those things. Anything gained from that contact is just a BONUS.

I say just manage people until you get to know them. Do not give anyone more information than you feel comfortable with. I like to give every body a chance to be friends, we all get High 5's and TU from new people, I say see who and how they are. I have cut contact off with some people, but I refuse to close off others. Every opportunity to make a new friend should be afforded to somebody. I won't let any one bad situation ruin that for me.
100  
#12 | 1817 days ago

Best comment  JESS,kudos.
I personaly care to much for friendship no mater online or not and we can be not just virtual friends if we want,wink.
Very nice question auntwisa.

100  
#13 | 1817 days ago

THIS IS A POLL !!!!! Yes, a believe in virtual friends, I have someone that about 9 years, when I beguin to my PC , because my husband was ill, when he dead, they call me by Phone from Spain,France , yes I believe in virtual friends, and yes, they can be friends for all my life, whe dont need fisic contact, our soul are in the same ,I wait here was like that, FRIENDS, AMIGOS .-
And Lisa, you must be strong, is a long journey to the widows ,I  have hope in you .-
79  
#14 | 1817 days ago
Cherrie (+)

Now that you mention it, I do look forward to chatting to my on-line friends as much as I like to meet up with my...I was going to say real friends, but then that would indicate that my on-line friendships are fake; and that's not true for me. I have made a connection with a few people on-line that I may never meet, and that does not diminish the quality of our friendship.

GREAT POLL, LISA
#15 | 1817 days ago

This is very complicated programming.
This is an alternate, computer reality that ties by string theory into physical life.
Does not compute.
#16 | 1817 days ago

Cherrie wrote:
Now that you mention it, I do look forward to chatting to my on-line friends as much as I like to meet up with my...I was going to say real friends, but then that would indicate that my on-line friendships are fake; and that's not true for me. I have made a connection with a few people on-line that I may never meet, and that does not diminish the quality of our friendship.

GREAT POLL, LISA
Oh cherrie you choose that avatar to seduce me?ok it worked.....
When can we chat? wink.
hahahhaahahahaahaahahaahaa
100  
#17 | 1817 days ago

GREAT POLL !!! KUDOS!!! I have met so many different cultures & people that I love dearly now !! I'm loving & caring ..I recently I did a
GREAT THING for a total STRANGER - As soon as she gets well - she is going to do what she's dreamed of " Riding a Harley!!" From that moment WE'VE BEEN BEST FRIENDS ! AND I'd do anything for somebody else if I could !!! I take time for both my family !! I have the time that I spend with my own -when they aren't here -I have you !!! The Q is a timeout from the hectic world & a place to go to have fun -
  I love meeting new people & reading about new cultures .You can make friends & just be yourself - Hey, I am !!!
#18 | 1817 days ago

Great poll and we do have a few friends online
7777.77  
#19 | 1817 days ago
Wordsmith (+)

Lisa, great question.

I believe that, like most technological advances, there are great benefits to the internet. But also great risks and responsibilities. When the car was invented, it allowed us to interact with people 20 and 30 miles away much more easily than before. It literally and figuratively broadened our horizons. However, as it became an integral part of our lives, we began to pave over our parks and green space with parking lots and highways.

The internet has allowed us to share information with so many more people. The truth can easily be disseminated, as well as information that helps us improve our lives can be provided to many. Sometimes, however, the internet also allows people to be bold and expect no consequences. At those times, we as internet neighbors, need to speak up and politely but firmly confront these neighbors. Would you not intercede if one neighbor was painting racist words on another neighbors lawn? What if they made fun of their English every time they spoke at a backyard BBQ.

The internet is a fantastic advancement of man. But it comes with great responsibility on each of us to weigh what is being said as truthful. And to take it upon ourselves to verify what we read before we agree with it, or even stand by while injustices are being done.

Again, GREAT POLL, Lisa!! I look forward to your next one. (even if it contains a mention of my dear departed friend, wink wink)

58  
#20 | 1817 days ago

Lisa this is a really good question. I know I have made true friends here, and people I would have never been able to meet anywhere else. I said in another poll this is a family of some sorts and we are. And let's face it we may be a dysfunctional family but art least we put the fun in the dysfunctional.
8  
#21 | 1817 days ago

(Edited by mojorisin188)
Yes I agree with everyone above.

I am an outgoing person, so it was strange that when I first found FanIQ, I was on it all the time, morning noon and night. I was hooked.  I enjoyed the dysfunctional way we all became a "Family".  What is a true friend?  Well I have had some friends in the past that were not from a computer; screw me over, steal from me and cheat on me... so there is no way for me to answer that question.

I am blessed with an open mind and heart.  I agree that I have met people on here that I wouldnt have ever had the chance to meet without using my passport.  I look forward to reading the comments and rants that some post.  I do miss some that have left and I will not forget the things that they have taught me indirectly.

I am trying to meet several people from here in the future, there are some I would love to just party with and some I would like to spend more time with than in front of a computer monitor.

Times are tough for everyone nowadays, so travelling can be put on a hold or make things alittle tight.. but I would like to meet you guys anyways... and I dont mean that literally just the guys... i mean all of my friends..

I am the same on the computer as I am in person... I am very outspoken and lively.  So dont be surprised if you find me the same way if should ever  we have the pleasure and gift of meeting.





 
#22 | 1817 days ago

 Just 1 thing to say -

"We are living logically more keeping away emotions. There should be a balance of everything but thats what getting away from all sides. Hope Man never turns to machine logically by living the whole life justifying (I am Right, this is what 2day's world is)".
#23 | 1817 days ago
jasonwrites (+)

Great poll and outstanding comment by Jess... I really can't say it any better (and I'm always reluctant to admit such!)

I have very strong opinions on this topic, as I've voiced elsewhere. The fact is that since 1996 the Web and the social interaction I gain through it has been a central part of my life. As I just mentioned in another comment today, I made some bad mistakes that caused me to alienate my circle of friends from high school and college days. So there have been times that if it were not for my online friends, I'd have none at all. That's sad and hard to admit. It's not entirely true at the moment, but my offline friends are few and far between and I really don't interact with anyone on a daily basis outside of my wife and kids and co-workers. And I really don't know how one makes new friends "out there" when you're married with children and working full-time. I'm not really outgoing, although I am friendly, but I do not often strike up conversations with strangers, as my wife can.

I have no persona; I am who I am. I express myself much better through writing than speaking (thus that part of my name), so I would say that online you see my "true self" probably more than if I worked with you or ran into you at the store or even came over to your house. Also, I kind of resent the term IRL-- "in real life"-- because it somehow implies that the rich interactions in this realm are somehow not real. I prefer to use "online" and "offline." It's kind of like when my stepkids refer to me as "not my real dad" even though I know what they mean by it, because in so many ways I'm more a real dad to them than their biological father is.

It would sound corny to say how much this site has grown to mean to me, but it's true. I had just about given up on finding any kind of social site that gave me the same kind of fun interaction that I enjoyed on a couple of other sites in the late 90s and early 2000s. But just when all appeared lost, I really got into the Q. I would LOVE to meet just about everyone I talk to on here. In fact, I know several of them live in Georgia and Florida so that when I go home to visit my mom in Atlanta, I'm hoping...
42  
#24 | 1817 days ago

I totally with this. Very well put.
#25 | 1817 days ago
AndiLee0388 (+)

jasonwrites wrote:
Great poll and outstanding comment by Jess... I really can't say it any better (and I'm always reluctant to admit such!)

I have very strong opinions on this topic, as I've voiced elsewhere. The fact is that since 1996 the Web and the social interaction I gain through it has been a central part of my life. As I just mentioned in another comment today, I made some bad mistakes that caused me to alienate my circle of friends from high school and college days. So there have been times that if it were not for my online friends, I'd have none at all. That's sad and hard to admit. It's not entirely true at the moment, but my offline friends are few and far between and I really don't interact with anyone on a daily basis outside of my wife and kids and co-workers. And I really don't know how one makes new friends "out there" when you're married with children and working full-time. I'm not really outgoing, although I am friendly, but I do not often strike up conversations with strangers, as my wife can.

I have no persona; I am who I am. I express myself much better through writing than speaking (thus that part of my name), so I would say that online you see my "true self" probably more than if I worked with you or ran into you at the store or even came over to your house. Also, I kind of resent the term IRL-- "in real life"-- because it somehow implies that the rich interactions in this realm are somehow not real. I prefer to use "online" and "offline." It's kind of like when my stepkids refer to me as "not my real dad" even though I know what they mean by it, because in so many ways I'm more a real dad to them than their biological father is.

It would sound corny to say how much this site has grown to mean to me, but it's true. I had just about given up on finding any kind of social site that gave me the same kind of fun interaction that I enjoyed on a couple of other sites in the late 90s and early 2000s. But just when all appeared lost, I really got into the Q. I would LOVE to meet just about everyone I talk to on here. In fact, I know several of them live in Georgia and Florida so that when I go home to visit my mom in Atlanta, I'm hoping...
C'mon down, I can then talk major Gator Crap in person..LOL
3  
#26 | 1817 days ago

noti4 wrote:
THIS IS A POLL !!!!! Yes, a believe in virtual friends, I have someone that about 9 years, when I beguin to my PC , because my husband was ill, when he dead, they call me by Phone from Spain,France , yes I believe in virtual friends, and yes, they can be friends for all my life, whe dont need fisic contact, our soul are in the same ,I wait here was like that, FRIENDS, AMIGOS .-
And Lisa, you must be strong, is a long journey to the widows ,I  have hope in you .-
Thank you for your expression of kindness.  As I am sure you feel with the loss of your husband, I never thought in my wildest dreams that at 51 years old I would be alone.  Well, not alone but with my animals.  Thank you for your understanding and may God bless you.
#27 | 1817 days ago

Lisa, what a awesome poll not because I was told to say this but because you opened up and shared with us. People often find themselves in new and awkward situations glad you were not afraid to join in. You with others make this a wonderful place. I am always honest and sometimes as I have said before you might not like what I say, but I am always honest, besides the stalking comments of course. If at some point in time something happened and I was alone I might consider meeting someone here.
On another note when I was single and on another networking site, we met as a group in Springfield Illinois and we had the time of our lives. Just saying, there are very good possibilities that you can meet some rather sweet and descent people that will remain your friends. If you ever want to know why I am so warped in my ways of thinking or my sense of humor I would be more then willing to tell you maybe not in this poll but another way. Thanks Lisa 10,000    
69  
#28 | 1817 days ago

jasonwrites wrote:
Great poll and outstanding comment by Jess... I really can't say it any better (and I'm always reluctant to admit such!)

I have very strong opinions on this topic, as I've voiced elsewhere. The fact is that since 1996 the Web and the social interaction I gain through it has been a central part of my life. As I just mentioned in another comment today, I made some bad mistakes that caused me to alienate my circle of friends from high school and college days. So there have been times that if it were not for my online friends, I'd have none at all. That's sad and hard to admit. It's not entirely true at the moment, but my offline friends are few and far between and I really don't interact with anyone on a daily basis outside of my wife and kids and co-workers. And I really don't know how one makes new friends "out there" when you're married with children and working full-time. I'm not really outgoing, although I am friendly, but I do not often strike up conversations with strangers, as my wife can.

I have no persona; I am who I am. I express myself much better through writing than speaking (thus that part of my name), so I would say that online you see my "true self" probably more than if I worked with you or ran into you at the store or even came over to your house. Also, I kind of resent the term IRL-- "in real life"-- because it somehow implies that the rich interactions in this realm are somehow not real. I prefer to use "online" and "offline." It's kind of like when my stepkids refer to me as "not my real dad" even though I know what they mean by it, because in so many ways I'm more a real dad to them than their biological father is.

It would sound corny to say how much this site has grown to mean to me, but it's true. I had just about given up on finding any kind of social site that gave me the same kind of fun interaction that I enjoyed on a couple of other sites in the late 90s and early 2000s. But just when all appeared lost, I really got into the Q. I would LOVE to meet just about everyone I talk to on here. In fact, I know several of them live in Georgia and Florida so that when I go home to visit my mom in Atlanta, I'm hoping...
Thank you Jason for you more than honest response to this poll.  I was abused as a child, never had the opportunity to speak my mind or stick up for myself.  As such, I relate much easier in the written word than orally.  As life progressed, my life was filled with abuse, and then many losses.  I am in a state of healing.  Being able to talk to all of you is part of my therapy.  I can express my thoughts wrong or right and you all respond.  I am realizing through utilizing this site that I have, although some may view it as warped, a great sense of humor.  I know this from the thumbs up recognitions that you give me.  Your outreach personally to me, and your feedback to my postings have been an encouragement and validation of the woman that I am. 
 As some have said here, they are who they are, I too stand naked in front of all of you.  I am an intelligent, loving, caring, FUNNY, woman.  I thank all of you here for letting me be..........Me.  You don't know what a blessing it is to finally have that freedom.
Would love to meet anyone traveling to Arizona or Laughlin.  My door will always be open to my brothers and sisters on the Q.
#29 | 1817 days ago
kammi42 (+)

I am alive today and able to come here to be entertained ,laugh , cry and hopefully get to make new friends because an old friend saved my life. We had been exchanging emails and chatting for a few years and one night we were talking online with voice and i had not been well for a few days, anyway i collapsed and the next thing i remember was the police and ambulance talking to me. I had a blood clot and because i live alone and was on days off no one would have known for days. I live in Tasmania  AUS and this friend lives in Nebraska USA he found out how to call the police in my town gave them my address and saved my life. We are still friends and always will be. I am ALIVE because of the internet and a virtual friend . I think a virtual friend is as  real a  friend as we care to make them and as we all can be if you so choose.  
#30 | 1817 days ago
AndiLee0388 (+)

(Edited by AndiLee0388)
auntwisa wrote:
Thank you Jason for you more than honest response to this poll.  I was abused as a child, never had the opportunity to speak my mind or stick up for myself.  As such, I relate much easier in the written word than orally.  As life progressed, my life was filled with abuse, and then many losses.  I am in a state of healing.  Being able to talk to all of you is part of my therapy.  I can express my thoughts wrong or right and you all respond.  I am realizing through utilizing this site that I have, although some may view it as warped, a great sense of humor.  I know this from the thumbs up recognitions that you give me.  Your outreach personally to me, and your feedback to my postings have been an encouragement and validation of the woman that I am. 
 As some have said here, they are who they are, I too stand naked in front of all of you.  I am an intelligent, loving, caring, FUNNY, woman.  I thank all of you here for letting me be..........Me.  You don't know what a blessing it is to finally have that freedom.
Would love to meet anyone traveling to Arizona or Laughlin.  My door will always be open to my brothers and sisters on the Q.
You made me cry when I read this, seriously. Keep on doing what you are doing, because you  are a truly funny, gifted and caring person, well, IMO, from what I know of you on here.

Healing from past abuse is a very hard thing, but one day, hopefully, the light will just click, and you will feel like the weights that have held you down have lifted. At least that has been my experience. I wasnt abused as a child, but as a grown woman, for many many years. It was a long hard journey to find me again, and friends I met online, not here, but another place, absolutely helped me to heal. You know how to find me, should you ever wanna blow off some steam or just chat!
3  
#31 | 1817 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
Jess you are the Queen Here Never Leave your Court!
#32 | 1817 days ago

(Edited by ankurnathmishra)
Humans have a great quality called polymorphism which applies as the ability to behave according to the surrounding environment, the same person can have different behaviors or play different roles based on the company he is in, some times we are sons and daughters at another we might be a parent or a friend or a worker or when on the q we are faniq members and everywhere we go we meet people we like some we don't like some those we like we tend to call them our friends as we interact with these friends we discover more about the real human behind the form which we face and when we are able to connect to that real human behind all of this then we forge a bond stronger than any other, once that comes in place all the things surrounding it become meaningless.
1  
#33 | 1817 days ago

Excellent poll!  I think Jess hit the nail on the head.  We've all become technology freaks, and we spend more time getting to know people online.  That said, while I've never met anyone on the Q except for my college & HS friends that I recruited (those a$$holes don't even bother with this site), I've gotten to know a lot of awesome people here.  Lisa, I like to think we're all one big happy family here.
69  
#34 | 1817 days ago

 wow what poll!!!! Jess peg it profoundly....I belong to a genalogy group and have met people from all over the world, last christmas we did a gift exchange with someone we picked ,well the lady i picked  lives in England and she had a bad stroke and almost died....she survived but now she is almost blind. well that lady means the world to me and now she has been taught how to read the keyboard for the blind and send emails to me every week.......it opens the traveler in all of us to be able to ask how is the weather where your at,and know its a live person on the other end that wants to talk to you not like some friends that i have in my hometown who would rather steal and beg borrow  from you without blinking a eyelash,where our computer friends actually enjoy and look forward to our daily/weekly chats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least i know my do..........
#35 | 1817 days ago
mongoose409 (+)

Wow, some really thoughtful and insightful comments on here.

From Jason, "but my offline friends are few and far between and I really don't interact with anyone on a daily basis outside of my wife and kids and co-workers. And I really don't know how one makes new friends "out there" when you're married with children and working full-time. I'm not really outgoing, although I am friendly",
this pretty much sums it up for me, plus the fact of living in a small town of 2 500 people.
I've been on a lot of forums in my time on the net, from hot rods to car modelling to airbrushing. And with very few exceptions, most of the time it's strictly business and swapping info and not much beyond that.  On Q it's like a huge coffee shop with people interacting and shooting the breeze. I'm still new to most and I'm slowly making pals here but at the very least it's much more interaction then with the friends I spend time with when the computor goes off.
#36 | 1817 days ago

What a girlie poll.
I kid, I kid

My short and simple response to this poll is that I enjoy having the ability to communicate with others from all around the world on a variety of subjects, not just sports, because, well, I like to talk a lot, and I can't always do that in the real world (not that FanIQ isn't real).
0  
#37 | 1817 days ago
rileyjames47 (+)

mongoose409 wrote:
Wow, some really thoughtful and insightful comments on here.

From Jason, "but my offline friends are few and far between and I really don't interact with anyone on a daily basis outside of my wife and kids and co-workers. And I really don't know how one makes new friends "out there" when you're married with children and working full-time. I'm not really outgoing, although I am friendly",
this pretty much sums it up for me, plus the fact of living in a small town of 2 500 people.
I've been on a lot of forums in my time on the net, from hot rods to car modelling to airbrushing. And with very few exceptions, most of the time it's strictly business and swapping info and not much beyond that.  On Q it's like a huge coffee shop with people interacting and shooting the breeze. I'm still new to most and I'm slowly making pals here but at the very least it's much more interaction then with the friends I spend time with when the computor goes off.
 This is a very intelligent comment about yourself and one I can relate to, especially with traveling alot during certain times of the year. I think friendships on line can be a great thing, especially when there are things you like to talk about and can't with family members or work friends. You still possess a degree of anonymity, which helps some people , who are shy and don't open up easily.

  I also think on-line friends can be better than regular friends since you are less apt to get stabbed in the back or be let down by a friend. Many of us have families and jobs and that is it. However for those that have many friends maybe being on here isn't that big of a deal, which is fine. I think people are on here for many reasons that fills gaps, and everyone has gaps.
#38 | 1817 days ago

Totally agree with Jess on this one, plus, friendship is not a matter of physical proximity or see each other faces everyday, is to share experiences, laughs and sometimes sorrows, who of u has not laughed so loud in front of ur compu or spilled your drink on the keyboard when somebody comes out with a funny comment, or reflected about important issues, or cried with something we read,  there's no need of being one beside the other if we can share feelings this way just as we do with our closest friends. I have found myself sending e-mails to Q friends that I have never seen when I heard about their cities being under attack in the middle of these stupid wars that are happening all over the world and I feel the sorrow, and the fear of losing friends that  I haven´t met personally. There are bad things we can find in the net but the truth is that it has brought a lot of resources so everybody can realize, discuss, and enjoy with people that are thousands of miles away. I'm happy with all those that consider me a virtual friend or just a virtual acquaintance. I really appreciate everyone.

#39 | 1816 days ago

Yes. There's nothing wrong with that either.
514  
#40 | 1816 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
 
#41 | 1816 days ago

mojorisin188 wrote:
Yes I agree with everyone above.

I am an outgoing person, so it was strange that when I first found FanIQ, I was on it all the time, morning noon and night. I was hooked.  I enjoyed the dysfunctional way we all became a "Family".  What is a true friend?  Well I have had some friends in the past that were not from a computer; screw me over, steal from me and cheat on me... so there is no way for me to answer that question.

I am blessed with an open mind and heart.  I agree that I have met people on here that I wouldnt have ever had the chance to meet without using my passport.  I look forward to reading the comments and rants that some post.  I do miss some that have left and I will not forget the things that they have taught me indirectly.

I am trying to meet several people from here in the future, there are some I would love to just party with and some I would like to spend more time with than in front of a computer monitor.

Times are tough for everyone nowadays, so travelling can be put on a hold or make things alittle tight.. but I would like to meet you guys anyways... and I dont mean that literally just the guys... i mean all of my friends..

I am the same on the computer as I am in person... I am very outspoken and lively.  So dont be surprised if you find me the same way if should ever  we have the pleasure and gift of meeting.





 
 KIM! U R RIGHT 
This truly  an OPEN PASSPORT TO LOVELY FRIENDSHIP
#42 | 1816 days ago

for now i can say yes it is! i have to be frank  about that..i know  lot of good people here some of them are interesting to be with but i dont know the feellings yet..im open and looking forward for whatever may comes along the way.
#43 | 1816 days ago

 great POLL
apt reactions/answers
LOVELY PEOPLE

but we really missed MOOSER..
#44 | 1816 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
no i think
#45 | 1816 days ago

First of all, I'd like to say thank you to Lisa for putting this amazing poll together. I am fairly new to the Q and it is beyond any doubt, the greatest site on the net as far as I'm concerned. I sat here and read all the way down the page and it was amazing how almost every comment had something in it that I have been thru or discovered. I am fortunate to live in a very rural area that is farm country. The people around here still say hello to total strangers, even the Amish intermingle with the rest of us and if anybody needs help or suffers a death, everyone helps in one way or another. So life for me isn't just the internet.. I have met some very amazing people on the Q and most of them have become friends. True friends just like others have already said. I have only ever had two misunderstandings with someone else and both were resolved very easily and now we are friends. In fact, one of the Mods also became friends with one of them. I do not have any living family, but I now have a very large adopted family so to speak. These are people from all across the US as well as around the world who have become friends. I am who I am on or off the computer. I always speak my heart and mind when I respond to things.  I too would love to meet as many of you as possible. I already have plans to do just that here very shortly and would love to meet anyone who would like to join in. The greatest thing I've found here on the Q is my kindred spirit. That is very rare in regular every day life, but somehow this person came into my life thru many long conversations over several months. We have plans to meet soon also. I'm just amazed at how everyone of us can get along and there are no problems. When you talk to people for awhile, you learn things about them that come thru in a conversation or they tell you. It's great when something clicks and that's all it takes. Wouldn't it be great if the whole world could just talk and listen. I think a lot of things would change. I luv all of my Q friends and wish everyone nothing but the best.  ~Peace~  God bless everyone.
38  
#46 | 1816 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
Great comment Jess...you covered all the bases with your comment.. The best one is about going outside and playing. That is so very true!...
38  
#47 | 1815 days ago
NorseHeathen (+)

All hail the new "electronic tribalism"!
#48 | 1815 days ago

Aside with the obvious of making new friends, what I've enjoyed is connecting with the old ones too. 
100  
#49 | 1815 days ago

Yeah, we're virtual friends.  But it's just another designation.  I have bar friends I drink with.  I have gym friends I workout with.  I have work friends.  You guys are the friends I Q with.
0  
#50 | 1815 days ago

Great poll, actually we are just virtual friends but because of that I think we tend to pour our hearts out more
1000  
#51 | 1815 days ago

Great poll LISA!!!  this is y i like iq. the togetherness on this site is off the chain! doesn't matter where U go on this site or how U feel when U get through reading,typing, or looking, i don't about the rest i leave my desk top with a smile. LOL Smiley Face                       


Keep Your Head Up Lisa! Keep getting up and out of the bed everyday and time heels all hurt Lisa!
#52 | 1811 days ago

AndiLee0388 wrote:
You made me cry when I read this, seriously. Keep on doing what you are doing, because you  are a truly funny, gifted and caring person, well, IMO, from what I know of you on here.

Healing from past abuse is a very hard thing, but one day, hopefully, the light will just click, and you will feel like the weights that have held you down have lifted. At least that has been my experience. I wasnt abused as a child, but as a grown woman, for many many years. It was a long hard journey to find me again, and friends I met online, not here, but another place, absolutely helped me to heal. You know how to find me, should you ever wanna blow off some steam or just chat!
Thank you for your kind words....See what a blessing it is to be on the Q
#53 | 1811 days ago

patlw1219 wrote:
Great poll LISA!!!  this is y i like iq. the togetherness on this site is off the chain! doesn't matter where U go on this site or how U feel when U get through reading,typing, or looking, i don't about the rest i leave my desk top with a smile. LOL Smiley Face                       


Keep Your Head Up Lisa! Keep getting up and out of the bed everyday and time heels all hurt Lisa!
You are so right, the caring and compassion within this site is like no other. Everybody, keep speaking your heart, your mind and your soul, because we are out here listening. Thanks for your kind words pat, God Bless you.
#54 | 1811 days ago

mongoose409 wrote:
Wow, some really thoughtful and insightful comments on here.

From Jason, "but my offline friends are few and far between and I really don't interact with anyone on a daily basis outside of my wife and kids and co-workers. And I really don't know how one makes new friends "out there" when you're married with children and working full-time. I'm not really outgoing, although I am friendly",
this pretty much sums it up for me, plus the fact of living in a small town of 2 500 people.
I've been on a lot of forums in my time on the net, from hot rods to car modelling to airbrushing. And with very few exceptions, most of the time it's strictly business and swapping info and not much beyond that.  On Q it's like a huge coffee shop with people interacting and shooting the breeze. I'm still new to most and I'm slowly making pals here but at the very least it's much more interaction then with the friends I spend time with when the computor goes off.
If I knew the proper procedure for asking for friends, I would invite you to be mine.  Alas, I have no idea.  So, Mongoose, will you be my friend on fan IQ?  And Jess, will you make sure this happens for us, I mean if Mongoose wants of corse.  Thanks.
#55 | 1811 days ago
mongoose409 (+)

Oh, I do, I do!
#56 | 1811 days ago

mongoose409 wrote:
Oh, I do, I do!
Thanks Mongoose, I welcome you.  As with Jon and Kate.......It may not be the best life, but it's my life....welcome to it.  lol
#57 | 1809 days ago

Why did Mooser leave?
1  
#58 | 1808 days ago

I, Myself, have grown found of the Q too. There are so many interesting individuals on here. It's incredible to think how we can all come together on one site and have fun or have fun making fun of others and their teams. YOu get to share how you feel, what you are going through or just how bad of a day you've had, with people you can really open up to.It is an honor and a privelege to be a part of this site. I have met some really great people on here that I call FRIENDS!! I am truly grateful for all the people on here. You never what you are going to get 'til you login. HAVE A GREAT DAY Q!! Much Love and Respect, Alfred
39  
#59 | 1808 days ago

:)
#60 | 1800 days ago

Great poll! I agree with everyone above! =)
54  
#61 | 1800 days ago

Jess wrote:
First let me start by saying - this is a great poll, Lisa.
Second let me continue by asking the rest of you - please don't attack Lisa for the mention of mooser's name in the introduction of this poll. This is not a duplicate of the previous polls in reference to mooser or anyone else. This poll asks a very valid, interesting, and controversial question. One I'm excited to see some of your answers to.

I think that there are two sides to this coin. I agree that in today's world of technology, we have become hermits. We don't get "out there" anymore (well, most of us don't). We don't make an effort to get to know our neighbors or our peers at work. We don't open up to people F2F. Some of us wouldn't anyway, because it's not in our nature. However, there are some of us who have changed with the times - I think it would be fair to admit that I'm one of them. It's hard to be transferred every few years to a new location - it's easier that most of my friends "live in my computer". However, I've been fortunate to make a few friends "on the outside" - maybe by accident.

The other side of the coin - I've come into contact with some people I would never have met, thanks to the internet. I met one of the best friends I've ever had through FanIQ, in fact. We meet people online, we're comfortable opening up to them, baring our true selves. I think that under honest circumstances, this can lead to deeper friendships than some of the superficial ones F2F. I think that it's good to take advantage of everything technology has to offer when it comes to connecting with new friends (and reconnecting with past!). But I also think it's important to go outside and play once in a while.
Well said...
#62 | 1800 days ago
ssusiej46 (+)

I   am me on here are off of here, i have nothing to hide, i am very open with my life, I do not get out much because careing for my mom is a full time job, and i have meant some very wonderfull people here,  I  try to learn something everyday from all of you, I did not get a education and my spelling is alfull,  but what i find is a blessing is that people except me for me and i have nothing to prove  to anyone and i consider all my friends and if you need me i will try hard to be here for you, its all about heart  ,loveing and careing and i mean this GOD BLESS ALL  and a smile to everyone
#63 | 1791 days ago

What an interesting poll. Obviously i can see the person who wrote this poll is a very caring person.If you feel better about pouring your guts out on here then i say go for it.Some will show real concern and some will show fake concern.As their only concern is what they want from you.I met one of my friends from Scotland .Her and her family came to visit me in Canada.We had a blast!! I took them out for dinner,a baseball game (JAYS)Showed them niagra falls.It was a great experience.But prior to meeting we could both tell that our friendship was genuine.There are  ALOT  of con artists out there and you have to beware.This is a great place to hang out and drown your sorrows,But you also have to remember there is a darkside to the internet as well.Its no different than walking home late at night  and feeling you are going to get mugged or what ever. I say its great to have friends but beware
69  
#64 | 1791 days ago

You blow my mind!!! I really enjoy reading your responses.They are so down to earth . No matter how smart you are you make it easily read for all.That is a talent.There have been alot of great responses. I may need to borrow some respect points from someone i am almost out on this poll alone :)
69  
#65 | 563 days ago

(Edited by icfeet)
WOW! How did I miss this poll?  It was great to see some old Q'ers from 3.5 years ago...this poll was created on 10/11/09...prior to the Season 2 changeover....sorry for resurrecting, but this was a good poll.
#66 | 563 days ago

I originally missed it too. What the heck was I doing?

Post a Comment   Already a user? Sign in here
Join FanIQ - It's Free
FanIQ is the ultimate free community for sports fans.
Talk sports with fans from all over - 1,649,417+ Comments
Track your game picks - 38,670,182,382+ Sports Predictions
Prove you know sports - 116,275+ Trivia Questions
Find fans of your teams - 11,453,110+ New Friends
What would you do?
Asked by Wizard31508 | Locker Room, Personal | 1 questions asked 12/12/12
12 opinions | 14 comments | Last by icfeet
Mating Season
Asked by rockysnappyduke | Locker Room, Personal | 6 questions asked 07/01/13
132 opinions | 29 comments | Last by KSbengals99
Filter Error 10/2
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Today
1 opinion | 2 comments | Last by kteacher
Filter Error 10/1
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked Yesterday
4 opinions | 31 comments | Last by hskrdave
Filter Error 9/29
Asked by kobe_lova | Locker Room | 1 questions asked 09/29/14
8 opinions | 28 comments | Last by ohwell_